Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Huawei Ethernet Switches OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Huawei Ethernet Switches is #12 ranked solution in top Ethernet Switches. PeerSpot users give Huawei Ethernet Switches an average rating of 7.4 out of 10. Huawei Ethernet Switches is most commonly compared to Cisco Ethernet Switches: Huawei Ethernet Switches vs Cisco Ethernet Switches. Huawei Ethernet Switches is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 57% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 34% of all views.
Huawei Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide

Download the Huawei Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Huawei Ethernet Switches?
Huawei SOHO & SMB Switches, an Energy-saving Ethernet access switches with service features that are easy to install and maintain. It has a S1700 Series Enterprise Switches that caters from small- to medium-sized businesses and Internet cafes.
Huawei Ethernet Switches Customers
Newcastle University, Jingyang District of Deyang City in Sichuan Province, Southwest China, Glasgow Rangers Soccer Team, RMIT, Insurance Industry Association of Zhejiang Province, China, APT Satellite Holdings Limited (APT)
Huawei Ethernet Switches Video

Huawei Ethernet Switches Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Huawei Ethernet Switches pricing:
  • "Huawei provides much better performance for the same price, even when taking into account very aggressive commercial policies."
  • "Compared to other brands, I think that the price is quite fair."
  • "From the initial purchase, you will pay for a license and you do not need to pay for a license again. The price depends on the size of the infrastructure."
  • Huawei Ethernet Switches Reviews

Director at Omnium Technologique (OMTEQ)
    Good pricing and better performance than the competition
    • "So far, so good when it comes to stability."
    • "We would like to see additional backup solutions, since we have several degrees of backup."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution in-house. The network we have is not a very large one and we have in the vicinity of 300 terminals. So, it is used with IP telephony.

We also use the solution for all the classic interactions between the terminals and memories, which is how these switches are classically used. This is different than the cases that we study and we tell our clients what to do since we are an engineering consultancy. So, we work with the government building for more than 3,000 access points. This would involve hospitals with 2,000 or more access points in respect of medical energy. We are currently working on towers building and are endeavoring to move into a passive optical local area network.

The switches will be replaced by splitters. This is a completely optical device by which the switch is at the office or the room end. I foresee this as the future, in which the entire layer of switches will disappear. I don't know if you are up to speed on the current trends, but these concern passive optical local area networks in which all the intelligent switching is in the main room with the big OLTs. In this case we are splitting an optical, meaning the fiber will go to the room or even to the device, not to the office. This will depend on whether the device has an optical interface.

So, we are making strides and advising our customers, which is not easy.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution did improve our organization. For example, we had an application, which is a building beam for building information modeling. This involved tremendous number crunching and many files involving the building engineering structure. We were suffering from latency from the network speed and had to make servers especially for this application. These servers are virtualized. Of course, the speed of the switches allowed us to have a stable installation especially for this application. We are talking about a major application, involving a software collaborative work such as Autodesk Revit.

We are now discovering these and are at ease with this new installation. We now feel at ease when it comes to working on this.

What needs improvement?

The price should be lowered as concerns flash backup. This would enable us to get rid of all of the mechanical, hard disks, as we currently have a mixture of flash and classic hard disks. I feel that technology is progressing fast enough and I believe that in the near future, within the next 12 months, we'll be able to add all flash backup systems to our solution. As for the switches, I think they will be all right for some time to come. If the network were to  improve sufficiently, we would be able to make more use of the cloud, even as concerns the telephone. However, this is not the case at present.

It is difficult for me to point to other areas needing improvement as we have been using the technology for a relatively short period, only around five months, and I am trying to digest what we have. My network engineers would be in a better position to address this issue. Also while our installation is not that large, we are working on huge projects. These are new to Morocco, consisting of two or three years, which is not that much.

