IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Micro Focus SiteScope OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Micro Focus SiteScope is #39 ranked solution in APM tools. PeerSpot users give Micro Focus SiteScope an average rating of 6 out of 10. Micro Focus SiteScope is most commonly compared to Dynatrace: Micro Focus SiteScope vs Dynatrace. Micro Focus SiteScope is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 73% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 34% of all views.

Download the Application Performance Management (APM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2022

What is Micro Focus SiteScope?

Micro Focus SiteScope is an agentless monitoring program that tracks the availability and performance of distributed IT infrastructures such as servers, network devices and services, applications and application components, virtualization software, operating systems, and other IT enterprise components.

Micro Focus SiteScope is an autonomous hybrid IT monitoring system that can monitor more than 100 different types of IT components in real time, thanks to a lightweight and highly customizable remote access architecture.

With Micro Focus SiteScope, IT teams can get the data they need to keep on top of problems and eliminate bottlenecks before they become major concerns.

Micro Focus SiteScope can reduce total cost of ownership (TCO) by utilizing agentless technology, which eliminates the need to install and monitor agents on each box. Manual activities can be automated, and teams can save time and effort by using pre-packaged solution templates.

Micro Focus SiteScope Features

Micro Focus SiteScope has many valuable key features. Some of the most useful ones include:

• Broad functionality built on expertise: Micro Focus SiteScope's architecture is scalable and supports a broad range of functions, including data collecting, alerting, event management, and reporting. Data is collected via remote access, which eliminates the need for agents to be deployed and maintained on monitored nodes. Micro Focus SiteScope connects to systems as a remote user via the central server, which supports JMX, SNMP, HTTP, SSH, NetBIOS, and WMI.
  • Monitors legacy and modern environments: Micro Focus SiteScope comes with more than 100 built-in monitors that track things like utilization, response time, use, and resource availability.

• Cloud: You can monitor virtual servers and applications on Amazon Web Services (AWS). AWS-hosted applications can provide data to Amazon CloudWatch, which can be used for auto-scaling, reporting, and alerting.

• Virtualization: Micro Focus SiteScope supports VMware, Microsoft, Citrix, and Oracle/Sun virtualization technologies. Monitor Docker clusters, nodes, containers, and workloads.
  • Flexibility with configuration: By adding or deleting specific monitors, you can adapt to dynamic changes in data center configuration.
  • Templates for solutions: The template database is based on best practices for monitoring complex application settings with the least amount of time and effort. The templates include built-in domain experience of specialized monitors, default metrics and thresholds, proactive testing, and best practices for a given application or monitoring component.
  • Notifications, alerts, and reports: Email, SNMP traps, HTTP post, and database alerts are all supported. Administrators receive alerts based on defined thresholds and schedules.
  • Flexibility in user management: Using LDAP or an internal management solution, define group-level permissions, construct user roles, and assign security groups depending on role. Extensive WS (Web Service)-based API that automates numerous management situations without the need for the SiteScope UI.
  • Integrations with SiteScope: Micro Focus SiteScope not only offers a number of benefits on its own, but it can also be linked with a number of Micro Focus and third-party solutions, giving teams the ability to properly integrate their IT operations center.

Micro Focus SiteScope was previously known as HPE SiteScope, SiteScope.

Micro Focus SiteScope Customers

Vodafone Ireland, Kuveyt Turk Participation Bank

Micro Focus SiteScope Video

Micro Focus SiteScope Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Micro Focus SiteScope pricing:
"When Micro Focus Voltage SiteScope has introduced approximately eight years ago and there was not very much competition making the price high. However, when comparing the price of Micro Focus Voltage SiteScope now to other tools, they should reduce the price. It is similar to a legacy tool at this point."

Micro Focus SiteScope Reviews

David Collier - PeerSpot reviewer
Co-Founder at Nobius IT
Reseller
Offers agentless monitoring, is easy to configure and reduces downtime
  • "VM monitoring is pretty good showing good visualizations of how VMs are operating within the context of all the VMs running on the same hypervisor."
  • "The lack of an agent means that remote monitoring requires multiple firewall ports to be opened."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for agentless monitoring of network and systems infrastructure including Linux and Windows, multiple versions, and multiple "flavors". The primary use case is for meeting the needs of basic level monitoring of multiple devices across a single-site network.  When accompanied by APM tools from the Micro Focus stable, Sitescope provides a useful "bottom-up" (technology --> Application) view of performance and availability. Other APM tools provide a "top-down" (i.e. a user-centric view) of performance and availability.

How has it helped my organization?

Sitescope is a very useful solution for agentless monitoring. I must emphasize 'agentless' as this is its biggest advantage as well as disadvantage. Sitescope makes it easy to monitor key aspects of performance, availability, and capacity by collecting metrics. The aim of Sitescope is to help reduce downtime and provide information to help maintain performance. It does this reasonably well. Sitescope though is better thought of as a component within a wider Micro Focus-based ITOM/AIOPS solution rather than as a solution in itself.

