IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Microsoft DPM OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft DPM is #26 ranked solution in best Backup and Recovery Software. PeerSpot users give Microsoft DPM an average rating of 6 out of 10. Microsoft DPM is most commonly compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Microsoft DPM vs Veeam Backup & Replication. Microsoft DPM is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 55% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.
Microsoft DPM Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft DPM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Microsoft DPM?

Microsoft Data Protection Manager (DPM) is an enterprise backup system that can be used to back up data from a source location to a target secondary location. Microsoft DPM allows you to back up application data from Microsoft servers and workloads, and file data from servers and client computers. You can create full backups, incremental backups, differential backups, and bare-metal backups to completely restore a system. Microsoft DPM can store backup data to disks for short-term storage, to Azure Cloud for both for short-term and long-term storage off-premises, and to tapes for long-term storage, which can then be stored offsite. Backed up files are indexed, which allows you to easily search your recovered data.

Microsoft DPM contributes to your business continuity and disaster recovery strategy by facilitating the backup and recovery of enterprise data, ensuring resources are available and recoverable during planned and unplanned outages. When outages occur and source data is unavailable, you can use DPM to easily restore data to the original source or to an alternate location.

Key Features of Microsoft DPM:

• Application-aware backup: Application-aware backup of Microsoft workloads, including SQL Server, Microsoft Exchange, and SharePoint.

• File backup: Back up files and folders on computers running Windows Server and Windows operating systems.

• System backup: Back up the entire system state or run complete backups of physical computers running Windows Server or Windows client operating systems.

• Hyper-V backup: Back up Hyper-V virtual machines running either Windows or Linux. You can choose to back up an entire virtual machine or specific applications on the virtual machine.

Reviews from Real Users

Microsoft DPM stands out among its competitors for a number of reasons. Two major ones are its robust and flexible backup capabilities and its being easy to manage with one central dashboard.

William M., the head of ICT infrastructure & security at a tech services company, notes, "The automated procedure is quite good for us, as it is able to capture all of the information that we require. The compatibility is very good. We have an IBM AS/400 machine in our office that we're using, and we're able to back it up fine. This is the same for other systems, as well. I think that overall, it is really adaptable, compatible, and scalable."

Mohammed I., a managing director at Adalites, notes, "I would definitely recommend data protection DPM. It has an application backup, a file backup, a system backup and a hypervisor. It works flawlessly, never a problem."

Rodney C. a system analyst at a financial services firm, writes, "The most valuable feature is that DPM has an index so individual files can be searched. This is our primary tool for recovering deleted files or folders. Once we implement a System Center Operations Manager, all of our DPM servers can then be seen on one dashboard."

Microsoft DPM was previously known as DPM, Data Protection Manager, MS DPM.

Microsoft DPM Customers

Medical Park, Centropol Energy, a.s., NCFE, D & H Distributing, Metalor, Colosseum, a.s., Sanitas S.A., Icebreaker

Microsoft DPM Video

Archived Microsoft DPM Reviews (more than two years old)

RamaswamyK - PeerSpot reviewer
M. I. S. Manager at Ruby Mills Ltd
Has the ability to give a BMR for all the workstations or servers that I want to connect to
  • "Its capability to give a BMR for all the workstations that I want to connect to."
  • "The user friendliness could be improved."

How has it helped my organization?

I found Microsoft DPM pretty useful. It satisfied most of my requirements. We have a local tape drive as well, so we do an online backup of the exchange onto hard discs which later gets transferred to the tape drive. It seems to be fulfilling all the requirements, except I would say it's not very user-friendly.

What is most valuable?

One of its most valuable features is its capability to give a BMR for all the workstations that I want to connect to or to the servers, as well as the fact that it could do an online backup off the exchange.

What needs improvement?

I would say the user-friendliness could be improved because I have found that my colleagues are not finding it very easy to use. I have used it quite well. I was able to do a lot of features within it, but for a frustrated user, it becomes a little user-unfriendly. Also, one issue was if I wanted to restore mail - it's not feasible here.

I have been familiar with this solution for about six years.
Microsoft DPM
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft DPM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
608,713 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I had no problem with the stability - I could easily schedule it for the times I wanted the backups to take place.

I didn't have any issues with the scalability.

I only contacted customer support once. It's a brilliant product.

The initial setup was straightforward. It took about an hour. I did it myself.

We bought the system center and we bought the DPM, as well, so I didn't need to upgrade the product at a later stage. I bought the SA for one year so it didn't cost much. I can't remember what I paid for the total licensing cost of that. Then, after one or two years we bought it on a three-year fee scenario and since then I have not had the need to buy any more SA solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Microsoft DPM an eight on a scale from1-10.

Group Assistant, General Manager of IT at CIC
Backup and recovery that is stable but support is no longer in existence
  • "The most valuable feature is the recovery."
  • "We can't take a snapshot and take it outside, which is a problem."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for backup and recovery.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the recovery. The recovery of files on its own is no problem.

What needs improvement?

