IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

IBM Blueworks Live OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Blueworks Live is #16 ranked solution in Business Process Design tools. PeerSpot users give IBM Blueworks Live an average rating of 8 out of 10. IBM Blueworks Live is most commonly compared to Visio: IBM Blueworks Live vs Visio. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 22% of all views.
What is IBM Blueworks Live?
IBM Blueworks Live is a cloud-based business process modeling tool that helps discover, map and document processes and accessible anywhere through a browser and that generates industry-standard BPMN 2.0 layouts, documentation and output. Tutorial videos guide you through creating and editing a simple process model, allowing you to learn and perform business process modeling in minutes.

IBM Blueworks Live was previously known as IBM Lombardi Blueprint.

Download the Business Process Design Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2022

IBM Blueworks Live Customers
Cloudsoft Corp. Ltd., Bayer, S¾SS, Essex County Council
IBM Blueworks Live Video

Archived IBM Blueworks Live Reviews (more than two years old)

Global Business Process Management Leader at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
A Simple and cost-effective tool with responsive technical support
  • "For me, what I find to be the most valuable is its simplicity and the association with Microsoft Office."
  • "It is BPMN-compliant but the tool needs to be more involved to get into a completely 2.0 oriented tool. It has a few things but it's not the complete BPMN model."

What is our primary use case?

We have procured several licenses to perform any process transformation engagements that aid in the normal business processes.

The most typical use cases are the automation of the uplink and process documentation is one of the activities. The focus is more on process architecture and internal architecture.

Those are the areas and engagements that are preferred.

We provide our licenses to our clients to document their processes and create certain analyses. It is done in their environment and then we transfer the workspace into their environment.

What is most valuable?

For me, what I find to be the most valuable is its simplicity and the association with Microsoft Office. Typically when we talk of process designing, visual comes to our mindset.

It's quick to learn. The learning curve is very condensed.

The cloud version is very handy, but a specific feature that I like the most is the visual import. 72% more can happen through visuals.

The quick transition from visual and the ability to show that onto a tool. We need a great import mechanism and with all of the tools that I have worked with, Blueworks is one of the best for importing the visual.

One of the other elements would be a quick design. We can create quickly and convert from one model into another model, such as from a discovery model into a process model, with just one click. It helps people like me when we are doing a ground paper approach and we are training the client and they are trying to document it. Now we can document it and show them the process benefits.

Currently, there is no other tool that is more cost-effective on the market.

What needs improvement?

The movement is similar to Aris, and Praga, it's very difficult for the users.

Because it is cloud there has to be a satellite, but when it comes to the process of implementing the world is leaning towards more complex documentation. With the building model, they want to see with the integrated workflow, and automation systems that can be managed and controlled. They have the automation machines but they need more attributes, controls, encryption, and more information because right now it's limited and needs to be improved.

Better integration with specific systems.

There is no BPMN documentation. Currently, they only have a tool offering of processing the BPMN Model. There are no choreographic models or they don't have models where multiple lanes or tools can be created.

You can't specify a notation that is not BPMN and I would like to be able to use multiple lanes.

It is BPMN-compliant but the tool needs to be more involved to get into a completely 2.0 oriented tool. It has a few things but it's not the complete BPMN model. Adding more BPMN modules to it is an important next step.

While it is scalable, I don't see it being equal with other enterprise solutions.

In the next release, what I would like to see added is more speed from an architecture perspective, adding more press information, such as controls, and adding KPIs for performance indicators. I would also like the ability to set that because the functionality is more important. A process is not seen in just the transformation of input, output, and scalability.

There is a model that changes the way the client use processes.

I have been using this solution for approximately two to four years.

This is more a question regarding your connectivity because it is on the cloud.

It's very stable. We have never experienced any issues.

If the connection is running slow, it depends on what the latency is. If it is hooked up into a high-speed network then it's very stable.

It is scalable within a scope.

