IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Oracle Cloud Platform OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Cloud Platform is #5 ranked solution in PaaS Services. PeerSpot users give Oracle Cloud Platform an average rating of 8 out of 10. Oracle Cloud Platform is most commonly compared to Microsoft Azure: Oracle Cloud Platform vs Microsoft Azure. Oracle Cloud Platform is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 69% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 38% of all views.
Oracle Cloud Platform Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Cloud Platform Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Oracle Cloud Platform?

The Oracle Cloud Platform (also known as Platform as a Service or PaaS) provides a shared and elastically scalable platform for consolidation of existing applications and new application development and deployment. The Oracle Cloud Platform delivers cost savings through standardization and higher utilization of the shard platform across multiple applications.

Oracle Cloud Platform Customers

Sascar, Banca Transilvania, UL, Grupo Aerom_xico SAB de CV, Grupo Arcor, Australian Finance Group Ltd., MakeMyTrip Ltd., Kovaion Consulting India Pvt. Ltd., Kalpataru Ltd, Shelf Drilling Ltd.

Oracle Cloud Platform Video

Archived Oracle Cloud Platform Reviews (more than two years old)

SyedIbrahim - PeerSpot reviewer
Information Technology Project Manager at a logistics company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good database, but lots of issues around bugs and insufficient technical support
  • "Overall, there are some very good features on Oracle and it offers good customization capabilities."
  • "Technical support does not offer the best service and should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily deliver the solution to a variety of companies, including those involved in automotive logistics.

What is most valuable?

The database is very good. It provides exact data. Overall, there are some very good features on Oracle and it offers good customization capabilities.

What needs improvement?

We've experienced some technical issues that have delayed projects. Bugs seem to pop up in new releases. Technical support does not offer the best service and should be improved.

We've been using the solution for two to three years.
Oracle Cloud Platform
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Cloud Platform. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The stability of the solution is okay, but on the technical side, there is some troubleshooting that is needed. There aren't many people that can help with this in our region. It might be a problem in the Middle East.

The solution is scalable.

We've been in contact with technical support. We're able to create and rank tickets and escalate them if necessary. We do have issues that pop up from time to time, and it seems to take a while to get results. I'd rate the service level we receive three out of ten.

The setup wasn't necessarily straightforward, and we're still working on deployment, which we plan to complete in the coming year. The finalization of the setup was delayed when we had a few issues.

The project was very large and we handled it with the help of the ATSI team.

We're constantly looking for other options. Our team keeps an eye out for other solutions that could, for example, save us money.

What other advice do I have?

We run different applications on the Oracle Cloud platform and use the cloud deployment model. We use the solution quite extensively on a daily basis. Oracle is a good option for enterprise-level companies, but for small and medium-sized businesses, I'd recommend another option. I'd rate the solution six out of ten.
Lead Database Administrator at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Very robust, with competitive pricing, but needs better integration capabilities
  • "The environment is super fast so you get all the underlying machines behind the data. It's a good processing machine, especially in the Generation Two Cloud."
  • "The solution requires tighter integration capabilities."

What is most valuable?

It's a very robust solution, especially for the environment that you move onto the cloud. It's quick and easy to access, and easy to manage.

Everything is governed by Oracle itself, including backups, and policies.

The solution makes it easy to access testimonial articles, etc.

There's an autonomous database, which is very useful. It's very efficient and easy to use and allows users to spend more time in other areas other than backup and recovery.

Pricing is very competitive. You are getting a good stack in Oracle because you're getting exit data and the backend along with the real application clusters, etc.

What needs improvement?

The Generation One Cloud doesn't have a great interface. We're using Generation Two and it's much better.

We have not tried it yet, but Azure integration would help a lot. Nowadays, it's all about having a multi-cloud platform. Integration with Azure is something we need to look into, especially on the SQL server to make sure the 2019 and 2017 SQL servers are supported.

The solution requires tighter integration capabilities.

