IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Microsoft Azure Application Gateway OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Azure Application Gateway is #3 ranked solution in top Application Delivery Controllers and top Web Application Firewalls. PeerSpot users give Microsoft Azure Application Gateway an average rating of 8 out of 10. Microsoft Azure Application Gateway is most commonly compared to Azure Front Door: Microsoft Azure Application Gateway vs Azure Front Door. Microsoft Azure Application Gateway is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 63% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 28% of all views.

Download the Application Delivery Controllers (ADC) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Microsoft Azure Application Gateway?

Azure Application Gateway is a web traffic load balancer that enables you to manage traffic to your web applications. Traditional load balancers operate at the transport layer (OSI layer 4 - TCP and UDP) and route traffic based on source IP address and port, to a destination IP address and port.

To learn more about our solution, ask questions, and share feedback, join our Microsoft Security, Compliance and Identity Community.

Microsoft Azure Application Gateway was previously known as Azure Application Gateway, MS Azure Application Gateway.

Microsoft Azure Application Gateway Customers

Lilly, AccuWeather, AIRFRANCE, Honeywell

Microsoft Azure Application Gateway Video

Microsoft Azure Application Gateway Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft Azure Application Gateway pricing:
  • "Between v1 and v2, there is a lot of change in the pricing. It is very costly compared to AWS."
  • "The cost is not an issue."
  • Microsoft Azure Application Gateway Reviews

Network Administrator at a government with 201-500 employees
    Needs better security and functionality, and requires more intelligence to make it competitive
    • "The solution was very easy to configure. It wasn't hard at all to adjust it to our needs."
    • "The security of the product could be adjusted."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily used the solution to try to protect a few internet-facing applications that we had.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The functionality needs a lot of improvement. The security of the product could be adjusted. The scalability needs improvement. Overall, it just wasn't a great product. It was lacking in a lot of areas. Just watching the industry, it could be that Microsoft, is going to have to give more resources to it in order to make it work. Microsoft knows a lot about software. They're going to have to get more resources into it and add people and time to it to make it competitive. They may even need to consider some sort of acquisition to bring in new tech. Right now, the solution just isn't there in terms of what is needed and expected. The solution simply has to be more comparable to other leading product s at this point. It's just lacking the overall intelligence to compete.

We've been playing around with the solution for about a year at this point.
    Application Delivery Controllers (ADC)
    June 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, F5, HAProxy and others in Application Delivery Controllers (ADC). Updated: June 2022.
    607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The stability is good from the standpoint of it works like it was intended to work. That said, it's not really functional enough to be able to have any type of confidence in it. If stability for a company just means that it stands there and it does what it's supposed to do, then, from that standpoint, it's stable.

In terms of scalability, we looked at a lot of different things, and put a lot of work in, including meeting with Microsoft. However, truth be told, we know and Microsoft knows that the product is just not where it needs to be. It's not a secret. Therefore, I wouldn't say it's completely scalable. Currently, there may be a few hundred people on the solution.

Microsoft has been with us throughout the process, and they've been pretty good from a technical support standpoint. We're satisfied with the level of service we have been provided.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup was straightforward. It wasn't complex. In terms of the configuration, one of the things users have to understand is that the configuration is very specific. Our knowledge may have slowed the process, however, I don't think it was a bad configuration process. We probably got it done and then tested it over the course of a month, or a few months, or so. That was just testing. Looking at everything within the configuration for what we needed only takes - it end to end - a day. It doesn't take a genius to get everything up and running. You need a technical person that can follow the directions because you do have things outside of the software that has to be considered, however, it really doesn't take a genius to do it. We only need three people to maintain the solution and deploy any updates.

I don't handle the billing aspect of the solution, therefore I don't know anything about the licensing costs for it.

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Microsoft. We tend to use the latest versions of the solution. I wouldn't recommend the solution. I'd advise others to look for something else on the market that has access to a cloud. I'd rate the solution one out of ten. It's a security product that needs to be functional, and at this point, it's simply not.
    Roopesh P - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Manager at Nivaata System Pvt ltd
    Provides security features comparable to AWS, but certificate updates take too long
    • "It has a filter available, although we are not currently using it because it is not part of our requirements. But it is a good option and when it becomes part of our requirements we will definitely use it."
    • "It takes a lot of time for a certificate to update in the system. That is a huge drawback, affecting the load-balancing side. And when there are changes to the load balancing, it affects the end-user."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for application load balancing and scaling.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Microsoft Azure Application for the last six months.

