IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Dell Data Domain Boost OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Dell Data Domain Boost is #7 ranked solution in top Deduplication Software. PeerSpot users give Dell Data Domain Boost an average rating of 8 out of 10. Dell Data Domain Boost is most commonly compared to HPE StoreOnce: Dell Data Domain Boost vs HPE StoreOnce. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 25% of all views.
What is Dell Data Domain Boost?
EMC Data Domain Boost provides advanced integration with backup and enterprise applications for increased performance and ease of use.

Download the Deduplication Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2022

Dell Data Domain Boost Video

Dell Data Domain Boost Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Dell Data Domain Boost pricing:
  • "Dell EMC Data Domain Boost is an expensive product. There are extra costs for support because every year, you have to renew your SLA for support, and the cost is always increasing."
  • "The solution comes with a capacity license and it is a one-time purchase. There are additional costs, such as support."
  • "The solution is very good because it is easy to use and it speeds up the backup and lowers the requirement for the storage rate. It is capable of encryption, compression, and deduplication and it is fast for sending all of the data over the network because it sends only the change blocks from the client to the DD server."
  • Dell Data Domain Boost Reviews

Backup & Storage Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
    Extremely stable, very easy to scale, and very good deduplication compression ratio
    • "The solution is quite scalable. An organization shouldn't have any problem expanding if they use this solution."
    • "Technical support is okay but could be improved. I've sent a lot of complaints their way and I feel like they might be able to respond a bit better."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as an SQL backup. We also use the DD Boost protocol.

What is most valuable?

The extreme stability of the solution, as well as the deduplication compression ratio, are the most valuable aspects for our organization.

What needs improvement?

There is nothing that's very difficult about this product right now. However, the GUI can use some improvement. When I compare Cohesity and Data Domain, I think Cohesity is more user friendly. In terms of Data Domain, the restored items should be converted from the Rockwell SQL end. That is the one thing which puts me off being a Data Domain administrator. I should have the authority to restore whatever comes to my end. I should get that capability as an admin. Being an admin, I need to be able to restore the things from my end rather than waiting.

We have been using this solution at our company for three and a half years so far. However, I personally have had experience working with the product for the last 15 or 16 years.
    May 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Dell Technologies, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Veritas and others in Deduplication Software. Updated: May 2022.
    598,116 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We find the solution to be extremely stable.

The solution is quite scalable. An organization shouldn't have any problem expanding if they use this solution. Our company extensively uses this solution. We did have issues with upgrading and we had to call back the Dell EMC team to assist. For now, we have plans on expanding depending on the amount of storage we receive from our Cohesity box. We're still a very small team of three. We are planning to have it on data center locations as well, but it is still in the planning stage so there are plenty of products that will be brought on later in the data center rooms so we can implement that in my own department.

Everything around DSM, an IDM tool, was pretty complex in terms of handling the Rockwell SQL backup. When we migrated over to Data Domain, it's much easier for us to switch and work on that. It took around six to eight months to make it into the production and do the deployment.

We needed a consultant. They had an SQL background as well. It was kind of 60/40 split in labor. 60% was work from our side. Then we got back to them and they gave us a calling order to assist.

We're always evaluating other options. Right now we're comparing this solution to Cohesity. We've learned, however, that Data Domain is much more scalable than Cohesity, so we are not likely to switch to them.

What other advice do I have?

We don't have a business relationship with EMC. We're just customers. Data Domain, on a scale out of ten, I would give an eight due to the amount of compression and data retention it offers. It's very stable as an infrastructure for backup, and we can use it as a storage as well. I'd advise other organizations to do some comparisons with other solutions, however, and especially look into scalability and how that might affect their decisions. They should also do their homework to find out things like how soon it's possible to restore an item.

Storage Team Leader at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
    Very fast with good dashboards and has the potential for discounted pricing
    • "The initial setup is very straightforward."
    • "The solution doesn't scale. If you hit your capacity, you need to buy a new device."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for the backup capabilities. I'm using about 100 terabytes daily.

