IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

GoToWebinar OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

GoToWebinar is #16 ranked solution in top Virtual Meetings tools. PeerSpot users give GoToWebinar an average rating of 8 out of 10. GoToWebinar is most commonly compared to Zoom: GoToWebinar vs Zoom. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 22% of all views.

Download the Virtual Meetings Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2022

What is GoToWebinar?
Web conferencing SaaS for larger webinars
GoToWebinar Customers
Avigilon Corporation, Bitdefender, British Library's Business & IP Centre, Business Wire, Clarity, Colt, Conversion Rate Experts, Cornerstone Home Lending Inc., DemandGen, DPR Construction
GoToWebinar Video

Archived GoToWebinar Reviews (more than two years old)

Nitin Kadam - PeerSpot reviewer
Owner at Future Communications
Less disturbance, less jitter, and voice is always good even at a low bandwidth
  • "All of their features are good. They are more or less equivalent to the competition. There's less disturbance, less jitter, the voice is always good even at a low bandwidth."
  • "Some of my friends also use GoToWebinar to collect clients for affiliate marketing. In those cases, they found some features were missing with respect to some of the competition. And the worst part is the price."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is to connect with my clients, my new customers, and also for office meetings. It's for internal and external communications.

What is most valuable?

All of their features are good. They are more or less equivalent to the competition. There's less disturbance, less jitter, and the voice is always good even at a low bandwidth. That is what I think makes it a number one for me over the other competition. There are several others but they have issues if there are a large number of participants, then the front-end, the screen, is jittery and the voice breaks down. GoToWebinar is not like this.

What needs improvement?

I have been using GoToWebinar for six months.
May 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about LogMeIn, Cisco, ReadyTalk and others in Virtual Meetings. Updated: May 2022.
607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is very stable.

I have not scaled so far. I believe, we just have to upgrade the license and pay the charges. I haven't had the need to scale my operation so far. We use it on a regular basis, once or twice a week.

We haven't had a need to contact technical support at this point in time.

The initial setup was extremely easy and extremely straightforward. In fact, the first time they set it up, there is an icon at the bottom of the screen where if you click, there are three modes of training available:  They give a training in person or rather online training. And you have to ask for a training time.  The second one is documentation  The third option is when you can have online training on our own. You can learn the features one by one. I just went through the third option and it was all okay. I mean, about 90% of the features I could do on the first try.

They've got three levels of licensing and it all depends on the number of participants and not the number of features. I believe the number of features is the same for all of the levels. It all depends on the number of participants, 250, 500, or 1000, that kind of.

What other advice do I have?

Login to GoToWebinar, register yourself, and start using it. You'll be up and ready, working within half an hour, 45 minutes, because you will have to read those how to configure it online. It can take a total of 30 to 35 minutes. It's a breeze. I would rate it an eight out of ten. To make it a ten there are some facilities that other competitors have where they are able to gather customers automatically. Automation is there in the webinar. These small additions add up the value.

Telecom Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to use with a simple, browser-based interface
  • "The interface is browser-based and simple, which is an advantage over other solutions."
  • "GoToWebinar would be improved with the inclusion of support for video endpoints."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for some of our online meetings and webinars.

What is most valuable?

GoToWebinar is easy to use. It is simple to join a webinar that is being hosted.

What needs improvement?

I have had no problems with respect to stability.

I have used Zoom recently for video conferencing, and to a lesser extent, I have used GoToMeeting. However, I have never hosted a meeting with GoToMeeting. Rather, I have joined some that I have been invited to.

The main product that I use for video conferencing and virtual meetings is Webex. I prefer it because it is feature-rich, supports all of my devices, and it can be integrated with my on-premises call manager.

The initial setup is easy.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good product that is simple to use but I would rather use Webex for video conferencing.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

May 2022
607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Faculty Specialist at a training & coaching company with 51-200 employees
Good scheduling capability with no time limits, but the interface and technical support need improvement
  • "I can extract the activity and the attendance reports, along with every single question that was asked during the webinar, which is a feature that we highly value."
  • "The sharing of cameras is limited to meeting organizers."

What is our primary use case?

I am currently evaluating web conferencing solutions and GoToWebinar is one of the products on my shortlist. I am using it for meetings and training sessions.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is scheduling, which is quite simple and you can schedule a regular session with multiple occurrences. I have not found another platform where you can do this easily.

There are no time limits, which is really good because many webinar products put a limit on how long you can record for.

What needs improvement?

