Oracle Service Bus OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Service Bus is the #6 ranked solution in top ESB (Enterprise Service Bus) tools. PeerSpot users give Oracle Service Bus an average rating of 7.6 out of 10. Oracle Service Bus is most commonly compared to Mule ESB: Oracle Service Bus vs Mule ESB. Oracle Service Bus is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 68% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.
Oracle Service Bus Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Service Bus Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Oracle Service Bus?

Oracle Service Bus transforms complex and brittle architectures into agile integration networks by connecting, virtualizing, and managing interactions between services and applications. Oracle Service Bus delivers low-cost, standards-based integration for mission critical SOA environments where extreme performance, scalability and reliability are critical requirements.

Oracle Service Bus enables companies to use the values of their enterprise applications portfolio. From on-premise, to the cloud to mobile devices, Service Bus allows companies to leverage their existing investments in new ways by extending the performance and scalability leadership of Oracle SOA and API Management.

Oracle Service Bus Customers

MakeMyTrip Ltd., Griffith University, Colab Consulting Pty. Ltd., Pacfico Seguros Generales, IGEPA IT-SERVICE GmbH, Guangzhou Municipal Human Resources and Social Security Bureau, Pacfico Seguros Generales, Bank Audi S.A.L., Rydges Sydney Airport, Intelligent Pathways, Nacional Monte de Piedad IAP

Oracle Service Bus Video

Oracle Service Bus Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Oracle Service Bus pricing:
  • "This is a very expensive product and the price varies depending on factors such as the number of processors and the number of users. Our licensing fees are approximately $300,000."
  • "We have an unlimited yearly license."
  • "I'm not aware of how much Oracle Service Bus costs."
  • Oracle Service Bus Reviews

PaulPerez - PeerSpot reviewer
    Integration Architect at Pymma consulting
    Oracle Serice Bus is a beautiful platform for integration based on Orchestraion with a powerful process engine and many connectors and additional tools
    • "The communication between applications is already defined, which means that you don't have to redefine your service infrastructure at the lower level."
    • "The inconvenient part about working with this product is that it's very heavy, requiring a lot of people and a lot of resources."

What is our primary use case?

We use Oracle Service Bus in the business sector (B2B and B2C). The developers use Windows machines for development and CentOS is the current OS for test, preprod and production environments.
    Our primary use case was to implement business processes that can use legacy services (Java, .Net, Package Software). The other main objective was to monitor and analyse our business processes.

How has it helped my organization?

This tool allows us to define our services precisely. Although the XML language and the duo of XSD and WSDL may seem cluttered and inflexible at first glance, it provides us with rigour in our development processes and in defining our services. By using a strict service contract, we were able to reduce the misunderstandings between the development teams and the maintenance costs of our project.

What is most valuable?

Oracle Service Bus is a comprehensive product with many useful features for defining business processes, a powerful mapper, an implementation with many connectors that make life easier.

We were able to easily implement business processes related to sales scenarios.

As I explained earlier, Oracle Service Bus focuses on orchestrating services, but also allows us to compose services. This allows us to improve the granularity of the orchestration.

We have been able to take advantage of the monitoring

The documentation is well done.

What needs improvement?

The product is heavy and requires many resources (CPU, hard disc, memory). The installation is lengthy and complex and looks like an installation from the 90s. The installation of a database (Oracle if possible) and Weblogic is also required.

Today Oracle offers a Docker image that could reduce the installation effort.

In development, we often do not have the equivalent of the machine we can use in production. Because of the resource requirements, it was difficult to test clustering and high availability on development.

Oracle Service Bus
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Oracle Service Bus. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    655,113 professionals have used our research since 2012.

II have been using Oracle Service Bus for about three years as an integration platform for various integration projects. started using Oracle Service Bus for approximately three years for different projects.

With respect to stability, the product is good.

Scalability suffers because this is a very large product. Everything is recorded, and everything is very strict at the technical level. For example, it keeps track of what name is linked to each transaction.

If you have a lot of money, then this is a scalable product.

Being an Oracle product, everything is recorded in a database. That means that there is a bottleneck in terms of scalability.