What is most valuable?

The solution has very good dashboards.

The solution offers very good daily and weekly updated on the deduplication and the compression ratio.

The solution is very fast.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The deduplication is very bad on this solution. After 85% the utilization gets very bad.

Technical support has fallen in quality. It used to be much better.

I've been using Data Domain for about 12 years and Data Boost for about six years.

The stability has been very good. It doesn't crash or freeze. We haven't had bugs or glitches. It's been good.

The solution doesn't scale. If you need to expand anything, you will need to buy a new model. You can't just scale up an existing model. If, after a year or two, you need to scale up, then you need to look at new boxes.

We have about 2,500 people in the company, however, just one special team actually uses the solution.

We've had some issues with technical support. I've found that they used to be quite good, however, they've gone downhill in terms of the service they provide. We aren't 100% satisfied with the level of support on offer.

The initial setup isn't complex at all. We have a pretty standard setup and it was relatively straightforward. Setting up the solution shouldn't come with any issues for most companies.

We have licenses that last five years. After that, we may get new devices.

We tend to get a big discount with our licensing once we choose to upgrade. The pricing is not bad.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Dell.

I would recommend the solution to other organizations.

I'd advise companies to take care to think about capacity, as you can't really resize anything. If you decide to upgrade, it may be smart to ask them about discounts. It can save you money and give you a good deal.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten. We've been mostly happy with the product.

May 2022
    598,116 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Mohamed El-Sherbini - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Manager at Mada Insurance
    Stable and scalable solution for backups and keeping data safe; offers good encryption and huge data conversions
    • "Scalable and stable solution for backup purposes, with good encryption and huge data conversion features."
    • "It would be good if the product could be useful not just for general backup. Its pricing is also expensive, and it can be a difficult application, particularly when you need to write a script for anything you would like to do."

What is our primary use case?

I'm using Dell EMC Data Domain Boost for backup purposes.

How has it helped my organization?

Dell EMC Data Domain Boost has kept our data safe.

What is most valuable?

What I found most useful in Dell EMC Data Domain Boost is the encryption it provides. It exceeds 40x, and it can convert my data. It's a huge conversion.

What needs improvement?

It would be good if the product could be useful not just for general backup. I'm always using it for backup only. If I need any storage, I go for Dell EMC VMAX or Dell EMC VxRail, while for Dell EMC Data Domain Boost, the main purpose for me is for backup only.

The pricing for this solution is also expensive, so you have to look carefully at its pricing.

Dell EMC Data Domain Boost can also be a difficult application, particularly when you need to write a script for anything you would like to do.

I've been using Dell EMC Data Domain Boost for nine years.

I find Dell EMC Data Domain Boost stable.

Dell EMC Data Domain Boost is a scalable product.

When Dell got EMC, I was facing a lot of problems with the technical support for this solution, but now, the problems have been solved. You can control the issues that may arise from Dell EMC Data Domain Boost. If I would rate support from one to five, with five being the highest, my current rating for it would be five.

Dell EMC Data Domain Boost is an expensive product. There are extra costs for support because every year, you have to renew your SLA for support, and the cost is always increasing.

What other advice do I have?

Dell EMC Data Domain Boost is on public cloud. I deal with the solution including VxRail, VMAX, and all types of storage from Dell EMC.

I'm rating Dell EMC Data Domain Boost ten out of ten.

Solution Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Effective duplication, performs well, and simple management
    • "The most valuable features are the performance and the duplication."
    • "The solution could improve by adding more flexibility for the customers here in Thailand. Some of the small capacity models of the solution are not needed by our customers. There should be a more flexible version of the solution."

What is our primary use case?

Our customers use Dell EMC Data Domain Boost to minimize the negative outcomes and protect against ransomware attacks.

How has it helped my organization?