I think the scalability is okay, but I haven't tried to scale it.

Application Gateway is tied into our applications. We have about 5,000 connections into Application Gateway, on average. There are around 800 to 900 requests per minute.

I have not had to contact Microsoft tech support about Azure Application Gateway.

Previously, we were in AWS. We just migrated to Azure.

The initial setup is straightforward. If you compare it with AWS, it's a little bit complicated, but overall, the technical aspects are very simple.

A normal Application Gateway deployment takes around 20 to 25 minutes, but again, the application of certificate changes takes around 20 to 25 minutes, so the total time involved is about one hour.

We did not use a third-party. Currently, I'm the only person handling the solution in our company. My main task in Application Gateway is configuration, as it's a service that is provided by Azure. There is not much more for me to do than configure it.

Between v1 and v2, there is a lot of change in the pricing. It is very costly compared to AWS. Our main implementation strategy is based around the pricing. If there are any technical features that we need to consider in addition, we will. If the prices for those additional features are okay then we will use them.

The features in both AWS and Azure seem to be comparable. We are enabling all the security features that were available in AWS.

From my few months of experience with Azure, the configuration changes we are making in Application Gateway, such as a certificate change, are taking more time to apply to the service. In AWS it was very quick. It would take less than one minute, but here it takes almost 10 minutes to apply that certificate. That time difference is huge. That is the only drawback or issue that I have faced with the Azure Application Gateway.

Other than that, the two services look the same.

What other advice do I have?

There are two versions of Application Gateway. Version 2 is a seven out of 10. I would rate version 1 at three to four out of 10.

Application Delivery Controllers (ADC)
    June 2022
    607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    TonyKerr - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Consultant at productive it solutions
    Probes and provides information about the backend health and works very well
    • "The health probe is pretty good for your backend health. It tells you whether it's communicating and talking to the endpoint correctly. It is quite useful."
    • "It is a bit tricky to configure. You've got to have a very specific format to configure it. They should make it a little bit easier to configure. Mapping the certificates into it isn't easy, and it could be better. Currently, you've to write a bit of automation to pull certificates directly to HTTPS."

What is our primary use case?

It is for securing traffic. It provides security against OWASP Top 10 vulnerabilities, so there is a V2 WAF App gateway.

How has it helped my organization?

This product works well to secure my public facing websites from things like sql injections

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

It is a bit tricky to configure in the UI. You've got to configure front end back end ports ips and the  map the listeners & rules for single or multi sites to configure it. They should make it a little bit easier to configure a pre-defined configuration Mapping the certificates from key vault. I think this would make app-gateway much better although it is a very good secure product. Automating this end to end takes a bit of of time to work out but once its done its very secure.

I used it within the last six months.

Its stability is pretty good. I've had it running now for about six months.

It scales pretty well. Its availability seems pretty good. As long as you set the metrics right, it will scale efficiently.

Their support is all right. Microsoft's support has covered it pretty well. I would rate them a four out of five.

It is a bit tricky to configure, but once you do it, it is all right. Its configuration is a bit tricky in terms of getting the rules right. You got to get the rules right, and you got to get the endpoints right. The backend is easy enough to configure, but you need to get the rules right.

The mapping of the certificate got to be done in a very specific way for it to work. Once the certificate is there, pulling that certificate is easy enough, but you've got to map it manually because the configuration settings are quite tricky to do. You've to basically do it in the UI. I've had to do that a couple of times, so I've got it perfect in automation.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise going for OWASP Top 10 filtering. It is a must-have for V2 WAF security.

Overall, I'd rate it an eight out of ten. It is a good product, and once you get it configured, it does work well.