It goes hand in hand with stability and keeping the tool light and you can keep adding elements. As you add more elements, it becomes a heavy toolset that takes up more on the cloud which will take longer to connect, experiencing latency.

We have contacted technical support and they are pretty good.

There are three levels required:

1. The response time.
  2. The ability to resolve the issue in a reasonable time.
  3. Guiding us to the right type of finish.

At all levels, they meet the requirements and are pretty good.

The initial setup was straightforward.

It's on the cloud, so as soon as we pay, it's setup. It's as simple as putting in the user ID and you have access.

We had help with the implementation. I was not satisfied; they had no certification and there was no formal training. There is no certification in the market, but we have an alliance with IBM that provides us with technical assistance.

The cost-effectiveness is very high.

They have a free subscription model that gives a lot of power to the users.

What other advice do I have?

It's on the cloud so it automatically gets upgraded to the latest version.

My advice to others always ask questions, which is what I always tell my clients. You should be very observant, especially of why you are looking for processing. If your requirements are completely different from what the tool has to offer, then it will not be a good match and you will be setting up a recipe for a disaster.

Look into IBM Blueworks. It is an active light tool and is it a proper architecture tool, which can do a lot of analysis. If you are looking for such a tool then this product is for you. It is cost-effective compared to any tool on the market.

StantonAttree - PeerSpot reviewer
Principal Business Process Architect at Met Office
Easy to use and improves process maturity, but the costs are too high for a small organisation
  • "It has a built-in capability to capture process owners and managers against processes along with other process governance roles."
  • "The user interface is quite easy at first but process analysts soon run into roadblocks of limited functionality, which is disappointing."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is process discovery and modeling prior to process deployment using the IBM Business Process Manager (BPMS) solution. It includes the capture and management of process governance roles against processes such as process owners. This was in a publicly funded emergency services organisation.

How has it helped my organization?

It raised the process maturity of the organisation from a low level to a reasonable degree of awareness and introduced some process language and conventions to the organisation. The SaaS solution was quick to set up and use.

The solution is quite easy and visual to use for stakeholder collaboration such as during workshops.

It did improve process maturity and floated the idea of the process governance roles but the organisation lost interest and found new tools (toys) to play with.

Along with the IBM BPM solution, the costs escalated too much and were unsustainable for a relatively small organisation.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the support for BPMN 2.0 because it is an industry standard.

Blueworks is easy to use.  If you want a very simple quick and easy solution for fairly simple workflows, this is a good choice.

I believe that the APQC cross-industry process hierarchy and some linear single role workflows can be imported.

It has a built-in capability to capture process owners and managers against processes along with other process governance roles. The 'milestone' models are quite good for discovering architecture and then moving into workflow modeling.

What needs improvement?

The models produced are not sufficient to be imported and used by IBM Business Process Manager - the developers will need to use the IBM BPM modelling functionality to design processes.

The user interface is quite easy at first but process analysts soon run into roadblocks of limited functionality, which is disappointing.  For example, anything but a fairly simple 'happy path' workflow soon becomes tangled with the process flow lines being routed automatically and looking messy and off-putting for stakeholders.  In the version I used (I'm not sure if this is different now), a modeller cannot move any of the model components and re-route the flows; this can be mitigate by using the 'milestone' functionality which enables you to 'stage' a workflow - but this has limited effectiveness and also has the side effect of introducing artificial stages into the 'milestone' view of the model.

The workflow management functionality is so basic it was almost pointless. I was looking for some functionality and realised there isn't any - it is just a list of tasks which get sent as emails to users.  Again, very simple 'happy path' workflow.  If that is all you need, then this produce is fine but there are other similarly-priced solutions that have more extensive user forms, document and email generation etc. that can be configured closer to a full SaaS application.

IBM had an alternative product that was more comprehensive in its functionality but this was discontinued.

I have used Blueworks Live for 24 months, with 12 months in each of two different organisations.

Very stable.