The user interface is a little bit complicated and needs to be improved. Not every feature is on display. If you have to give someone training on GoToWebinar, it's always an hour for them to be able to go through the features, whereas with other platforms, everything is on display and easy to see. For example, the question section for an instructor is quite hard to see and difficult for them to keep up with the chat that is happening versus other webinar solutions. A better interface would improve this.

The sharing of cameras is limited to meeting organizers.

Technical support needs to be improved.

The price of this solution could be a little cheaper.

In the future, I would like the option to have a post-session survey on the session, as opposed to only on the event.

My company has been using GoToWebinar for years but I have been using it for about eight months.

GoToWebinar is stable but sometimes there is a problem with high-speed internet. Any trouble with the internet for either the instructor or the attendee will be a big problem and this is an issue that we constantly face. The internet is key.

The organizer has the ability to share their screen but unlike solutions such as Zoom, many people cannot share their screen at one time. It is limited to the organizers.

The technical support is quite bad. I faced several technical problems and the first time, they told me that I had to call within two hours of experiencing the issue. The next time, when I called within two hours, they told me that I had to call while the issue was occurring. Then, when I called as it was happening, they said that they could not assist me. So, in the end, they were never able to help me.

They do not have a feature for emailing questions. Instead, they have a board where you can ask questions and they get back to you. I find this difficult.

The one good thing is that they have a lot of resources online that you can get help from.

I have experience using Zoom, as well as other web conferencing solutions.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It is simple and easy.

It only takes a few minutes to deploy. When you first start you simply access your account to schedule your webinar. It will make a difference if you schedule a multi-session, but if it's a single session then it takes less than a minute.

It is a monthly subscription and the price is quite expensive if you're not paying annually.

I am currently evaluating several web conferencing solutions including Adobe Connect Learning, WebinarJam, Livestorm, and Blackboard.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Michelle Schoen - PeerSpot reviewer
Co-Owner at a training & coaching company with 1-10 employees
We've used it for a webinar that had 2,000 attendees, and it scaled to that

What is most valuable?

• The ability to answer questions without everyone seeing all the questions.
  • They have really crystal clear nice recordings.
  • The ability to be able to take screening mouth control from people.
  • It's very smooth to be able to change presenters back and forth.
  • The ability to do polls.

How has it helped my organization?

We use GoToWebinar to do live pitch webinars and sales webinars. We use it to create all of our courses, as well.

We do training courses and our business pretty much revolves around using this tool for most of what we do. An example is that we created maybe 15 products based on doing live webinars, then turning them into courses.

What needs improvement?

It's a little pricier than the others. They could make it a little cheaper.

Eight years.

Earlier on, but not in the last two years.

When we first started using it eight years ago, we had some issues with the sound quality, and that's what I was thinking about when I was thinking stability. But the sound is much better, and in the last three or four years, the sound quality has really improved, and we never really had problems with it crashing or kicking us off.

We've used it for a webinar that had 2,000 attendees, and it scaled to that. We've not gone past that amount of attendees.

I'd give it a 10 out of 10. We've been able to get through, and they've answered our questions. We haven't had to call technical support in the last couple years.

Starting out eight years ago, I tried about eight different webinar tools, but I don't remember what they were back, because a lot of them aren't even around anymore. Back then, I tried all the popular tools, then I just picked GoToWebinar because it was the most stable.

You just download it.

There are other solutions that are less expensive. We are sticking with GoToWebinar because we have been using it. It's easy to use. Also, we got grandfathered in, because we used it eight years ago. They've never changed our pricing. I know the price is a lot more expensive now for brand new people.

We would try other solutions out for a few weeks, then we would have problems. So after trying out so many other ones, we just finally found GoToWebinar, and it was the best for the time.

What other advice do I have?

Have someone jump on for the first couple of times. I think that's really helpful, but I also feel like if they're gonna do it on their own, they need to practice. Use the practice feature of GoToWebinar and have a friend or something watch them on a viewer, and actually practice the features that they're gonna use so they feel comfortable, or they can use it alone. They don't have to do a live webinar. They can use it without anybody on it, then just put out the recording.

it_user742797 - PeerSpot reviewer
User at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Live polls help me gauge audience needs and adjust webinar content on the fly

What is most valuable?

GoToWebinar polls help me quickly gauge, upfront, the audience’s interest in topics and their current level of knowledge. This helps me adjust the agenda upfront and deliver the best training content. I also use polls at the end to gauge what they have learned and where they need follow-up.

How has it helped my organization?

I use the product for training. I send handouts prior to the webinar and love the ability to flip between my slides, handouts, and the application I’m teaching, during a webinar. Webinars eliminate some travel and allow us to offer short training sessions to our geographic area.