This said, we would like to see additional backup solutions, since we have several degrees of backup. For the moment, the final one involves magnetic tapes, which is an IBM solution. We would like to take the thread of these magnetic tapes and have Huawei help us with strategic backup. One of the reasons we backup our system is for fear of ransomware, but we are required to backup everything by the end of each day or at the close of each week. It would be nice to see other solutions which would allow this, as I am not satisfied with the current one involving the use of magnetic tape.

I am not certain that using the cloud is a solution for the time being in Morocco. We are looking with Huawei at the possibility of using hardware. This is a point of concern.

Moreover, we would like to see more security applications. We have network security, such as Fortinet and Fortigate, but we would like to see Huawei come out with its own solution. Maybe this already exists but, if so, it is not yet very well known.

We are satisfied with the switches and, in our approximately six months experience, have not encountered problems. We have not had stoppages or buffer memory. What I would like to see is a complete solution in which the network security is integrated with the switching as well. This way, we could have a single source for the network and not need to rely on Fortinet and Fortigate.

As far as wifi access is concerned, we do have a system, I believe called HP Aruba, but it is old. It would be nice to see this integrated. We are not looking to change things in the short term, but to undertake a six to ten month overhaul involving the wifi and integration of 5G and IOT into our network.

We have been using Huawei Ethernet Switches for around five or six months. It's a new experience for us.

Huawei Ethernet Switches
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Huawei Ethernet Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.

So far, so good when it comes to stability. In the six months which have transpired since using the solution we have yet to encounter any problems. With Alcatel we encountered several problems over the same period. These were solved with internal memory of switches. With Dell we had to restart it to clean the buffers. Since we started using Huawei Ethernet Switches we have not even had occasion to call support. This is in contrast to our experience with Alcatel, although I must point out that they solved our issues rapidly.

The support is there and I did not have any problems with it. They intervene very quickly when the backup is there. They answer all questions and the online help line is efficient. It's very good. Huawei also has hundreds of engineers, including Chinese and Moroccan. So, it is well established, which is not the case with others. We have been working for many years with big telephone and communication companies and recently, about three years ago, they got involved in business applications. They have a policy, which is not in place from the beginning. They started to attack the business applications. They had the switches on the floor. I am talking about the Datacom, big structures. They then extended it with a great team. I believe they have involvement in 5G in Morocco, which will be operational by the end of the year, perhaps sooner. They are well established in this country.

There was a need for us to upgrade our network to one gigabit and to enable fiber channel capabilities. We contemplated all the options available in Morocco, meaning Alcatel, HP, Huawei and several others, all of the ones utilizing Oracle. In the past we made use of Avaya, as we are an engineering consultancy, meaning we deal with big offices and hospitals. So, we know about these things.

We considered all the capabilities of these switches, as well as the price and performance. We came to the realization that Huawei provides much better performance for the same price, even when taking into account very aggressive commercial policies. The prices were lower by 20 or 30 percent with more powerful features. Very importantly, we were able to to take out a five-year guarantee, with a four-year extension option. We are talking only about switches, not servers. In contrast, the other solutions only offered one to two years tops.

The deployment took some time and I would have liked it to be faster. It took a couple of weeks or so.

When it came to the initial setup I had my engineers do all the work. It took us a couple of months to decide on the configuration and to choose the switches.

This said, I would have to consult with our network engineers to properly address the initial installation. It is they who provided me with three detailed reports about the solution and its capacity.

I do know that we conducted meetings with HP, Huawei and Alcatel. While I don't know what the future of switching holds for the latter I can say that Alcatel is alright. With this company we had some installation done of high end products for a hotel.

The price is the best, 20 percent cheaper than apple to apple and with an extended warranty.

You should know that we also contemplated the Cisco Suite, but found it to be excessively expensive. It is simply overpriced. Even as Cisco is very established in Morocco, big telecom companies are going the route of Huawei and Nokia. Cisco provides its own passive optical solution. We are contemplating the solutions offered by IBM, Nokia, Cisco and Huawei and our focus is on big installations campus-wise and on big hotels. We are trying to introduce the passive optical technologies, with all the advantages they offer.