We had a few performance issues occasionally that frustrated the team.

Not too bad.

I've used this in two organisations between 2012 and 2017 - the functionality didn't seem to have changed much from my perception as an end user.

Very easy browser-based, cloud-hosted SaaS solution - the way most solutions are heading.

In the first instance, direct with IBM; in the second instance, via a reseller.

It's fairly cheap and scalable for simple process discovery applications.  It is easy to use.  There are more comprehensive solutions at a similar price.  Beware that there is a minimum contract period and some fixed annual costs.  With a larger number of users, it would like make sense to switch to a proper BPMS such as Appian (although I've not used Appian).

Not really, it was recommended by IBM as part of the IBM BPM package.  Other solutions (Hitachi) were evaluated against this but I was not part of that process.

What other advice do I have?

Unless you really want a simple solution for process discovery only and value simplicity over the ability to exploit more functionality, I see Signavio as a much better option.  Of course, IBM may develop Blueworks.

IBM
Business Process Design
April 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Microsoft, Software AG and others in Business Process Design. Updated: April 2022.
595,546 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Change Management Specialist, Finance & Control at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Very good blueprinting functionality and an easy initial setup, but the fonts are very small
  • "The business process discovery is excellent. The diagram or blueprinting functionality of the solution are very good. It's quite easy. You can link the sub-processes and get a big overview of the whole process then."
  • "The font size is really, really small and it's really not useful to print out process models because you cannot read what's written in different boxes. This makes it necessary for people to have access to the tool. We view licenses to see how the printing or output is. It's not very good."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for business process modeling.

What is most valuable?

The business process discovery is excellent. The diagram or blueprinting functionality of the solution are very good. It's quite easy. You can link the sub-processes and get a big overview of the whole process then.

What needs improvement?

In relation to sub-process links, the design is poor. On one process you can link back, but the system doesn't link it to the activity directly. It's not that obvious to people, and because of this, they have to read the different notes to find out more.

The font size is really, really small and it's really not useful to print out process models because you cannot read what's written in different boxes. This makes it necessary for people to have access to the tool. We view licenses to see how the printing or output is. It's not very good.

Process diagrams can sometimes be confusing. The starting point is at the bottom of the page and not on the top of the page where it actually should be.

It would be good if the control points were visible right away on your progress map.

I've been using the solution for about six months.

I've found the solution to be quite stable. It's never crashed or anything when I've been using it.

The solution can be used quite widely within different departments. This requires a bit of work for the administrator as they'd need to design different folders and access to them, but it is a scalable solution. Right now, in our company, we have about 50 users on it. Most are editors or contributors. I'm unsure as to if we plan to increase usage.

This solution is currently replacing Microsoft Vizio or other office tools such as PowerPoint, Word, or Excel within our organization.

The initial setup is easy. The solution is easy to use and doesn't require that much training. For deployment, we have a two-hour training session for users. We didn't deploy in an organized way because we weren't in a hurry to start using the tools. It could have been done better on our side, but even so, it was pretty straightforward. In total, it may have taken us two days to set it up.

The initial training was handled by a consultant.

What other advice do I have?

We use the cloud deployment model with IBM as the provider.

If you are planning to use the tool wisely, it's a good idea to name conventions, terminology, and structures around doing so right at the beginning. Considering how you will use the tool will help ensure it won't get too messy. During the discovery phase, it's a good idea to create discovery tables. It will help keep you organized.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Process Architecture and Business Improvement at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Good mega process maps and a straightforward setup but doesn't have that much modeling capability
  • "The solution is stable. All the refreshes run very well."
  • "The solution is a very basic discovery product so it doesn't have that much modeling capability. This can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for process discovery, from end to end.

What is most valuable?

The mega process maps are very easy to use. You can do standard things like indicating which applications to use or to look at different pieces of information that are linked to the process. This helps with polices, etc.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to be seamlessly integrated with downstream automation.

I've been using the solution for about four years.

