IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Pentaho Business Analytics OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Pentaho Business Analytics is #1 ranked solution in top Cloud Operations Analytics tools, #10 ranked solution in top Reporting Tools, and #15 ranked solution in top Business Intelligence Tools. PeerSpot users give Pentaho Business Analytics an average rating of 8 out of 10. Pentaho Business Analytics is most commonly compared to Knowage: Pentaho Business Analytics vs Knowage. Pentaho Business Analytics is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 61% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 25% of all views.

Download the Business Intelligence (BI) Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Pentaho Business Analytics?

Pentaho is an open source business intelligence company that provides a wide range of tools to help their customers better manage their businesses. These tools include data integration software, mining tools, dashboard applications, online analytical processing options, and more.

Pentaho has two product categories: There is the standard enterprise version. This is the product that comes directly from Pentaho itself with all of the benefits, features, and programs that come along with a paid application such us analysis services, dashboard design, and interactive reporting.

The alternative is an open source version, which the public is permitted to add to and tweak the product. This solution has its advantages, aside from the fact that it is free, in that there are many more people working on the project to improve its quality and breadth of functionality.

Pentaho Business Analytics was previously known as Pentaho, Kettle, Hitachi Pentaho Business Analytics.

Pentaho Business Analytics Customers

Cargo 2000 Lufthansa, Marketo, ModCloth, Cardiac Science, Telefonica, ExactTarget, Active Broadband Networks, and Brussels Airport.

Pentaho Business Analytics Video

Pentaho Business Analytics Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Pentaho Business Analytics pricing:
"We were lucky enough to find a Pentaho OEM partner who offered a data warehouse model and the ETL software for about 60K SGD per year."

Pentaho Business Analytics Reviews

Azhagarasan Annadorai - PeerSpot reviewer
Founder at Kaizentric Technologies
Great automation, easy migration, and a rather simple setup
  • "We were able to install it without any assistance from tech support."
  • "We did not achieve the ROI. The work delivered to users had lesser value than the subscription cost."

What is our primary use case?

The use case is for a General Insurance company headquartered in Japan. Data from legacy and active systems are integrated, and a standardized and clean copy of data is delivered for tracking KPIs, Loss Ratios, Claim Process Quality Review, and Customer 360 Portal using Pentaho, Tableau, R, and Qlikview. Pentaho was used to build ETL pipelines for data warehouses (SSOT - Single source of Truth) and to prepare/distribute data for Tableau and Excel users. Pentaho also had the ability to create Tableau data extracts for the purpose of developing report prototypes.

How has it helped my organization?

It automated several data preparation tasks, enabled cleaner/standardized data for Tableau reports, and was used for integrating data from the current operating system with 3 other legacy system data. Pentaho was used to migrate data from legacy systems such as Mumps, AS400, AeGIS, to MS SQL Data Warehouse. ETL jobs helped to move data from Premia (Oracle) systems and OGG Replicas (Oracle Golden Gate) to MS SQL. We used Pentaho to perform data quality analysis and for the development of data marts/DWH solutions and dashboards adhering to time requirements.

What is most valuable?

The fuzzy logic match component came in handy to identify AML suspects (anti-money laundering). The SHA key generation component helped in generating a unique identifier for our customers, without revealing personal data; especially when we send data to the AWS cloud. Regularly, we had to send the new policy data files to medical centers over email. Using Pentaho, we were able to compress the files in zip format with a password and email them to unlimited partners.  We could confidently use Pentaho for sharing data with internal and external customers in mediums such as FTP servers, LAN folders (Local Area Network), email, etc.

What needs improvement?

To implement a logic we may need to use several components. In other tools such as Informatica, equivalent logic can be implemented with lesser components. To set the Java memory size, the configuration has to be changed outside the tool; it will be easier if everything can be handled within the tool. There are no easy guides to implementing metadata injection. Templates and sample jobs could be provided for customers who need to leverage metadata for standard processing across multiple databases and tables.
Business Intelligence (BI) Tools
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Hitachi, Knowage, Tableau and others in Business Intelligence (BI) Tools. Updated: June 2022.
609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've used the solution for five years.

