Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Prisma Cloud by Palo Alto Networks OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Prisma Cloud by Palo Alto Networks is #1 ranked solution in top Web Application Firewalls, #1 ranked solution in Cloud Workload Protection Platforms , #1 ranked solution in top Microsegmentation Software tools, #1 ranked solution in top Cloud Security Posture Management (CSPM) tools, #1 ranked solution in top Cloud-Native Application Protection Platforms (CNAPP) tools, and #2 ranked solution in Container Security Solutions. PeerSpot users give Prisma Cloud by Palo Alto Networks an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. Prisma Cloud by Palo Alto Networks is most commonly compared to Microsoft Defender for Cloud: Prisma Cloud by Palo Alto Networks vs Microsoft Defender for Cloud. Prisma Cloud by Palo Alto Networks is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 71% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.
Prisma Cloud by Palo Alto Networks Buyer's Guide

Download the Prisma Cloud by Palo Alto Networks Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Prisma Cloud by Palo Alto Networks?

Prisma Cloud is a comprehensive cloud-native security platform (CNSP) that provides security and compliance coverage for infrastructure, applications, data, and all cloud-native technology stacks throughout the development lifecycle. Prisma Cloud safeguards cloud operations across hybrid and multi-cloud environments, all from a single, unified solution, using a combination of cloud service provider APIs and a unified agent framework.

The move to the cloud has changed all aspects of the application development lifecycle, with security being foremost among them. Security and DevOps teams face a growing number of entities to secure as organizations adopt cloud-native approaches. Constantly changing environments challenge developers to build and deploy at a rapid pace without compromising on security. Prisma Cloud by Palo Alto Networks delivers complete security and compliance coverage across the development lifecycle on any cloud environment, enabling you to develop cloud-native applications with confidence.

Prisma Cloud Features

Prisma Cloud offers comprehensive security coverage in all areas of the cloud development lifecycle:

• Code security: Protect configurations, scan code before it enters production, and integrate with other tools.

• Security posture management: Monitor posture, identify and remove threats, and provide compliance across public clouds.

• Workload protection: Secure hosts and containers across the application lifecycle.

• Network security: Gain network visibility and enforce micro segmentation.

• Identity security: Enforce permissions and secure identities across clouds.

Benefits of Prisma Cloud

• Unified management: All users use the same dashboards built via shared onboarding, allowing cloud security to be addressed from a single agent framework.

• High-speed onboarding: Multiple cloud accounts and users are onboarded within seconds, rapidly activating integrated security capabilities.

• Multiple integration options: Prisma Cloud can integrate with widely used IDE, SCM, and CI/CD workflows early in development, enabling users to identify and fix vulnerabilities and compliance issues before they enter production. Prisma Cloud supports all major workflows, automation frameworks, and third-party tools.

Reviews from Real Users

Prisma Cloud stands out among its competitors for a number of reasons. Two major ones are its integration capabilities, as well as its visibility, which makes it very easy for users to get a full picture of the cloud environment.

Alex J., an information security manager at Cobalt.io, writes, “Prisma Cloud has enabled us to take a very strong preventive approach to cloud security. One of the hardest things with cloud is getting visibility into workloads. With Prisma Cloud, you can go in and get that visibility, then set up policies to alert on risky behavior, e.g., if there are security groups or firewall ports open up. So, it is very helpful in preventing configuration errors in the cloud by having visibility. If there are issues, then you can find them and fix them.”

Luke L., a cloud security specialist for a financial services firm, writes, “You can also integrate with Amazon Managed Services. You can also get a snapshot in time, whether that's over a 24-hour period, seven days, or a month, to determine what the estate might look like at a certain point in time and generate reports from that for vulnerability management forums.”

Prisma Cloud by Palo Alto Networks was previously known as Palo Alto Networks Prisma Cloud, Prisma Public Cloud, RedLock Cloud 360, RedLock, Twistlock, Aporeto.

Prisma Cloud by Palo Alto Networks Customers

Amgen, Genpact, Western Asset, Zipongo, Proofpoint, NerdWallet, Axfood, 21st Century Fox, Veeva Systems, Reinsurance Group of America

Prisma Cloud by Palo Alto Networks Video

Archived Prisma Cloud by Palo Alto Networks Reviews (more than two years old)

Governance Test and Compliance Officer at Thales
We are able to filter alerts by security level so our teams understand which situations are critical
  • "I was looking for a vulnerability scanner and I was looking for one place in which I could find everything. This tool not only does vulnerability scanning, but it also gives me an asset management tool."
  • "We would like it to have more features from the risk and compliance perspectives."

