We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Oracle API Management OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle API Management is #21 ranked solution in top API Management tools. PeerSpot users give Oracle API Management an average rating of 8 out of 10. Oracle API Management is most commonly compared to Apigee: Oracle API Management vs Apigee. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 36% of all views.
What is Oracle API Management?

Oracle API Management enable you to streamline business and IT objectives by managing the lifecycle of your APIs, outsource application enhancement by empowering developers through API adoption, and add a mobile front to your applications and capture new revenue opportunities with seamless API enablement.

Download the API Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Oracle API Management Video

Oracle API Management Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Oracle API Management pricing:
"Oracle is not a cheap solution and it is not affordable for all of our clients in Portugal."

Oracle API Management Reviews

Senior Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good security and technical support, but the price could be made more affordable
  • "The most valuable features for us are security and centralization."
  • "Before gaining experience with the product, I found that it was not simple to use and things took longer to do than I had anticipated."

What is our primary use case?

We are a multivendor solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients. We also use it internally.

The main reason we use this solution is to centralize APIs.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features for us are security and centralization.

What needs improvement?

The price of this solution should be lowered.

The first time that we implemented a project using Oracle API Management was about three years ago.

This is a stable solution and I don't have any complaints. While we do have problems, what we have found is that the issues are with the APIs themselves. It might be the structure or the connections, but the problem is not with the manager.

I think that as a cloud-based solution, it is easily scalable. I would not say that it is vertically scalable, adding CPUs or memory, but parallelization and horizontal scaling should not be a problem.

Our company has more than 1,000 employees but this solution serves many external users as well. There are probably many thousands of users, in total. There are millions of requests that are made.

The technical support from Oracle is very good. We have had many problems but we have good attention from support in Portugal.

In the past, when we have had very serious problems that could not be solved by the support team in Portugal, we have had to go to other countries. It took a while to resolve but I can't say that the support was not good. It may not have been fast enough, but in the end, the problem was solved and things get done.

We do use other API Management solutions for specific projects but our main solution, which is also used internally, is Oracle.

In the past, when I was a software architect, I gained some experience with Microsoft Azure API Management and other products.

The initial setup was easy. We did have some questions with respect to handing all of the demand, but it was not hard. With the right people, everything is easy.

We have a team of three people who maintain this solution. They handle other products and there is some development, as well. If their only task was support then I think that a team of two people would suffice.

We are currently searching for other, more affordable options for future projects.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle can be somewhat complex at times, not with respect to the interface but the mechanisms. However, if you have the right people with the right knowledge then it won't be a problem.

Many people, including engineers, don't know what API management is or what it can be. I think that if Oracle can make this solution simple to set up and simple to use, with many examples of how people can set it up and get things done, then it will be helpful for companies who don't have this type of solution.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Other
Technical Development Lead at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use with good scalability and performance
  • "The initial setup isn't overly difficult."
  • "We'd like it if they could reduce the cost without sacrificing on features."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the product for the APIs, which we are building in-house. We are exposing it to external or even for internal application to application integrations using this gateway.

What is most valuable?

The product has been very easy to use.

The performance is great.

The solution can scale.

The initial setup isn't overly difficult.

What needs improvement?

I'm from the development team. We have a different infrastructure team, which is actually managing the product and is closer to the features. From my side, I do not see any areas that are lacking.

The licensing could be better. We are looking for open source. We have evaluated a few. We'd like them to have some sort of open-source option. We'd like it if they could reduce the cost without sacrificing on features.

I've been using the solution for at least ten years. It's been a long time.

The performance of the product is good.it's stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The users of the API gateway are actually the applications, for example, how many APIs we have. We have hundreds of APIs.

We're always increasing usage.

We have many Oracle products - not just this one. We are completely an Oracle shop. We have yearly support from Oracle. We are using Oracle fusion middleware, like Oracle WebLogic and Oracle databases. I'm not sure if it's premium or not.

I'm not sure about the initial setup as I haven't done it myself. That said, it should not be too difficult as we are used to the process. For us, it should not be a difficult installation. That said, we haven't compared it with other installations.

We have a technical team of around 50 to 70. They are all engineers, developers, and managers.

The cost of the solution is very high. It's not very cheap. Some companies may not be able to afford it.

We have looked at open-source options and have looked at Apigee from Google and the WSO2 API gateway.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and an end-user.

We are currently using whatever is the latest version of the product, as it's my understanding that Oracle has discontinued this. They are moving to the cloud. The latest is on the cloud only. There will be no more on-premises.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. I've been happy with its capabilities.

I'd recommend the solution to others, however, they need to keep in mind the cost is quite high.

Find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, Google, Broadcom and others in API Management. Updated: January 2022.
564,322 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Enterprise Architect at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
A great source for publishing, but the user interface could be improved
  • "The security, the authentication, and the publishing qualities are great."
  • "From an administration and developer point of view, the user interface and user experience are not great."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution in the enterprise for publishing APIs to external client systems and internal systems to receive and process requests. We are using this solution for monitoring and securing all inbound and outbound web-service traffic.

We have roughly 100+ published APIs and around 500,000 daily API invocations.

Given the current market situation in the trade community, we don't have plans to increase our usage for at least one to two years.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us to better organize, control and monitor the APIs across the solution landscape in the enterprise.

What is most valuable?

The security, the authentication, and the publishing qualities are great. We are especially fond of its transformation features. Its support for SOAP based web-services is very good and comprehensive.

What needs improvement?

Although it is working great for us at the moment, we don't enjoy its user-interface. The UI is based on old approach and needs an overhaul to modernize the UI and user interaction. Developer collaboration tools also needs serious enhancements.

I have been using this solution for almost 5 years.

Oracle API Management is both very stable.

Oracle API Management is both very scalable.

The technical support is good.

The initial setup was not complex — it's quite simple.

We implemented the solution in-house without any vendor team involement

Not at that time, however, we are currently evaluating other solutions. We are using it because it was available as part of the existing Oracle technology stack in the enterprise.

Oracle changed the licensing to their cloud offering. This is the primary reason we are looking for a complete on-premise solution.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of six.