Pandora FMS OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Pandora FMS is the #9 ranked solution in top Server Monitoring tools, #13 ranked solution in top Cloud Monitoring Software, #18 ranked solution in best Network Monitoring Tools, and #18 ranked solution in Infrastructure Monitoring tools. PeerSpot users give Pandora FMS an average rating of 9.0 out of 10. Pandora FMS is most commonly compared to Zabbix: Pandora FMS vs Zabbix. Pandora FMS is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 52% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 22% of all views.
Pandora FMS Buyer's Guide

Download the Pandora FMS Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Pandora FMS?

Pandora FMS is a monitoring as a service (MaaS) solution that is ideal for companies with at least 100 or more devices. Instead of multiple, difficult-to-integrate monitoring systems, Pandora FMS is an all-in-one solution that is easy to use. The software is able to untangle complicated technology infrastructures to easily identify the root cause of issues in order to find the most efficient solution. It does so by analyzing everything in your system, from databases and applications to services and desktops, as well as communications.

Pandora FMS Features

Pandora FMS has many valuable key features. Some of the most useful ones include:

• Application Monitoring (APM)
  • IoT monitoring
  • Server monitoring
  • User experience monitoring
  • Virtualization & cloud

Pandora FMS Benefits

There are many benefits to implementing Pandora FMS. Some of the biggest advantages the solution offers include:

• Comprehensive overview: Pandora FMS provides a comprehensive overview of your system to make troubleshooting easy. It also provides all the tools to monitor and analyze an extensive range of data, from traffic to connectivity.
  • Easy forecasting: With Pandora FMS, you can use your network diagram for forecasting solutions, which gives you the necessary info you need to perform maintenance.
  • Proactive solutions: Issues are proactively addressed. Pandora FMS provides alerts 24/7 so you can deal with problems before they grow even bigger. This also helps your organization eliminate any down time.
  • Solve future problems: Another benefit of implementing Pandora FMS is that it enables you to optimize your services to ensure that future issues are minimized. In addition, they offer around-the-clock monitoring and automated solutions. As a result, the solution enables you to operate your organization with maximum efficiency all the time, saving you money and time.
  • Personalized service maps: Pandora FMS allows you to create detailed, personalized service maps that can help you identify any shortcomings in your system and address them as soon as possible.
  • SLA and availability reports: With Pandora FMS, you receive critical alerts when SLA levels aren’t met, which also helps you understand when your applications and systems are not meeting your business goals.

Reviews from Real Users

Below are some reviews and helpful feedback written by PeerSpot users currently using the Pandora FMS solution.

PeerSpot user Marc C., Systems Analyst at a university, says, "It is easy to create your own custom modules if you just know a little bit of scripting. If you have unique requirements, you can just make your own modules. You can even grab checks from other vendors. There are open-source checks for various things such as SMTP, etc. It is really flexible. It is reliable. It does the job, and it alerts. It is also surprisingly feature-rich. It is very mature for a not-so-known product."

Another reviewer, Alexandre J., comments, “What I value most about Pandora FMS is the simplicity of working with it. The speed of locating problems and to be able to solve them quickly, so that it affects our client's network infrastructure as little as possible, is very valuable.

Thanks to Pandora FMS we have everything unified in the same point and it is highly efficient.”

Pandora FMS Customers

Rakuten, Prosegur, Repsol, Teléfonica, Allianz, Ottawa Hospital, Hughes

Pandora FMS Video

Pandora FMS Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Pandora FMS pricing:
  • "They are very competitive on the pricing side. That's one reason why my manager keeps using it."
  • "You have to pay for the number of agents and models that you are monitoring. I would rate the cost at three with one being the most expensive and five being the cheapest."
  • Pandora FMS Reviews

Systems Analyst at a university with 501-1,000 employees
    Super stable, very flexible, feature-rich, competitive price, and does the job
    • "It is easy to create your own custom modules if you just know a little bit of scripting. If you have unique requirements, you can just make your own modules. You can even grab checks from other vendors. There are open-source checks for various things such as SMTP, etc. There is a long list of different ones from Nagios. You can just use them, and within seconds, you get yourself a check that is monitoring whatever you need. It is really flexible. I guess that's why they call it Pandora Flexible Monitoring System (FMS). It is reliable. It does the job, and it alerts. It is also surprisingly feature-rich. Our network guy just recently asked about a particular protocol to monitor the bandwidth on the network, which is not a common protocol. When I looked it up, and I found that they cover it. It is very mature for a not-so-known product."
    • "Their support is good, but it is just online communication. It would be great to be able to just call someone and talk to them instead of always writing. It works well for me because I am a decent communicator in email, but some people might find it difficult to describe in a written fashion and communicate with them that way. There is a learning curve to the interface, but once you get used to it, it is actually very powerful. They have a lot of options, but people struggle with the interface. They've improved it though, and it is getting better. They need to keep improving the learning curve to help buy-in. I'm the guy that manages it, so I'm comfortable with it. They can refine the upgrade agents to be easier. They can also do more refinement in end-user usability because not everyone is strong technically, and people who aren't strong technically might be averse to the product, even though it has come a long way. It has a complete GUI and everything."

