Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Huawei Ethernet Switches OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Huawei Ethernet Switches is #12 ranked solution in top Ethernet Switches. PeerSpot users give Huawei Ethernet Switches an average rating of 7.4 out of 10. Huawei Ethernet Switches is most commonly compared to Cisco Ethernet Switches: Huawei Ethernet Switches vs Cisco Ethernet Switches. Huawei Ethernet Switches is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 56% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 33% of all views.
Huawei Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide

Download the Huawei Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Huawei Ethernet Switches?
Huawei SOHO & SMB Switches, an Energy-saving Ethernet access switches with service features that are easy to install and maintain. It has a S1700 Series Enterprise Switches that caters from small- to medium-sized businesses and Internet cafes.
Huawei Ethernet Switches Customers
Newcastle University, Jingyang District of Deyang City in Sichuan Province, Southwest China, Glasgow Rangers Soccer Team, RMIT, Insurance Industry Association of Zhejiang Province, China, APT Satellite Holdings Limited (APT)
Huawei Ethernet Switches Video

Archived Huawei Ethernet Switches Reviews (more than two years old)

Ivorn Zhang - PeerSpot reviewer
Director Of Information Technology at Bioworkshops
A scalable and stable solution for connecting networks

What is most valuable?

The stability is good.

What needs improvement?

The configuration could be improved and deployment should be easier. It's also quite expensive.

I have been using this solution for a long time.

Huawei Ethernet Switches are both scalable and stable.

Huawei Ethernet Switches
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Huawei Ethernet Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.

From time to time I have contacted customer support; they are reliable and powerful.

The price is one of the only issues I have regarding this solution; it's not cheap.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Huawei Ethernet Switches a rating of nine. If they lowered the price, I would give them a higher rating.

IT Director at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Scalable, easy to manage, and priced well
  • "What we like the most is that the price is reasonable and it's easy to manage."
  • "The stability could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

The Huawei Ethernet Switches help to make up our network infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

What we like the most is that the price is reasonable and it's easy to manage.

It's a switch that has all of the features that it needs to have.

What needs improvement?

The web interface is poor, it could be improved.

The stability could be improved.

Although it is suitable for us, it could have better third-party integration.

I have been working with Huawei Ethernet Switches for three years.

It's pretty stable, but we have experienced some fails.

It's a scalable solution.

We have not contacted technical support.

We have always had Huawei on-premises, it would be difficult to change.

We have a team of three engineers who maintain this solution.

It's a reasonable price, cheaper than some other vendors.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good solution and I would recommend it.

I would rate Huawei Ethernet Switches an eight out of ten.

Huawei Ethernet Switches
September 2022
635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Network Architect & Pre-Sales Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Reseller
Although it is less touted in the marketplace, this solution competes with the best brands head on
  • "This product is competitive technically with the best products in the class."
  • "The technical support is technically savvy, but the communication via English is not so easy."

What is our primary use case?

I am a Huawei reseller, so I supply these switches to my customers. The use case is just for general corporate office connectivity from the desktops through to the data center.

What is most valuable?

The feature that is the most valuable depends on who the customer is. The power of the Ethernet is important for us and for our clients. The multi-gig options are important for us all. All the routing protocols that they have are important for us. The level of importance of each of these features depends on the specific business requirements for a specific company.

What needs improvement?

I do not know if I can think of a product feature that really needs to be improved. Especially right now, the most important thing for customers is cost and Huawei does have a very good price point. They are very competitive from a cost perspective. From a technology perspective and in my economic environment with my customers, Huawei has everything that I and the customers need.

If I have one potential issue, it is that the technical support does not understand English so well. The issue is just that they should understand and speak English pretty well to provide proper technical support and solutions.

I have been using Huawei switches for about a year now.

Huawei switches are stable products.

The scalability of the product is excellent. We do not have any real problems with the product and we are able to scale really well. I am talking about both upward scaling and linear scaling. Huawei does what it does very well.