What other advice do I have?

We are dealing with all these things in our office. We now have ease when it comes to back-up. We have a very fast spotted system with hard disk storage of 36 terabytes, meaning it is a mixed hybrid which combines flash disks and classic CDs. I am talking about the interface. The old 32 terabyte flash is extremely expensive. We are a mid-sized company, not very big. So our approach is to have this hybrid flash storage system, which allows us considerable speed but with a reasonable price.

As mentioned, our solution is a hybrid. We have certain applications in the cloud, such as office 365. We have other applications, such as engineering software. We also have it in private cloud. For the time being we have a mixed solution as we cannot, at present, put everything in the cloud. In Morocco, the internet connection speed is good but it can be better, since we have huge files with which we must work interactively.

So, sometimes we work on-site and then the file will be stored in the cloud, but all the number crunching is used in working stations on the site, not PCs.

Internally there are around 70 users making use of the solution in our organization and externally around 40 engineers and technicians who are connected to our network country-wide. We even have our mailing system in-house. We use an English-based electronic document, such as PDF, which we have in the cloud. For the moment, our solution is a hybrid between the scientific and office application.

We are using the solution daily and it comprises our entire network, all our work. If it stops we lose money. We use it all the time. Of course, we have the standby generator and all the redundancy of static uninterruptible power supplies, since a single hour of stoppage would equal thousands of euros lost. We are very careful about that. We have one or two configured switches so we can just plug it in and continue to work. We have yet to encounter this problem.

My advice to others who are considering implementing the solution is to negotiate aggressively. Huawei is very good at negotiating, but it is important for the consumer to know the nuts and bolts of the proposal and to derive from it the maximum. Someone with technical knowledge can get many more concessions from Huawei than one without.

I rate Huawei Ethernet Switches as an eight out of ten, as nothing is perfect. This is because the deployment took some time and I would have liked it to be faster.

Information Security Manager at a recruiting/HR firm with 201-500 employees
    Well-priced but out-dated and not scalable
    • "If you're a small one-on-one organization, then cost-effective-wise, I would recommend it."
    • "It is not easy to use if you need to monitor, patch or update. It needs to be configured by a network specialist because it doesn't have an overall central monitoring tool or anything like that. I'd say no ease of use."

What is our primary use case?

At the moment we are putting in a virtual Juniper SRX within our network to replace the Huawei points in our data centers, and we're upgrading our site infrastructure, switches and routers to Junipers. We are going from Huawei, which we haven't been happy with because they're not within our security listings and need updating, to Juniper switches and routers and Sophos access points. The routers and switches that we're replacing with the Junipers and the Sophos access points are within our sites to run the wifi access points.

What is most valuable?

At the time, for our sized organization, they were cost-effective, fit for purpose, and risk assessed to go in accordingly because they were cheap, and they have lasted, but now it doesn't give us the ability to do what we need because we've grown exponentially in the last eight or nine years.

The one thing is those products were cost effective, and for what they did, their costing is a lot cheaper than any Juniper or any other product out there. But if you need scalability, normal monitoring tools, backup and switches, they're not going to be the product for a team.

What needs improvement?

They're not easy to monitor or bring in and feed and make sure that all our networks are running correctly. We are predominantly in regional Australia, which means that we have a lot of remote usages and we're not getting the ability to do the next level of IT needed to make sure that I can monitor and make sure that the network is stable with the Huawei stuff. If anything goes wrong, I haven't been able to patch them because they're end of license and you can't patch them any more. Their security is not within our standards.

Huawei's switches could be more secure, more monitorable, and better scalable but that's because they're so old. They're not fit for our purpose under our government contracts any more. We're not allowed to use any Huawei products.

