Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

DD Boost OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

DD Boost is #7 ranked solution in top Deduplication Software. PeerSpot users give DD Boost an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. DD Boost is most commonly compared to HPE StoreOnce: DD Boost vs HPE StoreOnce. DD Boost is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 62% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 18% of all views.

Download the Deduplication Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is DD Boost?

DD Boost software delivers an advanced level of integration with backup applications and data base utilities, enhancing performance and ease of use. Dell also provides a DD Boost File System Plug-In (BoostFS) with DD Boost for even greater application support, which enables all the benefits of DD Boost for applications that use NFS for data protection. Rather than sending all data to the system for deduplication processes, DD Boost enables the backup server or application client to send only unique data segments across the network to the system.

DD Boost Video

Archived DD Boost Reviews (more than two years old)

System Infrastructure Group Leader at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Data domain is very stable; application and compression are very good

What is our primary use case?

We are using the product as a back-up target solution.

I am an infrastructure group leader and we are customers of Dell.

What is most valuable?

I like the stability of the solution. We are using firewalls and the data domain is very stable, the back-up target and the application and compression are very good. It's a Dell EMC data domain boost.

What needs improvement?

The capacity of the solution is very low which is why we're moving to a different product.

I've been using this solution for five years.

September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Dell Technologies, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Veritas and others in Deduplication Software. Updated: September 2022.
634,775 professionals have used our research since 2012.

What other advice do I have?

The main downside of the solution is the capacity, otherwise it's a good product.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Backup & Storage Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Extremely stable, very easy to scale, and very good deduplication compression ratio
  • "The solution is quite scalable. An organization shouldn't have any problem expanding if they use this solution."
  • "Technical support is okay but could be improved. I've sent a lot of complaints their way and I feel like they might be able to respond a bit better."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as an SQL backup. We also use the DD Boost protocol.

What is most valuable?

The extreme stability of the solution, as well as the deduplication compression ratio, are the most valuable aspects for our organization.

What needs improvement?

There is nothing that's very difficult about this product right now. However, the GUI can use some improvement. When I compare Cohesity and Data Domain, I think Cohesity is more user friendly. In terms of Data Domain, the restored items should be converted from the Rockwell SQL end. That is the one thing which puts me off being a Data Domain administrator. I should have the authority to restore whatever comes to my end. I should get that capability as an admin. Being an admin, I need to be able to restore the things from my end rather than waiting.

We have been using this solution at our company for three and a half years so far. However, I personally have had experience working with the product for the last 15 or 16 years.

We find the solution to be extremely stable.

Our company extensively uses this solution. We did have issues with upgrading and we had to call back the Dell EMC team to assist.

For now, we have plans on expanding depending on the amount of storage we receive from our Cohesity box. We're still a very small team of three.

We are planning to have it on data center locations as well, but it is still in the planning stage so there are plenty of products that will be brought on later in the data center rooms so we can implement that in my own department.

Everything around DSM, an IDM tool, was pretty complex in terms of handling the Rockwell SQL backup. When we migrated over to Data Domain, it's much easier for us to switch and work on that.

It took around six to eight months to make it into the production and do the deployment.

We needed a consultant. They had an SQL background as well. It was kind of 60/40 split in labor. 60% was work from our side. Then we got back to them and they gave us a calling order to assist.

We're always evaluating other options. Right now we're comparing this solution to Cohesity. We've learned, however, that Data Domain is much more scalable than Cohesity, so we are not likely to switch to them.

What other advice do I have?

We don't have a business relationship with EMC. We're just customers.

Data Domain, on a scale out of ten, I would give an eight due to the amount of compression and data retention it offers. It's very stable as an infrastructure for backup, and we can use it as a storage as well.

I'd advise other organizations to do some comparisons with other solutions, however, and especially look into scalability and how that might affect their decisions. They should also do their homework to find out things like how soon it's possible to restore an item.

