IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

IBM Tivoli NetCool OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Tivoli NetCool is #9 ranked solution in top Network Management Applications. PeerSpot users give IBM Tivoli NetCool an average rating of 7.6 out of 10. IBM Tivoli NetCool is most commonly compared to SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager: IBM Tivoli NetCool vs SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager. IBM Tivoli NetCool is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 73% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 28% of all views.

Download the Network Management Applications Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is IBM Tivoli NetCool?
IBM Tivoli Netcool delivers near real-time, consolidated event management across business infrastructure, data centers, complex networks and IT domains. The software provides full management and automation to help you deliver continuous uptime of business services and applications.

IBM Tivoli NetCool was previously known as Tivoli NetCool.

IBM Tivoli NetCool Customers
Claranet, Consolidated Communications, Telus, €sterreichische Bundesbahnen (€BB), Telekom Srbija, Bendigo Community Telco, Capgemini, Schweizerische Bundesbahnen (SBB)
IBM Tivoli NetCool Video

Archived IBM Tivoli NetCool Reviews (more than two years old)

Senior Baseband & RF Engineer at a comms service provider with 201-500 employees
Robust with good integration capabilities and excellent stability
  • "Anything is possible with Tivoli. It's quite a robust system."
  • "The solution is not user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use cases for the solution are confidential. However, generally, we use it to monitor all the IT elements in our network, plus some other ancillary services.

What is most valuable?

The solution is a complete package. It has various useful elements including inventory management and incident management packaged inside it.

Anything is possible with Tivoli. It's quite a robust system.

The solution offers a lot of useful integration capabilities.

What needs improvement?

The solution is not user-friendly.

The solution is a bit complex and it would help if it were simplified so that occasional users, such as myself, could manage it better.

As a person who's not well versed in Tivoli, I find handling integrations quite difficult.

I've been using the solution for five or six years. However, I only really manage it if someone from that department is going on vacation. I don't have much experience, but still, I can do some basic troubleshooting.

Network Management Applications
July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Micro Focus, Broadcom and others in Network Management Applications. Updated: July 2022.
622,358 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've found the solution to have a stability similar to SolarWinds. It may even be a bit more stable than that. It's quite good.

The scalability of the solution is impressive. It's far better than the competition.

We have less than ten admins that are on the solution currently.

I've never been in direct contact with technical support and therefore can't speak to how good they are.

I've used SolarWinds before. I found it easy to use and simple to troubleshoot. The front-end software was very straightforward.

The initial setup is a little complex. I wouldn't consider it straightforward.

I'm not sure how long deployment takes.

We have some Tivoli specialists that manage the Tivoli solution. My experience is on the Cisco networking side, and since I don't normally work with the solution, I'm not sure if I can provide too much detail on implementation.

What other advice do I have?

I'd advise companies that it's difficult to get a person that specializes in a bunch of different solutions and can really understand them fully. It's much better to be an expert on one solution than to try to be an expert on many. If a person wants to specialize in Tivoli then they should focus on just that one solution and know everything there is to know about it.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Director / Consultant at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Enables us to tailor the solution to the particular requirements of a customer
  • "The scalability of monitoring, the breadth of supported network components, the scale of the number of monitoring events, and the flexibility in customization make this a well-rounded product."
  • "Customization and integration that you need to do to make the product fit your needs is very complex. It is not a product that somebody could easily pick up without any prior training or experience."

What is our primary use case?

Tivoli Netcool is being used for monitoring network and data center IT infrastructure.

Currently, I am working on a contract for a customer with an on-premises solution using Netcool. I'm a contractor, so I work with various customers.

What is most valuable?

Some of the things that I think are most valuable in this solution are:

• The scalability in terms of the amount of monitoring it can handle.
  • The breadth in terms of the different applications, devices, protocols, et cetera, that it can monitor.
  • The scale, in terms of the number of monitoring events that it can handle.
  • The flexibility in terms of how you can tailor the solution to the particular requirements of the customer.

What needs improvement?

The Netcool family of products features a lot of components for which the integration between them requires a considerable amount of expertise and time. From a customer perspective, it is quite an expensive solution to initially implement and then support.