Dell EMC Data Domain Boost has helped to reduce maintenance time and protect our data.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the performance and the duplication.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by adding more flexibility for the customers here in Thailand. Some of the small capacity models of the solution are not needed by our customers. There should be a more flexible version of the solution.

In a feature release, there should be immutable features.

I have been using Dell EMC Data Domain Boost for approxiamtely five years.

The solution is stable.

Some models of Dell EMC Data Domain Boost are scalable, there are some versions that are not as scalable as others.

We have approximately 10 customers using this solution.

We have system architects and engineers using this solution.

My engineers have had some issues and have contacted support. The speed and the knowledge of the support agent were okay.

We have used HPE StoreOnce.

Dell EMC Data Domain Boost has more features than HPE StoreOnce.

The solution is simple to install and manage.

My engineers typically do the implementation in a few hours. I do not have direct knowledge of the process.

We have one system engineer that does the implementation and support of the solution.

The solution comes with a capacity license and it is a one-time purchase. There are additional costs, such as support.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Dell EMC Data Domain Boost a nine out of ten.

Data Protection Specialist at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
    Speeds up backups, easy to use, and installation is straightforward

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution with Data Domain (DD) to enhance the data backups of our databases and applications. It is a very popular solution around the world.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very good because it is easy to use and it speeds up the backup and lowers the requirement for the storage rate. It is capable of encryption, compression, and deduplication and it is fast for sending all of the data over the network because it sends only the change blocks from the client to the DD server.

I have been using this solution for approximately six years.

The solution is stable.

I have found the solution to be scalable.

We have approximately 10 people using this solution in my organization.

I have been satisfied with the technical support.

The installation is straightforward.

We have a team that does the implementation and maintenance of the solution.

DD Boost comes built into DD or Avamar. However, to use DD Boost for enterprise is a separate license. For example, if you have Oracle, Linux, or Unix and you need to install DD Boost for Arman, then you need a separate license. Typically when you purchase the solution it is bundled and you either purchase a one or three-year license. The price for the solution is expensive but when comparing it to other solutions it is reasonably priced. However, the price could still be cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

If you want to manage your database backups, then you should use DD Boost for Enterprise applications.

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Dell EMC Data Domain Boost a nine out of ten.

Shehan Attapattu - PeerSpot reviewer
      head of presales at a integrator with 11-50 employees
      A stable solution that is easy to set up

What is our primary use case?

We proposed the use of Dell EMC Data Domain Boost with Oracle backend to a financial organization. They had a very good experience with backup times and fast resolutions.

What needs improvement?

Integration could be better. Sometimes when integrating with different systems, it's not straightforward.

I have been using Dell EMC Data Domain Boost for three years.

Dell EMC Data Domain Boost is a stable solution. Our team is trained and certified to use this product and don't have any complaints about it.

Their technical support was actually good. In the POC environment, we needed some help, and they supported us with that.

The initial setup is straightforward. The time it takes to implement the solution depends on the customer side networking issues, and the time it takes to integrate with their systems. But from a product perspective, it doesn't take much time.

Our in-house team implemented Dell EMC Data Domain Boost. We have a few experienced engineers who are qualified to implement this product, and they are capable of handling it.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Dell EMC Data Domain Boost an eight.

System Infrastructure Group Leader at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Data domain is very stable; application and compression are very good

What is our primary use case?

We are using the product as a back-up target solution.

I am an infrastructure group leader and we are customers of Dell.

What is most valuable?

I like the stability of the solution. We are using firewalls and the data domain is very stable, the back-up target and the application and compression are very good. It's a Dell EMC data domain boost.

What needs improvement?

The capacity of the solution is very low which is why we're moving to a different product.

I've been using this solution for five years.

What other advice do I have?

The main downside of the solution is the capacity, otherwise it's a good product.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Download our free Deduplication Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about Dell Technologies, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Veritas, and more!
      Updated: May 2022