Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

IBM Blueworks Live OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Blueworks Live is #17 ranked solution in Business Process Design tools. PeerSpot users give IBM Blueworks Live an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. IBM Blueworks Live is most commonly compared to Visio: IBM Blueworks Live vs Visio. IBM Blueworks Live is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 69% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a financial services firm, accounting for 20% of all views.

Download the Business Process Design Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is IBM Blueworks Live?
IBM Blueworks Live is a cloud-based business process modeling tool that helps discover, map and document processes and accessible anywhere through a browser and that generates industry-standard BPMN 2.0 layouts, documentation and output. Tutorial videos guide you through creating and editing a simple process model, allowing you to learn and perform business process modeling in minutes.

IBM Blueworks Live was previously known as IBM Lombardi Blueprint.

IBM Blueworks Live Customers
Cloudsoft Corp. Ltd., Bayer, S¾SS, Essex County Council
IBM Blueworks Live Video

IBM Blueworks Live Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM Blueworks Live pricing:
  • "The solution is not very expensive."
  • "Making it less expensive would be good."
  • "There are editor licenses that are around 50 euros per month, and contributor licenses that are around 30 euros per month."
  • IBM Blueworks Live Reviews

Director of Professional Services at a aerospace/defense firm with 51-200 employees
    Great standardization across our organization to do all our process mapping on one platform
    • "This solution is good at utilizing standards rules for connectivity."
    • "Spaces are not well organized; space controls are lacking."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for business process mapping for clients that come on board with us. We use it for engineering work, mapping their processes, evaluating their concerns with a process mapping exercise, and then providing recommendations for the engineering. I'm the director of professional services and we are customers of IBM Blueworks.

How has it helped my organization?

Blueworks has provided us with a steady set of templates to utilize for mapping. We were previously using different platforms for some of the geos, but Blueworks has given us a consistent standardization across the organization to do all our process mapping on one platform.

What is most valuable?

I like the way this solution utilizes standards rules for connectivity. We develop a map which can't be done arbitrarily, it requires following a series of rules for adding decision boxes or connecting activities with one another, that kind of thing. I love the control factor.

What needs improvement?

I think the spaces could be improved, it's not well organized so it's really convoluted. Instead of having spaces represented by any sub-sections of a process, the space controls are lacking. If there were better user controls for user grouping, it would be simpler to develop groups and reduce visibility across the entire organization. Currently, people have access to processes they may not need for editing, but they'd like to view them, and those controls could be expanded. It's really about improving user management and space controls. It's really hard to litigate and control who has access to what.

For additional features, I'd like to see better tools for creating documentation associated with the processes, so that if you're looking for specific information regarding a process of the space, you could do a search and find it without having to go through a process.

September 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Microsoft, Software AG and others in Business Process Design. Updated: September 2022.
    632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using this solution for six years.

I've been pleased with the stability.

Scalability is good. It's gotten more complex recently, but adding users is very easy to do. It's not a problem once you get to the tech support people. We have seven users and they're business and technical analysts or project coordinators.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward, it took less than two hours. The solution was implemented in-house.

What other advice do I have?

Mostly because of the usability, user management and space controls, I rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Oussema Wazzeni - PeerSpot reviewer
    Manager Financial Sector | Operational Excellence, RPA & AI at Ernst & Young
    Useful reporting, simple deployment, and beneficial templates
    • "The reporting that we can generate from IBM Blueworks Live has been interesting. We found the KPIs, risks, process modeling, format, and colors, to be very good. We use the EY template and it is interesting to generate reporting in this format."
    • "In the solution Signavio, they have a customer journey mapping feature that should be added to IBM Blueworks Live. It's valuable to map or document the customer journey to identify the pains and opportunities in this process."

What is most valuable?

The reporting that we can generate from IBM Blueworks Live has been interesting. We found the KPIs, risks, process modeling, format, and colors, to be very good. We use the EY template and it is interesting to generate reporting in this format.

What needs improvement?

In the solution Signavio, they have a customer journey mapping feature that should be added to IBM Blueworks Live. It's valuable to map or document the customer journey to identify the pains and opportunities in this process.

Indeed, the Signavio solution allows us to design the customer journey (actions made by the customer in the process) using pictograms and icons. So, we can indicate tasks, tools, goals, and frustrating points.

I have been using IBM Blueworks Live for approximately one year.

IBM Blueworks Live sometimes has a period of repairing and during this time the solution is not available for some hours. However, it's not disturbing or very frustrating.

We have three or four people using this solution in my organization. We use it for some projects, but not on a large scale as we do with ARIS Connect.

We have not used technical support.

We have used ARIS Connect.

IBM Blueworks Live deployment was not difficult, it was easy.

We did the deployment in-house.

We don't have a precise assessment for the return on investment because we didn't use it on a large scale as we have with ARIS Connect. However, when we do demonstrations for the customer, they appreciate IBM Blueworks Live reports because the modeling is much easier than ARIS Connect. We try to convince our customers to use IBM Blueworks Live.

I rate the pricing of IBM Blueworks Live a four out of five.

The solution is not very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I rate IBM Blueworks Live an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
    September 2022
    632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    ThongHuynh - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Technical Analyst at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    Good for collaboration, supports the BPM language, and very stable
    • "Collaboration is most valuable. You can collaborate online with many people. People can comment, and you can comment back. It is just like a social network, and that, for me, is very good."
    • "There should be an option to import from and export to Microsoft Visio. Being able to move files back and forth between Blueworks Live and Visio would be good."

What is most valuable?

It is easy to make diagrams in this solution. It is running pretty well for me.

What needs improvement?

Anything to support printing out a big diagram would be good. Most often, we like to print the models out on a large piece of paper. It might already be able to do that, and there is probably a button to make a PDF version for an A0 paper size.

There should be an option to import from and export to Microsoft Visio. Being able to move files back and forth between Blueworks Live and Visio would be good.

They can make it less expensive.

I have been using this solution for two or three years.

It is very stable.

We don't have a lot of people using it. It is just for the analyst team. So, we never had to think about scalability.

IBM's support is good in Australia. They provide a response to us fairly quickly and within a day or so.

There is no installation. It is an online solution, so all we need to do is log in.

Making it less expensive would be good.

We evaluated ARIS and Visio (from Microsoft). We chose this product because it supports the BPM language, and that's what we want to adopt into our business.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It is pretty good. I am pretty happy with it.

I would rate IBM Blueworks Live a nine out of 10.

Katriina Sievanen - PeerSpot reviewer
    Communication Specialist at UPM-Kymmene Oyj
    Transferrable licenses and , Good Scalability, but it would be nice to have the ability to print the information out in large font for review
    • "The licenses are transferrable between different users."
    • "The initial setup is neither straightforward nor complex however you do need to know what you are doing."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution mainly for the process flow chart.

What is most valuable?

It is valuable that the licenses are transferrable between different users.

What needs improvement?

Since you require a license per user to access the information it would be nice to have the ability to print the information out in large font for review. Currently, you can PDF but the text size is so small it can't be read properly.

I have been using the solution for three years.

Although I don't have direct knowledge of the stability of the solution it does appear to be stable.

The scalability is good.

The implementation was done through a vendor.

Blue licenses are sold per 100 and I am not familiar with the cost. There are editor licenses that are around 50 euros per month, and contributor licenses that are around 30 euros per month.

What other advice do I have?

I rate the solution a seven out of ten.

We use the solution mainly for the process flow chart. If you are looking for a process management portal or something similar that is a wider solution I suggest researching additional solutions.

IBM
    Download our free Business Process Design Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Microsoft, Software AG, and more!
    Updated: September 2022