We have between 10 and 20 developers working on this product. It is now in production but I can't easily estimate the total number of users.

We spent some time testing and found some problems with scalability. It can be difficult because when you test, you don't really simulate the behavior of the end-user. For example, people might generally use it in the morning but then one afternoon, everybody is using it and you don't know why. Ultimately, we had good test results but we were annoyed with the scalability.

We had some issues with support. It was a situation where we were under pressure and it took the technical support too long to reply and too long to solve our problem.

I am familiar with a few similar products such as TIBCO, webMethods, and OpenESB.

OpenESB is a similar product that is based on different technology. To scale OpenESB, you need to have a very large machine.

Deploying Oracle Service Bus is a bit rigid if you compare it with similar tools, like OpenESB. For example, when you deploy an application on Oracle, you can deploy a set of services. The important part is that the service is defined when you deploy it. This can be a problem because in some cases, you just want to expose the interface of the service so that it can be used by other services.

Assume that you have services A and B; with some products, you can develop service A without having service B on your system. You simply define a dummy B on your system and after that, you can deploy. This capability means that you have can many teams working concurrently and you can manage many different types of routines because you don't have to access the service itself. You only have to access the interface. However, Oracle Service Bus does not have this capability.

With respect to implementation, this is a very heavy product. It isn't something that is implemented in isolation. Rather, you have to have applications such as a database and an application server, in addition to the Oracle Service Bus itself.

The basic installation will take a day to complete. After that, you need the resources to run that type of software.

The deployment itself is very easy because you just have to install a service on the application server.

Our in-house team was responsible for deployment but I was not there for all of it.

This is a very expensive product and the price varies depending on factors such as the number of processors and the number of users. Our licensing fees are approximately $300,000.

Depending on what other products you license from Oracle, you may have use of Oracle Service Bus. For example, if you use Oracle CRM then you have the right to use the Service Bus as well.

In a case like this, you have a good product, and you can save money on the license that can be put toward development, machines, and resources such as memory.

We target large companies that already have a regular license but if you have an SME or an average company with 100 people or less, then this product is not worth it because the cost is so high. Furthermore, you will be locked in with Oracle.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a very complete product and it works well for us.

Mustaque Ali - PeerSpot reviewer
    Oracle Fusion Middleware Technical Lead at Saint-Gobain ADFORS CZ s.r.o.
    A pretty good solution with helpful plugins and reasonable pricing
    • "Overall it is a pretty good solution."
    • "The interface console is very slow. Even in production, we need to increase the RAM or CPU. And even after that, the performance is still not good in production."

What is most valuable?

Overall it is a pretty good solution.

The most valuable aspects of the solution are mainly the SOA, and the JMS patch. There are some out-of-box items that are good, and, for the most part, they do provide good plugins. We have done the integration with the ESB.

I'm very comfortable with Oracle. I have a good understanding of how the solution works.

What needs improvement?

Mainly our integrations are under JMS. We are looking at some products which have good features and performance related to the JMS. Even if tomorrow if you're planning to replace JMS with Kafka or some other product, then it will be feasible to do it very quickly. However, in Oracle, we have seen a lot of difficulties when we go to integrate Kafka with the replacement of JMS.

The personal settings are not up-to-date, in terms of orchestration. In Italy, we use SOA, however, we have faced a lot of difficulties when we have orchestration projects.

Sometimes, we have seen data loss from the EM. We can't even recover the data from the back end table. Even if we ask the Oracle support team to get a patch they're taking one or two months for the production issue to resolve. These issues are killing the business and productivity. For this reason, management decided to replace Oracle with some other products that are also based on the current application - such as SAP and TIBCO. We're updating our system anyway, so it is a good time to get rid of Oracle.

With Oracle right now, we have to hire more people in the support team to look into all the issues we're facing. That is killing our delivery times and everything.

If I want to do certain integrations or use certain plugins, it occasionally can be really difficult to do the configuration in Oracle Service Bus.

I've been working with the solution for about 12 years at this point. It has been over a decade.

Technical support hasn't been too good as of late.

