We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

CyberArk Enterprise Password Vault OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

CyberArk Enterprise Password Vault is #3 ranked solution in top Enterprise Password Managers. PeerSpot users give CyberArk Enterprise Password Vault an average rating of 8 out of 10. CyberArk Enterprise Password Vault is most commonly compared to HashiCorp Vault: CyberArk Enterprise Password Vault vs HashiCorp Vault. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 25% of all views.
What is CyberArk Enterprise Password Vault?

CyberArk Enterprise Password Vault, a component of the CyberArk Privileged Access Manager Solution, is designed to discover, secure, rotate and control access to privileged account passwords used to access systems throughout the enterprise IT environment. The solution enables organizations to understand the scope of their privileged account risks and put controls in place to mitigate those risks. Flexible policies enable organizations to enforce granular privileged access controls, automate workflows and rotate passwords at a regular cadence without requiring manual IT effort. To demonstrate compliance, organizations can easily report on which users accessed what privileged accounts, when and why.

CyberArk Enterprise Password Vault Buyer's Guide

Download the CyberArk Enterprise Password Vault Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

CyberArk Enterprise Password Vault Customers

AstraZeneca, Time, DBS, Novartis, Motorola, BT, pwc, Braun, Deloitte, Williams, Revlon, Belgacom, Barclays

CyberArk Enterprise Password Vault Pricing Advice

What users are saying about CyberArk Enterprise Password Vault pricing:
  • "CyberArk is very expensive and there are additional fees for add-ons."
  • "It's per-company, license-based."
  • "It's an affordable platform."
  • "The price of this solution is expensive."
  • "This product is very expensive."
  • CyberArk Enterprise Password Vault Reviews

PAM Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Stable, good support, and secures each password with individual encryption
    • "CyberArk probably has probably the best vault on the market because of the multiple layered security and each password getting its own encryption."
    • "CyberArk has two disadvantages; the first is that it's insanely expensive and the other is it's very complex."

What is our primary use case?

I'm an integrator and we identify and provide performance discovery, and we select the best product for our clients.

We have users that are administrators in the environment, and we convert them into a shared account model. Many of the organizations have two accounts. One is a regular user account and the other gives them administrative rights.

CyberArk allows for a higher degree of segregation of duties, although CyberArk itself doesn't do that. You have to have knowledge of role-based access control and least privilege principles. It supports it, but you have to implement it.

There is also service recording, service accounts on Windows Systems, and Linux systems, to rotate their passwords.

You will find service accounts with passwords that are 5,000 to 8,000 days old, but not with CyberArk. It creates a very strong service to prevent attacks.

When passwords don't change it makes them very vulnerable and allows attackers significant lateral mobility within an organization. It gives them the necessary time to scout the environment and choose what their attack will be, whether it's going to be a ransomware attack or a data exfiltration attack or if it's going to go in to cause defamation to the company like creating a denial of service to clients. Also, hacking their Facebook page or their Twitter page are common attacks.

What is most valuable?

CyberArk probably has probably the best vault on the market because of the multiple layered security and each password getting its own encryption. Each password gets individual encryption. By the time you are able to crack one of the passwords, it's already been changed a dozen times.

The attack surface on a CyberArk Vault is very nominal and in addition, CyberArk also has its own on-staff hackers where companies actually hire them to perform penetration testing, but within, inside the environment.

What needs improvement?

CyberArk has two disadvantages; the first is that it's insanely expensive and the other is it's very complex.

That's the downside because CyberArk was not built organically. It was built systematically.

They're not built into the product. You have to shoehorn things in. You have to create programmatic interfaces to make things work, but that's why I said it's the most complex product.

CyberArk is still in the model of managing accounts and passwords. When you're logged in as a domain admin, you're leaving footprints everywhere you go. These footprints can be picked up and replicated. So, I think CyberArk is behind the curve in that area.

Customers are already having an issue with the cost of CyberArk and then you have to add another $100,000.00 to the bill for other application accounts.

I would like to see a more streamlined and built-in programmatic onboarding and offboarding process. Something a little bit less complex than what they're currently doing.

The price is the problem and also the architecture can be daunting because CyberArk really strongly encourages having hardware vaults. Most corporations are totally virtualized.

I use virtualized vaults on everything including the high availability configuration.

I started using Cyber-Ark Enterprise Password Vault when they were on version five or six, they are now on 11.5 or 11.6. I have been using this solution for a total of 15 years.

CyberArk is very stable.

If there is a problem, or if a problem does occur, unless you know exactly what to do and how to diagnose it, you may not be able to find it because there are so many moving parts. However, a good administrator can usually diagnose a problem fairly rapidly.

They determine the root cause by performing a root cause analysis. Also, you should inform CyberArk because sometimes a fix might be required. CyberArk stopped performing single sign-on.

CyberArk is very scalable. It's one of the things that I love and it's also one of the things that I hate about CyberArk.

For example, it's a standalone vault that is practically uncrackable. If you want to do a password rotation you need to have a central password manager. It's called a CPM.

If you want session recordings you have to have a PSM. They can be run on the same server, but eventually, the performance is going to be an extensive task.

A CPM is performing verification on passwords continuously, and to start stacking server roles on top of each other.

If you're a semi-vault in a small environment, with one server running CPM, PSM, and PDWA all on one box, it would be no problem with less than 10 administrators and only 70 servers.

With other small or larger organizations that have hundreds of servers rendering that capability or that flexibility, you would have to have a dedicated CPM and dedicated PDWAs, which is the administrator web interface.

