Informatica Data Quality OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Informatica Data Quality is the #3 ranked solution in top Data Quality tools. PeerSpot users give Informatica Data Quality an average rating of 7.2 out of 10. Informatica Data Quality is most commonly compared to Informatica Cloud Data Quality: Informatica Data Quality vs Informatica Cloud Data Quality. Informatica Data Quality is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 74% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 22% of all views.

Download the Data Quality Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Informatica Data Quality?

Deliver high-quality clean and trusted data with an enterprise class data quality and governance solution that scales, regardless of size or format or data, platform, or technology.

Informatica Data Quality Customers

Condé Nast, Tani, U.S. Xpress Enterprise

Informatica Data Quality Video

Informatica Data Quality Reviews

Informatica Developer at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
One of the leading ETLs with good in-built functionalities and helpful support
  • "The solution is stable."
  • "Managing the licenses with the on-premises version was difficult."

What is our primary use case?

We don't use profiling as much, however, we do use it, in certain cases, for profiling. We use the Analyst tool to do out-of-box, high-level profiling of data to see high-level quality of completeness, and uniqueness, et cetera. Mainly, we use the Developer tool to connect to the sources and to write data quality rules.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our organization.

We started from just pretty much having flat files, and then doing some basic transformations, then writing back to Excel or QFD files.

We gradually moved to more analytical tasks. You don't just do statistical data quality you also do analytical. You do lots of joins with other sources and do the consistency checks, and to do more complex logic, and build metrics.

We use Tableau on the back of it to present the data and data quality, and then monitor it. We use it more like a batch process to build pipelines, and then, using Tableau, monitor the results of it and those metrics. Now, we work more with live updates and do that more than the batch.

What is most valuable?

It's probably one of the leading lights in ETL. They have really good built-in functionalities, or algorithms, that you can use to transform or process data and validate and standardize.

The solution is stable.

It's not too had to set up the cloud version.

Support is helpful and responsive.

What needs improvement?

We are in this transition mode, where we haven't yet got IDMC, the cloud version, so we don't actually have hands-on experience and have not actually seen the features. All we rely on, at the moment, is just the available documentation. What I don't like on the IDQ side is just the fact that in the on-premises version, you have all these applications, with separate configurations. In the cloud solution, it is fixed so that you have everything on one platform.

The performance isn't as good on-premises. For example, when you install clients, it's slow compared to the cloud. Still, we need to see. We haven't experienced it ourselves.

The upgrades are a downside. On-premises you manage all the changes in the software. You have to do that yourself, and if there's some problem with compatibility, it makes things that much harder. With the cloud, everything is managed by Informatica on the servers.

Managing the licenses with the on-premises version was difficult. However, with the cloud, it will be much simpler.

November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Informatica, Trillium, Oracle and others in Data Quality. Updated: November 2022.
657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using the solution for the last six or seven years.

Once you set everything up, it is pretty stable. It's reliable. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze. It is way more stable than Hadoop and other applications.

In terms of scaling, we used the clusters, and the processing was on Hadoop side. If we needed any extra space or any service, it was just managed there, so it was outside of Informatica.

Originally, we had 20 people using the solution, and then it was reduced to less than ten.

We do use it as much as we can for its purposes. In the past, we used that for the whole ETL process with data loads, and then we moved to Hadoop storage. At the moment, we are only going to be using Cloud Data Quality and others for cleansing, standardization, and deduplication, and then using some other Azure capabilities.

I've dealt with support in the past. There were issues, and we had to deal directly with Informatica for some hotfixes. They were good. They just got straight to the point and were helpful overall.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

It is way more complex to install on-premises than in the cloud.

With the cloud, the installation will be way easier since you only install these secure agents. They have many different connectors, so it is definitely less hustle to install all these machines, and all these applications. On-premises, it was more user-based. Now, it's service-based, and you just pay for what you use and the licenses as well.

We had myself, an architect, and a developer as well as help from Informatica while handling the setup.