The product pricing itself is relatively competitive. It is more the skills that the user company needs to employ that run up the actual cost. In order to be able to implement it and maintain it properly, they need resources in terms of expertise, consultants, or very experienced permanent staff.

There are many capabilities included in the wider product set but it seems that not much has really been developed or enhanced recently. Something I would like to see, and that should be possible, is allowing an easy way to model business services and show the health of business services. Netcool is already very good at monitoring individual components to look at the performance and availability of components, but it is not very easy to model complex business services that have multiple relationships or dependencies.

We have been using the product for approximately 13 years now.

There are always bugs and there are many fix packs released for the various components. But in general terms, I would say it is a fairly stable product. Some of the newer features around analytics have proved to have many bugs, but these features have been improved over the last couple of years. The base functionality is generally very stable, indeed.

The product is easily scaled. In our current level of usage, we probably have anywhere up to 50 users in the system at any given time.

The users are predominantly either in a sort of IT service desk capacity or in a sort of IT administrator category. Roles can vary.

I have had experience contacting technical support for some issues. Once you get to level two and level three in IBM the support team, I find their level of expertise to be very good. Support can be problematic, though, if you find yourself predominantly dealing with the first level of technical support. It can take some time in order to get complex issues escalated. Once they are escalated, the issues are handled very well.

Within the environment where I am doing the deployment, I would not know if they had been using another solution. I believe the current customer has used solutions in the past, but it is not something that I would have ever touched. The reason for the switch is that the company determined they needed a different solution to meet their needs.

The basic installation is moderately complex, but all the further customization and integration that you need to do to make it fit your needs is very complex. It is not a product that somebody could easily pick up without any prior training or experience.

This product is better installed with the help of integrators or consultants.

I was brought in on this project for the implementation once the decision had already been made to adopt the Netcool solution. I am not aware of which products they chose to evaluate.

What other advice do I have?

My general advice to people considering or adopting this solution would be to ensure that the company defines and understands all of the requirements that are expected of the product at the outset before even choosing a solution. Without knowing what the actual requirements are, it may lead to choosing the wrong product. It is always best to start with considering the base functionality and then build up any customizations from there.

Also, always try to ensure that you make the minimum number of customizations required for the product to ensure that it is as easy to support in the future as possible. Customizations may not always be compatible with future upgrades.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Netcool from IBM as about a seven-and-a-half versus other competing software products. If I had to choose a round number, it would be an eight.

Network Management Applications
July 2022
622,358 professionals have used our research since 2012.
User with 51-200 employees
Powerful, feature rich, but clunky and requires a savvy administrator

Valuable Features:

Full featured - event/fault management, performance management, topology map, discovery, RCA, event enrichment, Proviso will chart data from almost any source with a variety of aggregation options. Very flexible and scalable.

Room for Improvement:

Web interface isn't on par with the rest of the major BSM suites. Some functions need to be accomplished by each module because they weren't designed as a system, they were integrated from components acquired. New features and upgrades come slowly and are usually delivered very late.

Other Advice:

This is another one of those suites glued together from a myriad of acquisitions and it shows once you get under the hood. Not my first choice.
Tech Support Staff at a tech company with 51-200 employees
Tivoli NetCool is network monitoring made easier.

Valuable Features:

NetCool automates methodologies that are of best practice, collection of contexts from data stores and tools that exist which are directed into incident tickets and events, and prioritizes events based on commitment of SLA and the highest cost of downtime. It also drives runbook operations automatically.Critical performance indicators are accessed in real time and corrective actions from incident views and events are launched and displayed.It improves customer satisfaction, deploy-ability, adaptability, flexibility, scalability, and reduces cost of operation.

Room for Improvement:

Due to its complexity, I had to learn every feature of NetCool so that I could configure it to achieve maximum productivity. Once I got the skills, it was very easy to use.It was a bit expensive to purchase but the benefits outweigh all the cons by far.

Other Advice:

IBM’s NetCool is a program used to automate, manage, and monitor networks in real time.False alarms, events that do not affect services, and maintenance events are suppressed, thereby reducing incident and event volumes drastically. It also reduces the volume by correlating several events into one. Escalation, notification, and resolution procedures are streamlined and effectiveness of staff as well as decision making processes are greatly improved. It is mainly used by service providers and has never let me down.