We have been using Huawei switches for about eight years. They are now end of life, out of license, and out of warranty. I've inherited a very old infrastructure that I'm currently upgrading. I've even got an old Huawei 1960 voiceover IP component, but that's another story.

In terms of scalability, eight or so years ago, there would have been less than 200 staff using it compared to the 420 at the moment.

The initial setup was much like any switch or router. It wasn't a problem at the time, and they were able to be configured. I'm talking eight-plus years ago, though. I haven't put one in for a very long time.

To install across 80 sites took about six weeks.

Because we had to open up sites over a six to eight week period, we outsourced a lot of the work to local contractors through the different areas and locations.

It was a one-off licensing for Huawei that wasn't upgraded so there's no ability now to configure our upgrade. We purchased the hardware with the inbuilt license eight years ago and we haven't been charged for any licensing since then.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Huawei Ethernet Switches a four.

I do not recommend this solution on the basis of scalability, monitoring and security.

It is not easy to use if you need to monitor, patch or update. It needs to be configured by a network specialist because it doesn't have an overall central monitoring tool or anything like that. I'd say no ease of use. If you're a small one-on-one organization, then cost-effective-wise, I would recommend it. But in a company our size, it's not scalable.

Huawei Ethernet Switches
    September 2022
    633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Moses NYOTA - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Software and Cloud Engineer at Velocis Technologies LLC
    Easy to set up and cheaper than other options but it's hard to get support
    • "They're straightforward to set up."
    • "It’s hard to get technical support."

What is our primary use case?

Most of the Huawei routers we use are for alternative network connections. For example, we have our fiber internet, which is connected through Cisco. However, during downtime, we connect Huawei to the 4G network through their routers. They provide an alternative connection. They also provide Wi-Fi on the premises.

What is most valuable?

The basic features are great. We can connect to the internet through SIM cards, through the phone network, to 4G and 5G networks.

It provides Wi-Fi on the premise and basic switching and routing capabilities on facilities.

They're straightforward to set up. Even a non-technical user can just take a Huawei Switch with a few lines of documentation, and they're able to put them online. They have the ability to use them even a totally new or non-technical user. It's a bit easier to use.

What needs improvement?

It’s hard to get technical support.

I’ve been using the solution for two years.

They are less stable than Cisco, however. They are quite stable. They're acceptable.

The solution is scalable.

We have between 400 to 500 users, depending on the number of people in the office. On Fridays, when everybody has to come to the office, we have around 500 people.

The tech support is not very good. It's a bit hard to get tech support for Huawei products.

We use Cisco and Huawei.

The initial setup is very straightforward and very easy.

It takes minutes to set up Huawei products. It's very easy and straightforward, and the beauty with them is that they provide an automated setup. You only click next, next, and do so under very good guidance. Or if you have to put a password, there is an explanation there on how to put a password that may meet these security standards. It's self-explanatory. You can easily set it up.

We did not require outside help. For example, we did not require any external service at our site and even at our client site. Since we provide integrated services, it's so easy for us, even when we go to client sites.

From the experience that our clients have had, if we deliver Huawei products, they can set it up themselves without requiring an integrator.

Users pay once, and then they have the solution. You don’t need to constantly pay for licensing. They're also cheaper than competitor programs.

What other advice do I have?

We’re using the latest version. I don't know the exact version that we have. They're updated year after year.

I recommend them. They're good, they're stable, and they are easy to set up. For people who don't have any technical background, I would recommend Huawei.

I’d rate the solution seven out of ten.

Vicente Manuel - PeerSpot reviewer
    Information Security Technician at OMNIdata
    complex to set up, caused issues with integration, and the stability was not ideal
    • "They last quite a while."
    • "We had a few issues with integration."

What is our primary use case?

We use the product for Layer Three and Layer Two distribution and access.

What is most valuable?

We've used the solution for a long time. They last quite a while.

What needs improvement?