We have about two or three people that can deploy and maintain the solution. They also cover other applications, not just Informatica.

We had Informatica support, and we had an internal group of people with Informatica knowledge who handled the solution. For some parts, we were involved as well, and we handled them ourselves.

We're still in the early stages of moving toward the cloud. We have not seen an ROI yet.

When you are using the on-premises version, managing the licenses is quite difficult. However, on the cloud, you just pay for what you use, and it's a lot easier. With the cloud, if you want MDM, you pay for it, and if you want PowerCenter, you pay for it; however, if you don't want it or don't use it, you don't pay. We'll just pay for Data Quality, as it has all of the features we need inside it.

I'm not involved in the conversations around licensing and agreements. That said, my understanding is that Informatica is pretty expensive. I'd likely rate it two to two and a half out of five in terms of affordability.

We definitely considered others and had StreamSets used for some other purposes. The company that I moved out of was going to be switching off Informatica at some point due to licensing, et cetera, and they just chose to go to StreamSets with Snowflake for storage.

I haven't researched enough about other products in relation to Informatica.

What other advice do I have?

We are moving to the cloud version. On-premises, we were on version 10.4.2, and that moved to 10.5. Soon, we will be on the cloud.

We're using IDMC, which is not just Data Quality. It has governance, Axon, and other applications in it.

We're just a customer.

I'd advise people to research use cases before beginning. Companies need to understand what they are trying to achieve, figure out their requirements, and then appraise the solution.

While Informatica is good in terms of Data Quality and is probably the leading option, you need to be clear about budget, et cetera.

I would rate the solution seven out of ten.

Principal Applications System Analyst at a university with 10,001+ employees
Quick on profiling and scales very well, but needs better UI and more reporting capabilities
  • "There are a couple of valuable features. One is that it is very quick on the profiling. So, you get a very fast snapshot of the type of data that you're looking at from the profiling perspective. It can highlight anomalies in the data."
  • "Their UI needs improvement. Their scorecards and reporting also need improvement. Their data quality reporting, especially their dashboards and scorecards, is lackluster at best. Its reporting capabilities are limited. If you want to do anything beyond its limited reporting capabilities, then you're going to have to use an external reporting tool such as Power BI or something like that."

What is our primary use case?

A lot of times, we use it for basic profiling. That's its most common use case. Currently, we are also in the process of establishing a set of ongoing processes around Data Quality that would feed into and augment our current metadata. So, from that standpoint, our usage is primarily around some of the basic dimensions of data quality, such as completeness, conformity, consistency, timeliness, accuracy, etc. We measure each of those or at least create quality rules that measure each of those aspects. We're in the process of doing this for all of the data that's currently feeding into our analytics engine. These are some use cases that we're currently doing on a daily basis.

What is most valuable?

The other valuable feature of the Data Quality tool is the flexibility of using their Analyst tool to create a mapping specification, which allows you to join multiple sources of information. You can then create rules within that data set. You can apply aggregations and all other types of functions, and then you can feed that into the profiling tool. From the profiling tool, you can then create your scorecards. It can be two-step where you're using that mapping engine to integrate multiple sources. If you don't have a need for that, you can do a lot more sophisticated mappings inside their Developer tool, and then maybe do an analyst type of mapping engine. So, you can do straightforward data quality within the Analyst tool, or you can do more sophisticated data quality within the Developer tool, at least as far as the rules are concerned.

What needs improvement?

Their UI needs improvement. Their scorecards and reporting also need improvement. Their data quality reporting, especially their dashboards and scorecards, is lackluster at best. Its reporting capabilities are limited. If you want to do anything beyond its limited reporting capabilities, then you're going to have to use an external reporting tool such as Power BI or something like that.

It has a few glitches that they haven't fixed. For example, while creating a new scorecard, when you get up to a point, you have to stop and save what you've done. You have to exit and then go back into the tool to finish up your work. From the development aspect, using their scorecard tool has a couple of glitches in it. This might be a tool that they're going to eventually phase out. So, they're just not doing a lot of work on it. I've been living with it for a few years now. I've learned that I got to save my work, and then I got to get back into it to finish up what I was doing.