What is our primary use case?

I was looking for one tool which, as a WAF, could provide me with information regarding applications  and with features where I can oversee things.

We use the solution's ability to filter alerts by levels of security and it helps our teams understand which situations are the most critical. Based on the priorities that I get for my product, I can filter the notices the team needs to work on, to those that require immediate attention. That means it's easier for me to categorize and understand things exactly, on a single dashboard. I can see, at one point in time, that these are my 20 applications that are running. Out of them, I can see, for example, the five major vulnerabilities that I have — and it shows my risk tolerance — so I know that these five are above my risk tolerance. I know these need immediate attention and I can assign them to the team to be worked on immediately.

How has it helped my organization?

Instead of going for multiple tools, this tool has helped me to have one platform where I can have all the features and information I'm looking for.

The tool is working on the principles of governance, risk, and compliance as well. It even helps me in application-level firewall security. It's not just a single tool. It has helped me find out details about multiple things.

The integration with user tools is pretty easy; it's user-friendly.

In terms of a reduction in alerts, it has helped me out in not putting unnecessary time into a couple of things, which can be figured out at a glance. I would estimate the reduction in alerts at about 40 percent.

What is most valuable?

I was looking for a vulnerability scanner and I was looking for one place in which I could find everything. This tool not only does vulnerability scanning, but it also gives me an asset management tool.

It has been good in my test environment when it comes to scanning my infrastructure.

What needs improvement?

On the governance side of it, we did want it, but the licensing costs for that are so high. As a result, I have to integrate this solution with a couple of additional tools. For example, suppose I wish to assign something to an organization or to another person. To do that I have to integrate it with something like JIRA or Confluence where I can ask them to provide the pieces of information. If the licensing costs were a little lower, I would have been able to assign it then and there. As it is, though, I need to assign it from one platform to another platform, one where the team of engineering people is working. I still need to go to multiple platforms to check if something was assigned, and I have to keep checking between the two platforms to see whether it's not done or not.

Prisma Cloud by Palo Alto Networks
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Prisma Cloud by Palo Alto Networks. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have been using Prisma Cloud by Palo Alto Networks for five months, testing it and evaluating it during that time. We are planning to purchase it.

I have been evaluating this product from the point of view of DevOps. I have not been evaluating it from the security operations point of view.

Prisma Cloud actually has two solutions. One is a cloud-based solution and the other is their on-premise solution. I have had a look at and tested both of these tools.

It's a stable product.

It's scalable. We discussed that with them. We also discussed the scenario where I want to move from one cloud environment to another, or if I make some other changes. How flexible is the tool as far as working with different cloud environments goes? And it is perfectly fine in that regard.

If we deploy it, I will be using it quite extensively for my day-to-day vulnerability scans.

I would rate their technical support at nine out of 10. They have been very supportive. Every time I have called them they have been there for me.

I was using multiple tools from here and there: one tool for vulnerability scans, one for risk management. But this has provided me an answer for not just one tool but for multiple requirements that I have.

The initial setup was easy. I got to help from their technical department and the device is more or less plug-and-play. If you have specifications which are required by the cloud, and your products are running on those specific cases, then it becomes quite easy. You just have to install it and it's good to go in your infra.

Since I did it for my development center only, I just had to install one installer and then the agents were installed automatically after running a script. For the whole environment, it could not have taken more than a day or two.

Security tools are not cheap. This one is a little heavy on the budget, but so are all the other security tools I have evaluated.

There are no additional costs to the standard licensing fees for Prisma Cloud.

I looked at Trend Micro Cloud One Workload Security. Both it and Palo Alto Prisma Cloud are good for container-level security and scanning. But the financial part of it and budgeting play an important role.

With Prisma, it's not just one feature. It has also provided me with solutions for a couple more of my requirements. That was not the case with Trend Micro. In addition, Prisma Cloud was easy for me to figure out. The only con I see in Prisma Cloud is that because of its cost, I have to use multiple tools.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good tool. I would tell anybody to give a shot. It's easy, it's user-friendly; it's like a plug-and-play tool.

I am a single point of contact for this solution, right now. I'm working on it with my entire management to review things. I have to coordinate because of the multiple platforms they have. Roles have been assigned at different levels. There is a consultant's role, a reviewer's role, and there is an implementer's role. The latter is supposed to be working with them.