I already had a background with Cisco, so getting used to their system was a little bit complex. The way you configure a VLAN in an access port or in a VLAN to be allowed in the trunk was totally different. They have a concept there with hybrid VLAN, and it kind of made things complex for me.

We had a few issues with integration.

In the company, we're using Huawei wireless and the wireless controller, and those switches are the ones that made the transition between the clients and the WiFi server, and we had a few problems.

Some switches in our network are end-of-life. They shouldn't be there anymore. They're too old. They have already improved lots of things, however, the mistakes here will fall on our laps as we are using end-of-life devices, and they don't give support anymore for that.

We've used the solution for five years or more.

It wasn't that stable at all. We had lots of issues due to the definitions, or due to the way they set up VLANs or the types of VLANs. We gave room for Layer Two Mac addresses. We had always the need to go there and reboot that switch or unplug a cord or LAN cable from there.

We didn't just scale it. We only had seven switches. They worked well, however, we had lots of issues with flooding.

We didn't use technical support. I wouldn't be able to rate their services.

I've used Cisco in the past.

The initial setup was complex. I'd rate it two out of five in terms of ease of setup. It was a bit difficult.

We handled the initial setup in-house. We didn't have any outside technicians or consultants.

There aren't any licensing costs. It's a one-off payment at the beginning and then you can use them for as long as you like. If you want to expand or use another service, you do need to pay for that, however.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure if the company has a business relationship with Huawei. We might have in the past. I'm not sure if that is still the case.

I'd advise potential new users to first get the concepts right before implementing them.

I'd rate the solution a four out of ten. It wasn't good, but it wasn't terrible.

Sintayehu Alemu - PeerSpot reviewer
    Director Of Information Communication Technology at Dire dawa University
    Works well, offers good functionality, and is reasonably priced
    • "The functionality is basically the same as Cisco."
    • "The documentation needs to be better."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for access and distribution switches.

What is most valuable?

The functionality is great. The functionality is basically the same as Cisco. However, with Cisco, some protocols are standard proprietary on the Cisco side. Also, with Huawei, some protocols are proprietary.

The pricing is much lower than, for example, Cisco.

It works quite well in general.

What needs improvement?

We haven't had anything to complain about yet.

The documentation needs to be better. When you run into issues, it's hard to figure out what might be wrong by referencing it.

We deployed the solution five months ago.

For the time being, the stability is very good. Much like RUCKUS, which we deployed five months ago, we need time to really evaluate its stability. It's still quite new.

We have about 120 Huawei switches. We also have 200 Cisco switches, so we have a lot.

Our users might use one or the other as they are interspersed throughout the organization. I can't give an exact number of users at any given time as they are mixed with Cisco. These devices basically work as one.

We haven't dealt with technical support yet. I can't speak to how helpful they would be.

We also use Cisco switches and firewalls as well. We use Ruckus as well. They are mainly for wireless access.

The initial setup is not like Cisco. If I had a problem with Cisco devices, I can look at the documentation and come up with a solution. I will find anything on the global site. However, with Huawei, it is difficult to find or interpret any fixes in the documentation, in the manuals. Cisco is better in that sense. Huawei is less clear when it comes to documenting everything.

There is a bit of maintenance required with the product.

We did have a company come and help us implement the switches. They also helped us with our Cisco solutions.

The pricing is reasonable. In comparison to Cisco, it's good.

That said, I can't speak to exact pricing as that is handled by the finance team.

What other advice do I have?

We are customers and end-users.

The solution has been pretty solid so far. I'd rate it nine out of ten simple due to the fact that we have not run into any problems.

I'd advise those considering using Huawei that Huawei and the Cisco switches are the same. They only really differ in some manual configurations. It is good to try them out. While everything, of course, has its pros and cons, Huawei is a decent product.

Manager Infrastructure and Security (SCADA) at a marketing services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Good support, great pricing, and offers an easy initial setup
    • "Scalability isn't an issue."
    • "The company needs to provide more on hand training on the product."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for connecting internal users to access systems, switch to switch.