What is our primary use case?

We use its latest version to monitor all our Windows and Linux servers.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has been really good for us. We took a chance with this open-source product with an enterprise offering. It has been very effective for what we monitor; servers, networking switches, fiber channel switches, web apps, etc...

What is most valuable?

It is easy to create your own custom modules if you just know a bit of scripting. If you have unique requirements, you can just make your own modules.

You can also use checks from other vendors. There are open-source checks for hundreds of metrics. There is a long list of different ones from Nagios. You can just use them, and within seconds, you get yourself a check that is monitoring whatever you need. It is really flexible. I guess that's why they call it Pandora Flexible Monitoring System (FMS).

It is reliable. It does the job, and it alerts. It is also surprisingly feature-rich. Our network guy just recently asked about a particular protocol to monitor the bandwidth on the network, which is not a common protocol. When I looked it up, and I found that they cover it. It seems mature for a not-so-known product.

What needs improvement?

Their support is good, but it is just online communication. It would be great to be able to just call someone and talk to them instead of always writing. It works well for if you're a decent communicator in email, but some people might find it difficult to describe in a written fashion and communicate with them that way.

There is a learning curve to the interface, but once you get used to it, it works well. They've made changes so it is getting better. They can refine the upgrade of agents to be easier. They can also do more refinement in end-user usability because not everyone is strong technically, and people who aren't strong technically might be averse to the product, even though it has come a long way.

Pandora FMS
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Pandora FMS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    655,994 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using this solution for five to ten years.

Stability is where they shine. It has been super stable. We have high-end monitoring for our data centers. We monitor all kinds of metrics in our two data centers. We monitor maybe over 2,500 checks, and the product that has been successful and always alerting us is Pandora. Even though we have other products that are supposed to give us proper alerting for temperature sensors in the data center, it is Pandora that sends the alerts.

It is fine for us so far. It probably scales well. We have almost 350 agents with about 2600 checks running on one server, and it is still running fine. I don't know when we'll reach a point where we need to expand.

They definitely have the ability to have multiple servers and redundancy. We're looking at setting up a second one so that one is running in our second data center.

It is mostly used by our IT back-office team. We are the ones most interested in its alerts. For some check we have our Maintenance & Facilities staff alerted like temperature sensors in the data centers. You can just find the OID for temperature sensors on your network switches to get those metric in addition to pointing directly to the CRAC units for even more data (humidity, ...)

Their support is good. It is just online communication. I don't know if I've ever had a remote session with them. They're Spanish, so there might be a language barrier, but their English is still very strong. I have opened cases with them, and they're very good.

I would rate them a ten out of ten for their willingness to help and for their knowledge. The gap really is the lack of phone contact. For that, I would rate them an eight out of ten.

We tried a few different products at the time. We had a quick look at Nagios, which was config-based as opposed to a database. Pandora FMS seemed to offer the easiest way to monitor.

The other products were on a smaller scale. We had some products that just dropped an agent and sent you an email straight from that server but nothing central.

It used to be complex, but I just upgraded it, and it is pretty good. I used their CentOS ISO for deployment and built the server directly with what they provide. I find it much easier. You should be comfortable with Linux.

What other advice do I have?

You should definitely look at it. It is good so far, and it does the job for a mid-size organization like ours.

I would rate Pandora FMS a nine out of ten.

Single-point continuous supervision makes it efficient for detecting and solving problems
    • "What I value most about Pandora FMS is the simplicity of working with it."
    • "The price for Pandora FMS is expensive."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is the daily monitoring of all the network traffic for my bank client. With it, I supervise and monitor more than one hundred nodes and servers of all kinds, such as print servers, file servers, etc. From Pandora, I can have everything controlled and under continuous supervision. I supervise maintenance and optimization of the network infrastructure from Pandora.
    When we want to monitor a new server or a new machine installed in the pandora network, it detects it automatically and we already have it monitored.

It is very easy and practical to work with this tool and is very useful to have at all times controlled what happens on the network.

You can also monitor services published on the network.