The solution is stable. All the refreshes run very well.

The solution is scalable. It can work for companies that have 50,000 or 200,000 users and can be managed quite well.

Technical support rolled out according to the licensing scheme.

The initial setup is straightforward. The solution offers up a lot of documentation that helps with the process. Deployment takes about one month.

The licensing costs are based on the number of users. There are editor licenses and UA licenses.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I'd advise users that they need to look at how relevant the discovery process is, and how quickly you can maintain it or its life cycle as things change. They should also note how it interfaces with other platforms that are integrated into their automation robotics. It's important users know what they are doing and what problems the solution will solve for them.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. It's a competitive field, so there's always somebody who's better in some aspects.

Jared Michalec - PeerSpot reviewer
VP Client Services at Salient process
Reseller
It has the ability to document in different formats and is not tied to a specific model
  • "It has the ability to document in different formats. It is not tied to a specific model. You can look at it from different angles and see the intuitive nature of it. It always generates a valid diagram. You cannot create something that is not BPMN compliant."
  • "We would like the ability to add additional custom colors. We would like to color additional items to add notes to the blueprint."

What is our primary use case?

We are resellers. Our use case varies from client to client, but the most common are for initial demonstration, cut mapping, and workshops with the clients.

We are always looking for opportunities to expand. We work with clients, but we also look at our processes internally and where we could streamline some of those.

We are using the following tools from the IBM DBA portfolio: Blueworks Live, BPM, ODM, and RPA.

We have implemented the IBM Automation Platform for Digital Business with our customers, but not internally.

How has it helped my organization?

We use automation in a few different areas. We have a number of internal (as well as external) processes, like expense reporting, sales handoff, and time tracking, which are all done in the IBM automation suite.

In terms of direction, one of the things that we value of a tool is not just that we are getting benefit from it, but can we apply that benefit to other client situations. One of the things that we look at when assessing if something is a candidate for automation: "Is it repeatable, or is it something that we could bring about to our customers?" This is definitely something that we consider when we are thinking about automation.

What is most valuable?

It is very usable. That is probably one of its biggest selling features: Its ability to have someone sit down and spend a couple minutes on it, then they are off and running.

What needs improvement?

In the past, we have seen some projects not start on time. This is because we had some process gaps in our automation. By removing those and getting the right people involved at the right time, we were able to send notifications and make sure the information was in the right place. This has really helped to eliminate that risk.

We would like the ability to add additional custom colors. We would like to color additional items to add notes to the blueprint.

We would like to see more robust API access. We want it to be able to interact not just through the front-end, and have the ability to integrate with other systems more easily.

The reporting and analytics features have room for improvement, as well as some of the management and governance. These should be done out-of-the-box, as opposed to being built manually.

The system is very stable, if it is setup the right way.

The cloud versions that we use for custumer-facing things are usually more resilient, as opposed to us standing something up internally. Sometimes, we miss something, or something is not setup exactly right, but these are not product issues.

It's very scalable, either horizontally, adding more servers to the cluster, or vertically, where we are increasing the server size. It is pretty easy to keep up with demand and being able to spin things up and down.

We don't have a lot of interaction with the technical support. In most cases, we are the technical support, since we have the background. For Blueworks, they are very responsive.

Often, we will either log tickets ourselves or log tickets on behalf of our customers. Then, the Blueworks support team is very responsive and will get back to us right away.

We try it ourselves before putting in front of our customers.

The initial setup is straightforward. For Blueworks, because it is cloud-based, they stand it up for you and provision it usually within 24 hours.

The solution has increased productivity and reduced operating costs (in soft costs).

It saves time, probably a couple days a month, but this is dependent on the process. E.g., it reduces our onboarding from about five days to three days. Therefore, it saves us about 30 days over the course of a year. This is how it helps us from a business process management use case.

For automation projects, the ROI varies depending on the tools. The RPA capability definitely has the fasted ROI and lowest investment. However, we see a more significant ROI with some of the deeper automation tools, like BPM and ODM.