What needs improvement?

I haven’t looked at the recording and storage features lately. We record with Camtasia so we can do some basic editing and adjust audio as needed. We then share the recordings on a SharePoint site.

Using the telephone-only option for audio eliminates issues for us.

it_user11358 - PeerSpot reviewer
VP Marketing at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Integrating Go-to-Webinar and Webex Event Center with Marketo

When we were evaluating marketing automation systems, one of our key criteria was the ability to integrate the marketing automation platform with our webinar platform.  Webinars are one of the key lead generation tools that we use.  This blog post will discuss what we learned and our experience using both Go-to-Webinar and Webex Event Center integrated with Marketo.

If you can’t wait to read the details, in the end we chose to go forward with Go-to-Webinar integrated with Marketo.  We felt that Go-to-Webinar had better features and usability for our needs.  We also ran into some email deliverability issues when we were sending Webex registration confirmation and reminder emails through Marketo.  And that was a significant issue for us.

The pain points that drove us to evaluate webinar integration with marketing automation

When we first started evaluating marketing automation platforms in late 2011, integration between a webinar platform and a marketing automation tool was not widely available.  We were already using Go-to-Webinar, but we were constantly running into problems with audio issues and latency issues (e.g. complaints from the audience that the webinar slides weren’t advancing on their screen).  So we decided to evaluate webinar platforms at the same time that we were evaluation marketing automation solutions.  When we were talking to Webex, they specifically recommended that we look at Act-On because it had such strong integration with Webex.  At that time, Eloqua had just introduced their Webex Cloud Connector, but they didn’t have a cloud connector for Go-to-Webinar.  Marketo had also just started to introduce its connector for Go-to-Webinar.  Now in 2013, it seems that every marketing automation platform has integration with Go-to-Webinar and Webex.  However, those integrations still have room for improvement.

If you’re already using a webinar platform, but don’t have it integrated with marketing automation, here are some of the reasons why you would want an integrated solution.

- Using the standard webinar registration process provided by Go-to-Webinar and Webex requires a lot of manual processes to get registration data into the CRM system.  You have to export the registration lists from the webinar platform and then import it into Salesforce.com.  With a webinar platform integrated via marketing automation to your CRM system, the leads that register for a webinar are automatically added to your Salesforce.com webinar campaign in real-time.  That gives your sales team visibility to new leads before the webinar occurs.  Without this integration, our process was to wait until the webinar was over.  We actually had to wait 24 hrs after the webinar ended to make sure the system had updated which people attended and didn’t attend before we imported the data into Salesforce.com.  We also had to worry about separating out new leads from existing leads/contacts when doing the import to avoid creating duplicates in SFDC.  And of course the inside sales team is anxiously waiting for these leads while we’re doing this.

- The standard registration pages that come with Go-to-Webinar and Webex do not provide any ability to customize the registration pages.  You have very basic ability to add your logo and change the color scheme of the registration pages.  You can’t customize the fields or field labels shown on the webinar registration pages.  For example, one annoying feature of the Go-to-Webinar registration page is that they use the Label “Organization” for the field to capture company name.  We were constantly getting people entering their department name into that field.  By integrating your webinar platform with a marketing automation system, you can develop highly customized webinar registration pages in terms of the look of the page and the registration form.  Marketing automation tools let you make a webinar registration page look like it’s completely integrated with your website and ask custom questions on the registration form.

- The standard registration pages provided by Go-to-Webinar and Webex are not integrated with systems that you use for analytics and tracking.  That specifically means that you can’t measure visitor traffic or drop-off on those webinar registration pages with Google Analytics or your marketing automation platform.  If you’re getting poor registration on webinars, then I would want to look at tracking data to see if you’re getting enough traffic to the registration pages and then measure how many people are abandoning the registration process to determine how to improve the effectiveness of the registration page.

Go-to-Webinar integrated with Marketo

We made the decision to move forward with Marketo and we continued to use Go-to-Webinar.  We were very quickly able to get the Go-to-Webinar connector set up.  That let us create custom registration pages and get webinar leads into Salesforce.com in real-time without generating duplicates.  All of our webinar promotion used tracking codes (URL parameters) in the link to the registration page so we could tell where our leads were coming from.

The Go-to-Webinar integration with Marketo requires you to use Go-to-Webinar system emails for registration confirmation and webinar reminder emails.  Go-to-Webinar creates a unique webinar link for each registrant and the Marketo connector doesn’t have the ability to pull that unique link into their system.  So you have to use the Go-to-Webinar system emails to send confirmation and reminder emails.  The negative is that you can’t customize the message.  The positive is that those emails have good deliverability.