It is very practical to detect possible points of failure in the network.

In short it is a great tool for any network administrator whatever the size of the infrastructure of your network, it will help you to have everything under control.

Totally recommended and even recommended.

How has it helped my organization?

Thanks to Pandora FMS, we have greatly improved our client's network supervision.

It helps us to detect problems very quickly. We can see where the problem is and it gives us the tools to solve it quickly. We have everything centralized in the same application and at a glance, we can detect problems and solve them.

What is most valuable?

What I value most about Pandora FMS is the simplicity of working with it.

The speed of locating problems and to be able to solve them quickly, so that it affects our client's network infrastructure as little as possible, is very valuable.

This software is used to monitor several elements in the network, for example, it can detect if a network interface has been down, if it has received a defacement attack in unaweb, it alerts if there has been a memory loss in any application server; among its characteristics it allows to interact with other applications or platforms in the web and it can also send SMS if a system fails or alert about changes of an application in the web.Pandora FMS can collect information from any operating system, using specific agents for each platform, which collect data and send them to the server. Specific agents are used for GNU/Linux, AIX, Solaris, and Windows 2000, XP, 7, 2003 and 2008. Among its characteristics you can monitor services over TCP/IP protocol, without installing agents, you can also monitor network systems such as load balancers, routers, switches, operating systems, applications or printers. Pandora FMS also supports WMI to communicate directly with Windows systems remotely and SNMP to collect data orecibir traps.it can supervise the resources of devices such as processor load, disk use and RAM memory, analyzes the processes that are running in the system, in general can receive information from anything that can be collected automatically.

What needs improvement?

The free version capable of monitoring more than 10,000 nodes and covers (without limitations) a monitoring network, servers (based on agents or remotely) and applications. With complete functionalities of reports, alerts, integrations with third parties via API, etc.
    It creates its own architecture from 0, which allows it to scale perfectly in large environments. It has been possible to monitor an environment with more than 100,000 nodes without performance problems (of course, in the Enterprise version).
    We also highlight its integration with mobile devices, not only to access the console but also to monitor them thanks to its geolocation system.

The only bad thing is that in the Community version that is completely free could expand the number of nodes to monitor, otherwise is a great tool

five years.

The stability of this product is very good.

This solution is very scalable.

The support team are very good partners and are always willing to help, whatever the problem.

We used SolarWinds before switching to this solution.

The initial setup was simple and hassle-free.

We implemented this using a team provided by our supplier.

We have seen a return on investment of 300%.

This product is more expensive.

We only evaluated this solution, as well as SolarWinds.

Pandora FMS
    November 2022
    655,994 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Sergio Ortiz Vega - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT systems consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Is interactive and easy to manage, and makes it easier to monitor virtual machines on the cloud
    • "The administration of the console is very easy. I like that Pandora FMS is interactive and easy to manage."
    • "Pandora FMS is relatively new, and the interface with the older version crashes at times. We have several different operating systems, such as Linux and Windows, and Pandora does not run as well in these."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to monitor the client's system, database models, operating system models, and SAP.

How has it helped my organization?

We are consultants and thanks to Pandora can detect a lot of disasters that other companies can't. We can offer high availability of the system to the client.

What is most valuable?

The company that supports Pandora is called Artica, and it is a Spanish company. They are working on improving this software, and communicating with them has been easy as well. If we need a specific model of SAP, for example, they will work on a new plugin or a new tool.

What needs improvement?

Pandora FMS is relatively new, and the interface with the older version crashes at times. We have several different operating systems, such as Linux and Windows, and Pandora does not run as well in these.

In the next release, I would like to be able to customize the dashboard. Right now, the list of latest events is limited to 60. I would like to be able to customize this value.

I've been using it for two years.

It is stable, and it doesn't need a lot of maintenance.

Pandora FMS is very scalable. For example, we migrated a lot of virtual machines that were monitored in Nagios or Centreon. The migration to Pandora was so easy.

We currently have 58 users.

The technical support is excellent. They are experts and are kind. I would give them an eight out of ten.

Positive

We used Centreon before Pandora FMS. We chose Pandora FMS because it has more opportunities with SAP monitoring, and that was our main objective.

It's not too difficult to implement but has a lot of documentation. You don't have to have advanced knowledge to implement it. This is an advantage over other solutions such as Nagios.

The deployment take a year or less. For a medium or multinational company, two or three persons are enough to maintain the solution.

We implemented it ourselves.

You have to pay for the number of agents and models that you are monitoring. I would rate the cost at three with one being the most expensive and five being the cheapest.