The solution is stable enough.

We ran into insufficient memory issues due to the limits specified in Java config files. When processing larger data files, the UI may hang. But this issue may not appear when the programs run on the server.

As we opted for an OEM solution. We had to go through the vendor. It was not a great experience with most of the tickets.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

Stored procedures were used to generate data files. UI-based ETL pipelines are easier to maintain.

The initial setup was simple to medium. We were able to install it without any assistance from tech support.

We handled the implementation in-house. Our staff was given official Pentaho training, which helped in implementing the data pipelines.

We considered Informatica, Talend, and Lavastorm Analytics. We dropped Informatica as it was an expensive alternative. The staff was not comfortable when reading Java code generated by Talend. Pentaho is more popular than Lavastorm. For these reasons (and a few others), we chose Pentaho.

What other advice do I have?

Pentaho seems to be popular in Europe and Canada. Talend is popular in APAC region. Informatica is popular in the USA. You may want to consider the availability of technical staff and support in your region before choosing ETL software.

Sayan König - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Manager, Financial Services at KPMG
Flexible, easy to understand, and simple to set up
  • "The initial setup is pretty straightforward."
  • "The repository should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

It's a data warehouse for finance and central bank reporting purposes, and an ETL tool in this environment.

What is most valuable?

It's easily understandable. The product is quick and flexible, with very good steps to make data transformation possible.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The repository should be improved. There should be the possibility to have versioning, to make it combinable with some Git repositories or something like that, to check out the processes and make sure it has a traceable history.

The solution could really be improved. There are too many bugs in our version.

The stability could be improved. In this version, we have several bugs and it's not that stable. I don't know whether the eighth and the ninth versions are better, however, there is room improvement in terms of stability.

We have three people who use the solution for the most part.

I'm not sure about the level of scalability. We had just a limited amount of data to pass through. If we have the 100 times amount of data, how this would scale with several servers or something like that, I have no clue. I don't know. I've never tried.

We hadn't had any contact with technical support in the past. I cannot judge their level of helpfulness.

We previously used Informatica PowerCenter. We found it a good switch as it's easier and more flexible than Informatica.

The initial setup was fine. It was pretty straightforward and not overly complex. That said, our environment was not that complex, which made it manageable.

We had three people involved in the implementation. It took a couple of months to have everyone on a level that they could work with it.

We handled everything in-house. We didn't need any exterior help from an integrator or anything like that.

We've definitely seen an ROI. It's been worth it for us.

It is an open-source option, so there isn't much overhead. There are just some fees that are supported. It might have been only 10,000 or 20,000 euros as an annual fee, however, I'm not sure.

We did look around a bit, however, we ended up choosing this product as it's open-source.

What other advice do I have?

It's Hitachi, Hitachi Data Integration, formerly known as Pentaho.

I'm a partner with Pentaho/Hitachi and I'm a consultant.

New users should define some style guides to have a common implementation and documentation in the processes to handle and maintain it in the future. They should maybe use some modular approaches so that everything goes in the same direction. You should create reusable assets to make it happen.

I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Business Intelligence (BI) Tools
June 2022
609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Muhammed Shafad - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Software Engineer at 6D Global Technologies, Inc.
A stable solution, but it is not customizable or interactive

What is our primary use case?

Our company provides telecom solutions. We have a BA team of approximately 40 employees.

We use Pentaho to analyze our customers' subscriber analytics. This includes subscriber account, prediction, and analysis by the server.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Pentaho is the Tableau report.

What needs improvement?

Pentaho Business Analytics is not a good tool for visualization. We have many issues surfacing.

Another concern is that Pentaho is not customizable or interactive.

I have been using Pentaho Business Analytics for five years.

Pentaho is a stable solution.

This solution is scalable.

We used Tableau in the past and find that Tableau gives more features compared to Pentaho. Tableau also has ML features. We chose to use Pentaho because our customers were using it.

What other advice do I have?

I do not recommend Pentaho, I rate this solution a five out of ten.

Download our free Business Intelligence (BI) Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about Hitachi, Knowage, Tableau, and more!
Updated: June 2022