The DPM is pretty good, but when it comes to external devices, you can't back up to the external device. It's a huge drawback because once everything goes down, it goes down fully. We can't take a snapshot and take it outside, which is a problem.

Also, when it comes to recovery, the recovery process doesn't work properly. It doesn't recover. One of our drives failed and when we wanted to recover it from the other drive, it never worked. So, we couldn't recover the data.

Recovery of data if the server goes down, is not very good.

The DPM is good apart from the support services. We were told that the support was no longer in existence, which is why we are looking for another provider.

In the next release, I would like to see backup to external devices, so it can always restore the backup and we can take it externally and store it somewhere that it is off-site and archived. Currently, it does not allow us to do that because it is required to be in one location.

I have been using this solution for almost six years.

We have the latest update.

This solution is stable, we have not had any issues and the DPM is good. When it came to updating the backup, we had some issues.

We have 100 users, but in the old group, we had about 300.

The technical support is good.

The only issue is that we didn't have the support services when it comes to our requirements. They said that the support is normal.

The initial setup is straightforward. There is no complexity.

The deployment took about a day, to get the backup sorted out.

We have our own team and the Microsoft team came to help us.

We wanted to use Veritas, but the support for our services was not available.

What other advice do I have?

Because of our budget constraints, we had some issues and wanted to go ahead with this DPM because it is a Microsoft product. We were told that this particular software is known and in operation worldwide, and when it comes to backups in existence it's listed in the October 2019 report.

My advice would be not to install DPM because of the support services.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Microsoft DPM
June 2022
608,713 professionals have used our research since 2012.
System Administrator with 51-200 employees
A solution with a good user interface that's stable and quick to set up

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for my documentation projects.

What is most valuable?

The user interface is very good. The reporting and monitoring features are also good.

What needs improvement?

The data tagging feature needs improvement. The solution could be a bit more intuitive in certain aspects.

I've been using the solution for three years.

The solution is stable. We've never had any issues.

Technical support is good. We're satisfied with the level of support we get.

The initial setup is very easy. Deployment takes less than an hour.

We did use consultants to assist with some features.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

Overall, I really like the product. There's not really any feature that is missing.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. it's very user-friendly, and I can do everything I need to do. It's very simple for me to use.

it_user175563 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Systems Administrator at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
Fast restores​ improved the business but a recent minor upgrade required a reboot of all of my protected 2008 servers

What is most valuable?

Ease of D2D and D2T backups.

How has it helped my organization?

Fast restores

What needs improvement?

In the areas of disaster recovery.

2.5 years.

Recent minor upgrade required a reboot of all of my protected 2008 servers. This I considered unacceptable as I had to reschedule an outage window to reboot 100+ servers.

Yes, occasionally protection will stop working say for a simple system state backup.

Microsoft support for this product is very good. Open a web ticket and they will call you and still maintain the ticket as a web ticket

Organization used BUExec but migrated to DPM because of Microsoft licensing and cost to maintain BUExec.

Straightforward.

In-house implementation.

Not given opportunity by management to evaluate additional products.

What other advice do I have?

Very good for Microsoft workloads.

Database Expert with 51-200 employees
Reliable, but serious issues.

Valuable Features:

Recovery.

Room for Improvement:

Yes: failure of primary; agent resource use.

Other Advice:

I'm afraid I fail to see how the CEO of a 500+ employee company can be a "real user" in any relevant sense. The real hands-on experience with DPM is that it's difficult to set up unless you get it right first time, the agent processes gobble CPU and i/o, and if you're unfortunate enough for your DPM primary to go awol, you're faced with building a complete DPM network again because the secondary/ies will refuse full backups if the primary isn't there.

it_user6414 - PeerSpot reviewer
CEO at a tech company with 51-200 employees
Ultimate tool for great file system savings and fabric administration optimization

Valuable Features:

• Data Protection Manager enables fabric administrators to exercise flexibility and freedom in carrying out live migrations of VMs. As an administrator, it is easier now to handle migration of VMs from standalone to cluster, move them within standalones as well as within and across the cluster. • Offers a perfect solution to redundant data. Data Protection Manager assigns a link to the actual file that connects it to the common area where duplicated cold data is stored. I have found this to be a great saving on file system as file contents are maintained in common chunks.

Room for Improvement:

• Optimization of fabric administrator cause management problem to arise in backup administrator as it leads to the backup software failure in a manner that cannot be foreseen or anticipated finding backup administrators unawares. • In trying to solve the backup issue, Data Protection Manager involves complex connection of DPMs and VMM serves which may pose a challenge to beginners.

Other Advice:

Data Protection Manager provides data protection to your business system which covers every challenge posed by VMs migration. Through efficient use of DPMs or leveraging the situation by applying recovery techniques such as Item Level Recovery, data protection and recovery can be highly boasted. Leaning and understanding the file will enable one to master recovery techniques such as capability to recover directories and small file rather than the whole volume. This make the experience with Data Protection Manager a delight.
Download our free Microsoft DPM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: June 2022