Our licensing costs are very minimal, because we get a lot of the solutions for free (as a partner).

We only work with IBM.

What other advice do I have?

Try it out. It is clear once you start using the solution that it is a different type of application. There is no direct competition to the tool.

I don't think that there is another product out there quite like it. There are some competitors certainly, but they are either more complex, costly, or too simplistic and not geared towards process documentation.

The integration process is pretty open-ended. You need to be fairly technical to make it work, but we have seen success in integrating it with QuickBooks and Salesforce. Now, we are looking at other systems to integrate it with, as well.

I learned the best approach to adopting process improvement across an organization from using this solution.

Business Process Analyst at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Gives insight into where processes can be more productive
  • "It enables decisions based upon processes that we do model, and ultimately move forward with."
  • "We haven't yet been able to dabble in case management with Blueworks Live, as it is not yet offered with the product."

What is our primary use case?

This is the best process analysis tool on the market.

How has it helped my organization?

Blueworks Live gives insight into where processes can be more productive. It gives that, "Ah ha!" moment from a visual perspective. Since a lot of people are visual, having this is helpful as it provides the ability to tweak, update, and refine processes so easily in Blueworks Live, that feeds improvement.

The solution has improved our business processes.

What is most valuable?

The usability is easy peasy. Most of the users from the business who do use Blueworks Live have found the tool through me. I end up training them on it, and they have been using it ever since. They don't usually come back to me for needs after the fact.

What needs improvement?

We've been using this solution for almost ten years.

The stability is rock solid. I don't have any issues with stability.

I don't have any issue with scalability.

I haven't had to use the technical support, so that is saying something.

The initial setup was easy.

We are seeing ROI from this solution. The solution has saved us time.

This is the only product that I have used in this space.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend starting small when using this product.

We are using IBM BAW. We are also using Automation Anywhere throughout the organization, so the sky is the limit. We are planning to expand automation in our organization. We have several onboarding processes and still have a plethora of manual processes that we have yet to automate. Therefore, the platform is only growing.

From the IBM DBA portfolio, we are using: BAW, ODM, RPA, FileNet, and Datacap.

The solution helps us indirectly with compliance or governance issues.

I attended the business track and client success track at the IBM event, tackling one of each. The biggest take away for me was the focus on journey maps and design thinking.

Head of Process Innovation and Robotic Automation at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The stability is highly available, which is key. You don't lose your work and can autosave.
  • "You can use if from your mobile device or you can be on the desktop. It doesn't matter. You are always connected. It is cloud-based, so you don't have to install anything."
  • "The stability is pretty good. It is highly available, which is key. You don't lose your work and can autosave."
  • "The ability to create a very structured rule. With the capability that we have right now, Blueworks Live is more process focused. We should be able to enhance it to include a lot more of decisions as well."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Blueworks Live mostly for process innovation and transformation. With most of our clients, we are using to it to capture the process as is, analyze it, and spatially, the analysis phase helps us. We then come up with a model. The other great feature from the tool is since it is integrated with IBM BPM it helps me import the process, making sure the business is always connected.

We have been using it mostly as an end-to-end enterprise transformation tool. We start with our discovery workshop and Blueworks Live plays a key role. We use this tool to discover processes, analyze those processes, and define them from a tool set perspective: Whether the process should got into BPM, ODM, cognitive, IAB, etc.

This helps during the UAT phase because it becomes easier to clean the business process model in Blueworks Live, then fitting it on a process which is in IBM BPM or a rule which is in IBM ODM.

With the current account, or engagement, we have been doing a large process transformation where we have Blueworks Live with IBM BMP, BPN, ODM, and Watson (for its cognitive features). There is also Robotic Process Automation from Automation Anywhere, IAB, and third-party integrations with SAP.

The product is business-friendly. That's the key thing that resonates with most of our customers. By giving the demo of the tool in the first 15 to 20 minutes, businesses start to get a feel of how they can use the tool.