They say that they are good in terms of dealing with an existing issue. If you highlight it, they can quickly respond with the patch or they can respond with the previous tickets. However, with the new tickets, they will acknowledge your tickets, yet they take forever to actually resolve them.

I've only ever really worked with Oracle products. I did not previously use a different solution.

The cost is reasonable. The price is fine. However, you need to see results from support. When issues pop up in production, delays in support can lead to revenue loss. For this reason, our company is looking into other options. The solution isn't worth the price if it's costing you money in the long run.

Right now, we're doing some due diligence before buying a product. The concept is the same in all the products, only the components are different, the way of integration also are different but the concept is same with the ESB. That's what we are discussing with the technical team. We might look at TIBCO or other things such as MuleSoft.

What other advice do I have?

We aren't using the latest version of the solution. We're working on an older one right now.

After more than a decade of working with the product, I can say that it is a pretty good solution. That said, before buying, a company needs to take into account their overall infrastructure to understand the volume of data they will need to process, et cetera. Based on those requirements, you'll need to find a product that works for you.

While I like Oracle, there's no denying the support issues.

Overall, I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

Oracle Service Bus
    November 2022
    655,113 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    User at Global Markets Strategic Sales - Data & AI
    User
    Good reporting and visualizations but is very expensive
    • "There are always continuous improvements that are happening."
    • "It would be ideal if they could optimize it a bit."

What is our primary use case?

It becomes the platform for all managed file transfers. If you're looking at a high-speed managed file transfer or solution around that, it becomes a basic layer, or especially in use cases in payment gateways, or API-based types of solutions, probably this becomes a default there.

What is most valuable?

The solution will provide a visual view of your total process, which is where, and why it is stuck somewhere and probably where it is. You gain a real-time understanding of where the process is. The reporting around what is happening and if it is stuck, where it is stuck, and what actions to be taken is useful.

Overall, the solution is quite good and has lots of great features. There are always continuous improvements that are happening.

What needs improvement?

The solution is quite expensive.

It would be ideal if they could optimize it a bit.

I've worked with Oracle for the last seven-and-a-half years.

Any new deployment I've seen has been stable. It's not a problem. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution is scalable. I've seen banking institutions use it and scale it quite well.

If we are putting this up on the cloud, now they've released something similar to a support cost. They have to give us yearly support. You can actually buy the cloud credits probably if somebody wants to be on the cloud. However, normally you will get support, yearly support. What they've done is you buy back that support using Oracle cloud. With the cloud, you don't need support the way you do with the on-prem models. Support contracts are offered yearly with an annual subscription.

When you need support, you raise a ticket. It's very simple. You follow up and send the logs. It's a long process. People may sometimes try to take Oracle Consulting Services which can also help with various types of things.

The initial setup process depends on project to project, however, typically, everything is paid for. Probably if you want to sell something, everything which is currently being sold in Oracle is specific to the cloud. If they want to move their on-prem to cloud, or they have services, free services, lift and shift services, and of course open-source. You name it and within a month maybe, or three months, depending on the type of job but other than that, everything is costed. Basically, everything, whatever resources you have to buy from Oracle is available and can be taken care of.

Any maintenance requirements are related to whatever package the client decides on.

Oracle can deploy engineers to help with the deployment.

This is a very, very expensive solution. It will cost a company a lot.

It only is available on-premises; it is not subscription-based. These are perpetual licenses. Whether you take it to the cloud or not, with Oracle, you have to pay perpetual licensing. Oracle does not have the cloud as a subscription model.

What other advice do I have?

This was a company that was acquired earlier, from DevLogic. Now people are asking for microservices-based architecture which currently is not an option. Especially, they use SOA services. Everything is not microservices-based architecture today. People who have been in banks, telcos, finance companies, even the government, those who have been using it for a long time, are the people probably who are the target audience right now. However, in the future, people are looking at types of services with architecture systems, which currently, SOA is not.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Muhammad Asif Ashraf - PeerSpot reviewer
    Technical Development Lead at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Straightforward to install with good technical support and good stability
    • "We've been pleased with the level of technical support."
    • "The pricing of the product could be better. It's a bit high."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for the ESB. When we want to integrate applications with each other, they want to communicate with each other, we use this. If one application wants to send a message to some other applications. It's used for transformation and integration.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very stable.