There should be regional expansion in the availability of the solution. AWS and Azure offer much more availability right now. They have availability for almost all regions.  Cloud is something that almost every region needs to have it, so they need to make sure availability exists in Qatar.

Overall, every solution can use small improvements here and there. This solution is the same. We're still in the early days of using it, however.

We've been assessing the solution and have not deployed it yet. We're assessing it alongside Microsoft Azure and AWS. We do have hands-on experience with the solution, however.

The solution is stable. Like any other cloud platform, every day there are improvements and enhancements being done, as well as products that have been added. It's becoming more and more stable.

The solution is scalable. It had to be to manage the workload we have. Scalability is one of the most important aspects of any cloud solution.

We have about 100-150 users. We use it on a medium scale, and not too heavily right now.

We haven't spoken with technical support yet.

I've personally worked on Amazon Cloud Services. I'm certified in it. We're currently in the evaluation stage of a few different products.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's straightforward with easy to manage sites. Deployment takes three to five minutes and the machines get provisions fast. We were impressed overall with the setup procedures.

Currently, there's just one person managing the solution, and eventually we'll need help from a system administrator and an AD person.

We handled the implementation ourselves.

We're looking at a pay-as-you-go option for licensing. Ultimately, we're likely to pay monthly.

In terms of comparing the solution to Azure, the pricing is pretty competitive.

We've been evaluating AWS, Oracle Cloud and Microsoft Azure.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. We're new to the cloud, so we need more time to evaluate its capabilities.

Oracle Cloud Platform
June 2022
607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Enterprise Architect at a logistics company with 10,001+ employees
Nice user interface and good IAM performance

What is our primary use case?

I have created some database instances, and I also use IAM. I have also used the portal.

We have a private cloud deployment.

What is most valuable?

I find the interface to be great.

What needs improvement?

It is not easy to manage your data because you to need to switch your mini console to find a user.

The stability of this solution needs to be improved.

Technical support could be more responsive.

I have been using this solution for about three months.

We have had some problems with stability. From when we started using this solution, we have had several bugs.

We use this solution on a daily basis.

We have ten people working with this solution, at a minimum.

Technical support for this solution is average. I contacted them last week and just received a message from them today. It has taken them one week for a resolution.

We also use Microsoft AzureAmazon AWS, and Event Cloud. The functionality of these platforms is the same, but the performance of this solution for IAM is better.

The initial setup of this solution is easy.

We have not fully configured and deployed this solution because we still have many questions. I expect that it will be in production in about a month.

We are using a consultant to assist us with the deployment.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I recommend.

Bruno Trigo - PeerSpot reviewer
Executive Director at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
A scalable solution with an easy setup but it does not deploy well to other solutions
  • "Technical support is good. We are partners with Oracle so we are always speaking with them."
  • "The main issue for the clients is that they need to understand the credit payments because if it's a currency that's not dollars or euros, Oracle will always convert it into credits and that's not easy for the customer to understand at the beginning."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is the delivery and implementation of Oracle Cloud Platform for customers.

What is most valuable?

I believe it's the platform as a service from Oracle that is the most valuable aspect. Normally, all the Oracle native workloads are the ones that are being pushed to the cloud.

What needs improvement?

One of the main areas that might be improved is not the Oracle product itself, but more like the infrastructure as a service. Big Oracle clients will also have several workloads with Microsoft, SAP, and so on and that's forced the clients to have multi-cloud options because Oracle does not have yet have an all-inclusive offering like Google or Azure. The systems are all interconnected and we deploy on different clouds, we have connectivity issues and so on. It also causes latency issues.

They need to interconnect between clouds worldwide. One of the things that Oracle announced recently is an ability to develop interconnection between it and with Azure's clouds. They are going to interconnect physically their own cloud centers to improve response time. The clients will be able to work with Oracle or Microsoft together more easily.

The main issue for the clients is that they need to understand the credit payments. If it's a currency that's not dollars or euros, Oracle will always convert it into credits and that's not easy for the customer to understand at the beginning.

We have been Oracle partners for 15 years.

