Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Fortinet FortiSwitch - Data Center OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Fortinet FortiSwitch - Data Center is #17 ranked solution in top Ethernet Switches. PeerSpot users give Fortinet FortiSwitch - Data Center an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. Fortinet FortiSwitch - Data Center is most commonly compared to Cisco Ethernet Switches: Fortinet FortiSwitch - Data Center vs Cisco Ethernet Switches. Fortinet FortiSwitch - Data Center is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 46% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 22% of all views.

Download the Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Fortinet FortiSwitch - Data Center?

With 10 or 40 GE access ports and a high-throughput backbone, FortiSwitch Data Center Switches are ideal for the top-of-rack (ToR) server or firewall-aggregation applications. The high-speed switching fabric is also well suited for enterprise network core or backbone network installations.

Fortinet FortiSwitch - Data Center Customers

Black Gold Regional Schools, Amadeus Hospitality, Jefferson County, Chunghwa Telecom, City of Boroondara, Dimension Data

Fortinet FortiSwitch - Data Center Video

Fortinet FortiSwitch - Data Center Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Fortinet FortiSwitch - Data Center pricing:
  • "It is reasonably priced."
  • "This solution is expensive but it does not require a license."
  • Fortinet FortiSwitch - Data Center Reviews

IT Network, Security Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Good management integrity
    • "A valuable feature of FortiGate is its management integrity."
    • "When there are many switches being used, the speed declines noticeably."

What is most valuable?

A valuable feature of FortiGate is its management integrity. FortiSwitch has two modes, one standalone and the other managed. The standalone mode cannot be managed from FortiGate, although the managed mode allows one to manage FortiSwitch from FortiGate. This includes the making or assigning of virtual LAN, interfacing, enabling and disabling and patching of upgrades. This can be done from FortiGate to every other FortiSwitch.

What needs improvement?

It would be great were FortiGate to allow for the management of many switches, such as 50 or 60 FortiSwitches. The managed display is very low. It takes a long time for the view to become visible, two or three minutes, perhaps. This is irritating. When there are many switches being used, the speed declines noticeably.

When it comes to stability and use of the managed feature, FortiSwitch does not consume many resources, such as CPU and memory. Yet, occasionally, we cannot understand the managed feature of the FortiLink platform. Stability is not really the issue. Troubleshooting is.

While the installation process is not complicated, the need to do regional configuration of FortiSwitch can be a bit on the tricky side.

We have a singular project on the FortiSwitch and this solution does not have many features when it comes to modular installation. One can move from one port to another on the same switch. Since the FortiSwitches do not move, this resulted in a person being unable to move his personal configuration from the same switches. This is a very important feature which our customers require, as they need to have switching abilities, such as in the event that they will move to the conference room. FortiSwitches now offers this important feature.

As Fortinet FortiSwitch - Data Center is a very young product, we have been distributing it for two or three years.

Stability is not an issue, although troubleshooting can present a challenge.

September 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Fortinet, Cisco, Aruba Networks and others in Ethernet Switches. Updated: September 2022.
    634,325 professionals have used our research since 2012.

FortiSwitch makes it easy to deal with many switches. It allows a person to install all of the switches on a single special FortiGate button. When it comes to the configuration of one's network, this is important, since it spares a person from the need to individually integrate each switch in the event that there are many involved.

Overall, Fortinet has good support, although this can vary depending on the engineer involved.

While the FortiSwitch setup process is not very involved, the need to do regional configuration can be a tricky issue. There is a learning process.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Fortinet FortiSwitch - Data Center as a nine out of ten.

Presales Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    An affordable solution that enables us to manage all network rules for FortiGate
    • "An affordable and stable solution for small-medium companies."
    • "Does not have as many features as other solutions, such as segmentation and analytics engines."

What is our primary use case?

We use it as an API, as our last solution.

What is most valuable?

The main feature is that we can manage all the network's rules for FortiGate, it's the main added value for us.

What needs improvement?

The integration of wireless products could be improved.

I've been using FortiSwitch for the last six months.

The product has a good stability.

Initial setup was simple and done by our company. Deployment took from one to two hours.

The cost of FortiNet is affordable and good for price-sensitive accounts.

The main difference between FortiSwitch and Aruba Switches is the price. The prices of Aruba are higher and they have unlimited features that FortiSwitch does not, like segmentation and analytics engines. Fortinet offers a simpler product. So if the network is simple, I would recommend Fortinet, but if we're dealing with a large network with mini customization and mini requirements, then I'd recommend Aruba and Chorley.

What other advice do I have?

I would give FortiSwitch a seven out of ten. I also want to add that this solution would work best in small-medium companies.

September 2022
    634,325 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    ICT Architect at a insurance company with 51-200 employees
    Easy to use interface, reasonably priced, and has good technical support
    • "It integrates well."
    • "The FortiSwitch product was initially quite complex."

What is most valuable?

The interface is good.

It integrates well.

It works well.

What needs improvement?

The FortiSwitch product was initially quite complex.

I have been using Fortinet FortiSwitch - Data Center since 2018.

I don't have any issues with the stability of Fortinet FortiSwitch - Data Center.

It's a scalable solution.

Technical support is good. I don't have any problem with technical support.

We have the entire Fortinet FortiSwitch system - Secure Access, firewalls, and everything. We have the entire Fortinet fabric.

It takes some time to get used to the interface at first. I would rate the Fortinet Secure Access a nine out of ten.

This is not an area that I am involved with. I did not set up this solution. For me, it would be difficult.

The installation was done mostly by the integrator.

It is reasonably priced.

What other advice do I have?

We had a difficult time at first because we were among the first to integrate this product, but everything went smoothly after that.

I would rate Fortinet FortiSwitch - Data Center a nine out of ten.

Firewall Engineer at a marketing services firm with 1-10 employees
    MSP
    Responsive technical support, stable, and scalable

What needs improvement?

The solution can improve by upgrading QSFP+, it is very limited and must be supported more than it is now. If we need FortiSwitches to support all the QSFP ports our budgets would have to be very large.

I have been using Fortinet FortiSwitch - Data Center for approximately three years.

The solution is stable.

I have found the solution to be scalable.

We have thousands of users using this solution.

The technical support has been very good. They are responsive and helpful. I would recommend this support to anyone using their solutions.

The installation is not difficult.

We did the implementation of the solution. For typical installations, we use one technician and if we need to link other devices, such as Fortinet firewalls, then we use two technicians.

This solution is expensive but it does not require a license.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Fortinet FortiSwitch - Data Center a nine out of ten.

Download our free Ethernet Switches Report and find out what your peers are saying about Fortinet, Cisco, Aruba Networks, and more!
    Updated: September 2022