Being totally honest, we do have a problem with technical support and language. The technical support people are supposed to be able to understand and reply in English. Sometimes we just do not understand what they are saying or they do not understand us. So getting support from Huawei can be a little bit tricky.

I am talking about the support teams specifically — like if I phone the service desk. Otherwise, the support is good. Their swapping process is fine. The way they release the software upgrades is all fine. They just need to be able to communicate better.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is not an issue.

The Huawei Ethernet Switching products are reasonably priced and competitive in the marketplace.

What other advice do I have?

I use the product, so I definitely think that I can recommend Huawei as a very good alternative to other highly-praised brands. The world does not have to just use Cisco. Huawei is very cost-effective. They have all the features. I would not have a problem recommending it to anybody.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this product as an eight-out-of-ten.

Muhittin Akar - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Security Expert at Secil Kaucuk San
Reasonably priced, as well as easy to set up, configure, and use
  • "The most valuable features are that it is easy to use, easy to configure, it's priced well, and the operating system is easy to understand."
  • "I would like to see more training opportunities available."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for connections in an enterprise company.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

It would be helpful to have more commands.

Technical support needs improvement.

I would like to see more training opportunities available. It is very rare to find training with quality.

I have been using the Huawei Ethernet Switches for six years.

This product is stable and I have not experienced any issues.

We can scale this solution.

I have tired to contact technical support but I was not able to connect with anyone.

Previously, I worked with Cisco. Cisco provides training every year, which is helpful.

The initial setup was easy. It took one hour to set up and deploy.

The price of Huawei ethernet switches is cheap.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and I recommend it.

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.

Umer Siddique - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr. Network Engineer at a pharma/biotech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy to troubleshoot issues and is easy to understand and configure
  • "In terms of the most valuable features, LAN switching is more comfortable and valuable in the network. It is easy to configure and easy to deploy. It is helpful for the installation and it is easy to troubleshoot issues. It's an easy product to understand. It's a good solution."
  • "I had issues with patching the IOS. But right now I think Huawei has improved very much in the advanced technology and is more stable now. I think patch and bug fixes should be announced on a scheduled basis."

What is most valuable?

In terms of the most valuable features, LAN switching is more comfortable and valuable in the network. It is easy to configure and easy to deploy. It is helpful for the installation and it is easy to troubleshoot issues. It's an easy product to understand. It's a good solution.

What needs improvement?

I had issues with patching the IOS. But right now I think Huawei has improved very much in the advanced technology and is more stable now. I think patch and bug fixes should be announced on a scheduled basis. That would eliminate the issues and improve the functionality of the device. It would be helpful.

I have been using Huawei Ethernet Switches for five to six years.

The stability is good. I installed the devices over two years ago and they're still running. It is a stable and reliable device.

It is scalable.

Technical support is good. Out of ten, I would rate them seven or eight.

I have worked with Cisco and Huawei. I have worked on both and both devices are stable and reliable devices. Cisco is a standard of devices. Huawei are valuable devices that work well. They are both sufficient and good devices.

The initial setup is very easy. I feel comfortable when I deploy and troubleshoot the device. It's easy to assess the device and understand its technology. It's very comfortable to use.

The pricing is cheaper than other vendors, which is a plus.

What other advice do I have?

The device is stable, reliable, and cheaper as well than other devices. The features are valuable. They also have good support.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

With respect to the hardware, I think Huawei should improve its chassis. Its hardware module like the cooling system is not as good as with other devices. For example, with Cisco, I switched off a router that was running more for than five to six years, 24/7. But the amazing thing was that the device was running continuously for about five to six years. With Huawei, I haven't seen any device uptime. Maybe it is an issue with the environment because in Pakistan the environment is dusty at most of the sites. That's may be why Huawei has this issue. The dust can stack on the cooling system and that may cause device failure or something to impact the performance. Huawei should improve its hardware chassis and must focus on the cooling system with respect to the environment or a dusty environment.