I have been using this solution for at least five years.

It is pretty stable.

As far as I know, it scales pretty well. The part of the problem that we have is with the way it saves the results. When it saves the result, it creates a physical copy of some of the data results and stores it. So, when we're processing, for example, 500 million rows of data, depending on the type of rules that we have and how we're doing it, it can quickly use up a lot of space. We've had some issues with some of the space and storage. It scales, but you still have to be careful how you configure it so that you don't use up all your resources. We've added a lot of disk space, and we still occasionally have problems.

Currently, we have maybe half a dozen heavy users, but we're probably going to scale that up to 20 to 25.

It is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a six out of ten.

November 2022
657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Angel Pineda - PeerSpot reviewer
Data Architect at CEMEX
We've achieved high data quality but lacking a platform as a service

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this product is for data management relating to customers and contact information. It's a global resource, we ensure the quality of our customer information and primary attributes. I'm a principal data architect and we are customers of Informatica.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has improved our organization by providing data quality.

What is most valuable?

The evaluation service is a valuable feature of this product.

What needs improvement?

Because we are moving everything to cloud and our platform is in Azure, it has an infrastructure as a service. I'd like to see a platform as a service, to avoid having to take care of the payments as an upgrade for the platform. I'd like to have email as a service, it would allow us more flexibility. But we already know that Informatica have a cloud integration service but it's not mature enough to do what's required. The service model can also be improved.

I've been using this solution for seven years.

The solution is not as stable as we'd like. We need to do a lot of work on the operational side because it crashes frequently, at least once a week.

Scalability is not a problem. You can't count the number of users because it's a platform that has an operational model in which we move the data. We have the data and we clean the data, but users don't have direct contact.

The technical support is very good.

Initial setup is not complex, it takes about a week to install. We have very good consultants that carried out the deployment for us so although licensing is tricky, the development and the installation is okay.

I believe licensing is around $700,000 annually and we pay around $300,000 for support. The licensing is tricky because sometimes we need to pay for additional connectors and those are hidden costs for us.

We evaluated SAP Master Data Governance. We noticed that more people use Informatica and because it's the most widely used platform we went with it because we knew we'd be able to get access to consultants.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

Microsoft Azure
Senior Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Delivers enterprise-strength data quality for a wide range of scenarios
  • "Seeing the data in the mapping itself is really nice."
  • "Although we are very satisfied with the design of the UI, executing tasks with it can be difficult."

What is our primary use case?

We use Data Quality for healthcare projects, and although it's not its prime purpose, we also use it to extract data. Compared to PowerCenter, it's a little easier to use — we designed the mapping ourselves. In short, we use Data Quality primarily for extraction purposes.

Within our organization, there are 10 employees using this solution.

What is most valuable?

Seeing the data in the mapping itself is really nice. We don't want to extract the data and just see the flat file. With Data Quality, we can see the data very easily.

What needs improvement?

When running a workload, we can only use the command mode. We were expecting Data Quality to offer the same type of workflow as PowerCenter.

Although we are very satisfied with the design of the UI, executing tasks with it can be difficult.

We have been using Informatica Data Quality for three years.

Overall, stability-wise, it's quite good; however, we think PowerCenter is more stable.

Compared to PowerCenter, Data Quality needs some improvement. When we are dealing with large amounts of data for extraction purposes, it doesn't always work out — often we experience some memory issues here and there. Scalability-wise it needs some improvement.

Although the technical support is responsive, they often take a very long time to solve our issues. They are quick to solve second and third-level requests, but when it comes to first-level requests, their solutions become very vague and general and often don't bear any fruit — otherwise, they're good.

Deployment was quite straightforward.

We have a long-term license. I can't really speak about the licensing as I don't know much about it.

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend this solution to others. If you can afford it, then go for it. If it's out of your price range, then I would recommend considering an open-source solution.

overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight.