September 2022
634,775 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user801057 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reliable software for enhancing how backup servers function
  • "This product's unique protocol make it superior to competing products and alternate solutions."
  • "Connectivity with the cloud and on-premises needs improved gateways."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this product for cost savings and saving server capacity.

How has it helped my organization?

Because of how it functions we do not have to make additional investment in hardware and services.

What is most valuable?

Data Domain Boost has a unique protocol. I don't think other vendors have a similar protocol and controls from the products I have had experience with. There are alternative solutions, but Data Domain Boost is really efficient. Compared to these other products, I found the efficiency of Data Domain Boost to be superior.

What needs improvement?

Like any product, it would be good to improve performance and the ease of dealing with operating the system. It needs a more familiar interface to make it easier to use for everyone. Other than that, I don't think so that there are more features that will be necessary and important for every user. To me, all the features are suitable and convenient. If I was looking for something for Dell to add to the product, it would be notifications.

As far as improvement, the stability of the connection could be improved. The tool itself is okay, but not the gateway between the on-prem Data Domain and the cloud. We have to find a workaround or use third party products. So in the next release, I'd like to see a better connection gateway between cloud and on-prem.

Improvement of the pricing would be a welcome change.

We have been using it for five years.

I strongly recommend companies or any organization to go with this product if they expect full features and stability.

For now, I am very happy with the scalability. We have around 500 people using the solution and scaling has not been a problem. I once work system admin, now I'm a solution architect. Mainly system admins and architects directly use the platform.

The technical support is very special, really. I like it and overall I am very satisfied with the services.

We are actually using both Veritas and Data Domain simultaneously. Between these two, Data Domain is more efficient for me and very scalable. There is a limitation to the scalability at some point, but there is a different architecture so it does not really become a problem.

I think the initial setup was straightforward. I cannot say it was very complex but that may depend on your experience and complexity of your network.

I'm doing all parts of the implementation. We are a gold partner with Dell EMC now. Prior to that, we were a reseller.

I think it is important that Dell reconsider the pricing. I don't know what we pay off-hand, but I do know that the pricing is high compared with other competing products.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Dell EMC Data Domain Boost as a ten. I strongly recommend this product for all its capabilities.

I do self-study and read articles about this product to learn about capabilities and solutions even though I am familiar with it. It is good for users to do self-study to get the most out of the product.

Mahmoud-Yassin - PeerSpot reviewer
Head of IT Infrastructure and Security Operations at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
Offers fast and efficient data restore and is stable
  • "Data Domain is valuable, especially to restore data. For normal data, the restore from Data Domain is very efficient and fast."
  • "The experience of restoring VMware or Veeam Backup is difficult, when the backup you are using is a solution for backup, which is already having a deduplication. When you try to restore from Data Domain, it doesn't work perfectly, because Data Domain is already having a deduplication as well."

What is most valuable?

Data Domain is valuable, especially for restoring data. For normal data, the restore from Data Domain is very efficient and fast.

What needs improvement?

The experience of restoring VMware or Veeam Backup is difficult when the backup you are using is a  solution for backup, which is already having a deduplication. When you try to restore from Data Domain, it doesn't work perfectly, because Data Domain is already having a deduplication as well.

This is only a deduplication issue. If you are restoring databases with a normal backup, it will work very fast. However, if you are restoring your database at the deduplication by VM backup, then the deduplication for it will be very slow.

I have used Domain for around seven or eight years, in different models.

The stability is there actually.

The problem with Data Domain is you have to size it to the right size for your workloads before you choose. Upgrading the platform is not that easy.

You can add some more shelves, but this will not give you that much capacity for your workload. You have to ensure that you study the workload well.

To be precise, it is not scalable if you are jumping from small to medium or from medium to large. Within the medium tier, however, it is scalable.

Excellent. The technical support at EMC is one of the best I have known.