Hybrid Cloud
Wireless Network Design Engineer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Highly reliable and stable; CLI syntax is a good feature

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for peer to peer links and for the ISP. We connect end users to it and
we have over 50 users of this product. I'm a Wireless Network Design Engineer.

What is most valuable?

I like getting that CLI syntax, it's quite similar to the Cisco product.

What needs improvement?

There could be some improvement in the dashboards and that's something that could be included in the next update.

I've been using the solution for four or five months.

It's a stable solution.

Scalability is quite good.

The initial setup of the solution is quite simple.

We looked at Cisco before going with Huawei.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this product an eight out of 10.

Network Engineer at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Has valuable spanning tree protocol and routing features but they should improve the knowledge base library
  • "When you buy a switch from Huawei, the switches come along with a lot of features that you do not need to pay extra money for."
  • "The technical support is a bit difficult to work with if you don't speak Mandarin."
  • "The knowledge base needs to be improved and expanded."
  • "It could potentially be difficult to get parts depending on where you live."

What is our primary use case?

For my own use case, I am a reseller for the switches. For my clients' use case, it is using the products as switches to build out their network connections.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features will be those features that are really considered as basic features of this type of switch. That includes things such as spanning tree protocol, Huawei's proprietary intelligent stacking called iStack, and the routing features that come along with the switch software package.

Because Huawei does not charge any license fee on extra features I can repackage it. When you buy a switch from Huawei, the switches come along with a lot of features that you do not need to pay extra money for but you can use these features to build out similarly to something like Cisco switches. There are some features that it does not include, so you have to pay some extra license fee to enable those capabilities.

What needs improvement?

To improve the ethernet switches, I think first of all that Huawei should improve their knowledge base library. When people like me are trying to look for documents to study about the product to find a solution, sometimes the particular information I am looking for is quite hard to find. It should be an easy task to find a suitable document as a reference. By comparison, it is very easy to locate the information that you need for the Cisco systems. I just type the name of any features or any questions I might have into Google and I can find what I need in a matter of minutes. With Huawei, it is not that simple.

I think the support also needs to be improved. Right now you have to be able to speak Mandarin in order to communicate with those technical experts and express your problem to make them understand what it is. When they know they can give you a solution to solve your problem, and the support is good in that way it is good. But they need more support for other languages. When I work with Cisco, for example, you can generally speak in English. I am not saying that the support people at Huawei do not know how to communicate in English at all, but find it quite difficult to communicate well with them because they have a very heavy Mandarin accent when speaking in English. It is better to just speak with them in mandarin if you can.

Because I work only so often with the Huawei brand, I think these might be the only suggestions I have. I spent a long time with the technology but have not gotten very deeply into discovering the smaller details of Huawei switches until recent years.

I have been using the product for three years.

The stability of the brand is constantly getting better and has improved over time. Early on, I actually was working with this brand and have experience with it from seven or eight years ago for a short period of time. As I worked with it, I found it was sometimes hard to explain to the customer when the system became unstable. But Huawei seems to have resolved these issues now.

In terms of scalability, Huawei is catching up to the big brothers in networking. For example, it is doing more to compete with Cisco, i-Tree or Brocade switches. Their scalability is quite good and sometimes they develop proprietary technology similar to other brands, like borrowing from Cisco. But some people say that the brand is just trying to copycat features that already exist in other brands. To copy is good sometimes, but to develop their own new technology is more important than copying something from other companies. It is not quite best practices to steal some technology and ideas from other companies.

I would say that the technical support responds quite well. Because we are in the same time zone, it is quite easy to find people for troubleshooting or support. Just in case they cannot solve my problem, they can look for other knowledgeable resources within the same time zone who can address the issue. Some other brands, like Cisco, will usually pass the case to another time zone. They work in a protocol which some people call "follow the sun." So sometimes when people are working in one time-zone and they pass the case to people in another time zone, there might be some problem or some information that gets lost about the dialogue explaining the issue. When that happens, you have to repeat the questions and dialogue and it can take the people responding some time to pick up what had already been explained. So it wastes time at the end of the day.