The scalability is very good.

The installation is quite straightforward.

We've been pleased with the level of technical support.

What needs improvement?

The pricing of the product could be better. It's a bit high.

We started using the solution around 2014. We've used it for quite a few years now. It's been a while.

The solution is stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The scalability is very good. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so. It's not a problem.

Due to the fact that the solution is technical, there are not that many people on it. We are only a few specialized people that work on this ESB. In development, there are around five to seven people. They are a mix of engineers, managers, and admins.

Technical support has been good. We're satisfied with the level of service on offer.

The initial setup is very straightforward and simple. It's not overly complex or difficult to implement.

In our systems, we install it for our local development. It's easy for us. It takes minutes to install it. The deployment process is quick.

We have five or six technical people that can handle deployment and maintenance tasks.

The pricing could be better.

We pay for the solution on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

The product is a part of the Fusion Middleware. We have the full suite including the SOA and WebLogic.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

If a company wants to go to the Oracle stack, I'd recommend this solution. If a company wants to use it, it should first evaluate their requirements and whether they need to expand or if they have the capacity.

Head of Architecture at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Enables us to do a lot of aggregation and routing, but API response can be a problem if the payload is heavy

What is our primary use case?

We are doing lots of aggregation and routing – the two most important features that we are using it for – and transformation of the services and data.

I am using the latest version, 12.1.4. It's deployed on AWS cloud and on-prem.

What is most valuable?

The routing and aggregation are the most valuable features. It's split and join.

I have been using it for two and a half years.

It's stable.

We are not using it on the container. It's a monolithic type of deployment on AWS, so obviously you won't have the scale of the containerized platform, but it's okay. I think with the 400 services, I haven't seen many issues. We have faced a problem with the heap memory side, but that is stable now.

I have also used TIBCO. It's difficult to manage, but it's a very robust product. You will not see any issues, but management of TIBCO is a challenge. You need expertise. In Oracle, you don't need a huge skillset, but if you talk about the robustness of the product, TIBCO is better. The performance of TIBCO is better compared to Oracle.

Deployment was easy. Sometimes, the API response is a problem if your payload is heavy.

We have a very huge project, almost 400 services. For developing support and services, it will take time.

We used our integration partner for deployment. Deployment wasn't a challenge, but creating the services takes time.

Oracle Service Bus is not a business application. It's a pure technical application, so there is no direct relation with ROI. It will help you to scale your application and orchestrate it, but it won't give you direct ROI because the nature of operating is different.

We have an unlimited yearly license.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 7 out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Hector-Hernandez - PeerSpot reviewer
    Principal Lead at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Quite stable with a very good set of features
    • "The solution is quite stable overall. We haven't witnessed any performance issues so far."
    • "The initial setup is likely complex for many organizations."

What is our primary use case?

We are currently primarily using the solution for an energy company that is looking to remove the endpoint integration that they have. They want to move to an Applications Federation BOT. That's how we are seeing critical severity loss into the solution. Instead of having the point-to-point integration, we want to implement it as an Enterprise Service Bus.

What is most valuable?

The features on offer are very complete. It's a very good product overall.

What needs improvement?

I can't recall coming across any missing features. There isn't anything glaring that is lacking in the product.

The initial setup is likely complex for many organizations.

In terms of the solution itself, they should be more open with the information that they provide about the licensing process. It's incredibly difficult to understand the licensing for Oracle Service Bus and it's a whole long process to get the information from Oracle itself.

This is a very stable solution. Mostly it's focused on attending companies with high availability. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's very reliable.

We have about ten users engaged in the solution currently.

It's my understanding that the solution isn't straightforward. It's actually quite complex.

The setup and onboarding process is hard, and it's made more difficult by a murky licensing process that needs to be clarified.

The licensing process needs to be simplified. It's confusing and tedious. It's very hard to get concrete details out of Oracle in a timely manner. It would be ideal if they could be more exact and specific.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not a customer. I represent a company in charge of integrating solutions for customers, specifically for our customers. We're a partner and implementor.

