Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

HelpSystems Automate OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

HelpSystems Automate is #12 ranked solution in best RPA tools. PeerSpot users give HelpSystems Automate an average rating of 7.6 out of 10. HelpSystems Automate is most commonly compared to UiPath: HelpSystems Automate vs UiPath. HelpSystems Automate is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 57% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 18% of all views.
HelpSystems Automate Buyer's Guide

Download the HelpSystems Automate Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is HelpSystems Automate?
Modular dealership management system that includes service dispatching, accounts payable, vehicle merchandising, parts invoicing.

HelpSystems Automate was previously known as Automate.

HelpSystems Automate Customers
Aldergrove Financial Group, Preferred Health Professionals, Mindbeam Technologies, First Credit Union in British Columbia, Vestcom International, Prime Liberty Benefits, University of Tampa, CNLBancshares, World Precision Instruments, BJ's Restaurants, Globe Pequot Press, Accudata Technologies, Norton Healthcare, Pacific Toxicology Laboratories
HelpSystems Automate Video

Archived HelpSystems Automate Reviews (more than two years old)

Jack Frano - PeerSpot reviewer
Principal at Adaptive Growth, Inc
Reseller
Good technical support and the drag and drop interface makes it easy to use
  • "The most valuable feature is the drag-and-drop interface, which is very Windows-like."
  • "The vendor is currently working on a solution that allows us to automatically create a process that is based on a document that we receive via email."

What is our primary use case?

Adaptive Growth is a reseller for HelpSystems' AutoMate Robotic Process Automation software system. Our primary target markets are manufacturing and distribution companies. We also feel that nursing homes and trucking companies are markets that RPA will provide tremendous benefits in operational cost reductions. HelpSystem's PDF and email integration into business software workflows is a great benefit for most any company.

How has it helped my organization?

As a reseller of HelpSystems' AutoMate RPA the product will grow our business because of the dramatic operational cost reductions it offers to our customers. Especially when a buyer of AutoMate can grow their business without the associated cost of hiring new employees--a tremendous benefit of RPA.

Companies that take the time to learn and understand AutoMate RPA will want to invest in the product for the benefits it offers, the operational cost reductions it provides and its quick ROI.

What is most valuable?

Technical support and marketing support is terrific.

The documentation is online and it's very good.

The integration is excellent. For example, it will integrate with SAP very easily. It's  API

(application programming interface) is easy to use when and where where required.

What needs improvement?

Adaptive Growth finds that AutoMate satisfies the workflow and repetitive business processes of most any company we would address. The product's improvement will come mostly from its users which has been the case.

HelpSystems Automate
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about HelpSystems Automate. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Adaptive Growth has been working with HelpSystems AutoMate for about nine months.

This is a very stable product.

AutoMates scalability will satisfy most any company's growth requirements.

Technical support is terrific.

We worked with company a company that sold and implemented UiPath and AGI had a trial version of Kofax RPA

The initial setup is straightforward and very easy. A user company just needs to follow the the implementation steps.

Adaptive Growth implemented AutoMate without outside help.

Customers of AutoMate will realize their ROI within 90 to 120 days from their go-live date. However, that is dependent on the business requirements for a specific project's workflow is properly defined and documented so it meets that workflows business expectations,

We especially like the way AutoMate is priced. Our customers can license it or pay a one-time purchase price dependent on the number of users.

We were looking at UiPath and Kofax, and we chose HelpSystems and AutoMate because the product is so Windows like and easy to use.

What other advice do I have?

Our advice for any company who is implementing RPA including AutoMate is to make sure that the requirements for a specific process are clearly defined and documented.

Overall, we find that this is a good product and it's easy to learn and implement. A buyer of Automate RTA never has to become dependent on an RPA implementation company or a consulting firm and its associated costs.

That said, the principals at AGI have been in the software industry for 35 plus years selling and implementing software systems that address critical business requirements and expectations, we know that a software project will fail when those expectations are not met.

We would rate this solution a eight out of ten.

Other
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: AGI is a reseller of Help Systems' Automate
Chief Technology Officer at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
An interface that is intuitive and easy to use, and it saves us time spent on manual processes
  • "The interface is simple, user-friendly, and very intuitive."
  • "The OCR for Hebrew text needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our use case for this solution is in the HR department. We are a company that has external consultants that perform services for other companies, and each employee has to give us reports describing their hours each month. Based on these reports, we charge the customer accordingly.

We have PDF files that are scanned and sent to us by phone. These are from our employees on the customer's site, and our human resources personnel review them afterward. The reports are compared with our in-house system, the files are reviewed, and the hours are approved. Once this is complete, an invoice is sent to the customer.

How has it helped my organization?

Prior to using AutoMate, our process of collecting reports from employees was manual.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease of use. The interface is simple, user-friendly, and very intuitive. We have a software development group and we expected to have to do some programming, but we didn't have to. Everything was already built-in, within the system.

This solution is very efficient. It took us only four hours to develop our bot that automates the process, and two people were involved in the development.

It would be nice to have an EBI connector for AutoMate.

What needs improvement?

The OCR for Hebrew text needs to be improved. The recognition of Hebrew characters is not the strongest part of AutoMate.

I have been using HelpSystems AutoMate for about six months.

We have only implemented the process in the HR department, which has approximately 400 employees. Our intention is to implement it for other uses, as well.

I contacted technical support when we had an issue with a PDF file. They responded very quickly, within six or seven hours. After speaking with them, they provided us with a solution to the problem within two hours.

We also use UiPath, although this is for other departments in the company. For the HR department, everything was done manually.