It's intuitive, and it connects really well with business teams.

How has it helped my organization?

Collaboration is key. Therefore, you don't have a document sitting on a shelf for multiple years with nobody looking at it. It is a live document. Whatever you have, it is live and accessible to everyone.

Multichannel: You can use if from your mobile device or you can be on the desktop. It doesn't matter. You are always connected. It is cloud-based, so you don't have to install anything. People don't have hassle of installing, then updating, etc. It's always on the fly available for you on demand.

This becomes key, and it is a big differentiator.

What is most valuable?

We utilize the collaboration features of this solution, such as editing pathways and uploading documentation, especially the documentation which is a key part inside the solution. There are a lot of accounts with whom we work and they have all standard operating procedures. We are converting them into Blueworks Live models, uploading their documentation and screenshots along with having people to chat with on the fly. When the process is published, there are multiple people using the same process. This has become a key goal from the tool's perspective.

What needs improvement?

There are a couple of things which are not there right now:

1. The ability to create a very structured rule. With the capability that we have right now, Blueworks Live is more process focused. We should be able to enhance it to include a lot more of decisions as well. Right now, we can create a simple decision, not a complex decision, in tools like the business console, modeler, etc.
  2. In the file management feature, we get 50MB of space. Maybe that needs to be given out as an option to customers who want to purchase the extra space.
  3. While using the tool, it is a lot like creating a structure in BPM and Compliant, though not like 100 percent the same. The rule part as well becomes much easier when you are not using IBM BPM as a run-time engine, but Blueworks Live only for process discovery. If you want JBoss as a run time engine, it becomes a more compliant tool set and will help to increase your footprint.

Three to five years.

The stability is pretty good. It is highly available, which is key. You don't lose your work and can autosave. People do not keeping focused and save their information. Therefore, the information automatically getting saved, so it helps from a stability perspective.

We have the ability to use the tool from our iPad or on the fly. Also, when we are at the airport, we can still login and use it, which helps a lot.

It's a cloud-based solution.

We have used technical support, especially for Blueworks Live. There is an option to create a process app, which can be either a check list or a workflow.

We were facing some technical issues with the execution of our workflow. We wanted to assign the task to a group of users, not to a single user. This is where we reached out to IBM support to help us out and improve the next release of Blueworks Live.

It's two minutes from a setup perspective. We get the I.D. created for our clients, give them the URL, and they are all set to go.

Based on the licenses purchased, from a footprint perspective, you can have as many people as you want. You have multiple different categories of licenses to keep the cost low.

My hierarchy works only with IBM, but we do work with other products as well.

What other advice do I have?

My first process model had 142 activities. This is humongous from a single process perspective. To model, it took us three days to complete. It helped with our process version control issues.

When we are working with one of our financial clients every quarter to do their financial reporting, the process changes. They had a lot of material weaknesses, so there are process changes. We keep on creating snapshots, so it helps us to to move them from a BPM implementation tool and put a governance structure around it. Creating snapshots helps us form a governance perspective.

We use a document repository. There are multiple places for how we upload documents, either by going to dashboard interface or by taking pictures/screenshots that can be put in the documentation tab. It goes into the file management of Blueworks Live. You can review them later, clean them out later. You have one single source where you have lot of documents which are used across multiple processes. Everything's stored there. It helps in that way, making it lean and having your documentation updated.

Architect at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
Helps us produce an automated, improved workflow solution for our customers
  • "Business users understand it really well, which means we can then help them automate their business processes."
  • "We are you using the product as a process mapping tool and as part of a larger process improvement project. We use it with IBM BPM and IBM ODM. We get an automated workflow solution for our customers, an improved workflow automation."

What is our primary use case?

Discovery workshops and collaborative sessions with customers.

How has it helped my organization?

Very collaborative, and business users understand it really well, which means we can then help them automate their business processes.