The initial setup is a bit complicated. It's a difficult task to set it up. After this, however, things go fairly smoothly. After you define the main things, there is no need to do anything else.

What other advice do I have?

Study the workload very well before you go into the sizing phase. You have to study your workloads, so you can anticipate them and avoid any unplanned workloads.

I would rate the solution as eight out of ten. It is quite sufficient but needs a little bit of improvement.

Senior Consultant at a healthcare company
Good management interfaces and has good functionality
  • "The functionality is very good. DD Boost and DD entry replication are used in almost all backup concepts. Those are the most used features."
  • "The multi-tier functionality can be improved, but it is quite good. They could improve replication and perhaps support additional sharing network protocols. I would also like to see better implementation of NFS Version 3, but it is already implemented and quite usable as it is."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution mostly on-premises.

What is most valuable?

The functionality is very good. DD Boost and DD entry replication are used in almost all backup concepts. Those are the most used features.

What needs improvement?

The management interfaces are quite good at the moment. The multi-tier functionality can be improved, but it is quite good. They could improve replication and perhaps support additional sharing network protocols. I would also like to see a better implementation of NFS Version 3, but it is already implemented and quite usable as it is.

We've had experience with Data Domain for the last eight years.

It is stable to use.

The scalability depends on the licensing model, but it is quite good.

Usually, my direct customer is an enterprise, but we also have customers in the small and mid-range sectors. The hardware platform is cost intense, so for small and mid-range, this product is not the best choice.

The support for the DDB is about eight out of ten.

The initial setup was straightforward. You need to have experience in handling storage platforms, but from that point of view it's quite straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product. I would rate it as nine of ten, overall.

StevenJamal - PeerSpot reviewer
Enterprise Engineer at Computech Limited
Reseller
A stable, scalable solution with great backup features

What is most valuable?

The backup aspect of the solution is its most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to have a more transparent environment.

The solution needs to be more user-friendly for the end-users.

I've been using the solution for one to two years.

The solution is extremely stable.

Scalability is good. I understand the concept, so for me, it's easy. Most of our clients are medium sizes enterprises in the financial sector.

Technical support is okay. We've only had limited interactions with them.

The initial setup can be a bit complex. It depends on the parameters of the implementation.

What other advice do I have?

We're a partner, we're not end-users of the solution itself.

I would recommend the solution because it has a very good integration process.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten.

MagedElgamal - PeerSpot reviewer
System Engineer at Seal Software
Easy to install, improves our customer's backup speed, and reduces storage space
  • "The most valuable feature is the support for plug-ins."
  • "There are some limitations where you cannot use it as a shared server or as a file server, it is limited for the only backup."

What is our primary use case?

As a cloud-based solution, customers buy cloud applications like Veeam or Backup X6, and they need storage to put data on the cloud. We recommend Data Domain to them and we implement a solution using Data Domain Boost with their backup solution.

I implement and troubleshoot for the customers.

In the last six months, the deployment model we were using is on-premises. I have only deployed on the cloud once, and it's easy for our customers. It's a pleasure to do.

All of my experience is on-premises.

How has it helped my organization?

An example of how this solution can improve an organization would be with one of our customers who has a data exchange server. Every backup takes two or three and a half-hundred gigabytes of storage.

When the customer was using another backup solution, QNAP, it was taking seven hours to perform a full backup. When we used Data Domain on his environment, we found that the time was reduced to two hours and thirty minutes.

Also, with Data Domain we found that the data was compressed by thirty times. For example, with the other backup solution, the data was three thousand gigabytes, whereas in Data Domain it would be one thousand gigabytes.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the support for plug-ins. For example, when backing up a server through data domain, it can take a long time. However, when you are using Boost, you just install a plug-in on the target server and the backup job is scheduled.

What needs improvement?

There are some limitations where you cannot use it as a shared server or as a file server, it is limited for the only backup.

We have customers asking for a file server that can be used to share data with their employees, with an organization, or to use it on VMware as a storage unit, but this solution is not suitable.