What is most valuable?

The pricing is quite good.

We find the support to be helpful.

The solution has been stable so far.

Scalability isn't an issue.

The initial setup is pretty simple.

What needs improvement?

The company needs to provide more on hand training on the product.

They should market the product more so that companies are more aware of its existence and what it can do for them. Huawei should highlight some more use cases to help companies understand more about what they can do.

I've been using the solution for two years.

We find the solution to be stable. I haven't dealt with crashes or freezing. There are no bugs or glitches. it's a reliable product.

The scalability is very good. It's not an issue if a company needs to expand it.

The solution works well for small, medium, and large-scale organizations.

Support has been great. They are helpful and responsive. We're quite happy with the level of service we receive.

We did use Cisco and a few other products before we used this solution. We tried it out and really liked its capabilities.

It's not a hard solution to set up. I wouldn't describe the process as overly complex.

We had a third-party vendor assist with the implementation process.

The cost is reasonable. It's not an expensive solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the product at an eight out of ten overall.

I'd advise potential new users to try it out. I recommend it. Its pricing is great.

IT Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 201-500 employees
    Reasonably priced, stable, and easy to set up
    • "The Huawei switches are stable, easy to set up, and cheap."
    • "The graphical user interface could be much better."

What is our primary use case?

This product is used in our network infrastructure for normal office use.

What is most valuable?

The Huawei switches are stable, easy to set up, and cheap.

What needs improvement?

The graphical user interface could be much better.

The vendor needs to make a better marketing effort to promote this product because you don't find a lot of good articles promoting it. Other brands are more aggressive in marketing.

In the future, I would like to see a feature that includes a dynamic picture of all of the ports, and what is connected to them. The functionality may be there, but I haven't seen it yet. Being able to see what is going through the ports would be helpful.

I have been working with Huawei Ethernet Switches for approximately five years.

We have not had any issues with glitches or bugs, so it has been stable.

We have not had any limitations in terms of scalability. We have fewer than 100 users.

I have not had an issue that necessitated contacting technical support.

We have Cisco products in addition to Huawei.

We have an in-house team for deployment and maintenance.

Compared to other brands, I think that the price is quite fair. I don't require them to be much cheaper, as it's already fair.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this product is not to be afraid of it, just because Huawei is not a true American brand. It is an international brand. When you use it, you have the feeling that it can do even more than some Cisco or Fortinet products. The technology and brand name are good, so my advice is to trust it.

Pre-sales engineer at Redington Middle East
    User friendly environment, extremely stable, easy deployment, with a price point that is hard to beat
    • "It is easy to understand all the features of Huawei Switches."
    • "I would like to see some improvements in the access layer switch that is available in Aruba."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Huawei Ethernet Switches within the education, and oil and gas banking industry.

What is most valuable?

I have found the most valuable features are search, about, EQS, MPLS, and iStack.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Huawei Ethernet Switches for the past six years.

Huawei Ethernet Switches are definitely reliable.

The scalability of Huawei Ethernet Switches is excellent.

I would rate technical support a nine out of ten. I was very satisfied with their level of support.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

I was using Cisco Aruba HP Engine previously and switched because Huawei Ethernet Switches are user-friendly. I think the advantage of the Huawei Ethernet Switch is its stability. It is easy to understand all the features of Huawei Switches here in the region.

Huawei Ethernet Switches initial setup is definitely straightforward and went smoothly.

We were able to deploy Huawei Ethernet Switches in-house.  It is very easy to deploy the switches.

From the initial purchase, you will pay for a license and you do not need to pay for a license again. The price depends on the size of the infrastructure. It currently costs around eighty dollars a switch for a one-time payment. I think the price point is great for the product.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and I would rate Huawei Ethernet Switches a nine out of ten.

Download our free Huawei Ethernet Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022