One other note about the Go-to-Webinar integration with Marketo is that it doesn’t automatically update the Attended status and it still takes 24 hrs for Go-to-Webinar to update that.  We have to import a spreadsheet into SFDC to update the campaign member status to Attended.  To enable sales to follow up faster, we started manually tracking who attended during the webinar and immediately updating Campaign member status instead of waiting 24 hrs for the webinar platform to update itself.

We continued to use Go-to-Webinar with Marketo, but we were still experiencing audio issues and slide latency issues.  We were looking for a webinar platform to deliver a better customer experience and decided to evaluate Webex Event Center.

Webex Event Center integrated with Marketo

We were able to get the Webex connector for Marketo set up fairly easily.  The advantage of the Webex integration with Marketo is that you can send the webinar registration and confirmation emails from Marketo.  Webex Event Center also creates a unique URL for each webinar registrant, but the Marketo Webex connector is able to pull that data from Event Center and put it into a Marketo email.  Everything else is similar – you can create custom registration pages and using tracking codes.  However, we ran into one significant issue – the email deliverability was really poor on Marketo emails for Webex webinar confirmation and reminders.  The emails would not arrive in a timely manner or at all.  We worked with Marketo Support to set up branded links and a branded CName for our email, but it didn’t improve deliverability.  That was a significant issue.  We didn’t have those deliverability issues with Go-to-Webinar.

Go-to-Webinar vs. Event Center

Ultimately, our decision to move forward with Go-to-Webinar primarily came down to differences between the two webinar solutions.  We ran live webinars with both products.  When we ran a live webinar with Event Center, we ran into just as many complaints about the audio from the audience.  So here are the key reasons why we chose to move forward with Go-to-Webinar:

- The Go-to-Webinar user interface lets you detach the various control panels from the user interface so you can enlarge them across dual monitors and make it easier to manage a webinar.  All of the Webex control panels are fixed to the main screen and it’s more difficult to use the different panels because they’re smaller.

- Both webinar platforms offer polling questions, but Webex doesn’t associate answers with each person.  In Go-to-Webinar, we export each person’s responses to the polling questions and import that into Salesforce.com to give our sales people more insight to each specific lead.

- We found that the process for transferring presenter controls was a little more complicated in Webex.  Perhaps it was because we were so used to Go-to-Webinar.

- When Go-to-Webinar sends out a webinar registration confirmation email, it includes a link to make it easy to create an Outlook calendar appointment that contains the unique URL for that person to attend the webinar.  Sending Webex confirmation and reminder emails from Marketo can’t do that.  You could create an ICS file for the Webex webinar date and send that in the email, but it won’t be able to pull in the unique URL that each person will need to attend the webinar.  The person will have to hunt through their email to find their unique link to attend the webinar.  So we find using the Go-to-Webinar system emails for registration confirmation and reminders to be a better solution especially given the email deliverability issues described above.

- We preferred the phone audio solution offered by Go-to-Webinar.  We use the non-toll, free option for audio over the phone.  One advantage of Go-to-Webinar is that it has local numbers that European audiences can dial into.  For Webex, a person in Europe that wanted to dial into the audio would have to call a US phone number.  The Webex audio solutions seemed designed for large corporations that provide toll free numbers or have their own phone infrastructure for webinars.

One other “gotcha” that is a Marketo issue common to both webinar platforms is that Marketo has different campaign member status progression values than what most people commonly use for webinar campaign member status values in Salesforce.com.  As a result, you’ll need to build a smart campaign in Marketo to change your webinar campaign member status values to your desired values in Salesforce.com and you’ll need to set up Salesforce.com webinar campaigns using all the different member status values that Marketo uses.  It’s a minor detail, but important to get your campaign member status values set correctly.

There were a few other minor areas where we felt that Go-to-Webinar was better than Webex from a usability perspective, but that may have been because we were so used to Go-to-Webinar.  More recently, we haven’t had any significant complaints from our webinar audiences about audio quality or slide latency with Go-to-Webinar.  So we’re moving forward with Go-to-Webinar integrated with Marketo.

I’d also like to thank Flora Felisberto for her contribution to the information in this blog post.  She did all of the testing with Webex Event Center and Marketo.

Download our free Virtual Meetings Report and find out what your peers are saying about LogMeIn, Cisco, ReadyTalk, and more!
Updated: May 2022