When we receive requests like this from the customers we recommend building EMC Unity, it's a full package, you can backup, you can share and you can use it as a LAN in your virtualization environment.

I have been using this solution for ten months.

This solution is stable.

This solution is scalable, but it's expensive.

The initial setup was easy. If you work with the manual and follow it step-by-step, it is easy and straightforward.

It takes about forty minutes to install the application and install the Data Domain on-premises in the data center.

The cost is monthly.

What other advice do I have?

There are good and bad points to having this solution only for backup.

It's good to protect your data from attacks such as ransomware. You only use the storage for backups, so you don't have to share folders.

The main difference between EMC Data Domain and EMC Data Domain Boost is that the Boost is an add-on you install that allows you to transfer the backup job quickly.

After performing a full backup, you would schedule it to run every week, and instead of it doing a full backup of all of the data, Data Domain Boost will back up only the data that has been added or that is different from the original data.

it_user916722 - PeerSpot reviewer
Information Systems and IT Manager at Chiyoda Almana Engineering LLC
A High performance solution with good deduplication and technical support
  • "The most valuable feature of this solution is deduplication."
  • "This product is expensive compared to other storage so the price can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is backup. We have an on-premises deployment.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is deduplication. It's very good.

What needs improvement?

The restore and deduplication features are good, but they can be further improved.

I have been using this solution since 2012.

This solution is very stable. It doesn't crash and there are no errors.

The scalability is not good because if we want to upgrade then we need to purchase a higher version. We have approximately seven hundred and fifty employees, and all of their data is backed up.

We have not had any trouble with technical support. Sometimes we do not fully understand our problem, then people from technical support arrive and replace the hard disk. It's very good because you have the monitoring.

Prior to this solution, we used a tape backup. We switched because this solution is easier and you don't need a tape. Backing up files is very, very fast.

The initial setup of this solution is straightforward. It's easy.

We purchased the box and then performed the implementation ourselves. We always have a technical meeting before anything is disconnected, and then deploy after that.

The price of this solution is very high.

What other advice do I have?

This is definitely a solution that I recommend. It is good, although it is very expensive.

Abderahim Raissi - PeerSpot reviewer
Pre Sales Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Integrates well with support for multiple protocols
  • "The most valuable feature of this solution is that it can support both the CIFS and NFS protocols simultaneously."
  • "There are limitations when using the VTL protocol in extreme cases."

What is our primary use case?

I am a solution engineer, and I help customers design and implement their solutions and architectures. I propose technologies, such as Dell EMC. I also assist the sales consultants with technical questions from customers.

This solution, Data Domain Boost, works with Data Domain to improve the backup speed. For example, we propose this solution for customers who need to back up their VR LAN quickly.

The best use case for this solution is a client that has a LAN architecture backup with a lot of data. It may include databases like Oracle and MSSQL

Recently, we integrated a Data Domain 9300 for a financial institution in Morocco that can back up both VTL and VMware virtual workloads. There is replication between two sites and it is integrated with NetBackup and TSM. So, in this project we used DD Boost to backup all VMware workload and the resuslt is the client is satisfied.

How has it helped my organization?

Dell EMC Data Domain Boost is a software that provides an advanced integration with enterprise applications and Data Domain Systems. It gives the customer more advantages in terms of backup speed and performance.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is, for me, that it enables client-side deduplication so only the unique data segments are sent to Data Domain System, which provides more backup speed and preformance.

What needs improvement?

During my experience with Data Domain selling and basing on customers feedback, there is really no limitations regarding Data Domain Boost (DD Boost).

In fact, I've been selling it, as a pre-sales, to my clients for three years.

In my opinion, this solution is stable. None of our clients have a problem in this regard.

We scale this product by adding licenses, which are related to capacity.

We have clients of all sizes including small, medium, and enterprise businesses.

