IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Informatica Enterprise Data Catalog OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Informatica Enterprise Data Catalog is #3 ranked solution in top Metadata Management tools. PeerSpot users give Informatica Enterprise Data Catalog an average rating of 8 out of 10. Informatica Enterprise Data Catalog is most commonly compared to AWS Glue: Informatica Enterprise Data Catalog vs AWS Glue. Informatica Enterprise Data Catalog is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 75% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 28% of all views.

Download the Metadata Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Informatica Enterprise Data Catalog?

Informatica Enterprise Information Catalog provides a machine-learning-based discovery engine to collect data assets across the enterprise while increasing the understanding of those data assets through a graph-based enterprise information catalog. Powered by Informatica’s unique metadata services engine, Enterprise Information Catalog enables business analysts and data stewards to find all types of data across the enterprise; discover relationships among them; enrich data with business glossary terms and crowdsourced annotations; and understand the provenance, quality, and usage of their data.

Informatica Enterprise Data Catalog was previously known as Informatica EDC, Informatica Enterprise Information Catalog, Enterprise Information Catalog.

Informatica Enterprise Data Catalog Customers

AIA Singapore, Mattel

Informatica Enterprise Data Catalog Video

Archived Informatica Enterprise Data Catalog Reviews (more than two years old)

Head of Big Data and BI Development at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Difficult initial setup and needs better support for data discovery but has an excellent data profiler
  • "The way that the solution scans is very useful."
  • "They have to improve their relationship discovery tool. They say that they have AI inside, but this AI did not automatically find relationships or suggested relationships between entities."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily used the solution because we wanted to be aware of metadata management solutions for our Data Lake, in order to manage the assets in the Data Lake and also to manage the ETL or the data ingestion into the Data Lake.

What is most valuable?

The solution has an excellent data profiler. The way that the solution scans is very useful.  The discovery worked well for the AS400, which is a very old database.

What needs improvement?

It is not the best solution on the market.  They don't have a good solution for SSIS scanning, and we don't have the good solution for Microsoft OLAP and Microsoft Tabular.  Another thing that can be improved is their ability to add custom screens or custom views and manage the custom server and customs views. Currently, it is pretty closed. You cannot add columns to the views, which makes the views very narrow. In order to see data, you have to do a lot of clicks just to get to a particular field. They have to improve their relationship discovery tool. They say that they have AI inside, but this AI did not automatically find relationships or suggested relationships between entities. The solution needs better support for data discovery or scans.

I've been using the solution for almost two years.
Metadata Management
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Informatica, Collibra, Alation and others in Metadata Management. Updated: June 2022.
610,812 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution isn't too stable. If it crashes, it takes time to boot it back up. It's not as stable as you would expect it to be for this type of solution, which is concerning.

We have five people using the solution as of right now. Potentially, it is scalable, but is not automatically scalable. If you needed to scale it out, then you would have to add some more nodes in order to be able to support the scalability. As long as you are in the boundaries of your initial setup, then it won't scale. However, if you are exceeding that, then you have to increase memory and data store and maybe even some machines to your cluster in order to support the scalability.

Technical support could be improved. From an implementation standpoint, their "customer success" team proved to be unhelpful and did not make what turned out to be a complex set up any easier.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup was very, very complex. It took us a few months to complete the entire set up. There were a lot of bugs during installation. Also, when we wanted to upgrade from, I believe it was a 10.2.1 to 10.2.2, our production environment was down for a few weeks just because of the update. It was not a straightforward experience. We had a very complicated environment, so when we worked on this, we also implemented the SDK or the API mechanism that came with the suite. Therefore, there were four people working on the setup for this environment. We also had support from the local integrator and we had a lot of support from some specialists from India.

We had an integrator and some specialists from India assist us in the implementation. Most of the work we did by ourselves, but we wanted some help from a local integrator. They had a process that they called "customer success". We had a weekly call with them, with the customer success team. The customer success representative brought in the product team for discussions, but it didn't really help us, to be honest. It requires between one and two people to handle maintenance on the solution currently.

We ran a proof of concept or a full selection process and we compared it with some other tools. We selected this tool because it had better support for AS400, which was our main source.

What other advice do I have?

We decided to stop the project because it was too much effort and we couldn't benefit from the solution. We saw that it required a lot of effort just to make it work, so we decided to stop the implementation. We stopped using the solution about two months ago. If other companies attempt to implement this solution, I would suggest that they try to stick to the features which are there and don't try to extend it because it is not that extendable. In our case, we needed to get a better contract with the local integrator and make sure that they got paid only upon successful completion of the project. Instead, we paid upfront. I'd advise other companies not to make that same mistake.  I'd rate the solution five out of ten.

Interior Designer at a construction company
Many dark data silos were identified and many hidden assets were uncovered

What is our primary use case?

We used Informatica Enterprise Information Catalog to find hidden data assets in our organization. We have data spread across disparate systems like Oracle, SQL Server, Teradata, Redshift, mainframes, etc. Informatica EIC has connectivity to a surprising number of systems and we use this to our advantage creating connections to most of our data sources. We used a 40 node hortonworks cluster and ran the scanners to crawl through our data swamp. It has ran for three days now and we have a fair understanding of our data sources.

What is most valuable?

• Lineage
  • Provenance
  • Flow of data through various sources
  • Data domain discovery to find out sensitive data.

One thing we find very useful is a feature which lets us know who are the stakeholders of a particular data source, and if you are making any changes to a source, then which users must be informed prior.

How has it helped my organization?

Many dark data silos were identified and many hidden assets were uncovered. It helped IT in initial data integration efforts. We were creating data lake-based on MapR Converged Data Platform EIC, which helped us in initial prep.

What needs improvement?

Speed. The solution is bit slow.

Six to seven months as of October 2017.

Yes. Installation of the product is bit challenging. It is not straightforward and requires many configurations.

A few bugs here and there.

Technical support and Informatica Professional Services are friendly and helpful. They helped us iron out the installation issues and provided training for our team on how to use the product.

We used to use Metadata Manager from Informatica, Ab Initio, and Ataccama Data Quality Analyzer. It was a custom made solution based on integration of the above mentioned products. It was difficult to maintain, scale, and required cross team collaboration, which kind of slowed done our pace of operations. Our team does not specialize in Software and IT functionality. EIC provided a one stop solution instead of a lego bricks like solution.

It was kind of complex. It required many prerequisites and required a team of professionals well-versed in Linux and big data technologies.

We implemented it in collaboration between our in-house IT folks and Informatica Professional Services. Informatica sent a team of subject matter experts, who had considerable amount of understanding about the project and the big data ecosystem.

We are yet to recover the full cost of the product, but it seems good thus far.

Licensing is simple, but cost is bit steep.

No. We are not aware of any other product that solves this problem.

What other advice do I have?

The product requires more polishing and hardening. It might take few more releases until the full power and capabilities of this product are unleashed.

Download our free Metadata Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Informatica, Collibra, Alation, and more!
Updated: June 2022