We don't use the document repository.

What is most valuable?

In terms of utilizing the collaboration features, really we use everything. We use it for creating the as-is and the to-be business process model; for activities, decisions, documentation.

We are you using the product as a process mapping tool and as part of a larger process improvement project. We use it with IBM BPM and IBM ODM. We get an automated workflow solution for our customers, an improved workflow automation. We're helping our business.

What needs improvement?

I think it's pretty good. I can't think of any additional features it needs.

Stability is pretty good. It has never broken on me. I've been able to do my job.

Scalability is pretty good.

Pretty good, pretty responsive.

Pretty straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I rate it a nine out of 10 because it does the work.

I've recommended Blueworks Live to many people, for collaboration.

it_user842859 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Risk at Citibank N.A. - ISP Peering
    Gives us one centralized depository for our critical processes, and it's very intuitive
    • "For me the most valuable feature is that it's one depository for our bank. So it's not like everybody has their critical processes on SharePoint or on their desktops. Everything is centrally located. It's very intuitive, easy to use. The support that I get from IBM is always great."
    • "I wish Blueworks Live had simulations built in, but it doesn't. It also lacks a feature of reporting; ad hoc, drag and drop reporting. A lot of senior people are always asking for reports, and there's no reporting feature within IBM Blueworks."
    • "The APIs are great, except the normal business user doesn't know how to create APIs. So it's hard because IBM comes to us as the business users and tell us to create reporting with APIs, except we don't know that, so we have to turn around and flip it to our IT people."
    • "We'd also like to see it be Six Sigma or Lean compatible, a lot of people have asked about that."

What is our primary use case?

We use Blueworks Live to put all our critical processes in one depository, within the bank.

We've been using Blueworks since IBM acquired it from Lombardi, so quite a while, and we're still using it, but there are quirks with it. That's why I'm here, at the Think 2018 conference, to actually talk with people, try to get some things fixed.

How has it helped my organization?

We use it as a process mapping tool.

What is most valuable?

We upload all our policies into Blueworks Live. It's used throughout the business for audit purposes, for backup purposes for employees.

In terms of it helping with process version control issues, I administrate our licenses. I don't actually build the processes themselves. So I don't know all the different processes within all the different departments, how they work and how they run everything.

For me the most valuable feature is that it's one depository for our bank. So it's not like everybody has their critical processes on SharePoint or on their desktops. Everything is centrally located. It's very intuitive, easy to use. The support that I get from IBM is always great. My sales guy, Steve, he always picks up the phone when I call him. It's good to have somebody like him onboard.

What needs improvement?

I wish Blueworks Live had simulations built in, but it doesn't.

It also lacks a feature of reporting; ad hoc, drag and drop reporting. A lot of senior people are always asking for reports, and there's no reporting feature within IBM Blueworks.

We'd like to be able to bring it on to our server. Because it's in the cloud I don't think that's going to happen.

We'd also like to see it be Six Sigma or Lean compatible, a lot of people have asked about that.

More than five years.

Right now, our challenge is - I work for Citibank. Citibank wants all its information on our side of the wall. This solution is on the cloud. So I'm hoping... I just heard something about the private cloud, but the issue is that we want to bring this on to our server. That's what we're working towards right now because I guess Citibank feels a little iffy that all our information is mixed with everybody else's, and it's vulnerable.

So far, though, the solution has been stable.

It's pretty big. We want to make this our go-to process diagram application. There are other vendors that we looked at. So far, IBM is the one that we're mostly interested in, but like I said before, there are flaws. There are groups, especially in compliance - even in our engineering - they want to see where we can improve in a process, where we can cut things down. They want to see where we're doubling employees doing the same work. So we're trying to save dollars by using this.

We were looking at cost effectiveness, if it's intuitive or not to the employee. We went with IBM because it's intuitive and because of the cost.

Originally we were with Lombardi, and IBM honored the contract that we had with Lombardi. That was great for us.