Senior Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Stable, scalable, and useful for testing purposes, but needs better performance and more execution options
  • "It is very useful for testing purposes and designing mappings for small projects. If you go for IDQ in the mapping itself, you can see the data. You can then correct it, and test it so easily. It is working fine. It is also stable, scalable, and easy to deploy."
  • "It can be improved in terms of performance and execution. I'm expecting better performance. It currently has some restrictions in terms of execution. For example, if we want to run it in the command mode and execute it, there are some restrictions, and we are facing some issues with a huge volume of data. These restrictions are not there in Informatica PowerCenter because we are able to execute a huge volume of data, and there are more ways to execute it."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for extraction purposes for some of our projects. We extract and test the data.

What is most valuable?

It is very useful for testing purposes and designing mappings for small projects. If you go for IDQ in the mapping itself, you can see the data. You can then correct it, and test it so easily.

It is working fine. It is also stable, scalable, and easy to deploy.

What needs improvement?

It can be improved in terms of performance and execution. I'm expecting better performance. It currently has some restrictions in terms of execution. For example, if we want to run it in the command mode and execute it, there are some restrictions, and we are facing some issues with a huge volume of data. These restrictions are not there in Informatica PowerCenter because we are able to execute a huge volume of data, and there are more ways to execute it.

We have been using this solution for the past three or four years.

It is stable.

It is scalable. We have ten engineers who use it.

We are getting better support with PowerCenter. Informatica Data Quality was developed later, and its support is not up to that level, but it is fine.

We didn't use any other solution.

Its initial setup is straightforward. We just need to create data integration services. The deployment generally takes up to three hours, but it can take longer depending on the nodes.

I did it myself.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. We have a long term license, and we plan to keep using it.

I would rate Informatica Data Quality a seven out of ten.

Amit Bhartiya - PeerSpot reviewer
Technology Lead at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Excellent scalability, in a class of their own, with time tested features
  • "The most valuable features are data quality, data integrate transformations, match-merge, and a few MDM solutions we build into data quality transformation."
  • "One area that could use improvement is the speed of the web interfaces. At present, they are very slow. I think it is essential that we are original and robust on-premises."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are data quality, data integrate transformations, match-merge, and a few MDM solutions we build into data quality transformation.

What needs improvement?

I have worked with Informatica Data Quality for the past four and a half years.

You have excellent stability in the market in comparison to other data solutions.

We find that scalability is not an issue and have installed it on fourteen servers.

I have a lot of issues with their customer support and not getting the required technical information, which we actually need unless you can do a call with their senior technicians. Most of the cases that you raise are assigned to a junior technician.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial setup is simple for a person who knows the company. If you already have one of their products you will find yourself comfortable doing the deployment. If you do not have experience with the company it is medium in relationship to complexity.

What other advice do I have?

I would continue to encourage the upgrades that are taking place every other one in order to release the new and relevant features. I would rate Informatica Data Quality an eight out of ten.

AmanyEldaly - PeerSpot reviewer
Data Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Flexible user interface, good visibility of data, good support

What is our primary use case?

I starting with the design and discovery phase to detect data issues by using the profiling service, then started to analyze the data to determine and fix issues with it.

How has it helped my organization?

This product really improves my organization and fits all of the needed requirements for working with cleansed data. This helps to prevent issues from appearing in the business layer.

What is most valuable?

The user interface is flexible and the visibility of the data flow is amazing. You can see your data throughout the flow and then you can determine where issues are before fixing them.

What needs improvement?

The tool's performance is an area that should be given further consideration.

I have been using Informatica Data Quality for more than one year.

This is a stable product.

The solution is scalable.

Technical support has been very helpful. Whenever we have a problem, they are able to solve it.

I have experience with a similar solution by IBM.

Informatica platform installation is straightforward. As long as the prerequisites check is done successfully, it will be very easy to do.

IBM
Download our free Data Quality Report and find out what your peers are saying about Informatica, Trillium, Oracle, and more!
Updated: November 2022