In the beginning, it wasn't very stable. We had a lot of downtime. At the moment it is much more reliable. We aren't facing any kind of issues around stability anymore.

The level of scalability depends on the products that you are using on the cloud platform. Most of them are already scalable. Others are always coming out with new offerings for scalability.

Technical support is good. We are partners with Oracle so we are always speaking with them.

The only issues we face occasionally are when we are dealing with new bugs. That's not relative to Oracle. We also have those issues when working with HP, SAP or Amazon, but Oracle has been around for many years and technical support is one of the areas that they have improved in the last ten years.

The initial setup is not complex, but we already know the Oracle technology very well and the Oracle Cloud platform has introduced new features and different ways of doing things. There's obviously a learning curve. It's quite small at the moment. They've already fixed almost all bugs. etc., so it's quite simple.

Deployment times vary. It's not the deployment of the technology itself. It's not the landscape. It's more the development that we do on top of it for the specific customer or the specific project. The creation of the database and application is quite fast but then we need to deploy everything from the client and integration itself is what will determine how long it takes.

The amount of people you will need for deployment and maintenance also varies, according to each implementation and its requirements.

What other advice do I have?

We have some customers with private cloud services where they own the machines. We also work with customers that utilize the public cloud from Oracle for deploying applications and databases.

I would rate Oracle products overall at an eight out of ten but this product at a seven out of ten simply because of not being able to easily deploy to other technologies.

Enterprise Analytic Specialist at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
Easily upgradable but it lacks customization abilities for users
  • "In terms of features, upgradeability to the latest version of Oracle suites has been a good feature. All we have to do is just patching or an upgrade, it's pretty easy. Then, it gets regularly updated. That's what I like about it."
  • "The packaging part of the software needs improvement. It lacks customization abilities for users. Giving them VMs for machine learning or running their own programs like Azure and Amazon, for example. Things like scalability based on the requirement of the tools. Oracle still lacks these kinds of things. For example, if you need a VM from Oracle, you need to pay for a monthly fee. They started developing containership but it's still at the initial stage and it's still lacking. They also need to develop integration between packages."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the public model of this solution. We have a strong Oracle investment in data within our reporting platform. This was a logical extension because Oracle provides seamless integration. That's why we picked it.

What is most valuable?

In terms of features, upgradeability to the latest version of Oracle suites has been a good feature. All we have to do is just patching or an upgrade, it's pretty easy. Then, it gets regularly updated. That's what I like about it.

What needs improvement?

The packaging part of the software needs improvement. It lacks customization abilities for users. Giving them VMs for machine learning or running their own programs like Azure and Amazon, for example. Things like scalability based on the requirement of the tools. Oracle still lacks these kinds of things. For example, if you need a VM from Oracle, you need to pay for a monthly fee. They started developing containership but it's still at the initial stage and it's still lacking. They also need to develop integration between packages.

In order for this solution to be a ten out of ten, it needs to be a little more customizable. Currently, it's not. Having said that, it's a cloud solution, but there is some rigidity when it comes to scaling up or scaling down. Oracle has to work on maybe better pricing models. If I need to run a program monthly one day in a month, I don't need to pay for a machine for the whole month. It should be a pipeline like Azure has where you just start with that pipeline. For that one or two hours when your program's running, you pay. Otherwise, you don't pay anything. If that gets added, I think it will be closer to ten out of ten. The other fact is that they need to have more data centers. Currently, we have only one in Australia. I think they should have more than one here.

I have been using this solution for almost a year.

It's stable. We hardly see any issues related to stability. I don't have a benchmark to compare it to, but we do not see many issues with stability.

I don't have a benchmark to compare it with anything, but the scalability part is still not as good compared to Amazon because you need to manually scale up the application. Although, once you select the upscale or downscale configurations, it's easy, it's smooth. It's not like Amazon where you can scale based on requirement and it's much more seamless. Here, it's not. Currently, the OCI package that we are on is customer managed more than actually Oracle managed. We do have backend access for those applications. We can modify that. Going forward, I think they will come up with a strategy where it would be more Oracle-managed rather than client managed.