We thought about Zabbix but decided to move with Pandora.

What other advice do I have?

I would encourage you to use Pandora FMS because you can monitor systems on the cloud. You can use Pandora with Azure, Amazon Web Service, and Google Cloud Platform. It is easier to implement and monitor virtual machines and other type of systems in this cloud infrastructure.

I am very happy with Pandora FMS and would give it a rating of eight on a scale from one to ten.

Independent Consultant at Maack Consulting
    The open architecture is easy to extend and enhance
    • "Pandora's architecture is interesting. It's open so you can easily extend and enhance it. It's simpler to customize Pandora compared to other solutions. It's also scalable enough to support large environments."
    • "Pandora could deliver better analytics out of the box. You can work around these limitations with the help of other tools like Grafana. The shortcomings are mostly on the graphical side. The built-in report generators are a bit limited in some areas."

What is our primary use case?

I use Pandora FMS to monitor IT infrastructure, applications, and some business processes. Our clients range in size. For example, one of the bigger environments I'm supporting has about 3,000 devices, including router servers, applications, etc. The smaller client has roughly a hundred.

What is most valuable?

Pandora's architecture is interesting. It's open so you can easily extend and enhance it. It's simpler to customize Pandora compared to other solutions. It's also scalable enough to support large environments.

What needs improvement?

Pandora could deliver better analytics out of the box. You can work around these limitations with the help of other tools like Grafana. The shortcomings are mostly on the graphical side. The built-in report generators are a bit limited in some areas.

They could improve their management console's ability to monitor large environments could be improved. For example, SNMP management is only partially integrated into the management console.

I have been using Pandora FMS for the last three years.

Pandora is stable.

Pandora is scalable.

Pandora FMS support is good. They're capable and address things quickly.

I did some stuff with Tivoli from IBM. Pandora has advantages in terms of price and extendability. Tivoli is a bit better at correlation handling. The correlation engine was stronger in the IBM product.

The difficulty of the setup depends on the environment, but it's pretty straightforward in a small environment. The time required for deployment also depends on the environment. It takes about half a day for a smaller environment with a hundred similar servers. If you are talking about 1,000-plus servers distributed over various zones, the setup time increases. We have three or four admins to deploy and maintain the solution plus our 24/7 operations.

Pandora is reasonably priced, and the cost depends on the environment.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Pandora FMS nine out of 10. My advice to future Pandora users is to understand what you want to monitor and know your technologies.

Guillermo Jose Ferro P - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT support manager at Banco Mercantil
    An easy to navigate solution, that provides an excellent monitoring system and strong technical support team

What is our primary use case?

We use this product's search and review functionality to stabilize the infrastructure software.

What is most valuable?

The monitoring system within this solution is very good. It is easy to use and navigate, and makes issue alarms easily viewable.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see improvement in the mainframe integration that this solution is capable of.

We would also like more process documentation to be added to the cloud.

We have used this solution for five years.

We have found this solution to be very stable during our time using it.

The support is excellent for this product; their response time is very fast, and they are very knowledgeable.

Positive

The solution was very easy to setup and implement. The documentation provided on the setup process is very good.

We implemented this solution using an integrator.

What other advice do I have?

We would recommend organizations to use an integrator for the implementation of this solution. It made the process very quick and easy.

I would rate this solution a 10 out of 10.

Saqib Akbar - PeerSpot reviewer
    NOC Analyst at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    A stable solution with good network monitoring features

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for network monitoring.

What is most valuable?

The network monitoring and configuration within this solution is very good.

The product also has good customization options.

What needs improvement?

We would like the real-time monitoring of an interface to be improved within this solution.

We would also like some improvements to be made to the WinRM configuration file that this solution uses.

We have been working with this solution for two years.

The stability of this solution is good. However, we have found that we occasionally get false alerts for our on-premises servers.

The support for this solution has been good whenever tickets are raised.

Positive

We chose to move to this solution due to how cost effective it is, and how easy it is to use.

The initial setup of this product is quite straightforward, if you have experience with Linux commands.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

IT Project Manager at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
    Has good dashboards and graphics

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is configuration of metrics. We are customers of Pandora. I'm the IT project manager and ERP system specialist.

What is most valuable?

The solution has good dashboards and graphics. It helps with supporting operations in telecommunications.

What needs improvement?

The product lacks APIs for integration with other systems and we have issues with monitoring.

The solution is scalable, we have around 70 users in our company.

Customer support could be improved.

Neutral

The initial setup is relatively easy. The initial setup takes around one hour.

Pricing is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution nine out of 10.

Download our free Pandora FMS Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022