I believe that the question about setup complexity really depends on which models of the switches are being used. For the middle to low-end switches, it is quite intuitive. But for higher-end models, you must have experience in understanding not only Huawei technology but should also have a very clear concept of what you want to accomplish in networking. So, configuration-wise, I do not personally find any difficulties in configuring Huawei switches provided that I find the configuration guide and read it briefly before I put in any commands into the switch. However, less experienced users could potentially have problems.

Huawei comes with a lot of features out of the box that you have to pay extra for with other products. They do charge extra in the licensing for certain other features, however, so some of those capabilities are an additional charge.

I have used quite a few ethernet switches. I have mostly been involved with Cisco, Huawei, and Meraki and I primarily use these three brands. It is not really a matter of choosing only Huawei as a solution in my situation. As a reseller, I need more than one option to satisfy client needs.

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give people who are considering this product as their switching solution is that if you are looking to satisfy the needs of a small scale project and want a pretty good price, then you might go for it. But you might be sacrificing security or risking involvement in a politically unstable situation. China and the U.S. are very tense with their political positions at the moment. They are facing some sort of trade war. If you need some components to produce or manufacture a product like a Huawei switch it is possibly going to be a tense situation. The chips are an important and really a vital component to complete development and upgrades or maintenance. Without that availability, the switch cannot work properly if something happens. So security and material swapping are the major issues to consider as a potential risk of adopting the product.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate the Huawei ethernet switches as a five. I rate it a five, or really average, compared with a product like Cisco switches. Cisco switches really rate something more like an eight or eight-and-a-half.

Senior System Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Offers good technical documentation and is durable and stable
  • "The technical documentation available is very good. The technical support for the customer is also good - I would give it 8 out of 10."
  • "The availability and the speed of the firmware updates are the only things wrong with Huawei. There are some vulnerabilities on the hardware."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for this solution is more appropriate for small businesses than bigger ones, and is for internal and distribution switches, as well as for using power apps.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature that our clients look for in this solution is that it will perform how it says it will perform for the best price and that it will provide good support.

In terms of communication, implementation, and permissioning, we have on-hand implementation documents on the website that you can download if you want some second project in certain kinds of scenarios. Huawei has the advantages here, because with Cisco I can not find it. You have to do it yourself.

Durability is fine. The performance is fine compared with other products

What needs improvement?

From the customer's perspective, they usually don't care about certain disadvantages because as a technician I am the one who deploys and configures the planning and communication for them. In my opinion, most of the basic configurations of the switches are all the same.

In terms of Huawei specifically, the availability and the speed of the firmware updates are the only things wrong with Huawei. There are some vulnerabilities on the hardware. Cisco is good with releasing the patches. For Huawei, this aspect is problematic.

I would like to see performance improved, including wi-fi flexibility.

We have been working with Huawei Ethernet Switches for about four or five years. Our customers are using it.

Our clients are mixed - small, medium and large companies.

In terms of stability, I think it is a stable product. They are six years old. I haven't seen any hardware failure.

Their scalability is good. All the competition like Huawei or Cisco have their own scalability design. You can expand it.

The initial setup is ok. I think they're all the same common lines, they're all standard configuration. Everything's fine. For me, on the technical side, I didn't find any disadvantages.

The deployment time depends on the size, plan and design of the deployment.

We usually deploy it ourselves for the customer and they will call us if anything happens.

What other advice do I have?

I think Cisco has the advantage in terms of durability because they have been in existence for more than 20 years, whereas Huawei just started a few years back. Cisco has a big track record of experience, R&D, and more.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Huawei Ethernet Switches an eight. Overall, I would recommend this product.