We have more users on the Oracle Analytics Cloud platform, which is 50 people currently using out of a total set of 200, 250, 300 people. People are creatures of habit, so they go to the on-prem option rather than going to the cloud version. Slowly, we are migrating people to the cloud.

We hardly require any people for maintenance. In fact, we have only one guy who takes care of the maintenance part of it. For upgrading and patching, we require just one person, who is not full-time. He does his day job, this is a side job for him.

We do have plans to increase usage. We're taking it slow and migrating.

Their technical support is average. Oracle support staff are not up to the mark. They take their time. They are average in terms of support, quality, and timely in resolving issues.

I have not previously used another solution. This is the first one. That's why I mentioned a few times that I don't have a benchmark to actually compare Oracle with. When I compare it with Amazon or a similar product it's from the knowledge that I got from researching online. I don't have the first-hand experience with other cloud platforms.

There is complexity when it comes to setting up cloud platforms when you set up the network part of it. After that, it is very easy compared to if you wanted to deploy an Oracle application on Amazon or an Azure platform, you have to do the installation and you have to do all the integration. Here, it's not the case. You choose the application that you want and that springs up. That gives you everything. That's a good part about Oracle. If you are an Oracle heavy company and you want to spin up OBIEE, which is Oracle Business Integrator Platform or Oracle Data Integrator Application, you don't need to do anything. You just select the whole package and it gets deployed. When it comes to Azure or Amazon, you need to build a VM. Then, deploy this on them, install that software on the VM.

The setup takes 20 to 30 minutes.

I don't have that much information about pricing because I'm not at that level to know. It's not that expensive. I think it's maybe half or one-fourth of our actual on-prem cost, especially in Oracle Data Integrator. It's pretty cheap. Maybe around $30,000 or $40,000 per month.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be, if you have enough to invest in Oracle, I would recommend going for it. If an organization has OBI, Oracle Business Intelligence reporting platform, which is quite mature, and they want to move into cloud, Oracle's a good fit for them because it's easier to move. If you don't have anything set and you don't have that much of investment in Oracle, I wouldn't recommend it. I would recommend Amazon because of the sheer fact that it's a much more stable integration. You get a lot more options. You can play a lot more in terms of upscaling or downscaling the solution.

I would rate it a six or seven out of ten.

Andrew Lacy - PeerSpot reviewer
Presales Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Easy to get data in and out of the cloud but better tech support and documentation will make it more user-friendly
  • "What I like most about Oracle Cloud Platform is the ease of getting data in and out of the cloud, and the affordable licensing."
  • "The technical support is really bad, because their reaction time is extremely slow."

What is our primary use case?

We are not using the solution ourselves internally but for our customers.

How has it helped my organization?

Because of the fact that only our external customers make use of this solution, it hasn't really affected our organization.

What is most valuable?

What I like most about Oracle Cloud Platform is the ease of getting data in and out of the cloud and the affordable licensing.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better documentation to make it easier to use, as well as more standard components offered in this solution. New features are being regularly added to the oracle Cloud, and this is not always reflected in the documentation. This can make the automation of the installation quite tricky. Right now there are many components in the database on-premises, but in the cloud that's limited. I would, therefore, like to see all those components that are offered on-premises, offered in the cloud as well. (e.g. APEX, Spatial, etc.)

I've been using this solution for about three years now.

So far it hasn't really been stable, but it is stable enough for our customer. Stability has improved over the years, though.

Our two customers that use this solution, have 50 and 300 users respectively. I believe it is scalable.

The technical support could be a lot better, because their reaction time is extremely slow.

The initial setup was quite complex. We wanted to do the setup with Terraform, the infrastructure's code, but the documentation was particularly bad for Terraform. Not only for Oracle but for Oracle Cloud itself. We are partners, so the installation was done by ourselves and it took us about three days. We currently have two staff to maintain and deploy it.