Straightforward, but I had to get our IT people involved. Before, what happened was, you would log in to blueworkslive.com. That meant that any employee from our bank could go home, log in, and all our process flows were there. So what we did was we worked with IBM and we worked with our IT people, and now we've integrated so that we have to be actually logged in to our Citi mainframe in order to get into Blueworks Live. So that's one good thing about it.

TIBCO, they were at the bottom of the list. Sparx, they were at the bottom of the list too. The top two were IBM Blueworks and an application called AG ARIS.

What other advice do I have?

Use it. Test it, use it. It's great.

It also has a lot to do with my guy at IBM. If we had this, and I had to call in to a number all the time, and it was just support out in India... It's great, but it's a pain sometimes. The guy that I deal with, I call him - he's a sales guy, and I call him with my problems - and he puts me in touch with exactly who I'm supposed to speak with.

It's a good tool. I like it.

it_user840858 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Director at a retailer with 1-10 employees
    Enables exploring options, modeling a variety of different processes
    • "In terms of the collaboration features, from the point of discovery, it was useful to go to load up the policies and the rule sets that the client had. And in terms of exploring options and being able to model a variety of different processes, that was incredibly useful as well."
    • "Valuable features include real-time modeling and design work, the ability to perform workshops with clients in real-time with the tool, and getting instant output."
    • "Some of the import functionality was a bit restrictive, in terms of loading data in from other data sources. Something as simple as Excel, loading data tables from Excel, wasn't great. And vice-versa. Some of the export and import functionality with something like Visio - which, I know it's a slightly different tool - but being able to work seamlessly with those other tool sets would've been quite useful. I know it was something that was in the pipeline to be looked at. So that would be useful."

What is our primary use case?

It was for business process, modeling and analytics, and it performed really well.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved the way the organization functions. We were using it for design and modeling purposes. We didn't actually follow through with the tool into an operational process. So it was very much a discrete workshop-based activity.

We didn't use the document repository, at least, not extensively. We used it as a mapping tool.

What is most valuable?

• Real-time modeling and design work
    • The ability to perform workshops with clients in real-time with the tool
    • Getting instant output

In terms of the collaboration features, from the point of discovery, it was useful to go to load up the policies and the rule sets that the client had. And in terms of exploring options and being able to model a variety of different processes, that was incredibly useful as well.

Building out my first process model took quite a while, because I hadn't done it before. But the teething problems were very limited and very short-lived. Within 24 - 48 hours, we were pretty much in full flight.

As for process version control issues, that wasn't something we were particularly suffering from.

What needs improvement?

We didn't really explore the opportunities for process execution. So moving from the modeling to the process orchestration, it wasn't very clear how we would do that from a BPM perspective, and then into the larger tool set perspective. But I can't talk with authority on it. We just never actually got there.

Really stable. We didn't have any stability issues at all.

I don't know about this actually. We didn't experience any problems with it, but we didn't use it at scale. It was fairly localized. I wouldn't have any concerns with using it at scale though.

We didn't use technical support.

We were using a previous solution, it was called "paper and ink." So we needed to something slightly more, well, less 19th-century and slightly more 21st-century.

When selecting a vendor, what's important is a vendor that understands and is able to provide a clear solution for the problem that's in front of us. In this particular instance, it was an answer to a question we didn't even know we were asking. We had what we thought was our set of requirements, and then we found we actually had a different set. Meaning, we had that first set of requirements and then some others. We were able to not just take one step but take several steps at once. So, having a vendor that understands the problem and is able to deliver the answer is important.

Straightforward. It was just really intuitive. It's not a particularly complicated tool to set up. There are fairly limited configuration requirements. It was reasonably straightforward.

We really only evaluated IBM in this particular scenario.

What other advice do I have?

For what it did, for what we used it for, it was relatively complete.

Product Categories
    Business Process Design
    Download our free Business Process Design Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Microsoft, Software AG, and more!