In general, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. Even with the difficulties around licensing, the solution itself is quite good and reliable.

Radhey Rajput - PeerSpot reviewer
    Sr. IT Analyst at NCR Corporation
    Easy to install and applicable for a lot of use cases and different integrations; its technical support team provides immediate assistance
    • "What I like most about Oracle Service Bus is that you can use it for many integrations. For example, you can use it for on-premises to on-premises integrations, on-premises to cloud integrations, and cloud to on-premises integrations."
    • "What needs improvement in Oracle Service Bus is the connectivity between adapters such as the Salesforce adapter and database adapters. The limited number of adapters compatible with Oracle Service Bus makes you want to switch to a different solution."

What is our primary use case?

We use Oracle Service Bus to send data to ServiceNow because we needed to connect Salesforce to ServiceNow, so that's our use case for the solution.

What is most valuable?

What I like most about Oracle Service Bus is that you can use it for many integrations. For example, you can use it for on-premises to on-premises integrations, on-premises to cloud integrations, and cloud to on-premises integrations.

What needs improvement?

What needs improvement in Oracle Service Bus is the connectivity between adapters such as the Salesforce adapter and database adapters. The limited number of adapters compatible with Oracle Service Bus makes you want to switch to a different solution.

I have ten years of experience with Oracle Service Bus.

Oracle Service Bus has good stability. My company rarely has an issue with it. It's mostly stable.

Oracle Service Bus is a scalable solution.

Sometimes, we contact the Oracle Service Bus technical support team and they immediately assisted us with our issues.

The initial setup for Oracle Service Bus wasn't complex. You can easily install it. There wasn't any challenge with installing the solution.

The implementation strategy my company used was to install Oracle Service Bus via scripts, similar to a DevOps deployment.

We implemented Oracle Service Bus through an in-house team.

A different team handles the licensing for Oracle Service Bus, so I don't know how much it costs.

What other advice do I have?

My company has almost a hundred customers, so it has a lot of users of Oracle Service Bus.

Only four people handle the deployment and maintenance of Oracle Service Bus.

I would recommend Oracle Service Bus to people who want to start using it because it could be used for a lot of cases and for a lot of integrations.

My rating for Oracle Service Bus is nine out of ten.

Vice President Information Technology at Bharat Financial Inclusion Ltd
    It's stable and has an excellent and swift time to market, but it needs a more precise roadmap for product launch
    • "What I found most valuable in Oracle Service Bus is its time to market. It's excellent."
    • "An area for improvement in Oracle Service Bus is the roadmap for its product launch. Currently, it's unclear, so Oracle should develop a roadmap for version 12c, so people can see what's coming out of that version of Oracle Service Bus. Cloud hosting is an additional feature I'd like to see in the next release of Oracle Service Bus."

What is our primary use case?

I'm using Oracle Service Bus for all real-time web services.

What is most valuable?

What I found most valuable in Oracle Service Bus is its time to market. It's excellent.

What needs improvement?

An area for improvement in Oracle Service Bus is the roadmap for its product launch. Currently, it's unclear, so Oracle should develop a roadmap for version 12c, so people can see what's coming out of that version of Oracle Service Bus.

I've been using Oracle Service Bus for the last ten years.

Oracle Service Bus is a stable product.

Oracle Service Bus is a scalable product.

I've often contacted the technical support for Oracle Service Bus, and on a scale of one to five, I'm rating support as four.

My company chose Oracle Service Bus over other products because of its stability.

The initial setup for Oracle Service Bus was easy.

I'm not aware of how much Oracle Service Bus costs.

What other advice do I have?

I mostly use Oracle products such as Oracle Service Bus, Oracle SOA Suite, and Oracle FMW.

I started with Oracle Service Bus version 10g and 11g, and now I'm using version 12c.

About thirty people use Oracle Service Bus within the company.

I suggest that others look into using Oracle Service Bus because it's one of the most stable products for integration.

I'd rate Oracle Service Bus as seven out of ten because the time to launch is swift, and in terms of integration, it's a stable product.

My company is an Oracle Service Bus customer.

Download our free Oracle Service Bus Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022