Alaba Ayotunde O. OLUWAYIMIKA - PeerSpot reviewer
It Asset Management Lead at Dangote Industries Limited
Good pricing and operates well with Cisco, but needs more documentation
  • "Pricing-wise, Huawei is quite good."
  • "There needs to be more documentation. If they opened up a bit and shared more information and maybe allowed for YouTube videos about their products and how to work them, it would benefit the users quite a bit."

What is our primary use case?

We utilize the solution for asset layers and then also for the core. The ones around the core have been failing, and I've been replacing them as they fail with Cisco replacements.

What is most valuable?

The solution easily integrates and operates well with Cisco.

Pricing-wise, Huawei is quite good.

What needs improvement?

I've found that the Huawei switches around the core fail, or at least the 9300 series do. I've had to move to Cisco. They tend to freeze and cause problems on my network, so I've needed to replace them with a bigger Cisco switch that can handle the network more effectively.

With Cisco, there are a few particular routine protocols that are not supported on Huawei. Cisco has these proprietary routine protocols which they try to maintain. Since we have the two switches integrated together, it would be helpful if Huawei could offer a more open routine protocol that can be standardized, and they should offer the same protocols that are standard on Cisco on their service as well so that the switches can match up a bit more elegantly. It would be great if the two solutions could somehow actively collaborate a bit more together.

The solution needs to provide a lot more availability. There needs to be more information on the internet to help people more easily configure the solution, etc. Right now, if you need to know something or need to find something, you have to go directly to Huawei.

I've used the solution for over five years now.

The solution isn't completely stable. There are some glitches, but for the assets there, it doesn't cause me any real issues.

The solution is scalable, but it really depends on what you buy. The first core switch I bought was very scalable because they have almost eight channels and I could scale everything so easily. You can buy an appropriate switch to accommodate future groups that you can align, to gather to the core switches. Even if you don't make provisions for it you can actually scale, but it's better to plan ahead and know what you need.

We've reached out to technical support and have occasionally come across language barriers. Sometimes the person speaks English, and other times it's Chinese with English as a second language, and it can be difficult to converse and to describe the issues we are having. It would be better if they had more staff on hand that were able to communicate in English a bit better, but the help itself isn't too bad.

I currently also use Cisco switches. In fact, I'm slowly, as Huawei switches fail, subbing in Cisco switches. Currently, our network has both integrating with each other and working together. We're phasing out Huawei and we won't be using them anymore.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward if you are well trained on the solution. However, if you are not trained, then it may be more complex.

If you are trained, it's as simple. It just has a few different commands. With training, it's no problem.

I didn't directly handle the implementation myself. However, my team did.

What other advice do I have?

We are both an installer and considering becoming a Huawei partner.

About five years ago I began working with Huawei, and I decided then whenever they failed, I'd just replace the old ones with Cisco. However, after five years, many are still working, so we have a hybrid system where we use both Huawei and Cisco switches. However, whenever they do fail, I replace them with Cisco, so there may come a time int eh future where I will no longer be working with them and will have completely switched over to Cisco.

I don't have the exact version number, but I'm dealing with the 9300 core switch.

Although we are currently in the process of phasing out the Huawei switches in favour of Cisco, I'd still recommend the solution.

I'd rate the solution six out of ten.

it_user1034097 - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Manager
Regulates reports with great production and troubleshoots quickly
  • "The most valuable feature is the audit systems. I also like that it can synchronize on the alternate configuration of products together at the same time."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see an increase in the performance of DDoS protection systems against all kinds of attack packets."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for architecture, commissioning, provisioning, installation and product shooting, reports and networking from TV, IP broadbands, networks, large networks, longer networks, DWDM systems, IPTV server, SIT Server, POYT, and also CCTV networks for security cameras.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the audit systems. I also like that it can synchronize on the alternate configuration of products together at the same time.