Root cause analysis needs to be done at my own level. The solution does inform me that a predicted vulnerability exists and this is the asset where it could be happening. But the intelligence has to be provided by the security consultant.

If something becomes visible during the build phase, we already have a pretty good area where we can change the product so that it does not impact the production environment.

The solution provides an integrated approach across the full lifecycle to provide visibility and security automation and, although we have not started using that part of it yet, it will definitely enable us to take a preventive approach to cloud security when we do use it.

Overall, it provides all the pieces of information that you require, in one place and time. I think it's going to be good to work with them.

Senior Manager at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Flags cloud compliance issues for us
  • "One of the most valuable features is the compliance of RedLock, which we are using for any issues with security. It flags them and that's the primary objective of that feature."
  • "The feedback that we have given to the Palo Alto team is that the UI can be improved. When you press the "back" button on your browser from the Investigate tab, the query that you're working on just disappears. It won't keep the query on the "back" button."

What is most valuable?

Prisma Cloud has multiple components. We are already using RedLock, and it has Twistlock included in it. It also has PureSec, which should be pretty useful for our cloud security.

One of the most valuable features is the compliance of RedLock, which we are using for any issues with security. It flags them and that's the primary objective of that feature. We are still working on implementing the other features that were integrated into Prisma Cloud from Twistlock and PureSec.

What needs improvement?

The feedback that we have given to the Palo Alto Networks team is that the UI can be improved. When you press the "back" button on your browser from the Investigate tab, the query that you're working on just disappears. It won't keep the query on the "back" button.

Also, the way the policies are structured and the alerts are created could be better. It requires a lot of manual work to search through the policies when creating an alert.

These are minute nuances. They are not major issues and are more about convenience than they are product bugs.

We are still working with the Palo Alto Networks representatives to implement our rollout.

Because we are already using Palo Alto Networks firewall, we expect Prisma Cloud should be pretty stable.

It's a team effort and multiple people will be involved.

What other advice do I have?

It's definitely a good product. If a company is heavily into the public cloud environment, they must look to use a product like this to gain good visibility into their security. It will also help with the compliance of how they are doing things in the cloud. It's definitely a good, must-have tool.

Prisma Cloud by Palo Alto Networks
September 2022
632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Manager - cybersecurity at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Sophisticated, easier, more user-friendly, and has a flexible deployment
  • "I would say Twistlock is a fairly sophisticated tool."
  • "In terms of improvement, there are some small things like hardening and making sure the Linux resources are deployed well but that's more at an operational level."

What is our primary use case?

In terms of our use cases, we are a telecom firm and we work a lot with telecom firms around the world, and so we have a lot of solutions other than Twistlock. We have applications, we have consumer-based solutions that we run on a daily basis, and heavily regulatory processes as well. We found it's better that we move our core application than our user systems on container because they're quick, they're effective, easy to deploy, and easy to maintain. But because of the sanctions, heavily regulated security is a very core part of the entire environment, and thus we had to go ahead and look for a solution that would help automate that security part and because it was almost impossible to go about doing that manually.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvement, there are some small things like hardening and making sure the Linux resources are deployed well but that's more at an operational level. Day-to-day, we do find a lot of issues but having a tool to help us with them is what we want because manually, it's not feasible for us. Other than that, we not really looking for any other add-ons or plug-ins because that was our core problem.

We have been using Twistlock for just under five months.

We had deployed it on-prem like it was on our infrastructure. It is primarily in our hands how we want to scale it because we could have run that across all of our data centers and multiply the licenses because it was fairly easy to acquire this. We have a running relationship with Palo Alto but we did not face any direct issues with scalability at the moment because we were running it on our premises.

We have people from Palo Alto. We have not had any major issues as such therein we had to reach out but there are some times we create service tickets that go to Palo Alto because Twistlock has networking image of audio open-source development so maybe sometimes there are glitches in that, and we reach out to them but more often the network is just that. We've never had any issues, major or drastic, issues that we need to reach out to L1 and L2.

The initial setup was very complex. We have more than 10,000 servers on-premises and this is excluding what we have off-prem and on cloud deployment as well.

We used an integration because we got them from Palo Alto. We have a network firewall from them.

What other advice do I have?