Presales Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Easy to set up, stable, and scalable
    • "The solution is easy to set up."
    • "The configuration is very specific right now and needs to be much more flexible."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution during application deployments. I use it to protect the applications.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers good protection of applications during deployment. It makes the deployment of applications that are on Azure fairly straightforward.

The solution is easy to set up.

What needs improvement?

The configuration is very specific right now and needs to be much more flexible. They need to work on it so that it's much easier to configure the solution so that it works how we need it to. It needs to be customizable.

The firewall portion of the gateway is very basic. It needs to be improved upon. It needs to be more robust.

I've been using the solution for a while now.

The solution is quite stable. We haven't had issues with bugs or glitches. It's reliable. It doesn't crash or freeze. We've enjoyed the level of stability provided by the product.

The solution is quite scalable. If a company needs to expand it out a bit, it should be able to do so easily. It's not hard to do so if you need to.

We have about 40 people who are currently using the solution within our organization.

We've dealt with technical support in the past moreso in relation to the cloud solution. They helped us with some technical aspects and we found them to be quite helpful. We're satisfied with the level of support that we've been given so far.

I also have experience with Radware, Fortinet, and Check Point, among other solutions. We use a variety of different solutions within our organization.

The initial setup is not overly complex, to be honest. For our organization, it was quite an easy setup. It was straightforward. A company shouldn't struggle with getting it up and running.

Depending on the configuration, I can handle a deployment over the course of one day or so.

I was able to handle the implementation myself. I did not need the assistance of a consultant or integrator.

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with Microsoft.

While, at this moment, Azure is only on the public cloud at this moment, the applications are all deployed on-premises.

I'd recommend the solution to other organizations. Overall, we've had a good experience.

I would rate this product at a nine out of ten.

Cloud Solutions Administrator at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Easy to work with, has good pricing, and is quite scalable
    • "The pricing is quite good."
    • "The monitoring on the solution could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to just secure the traffic coming from the outside into our application.

What is most valuable?

Overall, we've been happy with the solution.

The solution has good integrations. You can combine it between a few different options.

The product is easy to work with. It has a very high level of performance.

The solution is well supported by Mircosoft. If you run into issues, they are there to assist and to work with you to resolve everything.

The pricing is quite good.

What needs improvement?

Occasionally the solution is too secure and we need it to allow in specific traffic. It tends to cut that traffic off due to its high security settings.

The monitoring on the solution could be better.

The product requires better reporting capabilities. Currently, we need to have a third-party handle that aspect for us.

There needs to be more of a security center. That way, we're able to see everything that's going on in the system.

The product needs to offer DDoS protection.

I've been working on the solution for one year. It hasn't been too long at this point.

This solution is quite stable. We haven't had any issues. It's been reliable.

When it comes to scalability, there are no limitations. Azure gives you whatever your environments need. It has all the capabilities to do what you require.

Technical support has been really great. It's one of its selling features. Microsoft is quite supportive and we've been very happy with their level of service so far.

The initial setup wasn't too complex. It was pretty straightforward. We didn't run into any issues in general.

The solution is quite reasonably priced. It costs less than other cloud solutions.

What other advice do I have?

We are Microsoft partners.

I would recommend this product to people. It's safe and Microsoft recommends it as well. Up until this point, it's working great for us. It's excellent at catching attacks and suspicious content.

Overall, I would rate it at a ten out of ten. It works well for us and offers good performance.

System Administrator at a comms service provider
    A web traffic load balancer with a useful WAF feature, but it could be more stable
    • "The most valuable feature is WAF."
    • "It could be more stable, and support could be better. It would also be better if they offered more features. For example, it lacks security features. Before we used another English solution, and we realized that some of the rules were not set up correctly and passed through the Application Gateway's English controllers. But the problem, in this case, is if you send ten rules, for example, six rules hit some issues. IP address blocking could be better. The rules, for example, don't work properly. If you have one issue, one rule or another rule will not work. This sounds like total madness to me."

What is our primary use case?

We tried to integrate Microsoft Azure Application Gateway into our technology stack, but we realized that our service solution didn't see it at all during the integration. But I was played around with it for about two weeks to one month.

We were searching for a WAF solution which we could integrate into our stack and were using the management provided by the agent. We tried to integrate a vacation gateway controller, but we realized that the integration wasn't very good.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is WAF.