We also considered using Amazon and Azure.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be to take more time to deploy and to try and automate the deployment process. Due to the lack of proper documentation and complexity, as well as the poor tech support, I will rate this solution a six out of ten.

User at Federal High Court
Flexible solution that enables us to write Java scripts
  • "I like that the program is flexible. I can use it to write Java scripts. I also like the website, because it constantly updates me on things, like artificial intelligence, and the latest technology. I read the articles, on the latest technology that programmers can use."
  • "There's one app I have to install on my device, the Articulate Player app. It's only available on Apple and Android, but it's not available for Windows. I can't run the program on my desktop, to use it to learn Java."

What is our primary use case?

I want to get OCA for Java, so I am using it for practice.

What is most valuable?

I like that the program is flexible. I can use it to write Java scripts. I also like the website because it constantly updates me on things, like artificial intelligence, and the latest technology. I read the articles, on the latest technology that programmers can use.

What needs improvement?

There's one app I have to install on my device, the Articulate Player app. It's only available on Apple and Android, but it's not available for Windows. I can't run the program on my desktop, to use it to learn Java. If I want to learn Java, I have to install the program, but I would like it if was available for desktops. I use my PC to learn most of the time.

I've been using the solution for one year.

The solution is very stable. If you are using it to build an application, it's stable.

Technical support is helpful. I don't really need them. It's simple to learn how to use it.

It's very easy. I just accept to complete the install. Since it's an application, you just press install. The deployment didn't take long.

I implemented the solution myself.

What other advice do I have?

I would give the solution a rating of 8 out of 10.

I would like it if maybe they could create a curriculum for Java, if they can integrate a curriculum for learning Java specifically, for the certification. The Oracle certification for Java. I'm using it to teach kids how to code.

Rajeev Jha - PeerSpot reviewer
Database Manager at Wartsila India Ltd
Scale Up Dependent Applications & Optimize Quickly
  • "Apart from the licensing, there's support from Oracle Cloud Platform which improved our day to day operations. Time is reduced. Based on this service, we are able to scale up dependent applications as quickly as we can."
  • "With the Oracle Cloud Platform, they have to give first some proper documentation with a step-by-step process. Then the customer is able to use it properly. Nowadays, the Oracle Cloud Platform requires lots of floor work."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the LAN2 as well as the Oracle Cloud Platform. We running the Gen-2 which is called the OC2. We have a global company working with more than 185 employees.

We have customers around the globe and our company is located in 17 international locations. We needed solutions which could be good for our customers as well as our service applications.

We have decided to test the Oracle Cloud Platform. After the testing, we found that it was good for our use case. Thereafter, we have adopted it.

The POC for Oracle Cloud Platform is done. After POC, we have tested with various applications and found it is optimizing us with less time, so that's why we are using it.

How has it helped my organization?

Apart from the licensing, there's support from Oracle Cloud Platform which improved our day to day operations. Time is reduced. Based on this service, we are able to scale up dependent applications as quickly as we can.

There are many other various features of the Oracle Cloud Platform that we have used. It is very good for us in our business organization.

What is most valuable?

Oracle is an enterprise database technology. We have used Oracle products in our database department. That is why most of our testing was in regards to the database department.

What needs improvement?

With the Oracle Cloud Platform, they have to give first some proper documentation with a step-by-step process. Then the customer is able to use it properly.

Nowadays, the Oracle Cloud Platform requires lots of floor work. Things are level in the market and the Oracle naming conversion is something to make a difference between cloud providers.

Those hands-on sessions with Oracle Cloud Platform will be enough, i.e. for product improvement, hands-on sessions can be arranged.

Automation is something else that Oracle can do to improve the service. Apart from that, if you can arrange some hands-on sessions with Oracle to preview OCP, it would be good.

Three to five years.

The stability of OCP is great, it will scale. The solution is excellent. The only caveat is that you have to understand how to properly use it.

The scalability of OCP is very good, more than 7,000 people are using it as of now. They are all in different roles. Other OCP applications, we are using mainly for reporting.