What I like about Huawei is that it has a very fast response to troubleshooting problems and regulates reports with very great production. Instead of other manufacturers that are pretty slow sometimes to expand. That is why I work with Huawei and not other solutions. Other manufacturers should speed up their answers.

It's a problem when you have several large networks and the problem is not at a specific point, but many different problems together.

What needs improvement?

In the next release, I would like to see an increase in the performance of DDoS protection systems against all kinds of attack packets.

I have around 20 years of experience using Ethernet Switches.

In terms of stability, I think this is the best on the market.

I contact two places for support, Romania and China. I don't only use support for troubleshooting but also for conception and networks. I don't have any trouble with them.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a 9.5 out of ten. Not a ten because the life span of the solution is too short.

MuhittinAkar - PeerSpot reviewer
Hardware and Networks Support Executive at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to use and manage, and integrates well with other solutions
  • "Huawei Ethernet switches are easy to use and can be managed using either the GUI or via the command-line."
  • "One of the problems with Huawei is that when you receive a product quote from one of the vendors, you cannot get prices from the other ones because they register your request with Huawei."

What is our primary use case?

We use Huawei Ethernet Switches as part of our network.

How has it helped my organization?

We implemented 10G and Layer 3 supported switches with a lower cost. Our network connection our network application started to work faster. Also we stacked the switches and our availability increased.

What is most valuable?

Huawei Ethernet switches are easy to use and can be managed using either the GUI or via the command-line.

This solution integrates well with products from other vendors, such as Cisco.

What needs improvement?

We have a purchasing procedure. It says that if we want to buy a specific product or service we should get quotes from at least three companies. If we cannot get more than one quote we should find a similar product or service from a different vendor.

We had this issue last year. We needed 15 access points and we wanted to buy Huawei access points because our other devices were Huawei. I wanted a quote from three Huawei partner but only one of them sent the quote. Other partners said that Huawei did not send any quote
information because they send quote only one partner. We talked to Huawei regional sales manager but they said they can not do anything for this situation.

Because of this situation, I searched for the products of other vendors. Aruba sent three quotes from its different partners and their quotes were similar. And also they were cheaper than Huawei. Because of the cost factor, our purchasing department preferred to buy Aruba access points.

We had the same issue for the switches at around the end of 2019. Because I don't have time to search other vendors we canceled the purchasing and our budget for switches.

Now I don't have any spare products and I will be trouble if one of my switches fails.

I have been using Huawei Ethernet Switches for about three years.

The stability of these switches is good. They are very durable because one of the cooling fans in our data center failed and this solution was still working at about 50 degrees Celcius (122 degrees Fahrenheit). There was some latency but it was still working.

You can scale up this solution very easily. If you have enough ports at your core switch or main switch, then you can attach other switches. You have to write a couple of simple commands and then add the other switches.

There are 24 switches with about 400 devices and 200 users connected to them.

Local support is available in Turkey from two or three different partners. However, we rarely ask for support from Huawei because when you set up a deice it works properly and we rarely need to change anything. If you add a new device, such as an access point, then you may need to configure some ports but it is very rare. It happens two or three times a year in our organization.

Prior to this solution, I was using devices by Cisco. They are very nice but they are also very expensive. The cost is the reason that we switched.

Deploying this solution is easy. You just connect the cables.

One person is enough to maintain our 24 switches.

Huawei Ethernet switches have a price advantage over other solutions. You can buy about four Huawei switches for the price of one Cisco switch.

The exact pricing varies based on how many units you purchase. For example, if you buy one then it is expensive, but if you buy ten or more then there is a discount. I would expect the same would apply to larger purchases, such as a bulk discount for buying 100 or more units.

We also looked at network solutions by Aruba and HP. Our Huawei warranty will expire in 2023 and we may change the product, but we do not yet know. Before that time we will test other devices and decide whether or not to stay with Huawei. Replacing the switches would not be a problem for us.

What other advice do I have?

This is a very nice device and I recommend it.