What needs improvement?

It could be more stable, and support could be better. It would also be better if they offered more features. For example, it lacks security features. Before we used another English solution, and we realized that some of the rules were not set up correctly and passed through the Application Gateway's English controllers. But the problem, in this case, is if you send ten rules, for example, six rules hit some issues.

I used Microsoft Azure Application Gateway for about two weeks to a month.

We got the feeling that this product wasn't stable or good enough for us.

Microsoft technical support could be better. For example, when some rules were disabled and other rules couldn't be disabled, I contacted Microsoft Support. But I didn't get an answer until the next day.

The initial setup was very complex. I spent a lot of time just troubleshooting the backend and figuring out how to connect it correctly. It can take just minutes or hours to sort it by hand using the agent portal. But it took me several days to realize how to set up it using Terraform.

I installed and deployed this solution by myself.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Microsoft Azure Application Gateway a five.

Technical Lead at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Reasonably priced, reliable, and easy to install
    • "It does an excellent job of load balancing."
    • "The increased security that we are considering is because of some of the things that the security team has brought to our attention. They have pointed out that we would most likely require a better web application firewall than Azure Application Gateway."

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft Azure Application Gateway for web applications and APIs.

What is most valuable?

So far, so good, but there are some capabilities we would like to investigate further, such as distributed denial of service (DDoS) and other similar features.

It does an excellent job of load balancing. The Application Gateway is performing load balancing, but we must decide whether to continue using the Gateway's firewall or to use another firewall. That's what we're looking at.

What needs improvement?

The increased security that we are considering is because of some of the things that the security team has brought to our attention. They have pointed out that we would most likely require a better web application firewall than Azure Application Gateway. That's the issue, that we are looking into.

I have been using Microsoft Azure Application Gateway for two years.

We are working with version two.

We have no issues with the stability of Microsoft Azure Application Gateway, so far it has been good.

Microsoft Azure Application Gateway is a scalable solution. We have not had any issues with scalability.

It's an external customer base.

The initial setup is straightforward. We do not have any issues with that, we are completely in control of Microsoft Azure Application Gateway.

We completed the deployment ourselves.

The cost is not an issue. It's not about finding a less expensive solution. It's about the additional costs we might incur if we with Cloudflare or another similar service provider.

We are not facing any additional costs. We must consider the additional costs that will be incurred if we choose a more advanced firewall.

I'm looking into web application firewalls and comparing Cloudflare with Azure's firewall. We are currently using Microsoft Azure Application Gateway and were considering the benefits and costs of upgrading to Cloudflare.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Microsoft Azure Application Gateway an eight out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
    Consultant Azure Cloud Infra & Apps at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Straightforward and stable with a valuable WAF feature
    • "WAF feature replicates the firewall."
    • "Scalability can be an issue."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for exposing services to the internet. We are Microsoft partners and I am the company's consultant for Azure Cloud Infra & Apps.

What is most valuable?

I think the WAF feature is valuable, it replicates your firewall. It's one of the features in the application gateway and that's in a layer 7-based firewall with layer 7-based features. We use this feature a lot in the application gateway.

What needs improvement?

Scalability can be a bit of an issue although it's better in v2. I'd also like to see increased flexibility. There are limits when you want to share an application gateway across multiple clusters. I know Microsoft is working on that, but we don't know when it will be finished and released to the public.

I've been using this solution for around seven years.

This is a stable product.

As mentioned, there are some issues with scalability which will hopefully be solved soon. We have many customers using this solution that have more than 100 application gateways.

Technical support is fine - we have a lot of interaction with Microsoft Corp in Seattle. We help improve their products by participating in a few programs and testing features to improve their functionality and reviewing the end product.

The initial setup was quite straightforward, deployment took a couple of hours. We're consultants so we do it ourselves.

Because of our partnership with Microsoft we have an input Microsoft first policy. If none of their solutions are applicable or available, then we look to another solution, but that is not the case here.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Microsoft Azure
    Download our free Application Delivery Controllers (ADC) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, F5, HAProxy, and more!
    Updated: June 2022