After the training for the deployment, there were 3 people who were taking care of all the core construction. Apart from the OCP side, we have another network expert.

We are planning to increase our usage of OCP. We have adopted e-licensing for the cloud environment. Now we are planning for the next stage of development of services.

Most of the customer support was done from the Oracle side. Then we did it from our end also. This was good and they also did well. The technical support is okay.

Customer service representatives respond to your ticket whenever you have issues with the Oracle Cloud Platform. They respond on time.

We have evaluated AWS. We have evaluated Microsoft Azure as well, but not for this purpose.

The initial setup of the Oracle Cloud Platform is complex with some programming languages, domains, and the networking that we have to do. i.e. uploading our databases, etc.

Those all provide a little bit of a challenge on the Oracle Cloud Platform that we have to understand, and also as per the compliance rules. Then we chose it.

For the setup overall, it was taking not more than 40 days. Then for the next 3 months after implementation, we have done the same for the client sites and service applications.

The final implementation of OCP was not taking more than 20 days. All of our deployment is ready and everyone is able to use it with integration for all our systems.

One consultant that we used was for the DV training. We have gone with a consultancy with them and they guided us in the proper way to get training.

That was very awesome and we understood the concepts for the cloud differences between AWS, Google Cloud, & OCP, as well as conducted one fitness evaluation for our introduction.

Implementation proceeded the way they described it and everything was very good.

OCP is good, not too expensive. Based on the need you can say that there are other good options for people who can go with less time and other approaches to the services.

Both pricing and licensing are affordable with the Oracle Cloud Platform.

We have tested with AWS, we tested with Google, but due to the limitation of AWS, we are not able to host our applications. We are not able to use the rack.

The AWS billing figures were not up to our requirements. That's why we have decided to go with Oracle instead of any other competitor.

What other advice do I have?

If people are looking for a cloud solution I recommend Oracle, but there is one thing which is very challenging to us: with Oracle, there are many options packages.

You can get extreme performance and other things, but it's really costly and that needs to be paid extra for on the plan.

Overall, I give Oracle Cloud Platform an 8/10. Because our consultant showed us how to use Oracle for our service, that was very beneficial.

From the team I come from for my product support also I can say 8/10 for OCP.

Sudip Dey - PeerSpot reviewer
ITA at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Deployment is the most valuable feature but the setup was not simple

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to do implementations on the cloud like Oracle Application, PeopleSoft, and E-Business Suite.

What is most valuable?

The deployment is the most valuable feature.

Three to five years.

The stability of the solution is okay.

The users we have are from 100's to 1000's. It depends on the deployment. The implementation strategy depends on a case by case basis.

The setup was not very simple but not complex either.

I am not involved with the pricing model of the solution.

Cloud Architect, Oracle ACE, Oracle DBA at Pythian
MSP
It is seamless, self-driving, and self-healing

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is administering a critical production database on an Oracle Cloud Platform

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved my company by cutting my time to market.

What is most valuable?

The most important features are the turnkey solutions offered by Oracle. These ease the administration of Oracle Databases.

What needs improvement?

More technical papers could be published to help out professionals.

I have migrated more than 10 databases to Oracle Cloud Platform and all of them perform optimally.

Customer service could be improved.

Before, we were managing databases on-premise. Now, we manage them on the cloud.

My ROI has increased.

Make sure you read the fine print.

What other advice do I have?

The Oracle Cloud Platform is seamless, self-driving, and self-healing.

it_user416409 - PeerSpot reviewer
Project Manager, Oracle ERP Implementation Project at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The most valuable feature is the reporting service

How has it helped my organization?

The managerial reporting view has been enhanced.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the reporting service.

What needs improvement?

I would like more technical expertise.

We have been using this solution for eight months.

The solution is efficient.

I would give customer service a rating of 7/10.

I would give technical support a rating of 7/10.

We used a desktop application previous to this solution.

We implemented through a vendor.

Download our free Oracle Cloud Platform Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: June 2022