Technical support for this solution is good, and we haven't had any problems with them. They have a good support team who will discuss any problem. If we have a support ticket then the work is done, without a problem.

Before my selling of DataDomain to my Customers, they have other solutions at the backup infrastructure. Besides, among all DataDomain Advantages, Deduplication and DD Boost were the most which encouraged the customers to change/upgrade their backup existant solutions.

The initial setup of this solution varies on a case-by-case basis. For example, we had the same client but with a different architecture or another workload, and there were a lot of  problems on the side of client existant infrastructure. However, in general, there is no difficulty when installing this solution.

There are a lot of products in the market for backup solutions. Data Domain has a lot of advantages, which is why my clients choose this solution.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I recommend without any doubt.

One of my clients had trouble with sizing and architecture because initially, he had little data and a small budget. When the size of his business increased he wanted to keep the same model, but it was not possible because each model has limitations.

All of the features are really good and respond well to business and client needs. All of my clients are satisfied and have not asked for any additional features.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Storage Specialist at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
Compresses our data storage and is user-friendly and easy to maintain
  • "I like the tool set, it's easy to work on and the support is brilliant."
  • "It would be nice if they could have the same tool set right from the smallest to the biggest modules, but being specific frame dependent."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to compress our data storage and as a data backup environment. We only store our data for two weeks, so in a two-week period, for the volume of data as well as our mixed types of data, we get the best cost per terabyte stored on Data Domain.

What is most valuable?

The features I find most valuable is the ease of installation and the ease of maintenance, more than the functionality. I like the toolset, it's easy to work on and the support is brilliant.

What needs improvement?

My experience is that the fact that they give you certain toolsets based on certain modules only makes it difficult for us to save costs due to upgrading. So it would be nice if they could have the same toolset right from the smallest to the biggest modules, but being specific frame-dependent. The toolset itself does whatever I currently want.

I have been using this solution for longer than five years now.

The solution is very stable and I haven't had any issues with that so far.

I can't say that we had any issues in terms of either performance or capacity. This solution transports data between the client and the Data Domain. I would obviously like to have a better way to federate the Data Domains together as one, but that's not really possible.

We have about ten people working on data protection. With Boost I've never had issues where we couldn't pump or dump data though in time, or that there were reliability issues, so I think the solution is scalable.

The technical support is one of the biggest reasons for choosing EMC products, or staying with them. There was a slight wobble when Dell got into the picture, but I think they've sorted that out now, so now we are happy again.

The initial setup was straightforward. Our installation was done by a company that manages our servers for us.

What other advice do I have?

I will definitely recommend this solution, but I obviously don't know other people's environment. I would say that you should write down what your criteria is, what you want, and then do a proper test with all the vendors. Most often people promise you things, and once you start digging into it, it is not there. Like Huawei - many of the functions we needed, they just don't have, so they rely on tools from other vendors to give you that functionality. So I would obviously recommend it as a solution, because I know it works.

In the future I would like to be able to pump data straight into Amazon S3 Bucket. EMC has tools to pump it into the ECS array, and then it's free of charge. But if I pump it into Amazon S3, I have to pay. So, I would like to be able to do it into Amazon, into a different vendor's S3 Bucket, without having the vendor lock-in.

On a scale from one to ten, I rate this solution a 8.5.

it_user801057 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
An extremely efficient solution with good stability and an easy initial setup
  • "Data Domain Boost has a unique protocol. I don't think with other vendors you get the same efficiency. I work with some the other products, but this solution has amazing efficiency in comparison."
  • "The solution needs a better gateway between the on-premises and cloud deployment models. We have to work around it or find a third party to assist."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use it as a solution for saving costs and capacity.

What is most valuable?

Data Domain Boost has a unique protocol. I don't think with other vendors you get the same efficiency. I work with some the other products but this solution has amazing efficiency in comparison.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs better performance and a more user-friendly operating system.