Hybrid Cloud

Other
Ashok Braganza - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Consultant at Ministry of Justice
Good security features but a lack of resources and support
  • "The HTTP features for security are very good. We use all of the regular features."
  • "The GUI could be improved. It could be much more adaptable."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for user accessibility.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The software could be more stable. There are a lot of bugs reported for the IS portion.

The GUI could be improved. It could be much more adaptable.

We've been using the solution for six or seven months.

We haven't faced any issues with scalability yet. There was one issue on the client-side where our mainframes weren't working because of a change on the packet side. The solution needs to add overhead to the packets. We have about 10,000 users on the solution currently. We don't have plans to increase usage on the appliance.

We've had contact with technical support and they are okay. The amount of assistance they provide is average. The response time they offer is typically too long and should be shortened. A lot of issues take hours.

We use a variety of switches. Depending on the requirements, we use Huawei, Cisco, HP, or Aruba.

Most of our IT team members have a background in Huawei, so the solution is easy to set up.

We have contractors from Huawei come and handle the implementation for us since the solution is on-premises.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I'd rate the solution four out of ten. The OS, features, and usage aren't great. There's a lack of resources and support. There's also a lack of implementers and very few partners.

Founding Partner at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Inexpensive, good documentation and very good technical support
  • "They have the ability, since they have a very big R&D team, to create an upgrade for any feature or patch very easily."
  • "The interoperability of the devices, in general, on the Huawei switches is not good and is known to be not good. Maybe they can improve this a bit."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is an IoT router but we primarily use it as the layer for industrial switches for CCTV video transmission.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very inexpensive. The documentation is very good.

Technical support is also very good.

What needs improvement?

Troubleshooting documentation should be improved.

In terms of being able to patch quickly, if you have both a quality device, a quality switch that has a specific capability, Huawei won't necessarily have the same capability until a patch is created for it.

I've been using the solution for approximately one year.

I'm satisfied with the stability of their equipment. There are no crashes, unexpected events, outages, or reboots.

We've never tried to scale the solution, so I can't speak to how scalable it is. We do have a client with 1,000-5,000 employees.

We've been satisfied with the level of technical support we've received from the solution. We've used technical support a lot, and it's one of the main advantages of the solution overall.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's very easy. Initially, the implementation took longer than we thought. We set it up over a period of two or three weeks.

We deployed the solution ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

When compared to Cisco switches, the Huawei switches are a bit lower in quality. They have similar properties that the Cisco switches have. Often Huawei brings in the features to match the competition later, and, in general, the overall quality a bit lower. Sometimes, because of this, you might have some unexpected results. The documentation is generally good, but troubleshooting documents for some unusual bugs or glitches are never created.

I generally recommend Huawei switches because although they are lower quality, they are cheaper than other switches. If you compare the price to quality ratio, it's pretty good, which is why we bought them.

Initially, many users are tempted by the idea of getting something that's that cheap. I recommend users to explore and investigate how they will use the switches and what they will purchase. Huawei is both good and not good. It depends on how you look at. If you really want to go with Huawei, then just be aware that Huawei has interoperability problems with many other vendors. In this case, I'd recommend going with all Huawei products to avoid issues.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

it_user1118574 - PeerSpot reviewer
Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Stable, easy to setup and has good scalability options

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-premises model for our internet company. We only use it for that situation.

What is most valuable?

The velocity of the process is the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

Integration could be improved. The price could also be lower.

We've been using this solution for two years.

The solution is stable.

Huawei Switches are scalable. We have ten people that work on this solution, including engineers and other personnel.

Their technical support is very good, although I haven't been in touch with them directly yet.

The initial setup was straightforward. It took us one month to deploy this ourselves.

We have a one-year license. There are no additional costs besides the licensing fee.

What other advice do I have?

The stability is good. I also find value in the recollecting the materials.

I would rate the switches as eight out of ten. Not a ten mainly because of the price.

Download our free Huawei Ethernet Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022