I would say Twistlock is a fairly sophisticated tool. It's not the most user-friendly so if somebody wants to use it for their deployment, their firm, they need to have the right people on your team to know how to use it because it's not a plug and play kind of software, like Aqua Security which is a little more plug and play. I think it's easier, more user-friendly, and has a more flexible kind of deployment. If you can configure it well, Twistlock is a lot better in providing you real-time statistics than Aqua Security.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

I recommend two months of POC in this. It's fairly new but until now it's been pretty good.

Sr. Manager IT Operations at a tech vendor with 5,001-10,000 employees
Provides cross-cloud security but it isn't so user-friendly
  • "The product is quite good for providing multi-clouds or cross-cloud security from a single-pane -of-glass."
  • "Palo Alto should work on ease-of-use and the user-friendliness to be more competitive with some competing products."

What is our primary use case?

We use cloud solutions generally for client demos of products.

How has it helped my organization?

It has not been implemented, but Prisma or Dome9 will provide us with better cloud security and less administration time for our cloud instances.

What is most valuable?

RedLock is quite good for providing multi-clouds or cross-cloud security.

What needs improvement?

In our testing, we have found the Check Point product CloudGuard Dome9 to be more user-friendly at this point. Palo Alto Prisma's interface was not as user-friendly. Palo Alto should work on this part of its solution to be more competitive with ease-of-use. I do not feel Palo Alto is short of any features, but if we compare the two side-by-side, I think the user interface for Palo Alto needs to be improved to make it at least as good as Dome9.

We just started evaluating it, so we have just been using it for a little more than a month doing some evaluations and proof of concept.

The product is stable.

We have not tested scalability extensively to this point because our cloud accounts are not being used so much that it warrants scaling it up. We only dedicated a small amount of resources for the product at this point while exploring it.

There are up to 10 users on RedLock in our company and there are never more than 10 at this point.

We worked with both the Palo Alto and Check Point technical support teams during our evaluations. So we were connected to the technical team at Palo Alto. Their technical support was excellent. The presales team was very proactive and helped us in every aspect we needed to resolve our queries during implementation and they provided knowledge to our team internally. The technical support from both vendors was very good. This was not a problem.

We have been using the native security solutions from each of the clouds or cloud service partners we deal with, but they have limited functionality. That is why we began to look into other options.

The initial setup was not too easy and yet not too complex. It was pretty good. The deployment took a couple of days. For deployment, it required only one person. For maintenance, it requires a team of engineers. We have a team with different roles and responsibilities. We have someone from the network team, we have someone from the infosec [information security] team, we have someone from the cloud team, and we have someone from our Unix team. So there is one person from each team who has been assigned roles and responsibilities with explorations of Prisma. The team monitors the system on a day-to-day basis and checks for threats and then, according to what they find, then they decide on any necessary course of action.

Our company did the deployment ourselves with an internal team. We did not use an integrator or consultant.

We did not use any specific or dedicated cloud security product before evaluating the options we chose to review. Currently, we do not have any specific product that we purchased specifically for cloud security. Recently we came across Palo Alto Prisma Cloud Security and Check Point Cloud Guard Dome9 products and we chose to evaluate both and engage in POCs.

We wanted to find some solution where we could see all our cloud accounts and manage them in one single pane of glass. When we used the native solutions that were in place through our cloud providers, we had to manage several different clouds by going to each individually. These dedicated products have everything for cloud security management in one place and we can monitor all our cloud activity from there. There is also the benefit that the functionality of dedicated products is more robust.

Currently, we have stopped using RedLock. We are focusing on exploring Dome9 by Check Point. We have found it very easy to use and the interface is quite user-friendly.

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give to someone seriously considering these cloud solution products is to be careful with procedures you use while testing them. During the setup phase, there were not many challenges. But while integrating the cloud accounts, I would recommend the users initially provide only read-only access not read-write access, just as a precaution. The users should also be cautious not to expose cloud data to vendors like Dome9 or Palo Alto or whomever the vendor will be.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate the Palo Alto product overall as a seven-out-of-ten. Dome9 I would currently rate eight-out-of-ten. Palo Alto's rating could improve with enhancements to ease-of-use.

Hybrid Cloud
DevOps Solutions Lead at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
MSP
Good runtime mechanism, and very good network mapping
  • "The runtime mechanism on the solution is very useful. It's got very good network mapping between containers. If you have more than one container, you can create a content data link between them."
  • "The innovation side of the solution could be more efficient and more detailed."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to create a cluster or scenario, for runtime management on containers.

How has it helped my organization?