The solution needs a better gateway between the on-premises and cloud deployment models. We have to work around it or find a third party to assist.

The pricing is high, compared to the competition.

I've been using the solution for five years.

The solution is very stable.

The solution is scalable for us right now. There is a limitation number on it, but for different architecture.

We have about 500 users.

Technical support is very, very good. I'm satisfied with the level of service we receive form them.

I'm currently using two solutions: Veritas and Data Domain. Data Domain is more efficient for me and it's really scalable.

The initial setup was straightforward. It was very easy.

We implemented the solution ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I strongly recommend any organization to use it. I'm doing self study once a week or on a monthly basis to learn more about the product, so I'm quite familiar with it.

I would rate the solution ten out of ten.

Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
A scalable solution that offers good data backup capabilities and is easy to manage

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution primarily for data backup.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to manage. That is its most valuable feature.

The solution gives great backup performance.

What needs improvement?

It should be expanded to include other databases and software. It should also be made easier to restore.

I've been using the solution for two to three years.

The solution is very stable.

The solution is very scalable. It's easy to scale if you need to. We have about two or three licenses.

Technical support is good. Overall we've been satisfied with their service.

The initial setup is easy.

We had a consultant help us with the implementation. We were satisfied with the work they provided.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I would recommend the product. I'd rate it eight out of ten as I think there are still some elements that need improvement.

Stanislaw Jagielski - PeerSpot reviewer
Trainer, storage consultant at Oxon
A reliable backup solution that scales with your throughput
  • "Overall, scalability is great."
  • "This solution should cover more platforms, and there should be more product coverage."

What is our primary use case?

We are an integrator and this is one of the solutions that we supply to our customers. I do some of the training on this solution for our customers, as well, so I use it personally in that regard.

This is primarily used as a backup solution.

What needs improvement?

I think that the GUI should be improved because sometimes, not everything is properly displayed.

I would like to see better Fibre Channel support.

DDBoost is one of the most important features of the Data Domain appliance. The acronym stands for Data Domain Bandwidth Optimized OST, which gives the ability to distribute backup job tasks between DD and the host which writes to DD. This is called DSP - Distributed Segment Processing which is used during the backup process.

Another part of DDBoost, Clone Controlled Replication aka File Managed Replication, which is used on backup system site to easily replicate DDBoost created backup pieces of such. Lack of this functionality is, in my opinion, big limitation. When you consult interoperability matrices you will find (as an example of not full coverage)

1. No DDBoost support for Spectrum Space (former Tivoli Storage Manager) which claims market share higher than 15%

2. No support for Managed File Replication for Veeam Backup & Replication DD Boost over FC - which is one of the backup software leaders

The above are the most obvious examples on which I based my RFE to broaden the coverage.

FC improvements – I’d like to run DD replication over FC; if it would be possible then using DDBoost over FC and Replication over FC will remove the necessity for any data movement over IP. This solution would give us a clear separation between transport protocols used for management purposes (TCP) and those used for backup data transfer (FC).

I have been using this solution for more than seven years.

In my opinion, the stability is very good.

Scalability depends on the model that you have. For each model, you have a limited number of terabytes per hours. It provides the option to scale as you need it. Overall, scalability is great.

I have never needed to contact technical support personally.

I have not personally performed a setup for a system that was going into production. For the environment that I was using, the initial setup was very simple.

For the environment that I tried, I performed the implementation myself.

What other advice do I have?

My suggestion for anybody who is implementing this solution is to use the Fibre Channel, if possible. If not, then try to use it over IP. If you cannot use either then there are other options, but the Fibre Channel is preferred. It gives you not only an increased speed but also some additional features.

The biggest lesson that I have learned when working with this solution is that you can always do something better. I have been in the backup industry for more than twenty years, and there have been times when I was bored with the products. What I have found is that you can always expect to see something new, and something better.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Download our free Deduplication Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about Dell Technologies, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Veritas, and more!
Updated: September 2022