Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

IBM Workload Automation OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Workload Automation is #8 ranked solution in top Workload Automation tools. PeerSpot users give IBM Workload Automation an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. IBM Workload Automation is most commonly compared to Control-M: IBM Workload Automation vs Control-M. IBM Workload Automation is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 82% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a financial services firm, accounting for 28% of all views.

Download the Workload Automation Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is IBM Workload Automation?
IBM Workload Automation is a complete solution for batch and real-time workload management, available for distributed mainframe or hosted in the cloud. Use it to drive business and IT workloads on hosted servers, with virtually no cost of ownership for your central server. Increase your productivity with powerful plan- and event-driven scheduling, and run and monitor your workloads wherever you are. This includes interfaces dedicated to application developers and operators, providing them both autonomy and precise governance.

IBM Workload Automation was previously known as IBM Tivoli Workload Scheduler, IBM TWS.

IBM Workload Automation Customers
Standard Life Group, Banca Popolare di Milano, A*STAR, ArcelorMittal Gent
IBM Workload Automation Video

IBM Workload Automation Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM Workload Automation pricing:
  • "The contract is with the customer with whom we are working, so IBM is not directly involved in this."
  • "We transitioned from a server license to per job license, and that saved us a lot money."
  • "It is about one-third of the cost of a controller."
  • IBM Workload Automation Reviews

Manager- Projects at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
    A stable solution
    • "The project we worked on involved the running of nearly 24,000 job instances in a single day, so I would say that the solution is stable."
    • "The performance of the previous versions could be better."

What is our primary use case?

The solution comes with a scheduler. It contains a file for receiving things from external sources. We trigger the file, on which basis the subsequent business practices are kicked off, one after the next. This means that there is dependency on the file dependency. The subsequent steps in the business practices kick off, automatically, once the file is loaded.

What needs improvement?

The performance of the previous versions could be better. We encountered certain issues with the lower version of it, the 9.2. Things have greatly stabilized since then. However, as with any IBM tool, things are a bit tricky. I would give a rating of four or five out of ten, as we encountered certain issues with the domain controller with the lower versions.

It would be nice if we could get support for earlier versions. Generally speaking, IBM insists that we move on to their latest one.

In respect of the dependency diagrams, the job dependencies across the business process should be improved.

I have been using IBM Workload Automation for three or four years.

The project we worked on involved the running of nearly 24,000 job instances in a single day, so I would say that the solution is stable.

September 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, BMC, Broadcom and others in Workload Automation. Updated: September 2022.
    632,539 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We do not have plans to increase the number of users of the solution.

We regularly reach out to technical support when dealing with issues that are beyond our control.

We did not use a different solution prior to IBM Workload Automation.

While the installation is fine, it requires the involvement of an IBM engineer. The solution is easier to install for those who are well versed in the IBM world, but this is a bit difficult for someone who has a background in application development. The process is easier for someone who has experience working with IBM tools.

One can handle the installation on his own.

Including management, fewer than seven people are needed for the deployment and maintenance. This will always involve an administrator. There will also be a program manager involved, the rest of the team consisting of developers.

What other advice do I have?

There are approximately 50-plus users making use of the solution in our organization.

My advice is that the implementation be handled by someone with the requisite knowledge. This will be difficult for someone who is not properly acquainted with IBM products. It should be done by someone who knows the IBM environment, who would find the process much easier to handle.

I rate IBM Workload Automation as an eight out of ten.

Systems Engineer Lead at a real estate/law firm with 10,001+ employees
    Automation tool that is user friendly and makes improvements based on customer feedback
    • "This solution has a request feature where users can request the added features they need to have developed. Based on client voting for those features, these are developed and released."
    • "This solution does have bugs and could be improved in this regard. However, these bugs are resolved relatively quickly."

What is our primary use case?

As a business we are slowly transitioning from legacy type apps and scripts jobs to web running jobs, via web services. IBM Workload Automation has supported us in making this transition.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

We have used this solution for more than 10 years.

This is a stable solution.

This is a scalable solution and they have documentation on how to scale the product. We're running thousands of jobs per day across many agents in the cloud, as well as in the data center.

I highly advise anyone that's using the product to ask about the lab advocacy program that IBM has. They're on the developer side to support customers. If you are delving deep into the core code of what they can do, having a lab advocate is very helpful in helping you go down that path.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

It seemed complex so we worked with a vendor called Sirius, and they helped us with the setup. Once they walked us through the process, it was fairly simple.

We have experience using Contol-M and Robot but preferred Workload Automation because it is easy to use. We have requested certain features that have later been developed and released. One of these features was the ability to manage version control.

What other advice do I have?

IBM provides methods where you can test the product before purchasing it, either in the cloud or on site. They're willing to come out and set up a demo for you. This is a good way to be able to test something before you make a decision.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
    September 2022
    632,539 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Anthony Heilbronn - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Specialist TWS at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Extremely scalable, very stable, and good for batch automation, but needs custom Java API documentation and more training

What is most valuable?

The whole product is valuable because it is a tool for batch automation.

What needs improvement?

There should be more custom documentation, specifically around Java APIs. There should also be more training.

In terms of features, we are currently using only 50% of its features. We don't use all features that are available, but there is always room for improvement in all of the tools.

I have been using this solution for 15 years.

It is very stable.

It is extremely scalable. We run more than 80,000 jobs a day across multiple platforms.

Their technical support is fine. We have a contract with them to assist us.

It is simple to install.

It is about one-third of the cost of a controller.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate IBM Workload Automation a seven out of ten.

Enterprise Technical Leader at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Simple setup and impressive technical support

I  used IBM Workload Automation within the past 12 months

The support from Cisco is very good. I was with them as a company for 40 years.

The configuration of IBM Workload Automation has some challenges. We have a difficult time customizing it, but it is similar to other solutions. However, it is easy to set up.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to push their marketing representatives to give a simplified licensing solution, or if you outsource, to an IT vendor, have them deal with the complexities of the process.

I rate IBM Workload Automation an eight out of ten.

Download our free Workload Automation Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, BMC, Broadcom, and more!
    Updated: September 2022