We have three containers in our organization. Two were legacy containers and we added a third. The solution helped with our DevOps pipeline and allowed us to inspect and analyze the product.

What is most valuable?

The runtime mechanism on the solution is very useful. It's got very good network mapping between containers. If you have more than one container, you can create a content data link between them.

What needs improvement?

I'm not sure about areas for improvement on the solution, however, I do think the compliance and dashboarding could be better.

The innovation side of the solution could be more efficient and more detailed.

I've been using the solution for two months.

The initial setup was reasonably complex. The container security makes it a complex implementation. If I were to rate the complexity out of ten I'd give it a seven.

What other advice do I have?

We use the cloud deployment model.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

CTO at Aymira Healthcare Technologies, LLC
Ensures compliance and keeps us free of bad actors
  • "The most valuable feature is that the rule set is managed and that it can be run on a regularly scheduled basis."
  • "The pricing for the solution needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for this solution was to run the rule set for the CIS 20 framework and HIPAA compliance.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution will ensure that we've got a more secure environment, mitigating any sort of bad actors coming in and either destroying or disrupting the environment.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The pricing for the solution needs improvement.

The stability of this solution is very good. Very favorable.

We have four people involved with this solution. They are administrators and DevOps resources.

The solution is currently used across our entire environment. I bought licenses for one hundred hosts and I only have twenty-eight. So, there will be no incremental cost for me until I exceed one hundred hosts, which is a long way away.

Technical support is very good. They have been very responsive to various requests in the past.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

The initial setup was very straightforward. RedLock was very helpful in setting up the environment. The deployment took approximately two hours.

Two people are required for deployment and maintenance.

We worked with a reseller. They are Rocus Networks out of Charlotte, North Carolina. We had a very good experience with them.

Our licensing fees are $18,000 USD per year. There are no costs in addition to the standard licensing fees.

We evaluated the Dome9 solution in addition to this one. RedLock was selected based on Rocus' recommendation.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product for which I had a very specific need, and my security partner recommended it. This product is one of the leaders. I would, however, suggest that you do a POC before implementing this solution.

It has very good support in all of the cloud environments. I think that they offer a lot of functionality in supporting that space. I don't think that this product is perfect, but it fits my needs perfectly.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Has provided us with insight into the dynamic topology of our containers

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is for container security and monitoring.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us understand the dynamic topology of our containers and manage security through the application of policies that our pipelines apply straight from Git.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the automated forensics.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the inclusion of automated counter-attack, although this is probably illegal.

More than one year.
Cloud Architect, Oracle ACE, Oracle DBA at Pythian
MSP
Helps secure our client's Linux workloads on any infrastructure, with end-to-end encryption
  • "The dynamic workload identity creation, attestation, and assignment is the best feature. In addition, the application dependency map across heterogeneous environments for compliance is a striking feature."
  • "More documentation with real-world use cases would be helpful."

What is our primary use case?

Our client needed a solution which would be a true implementation of the concept "Trust, but verify," and Aporeto fulfills that notion as it decouples security from network and infrastructure. It services microservices in a nifty and seamless way.

How has it helped my organization?

Aporeto has accelerated our client's expansion to the cloud. With Aporeto, they have secured their Linux workloads on any infrastructure with end-to-end encryption and have a path for modernizing with a security layer that is future-proofed.

What is most valuable?

It integrates quite well with the AWS products as it uniquely fingerprints each workload. Aporeto is designed to combine metadata from the orchestration layer, the container, the operating system, and the AWS instance identity document. By combining these information sources, along with dynamic attributes such as image scanner inputs, Aporeto is designed to create a strong cryptographic identity for each workload. It authenticates and authorizes all network communications within a virtual private cloud (VPC), across VPCs independent of their region or availability zone, and across cloud environments.

What needs improvement?

More documentation with real-world use cases would be helpful. Another useful feature would be greater transparency and visibility into the security checks being implemented.

In AWS, it scales with the cloud and we have found no issues at all with the stability.

Aporeto is now available in AWS where it efficiently deploys, manages, and secures applications at scale on various platforms including Kubernetes, Docker, Linux, and Mesos, among others.

The purchasing process was easy and quick. It is a very economical solution.

We chose to procure this solution via AWS Marketplace because that's where we get all other solutions and to make sure it's supported by AWS.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it as a nine out of ten, due to its cloud-facing features which fit in nicely with the whole cloud ecosystem.

Download our free Prisma Cloud by Palo Alto Networks Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022