What is most valuable?

VM monitoring is pretty good showing good visualizations of how VMs are operating within the context of all the VMs running on the same hypervisor. The ease of configuration is an advantage as Sitescope simply requires entering a host's credentials and a connection protocol (e.g. SSH, FTP, script, WMI, etc) in order to begin collecting and graphing raw data. Alerting is basic but functional as a standalone product but provides an additional dimension when used alongside Operations Bridge (which is expensive).

What needs improvement?

Most modern-day solutions in this area include both agentless and agent-based monitoring in the same package. The lack of an agent makes for a simple installation and relatively simple configuration, however, in these days of highly-distributed computing resources Sitescope is missing a number of critical features. 1. The lack of an agent means that remote monitoring requires multiple firewall ports to be opened. This is often a problem when connecting multiple sites. It also makes cloud implementations less attractive too. 2. As data must be "pulled" from the system being monitored, there is a reliance on a performant network and a well-specified Sitescope server. Sitescope scores well for basic simplicity and it integrates well into other products within the Micro Focus software family - e.g. Operations Bridge.
Application Performance Management (APM)
May 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, Dynatrace, AppDynamics and others in Application Performance Management (APM). Updated: May 2022.
606,596 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've used the solution for five to ten years.

If you already have other Micro Focus products, especially the testing tools, then you may already have licenses for Sitescope. Licensing is (typically for Micro Focus) very complex, so speak to your account manager to check. The setup cost is minimal if you already have the hardware and that's reflected in the functionality. There are some great pre-packaged monitoring templates known as "solution templates". These are excellent kickstart ways to accelerate implementation - however, be aware that some of them are licensed separately. If you're considering Sitescope as your sole or primary monitoring tool, I suggest you take a look around - there are better options for you.

What other advice do I have?

Sitescope has been around for many years - since 1996 in fact. Over the years, it has become a highly stable solution. Now though, as Micro Focus now owns HPE Software (who in turn bought Mercury Interactive from where Sitescope came), Sitescope is but a small cog in a very large AIOPS engine.
Head - Development P-A-S Assurance Practice at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good infrastructure monitoring features and support, but the documentation could be improved
  • "Infrastructure monitoring is the most valuable feature."
  • "I would be very interested in having transaction traceability included in the product, to give us a better view of what is really going wrong in a particular method and action."

What is our primary use case?

Our organization is focused on performance testing and we use a variety of tools for this purpose, both open-source and enterprise. We are consultants and we use these tools for our customers.

This solution is being used for infrastructure monitoring. It lets us know what might be going wrong when we subject the application to a higher load. It gives us a fair view.

It is a dockerized application where we use SiteScope to give the application performance management.

What is most valuable?

Infrastructure monitoring is the most valuable feature. There may be other features but we are focused on the performance testing execution that happens.

What needs improvement?

The setup should be simplified.

It would be helpful to have documentation on how to use this tool correctly from the beginning.

I would be very interested in having transaction traceability included in the product, to give us a better view of what is really going wrong in a particular method and action.

This would essentially mean that the tool comes packaged with complete EPM capabilities. You would not have to purchase any other product such as Dynatrace, App Dynamics, or New Relic.

If some of those capabilities could be integrated into SiteScope, it would have a very compelling value proposition.

I have been using Micro Focus Voltage SiteScope for approximately two years and we are using the latest version.

It's a stable solution. I don't have any issues with the stability of it.

Scalability is good.

We had a ticket open with Micro Focus who helped us through the entire journey, but we could use more documentation on using this tool.

They have been very accommodating to our requests.

We use a variety of tools and the choice of which to use depends on what our customer requires. If they are looking for a mature tool that fits their budget, we choose products by Micro Focus.

We have also used Gatling, JMeter, Tsung, and Neotys for the performance testing.

The installation was a bit of a challenge. It took us almost two weeks to get it up and running.

The pricing is the biggest challenge that we face.

There are open-source tools that do 90% of what LoadRunner and Micro Focus tools are able to do.

What other advice do I have?

We work on multiple models such as on-premises, and multiple deployments for our customers. More insight that could be shared would be very helpful.

We have a great partnership with Micro Focus.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Application Performance Management (APM)
May 2022
606,596 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Enterprise Monitoring | Information Services at a healthcare company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Lacking feature, high price, but simple implementation

What needs improvement?

Micro Focus Voltage SiteScope could improve by adding more features, such as cloud, APM, and DevOps monitoring.

I have used Micro Focus Voltage SiteScope within the last 12 months.

The stability of the Micro Focus Voltage SiteScope is good.

Micro Focus Voltage SiteScope is a scalable solution.

We have approximately 35 people using it.

The initial implementation of Micro Focus Voltage SiteScope is easy. The process can take approximately 30 minutes with one person.

I have found the solution simple to maintain, it can be done with some person.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Micro Focus Voltage SiteScope five out of ten.

Download our free Application Performance Management (APM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, Dynatrace, AppDynamics, and more!
Updated: May 2022