I think that the main purpose of this tool is the automation of internal processes. This is unlike their competitors, who deal mainly with business processes. If this were a customer service application, for example, then I would probably use a different product.

The initial setup was easy. One person is required for deployment and maintenance.

Our in-house team handled the deployment.

We save more than 200 person-hours per month.

Everything that I used was already built into the system, so we did not have to pay any costs beyond the standard licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

There are third-party applications that integrate with AutoMate, although we did not have a need to use any of them.

Overall, this is a pretty nice product and I really recommend it because it is very easy to use. We also save a lot of money, just with one bot.

HelpSystems Automate
September 2022
635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Manager at a consultancy with 201-500 employees
Has a short learning curve for new hires who automate processes for our clients
  • "This product is quite easy to install, learn, and use, with our new employees being able to start using it in projects for clients after only two weeks of internal training."
  • "While this solution is continually improving, as it is now, the user interface could use improvement when I compare it to a product like UiPath."

What is our primary use case?

We are a service provider and we use this solution to automate processes for our clients. Our customers are in a variety of businesses including banking, insurance, energy, and healthcare. There are lots of use cases, especially in the insurance and banking industries, but we are expanding into other industries as well.

An example use case for our clients is the automation of invoice payments.

What is most valuable?

Compared to other products, the pricing model for this solution is much more convenient, flexible, and adaptable to the Portuguese reality.

Key automation features: email, FTP/SFTP, OCR, ODBC, terminal emulation.

Main benefits: Full Client-Server Architecture, Multi-Machine Execution, Centralized Management Interface, Graphical Workflows, Intuitive Task Development & Debugging.

What needs improvement?

While this solution is continually improving, as it is now, the user interface could use improvement when I compare it to a product like UiPath. Specifically, the Automate Enterprise interface needs improvement.

When you are promoting packages within the environment, it is easy to extract an import, but it would be better to have it all in the same console. As it is now, you have to extract the package separately. The environments should be able to communicate; you push the button, click on deploy, and it goes straight to the production environment.

Increasing the integration with other databases would be an improvement.

Sometimes my team reports situations where there are some unexpected errors from the tool. For example, if a Java error is reported then it doesn't mean anything at all to the end-user. This is an area that may also have room for improvement, although, at perhaps two or three times in a project, this does not happen often.

In my opinion, so far, the scalability seems to be good. However, I would not say that the scenarios I have seen are very difficult.

We have seven or eight clients using this solution, and only one or two have more than fifteen or twenty processes that have been automated. Having this number of processes with three to four robots, running twenty-four hours per day, is not a difficult test.

The roles of the people using this product vary depending on the client. In the Portuguese market, it is common to have one department that manages the robots for the entire organization. Normally, this is not the IT department. I know of only a few cases where robots are spread across different departments. Usually, a dedicated team or four to five people will manage, evaluate reports, corrects errors, and implement new requests.

So far, I am really happy with the technical support. The delay is between one and two days.

In all of our requests so far, we have had a response in one day's time. Sometimes the response is not final, but then they put us in contact with somebody who has the right knowledge, so it is good.

At my previous company, I worked with UiPath and Blue Prism. My experience with UiPath is between two and three years, and I worked with Blue Prism for a long time as well.

My reason for switching was one of personal opinion. In my previous company, we always used one of the big four. In my current company, I wanted to approach things a bit differently. I believe that there are many players in the market that also have good tools, and are more competitive. All of these tools are growing together, and we ultimately settled on this solution.

The initial setup is quite easy for us, although this is in part because we have been working with the partner for a long time. We have lots of direct connections for support, so if we have a problem that is a show-stopper, or something urgent, then we have a direct channel that bypasses the usual help desk.

We handle the integration of the solution from beginning to end.

The pricing model is the biggest advantage of this solution, and it is opening a lot of doors.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is quite easy to install and to manage for most processes between environments. Everything related to usability and automation is really quite close to the leading candidates, and using this product has been a good experience.

My advice to others who are implementing this solution is to start small. This is something that we always tell our clients. Rather than look at the larger responsibilities, start small to test and to gain confidence from several areas within the organization. Once you have three, four, five, or even ten processes automated, start looking at everything that is related to governance. At the same time, do not be afraid to start, even if you don't have everything planned from the beginning.

I would rate this solution an nine out of ten.

Computer Services & Infrastructure Manager at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Unique feature is the ability to use a database as a trigger to launch a task
  • "A great feature that you seldom see in these kind of systems is the ability to use a database as trigger to launch a task. This is something I asked for a few years ago and that was added."
  • "I would like to see some better web automation, a wizard like the one in the product WinAutomation would be very nice."

What is most valuable?

It's difficult to say which feature is the most valuable as there are so many, each a must-have for any automation system. A great feature that you seldom see in these kind of systems is the ability to use a database as trigger to launch a task. This is something I asked for a few years ago and that was added.

How has it helped my organization?

We use AutoMate to interface different systems with each other, as an EDI tool, as an FTP tool, to automate AD reporting.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see some better web automation, a wizard like the one in the product WinAutomation would be very nice. Showing the global variables of a workflow in a task when you select it, which variable some result should be stored in. Now, you can't see the global variables but have to type them, which works but isn't ideal.

About eight years I think.

In some older versions there were some instabilities, but the latest version (v.11) seems very stable.

No, you can scale very easily by adding agent licenses and deploying these agents on different computers. You can see these agents as small runtimes of the actual BPA server. This way you can deploy the workflows across the agents and spread the load between the different computers. You can also add development licenses to allow more concurrent developers connecting to the AutoMate console.

Download our free HelpSystems Automate Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022