For a medium-sized company where you want to do a session recording for all the administrator access, it will cause a problem. It will require multiple PSM servers and if you don't have a good administrator who documents the build process well, or they don't update it, then the problem shows when you build a new PSM. If they don't add all the applications to it then you're going to get an intermittent error across the low-balanced PFMs, where eight of the ten work, but two of them don't because they didn't install the SFQL agent. It's a very complex program, albeit very scalable.

If you're a multinational corporation, you can have your vault in one location and have PSMs distributed where the systems are in the data centers. Then, the PDWAs and the CPMs would be in the data centers and you would have the PDWAs where the user populations are. Rather than having one single appliance or one single box that does everything, you end up having boxes distributed all over. This means that they have to do synchronization and it works out very well most times.

We have small to large company clients. We have clients that have tens of thousands of administrative accounts and 1000 or so servers, to clients as small as having 70 servers with maybe only 750 to 1500 accounts.

Technical support is awesome!

CyberArk has excellent technical support. They may not be timely. They're not quick, but they're great.

I would rate the technical support a ten out of ten.

You have to follow the ticket creation process, which is in your benefit because you need screenshots and logs to be able to diagnose the problem. If you do that, then CyberArk comes back with some incredible support help and in most times it's something that I would have never been able to figure out because the product is very complex and it has a lot of moving parts.

I have not used any other solution previously. CyberArk is what I learned first.

The initial setup was very complex. There are a lot of moving parts. The skillsets for some of the advanced features require administrators to know how to program in specific APIs.

The complexity to implement is very high. On a scale of one to 10, it's a 9.5.

CyberArk is very expensive and there are additional fees for add-ons.

What other advice do I have?

CyberArk Password Vault is probably the top vault on the market and Thycotic would be a close second.

CyberArk is not always suited for our clients but it is the best solution. Eight out of 10 organizations don't implement it. Just because you know CyberArk doesn't mean you understand it.

The SaaS solution is sound but the on-premises is primarily what I have worked on. I am CyberArk certified. When I started off several years ago, I got my CIS as PE. I was put into a security group in EDS.

Network admins who work for the company have to be administrators, with high skill levels.

Before implementing CyberArk, I would say do a very aggressive use case creation of everything that you're expecting the vault to do. The security architecture should be able to create high-level bulleted use cases. Security administration should be able to take it down to the next level of detail.

They will have to add Conjure, which is another license for CyberArk.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Technical Lead IMSS at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Create, request, access and manage privileged passwords
    • "It's highly secure and very flexible. It gives us all types of storage options and it gives us a high level of security."
    • "The only problem involves granting access to people who are authorized to view it."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for storing and rotating passwords.

Within our organization, a lot of people are using this solution for a lot of projects. We have already implemented CyberArk as a SaaS solution. We are not using the core parts, but we are using the software as a service for a project.

At my previous job, there was a team of seven people who were in charge of maintenance. Mostly analysts, senior analysts, and a technical lead used this solution.

What is most valuable?

It completely depends on the requirement. For some of the RPA robotic types of user identity, we prefer for it to happen in an automatic way, but some of them are highly critical, so we don't do it automatically. As for the end-user experience or expectation, if they want to change it at their end, they can do it.

What needs improvement?

I don't see any problems because it's highly secure and very flexible. It gives us all types of storage options and it gives us a high level of security. From my experience, overall, I don't see many problems that need to be rectified.

The only problem involves granting access to people who are authorized to view it. This user management area is the most critical. We have to constantly check on that area and we have to review and give proper access. Nobody should have more access than they are authorized for.

I have been using CyberArk Enterprise Password Vault for eight years.

It's scalable at the component level. If you want to add some of the latest components, or if you want to implement biometrics or MFA, this solution can handle that — it's very easy to implement.

The tech support is amazing. If you have any issues that you need help with, the CyberArk support team reaches out very quickly, depending on the criticality of the issue. If it's critical, they will reach out to you within hours.

The vendor support is really good.

The initial setup is quite straightforward. These days they have an automatic script — It is much less time-consuming.

We used to do it manually which would take almost two to three hours in total.

We did it in-house. I'm certified in CyberArk; I've also installed it for clients as well.

The licensing plan is either six months or one year — it's not on a monthly basis.

Every company will have a different license fee, but ultimately, it comes down to how many users you want to manage and how many companies you want to support. If you want three CPMs, then you'll need licensing for three. It's per-company, license-based.

I am currently evaluating other solutions. A few of them do not support PTA. Some of them don't have DevOps properly managed. Others don't give you the DNE facility, which is free of charge with CyberArk.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend CyberArk Enterprise Password Vault.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight.

Hybrid Cloud
    Learn what your peers think about CyberArk Enterprise Password Vault. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
    563,327 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Director at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Reseller
    Every aspect of the solution is very well integrated and it is fail-safe
    • "Every aspect of the solution is very well integrated, and even that gives comfort. It is a fail-safe kind of environment."
    • "Having a cloud version would be very helpful. You have to invest a lot of money for the infrastructure hardware so the cloud version would help."

What is our primary use case?

There are threats that get opened because of the vulnerability of privileged access that says to directly put it in a vault.

What is most valuable?

Every aspect of the solution is very well integrated, and that gives comfort. It is a fail-safe kind of environment. I think that's the fail-safe feature makes customers comfortable because there are no non-integrable stuff or cures. For example, a vault would have its own anti-virus,  its own application, its own operating system to stay hardened. It is absolutely hardened for it to be protected from the outside world.

What needs improvement?

Having a cloud version would be very helpful. You have to invest a lot of money for the infrastructure hardware so the cloud version would help.

My organization has been using this solution for a few years but I joined the company three months back.

It is very stable.

Our clients are large enterprises. It is easy to scale.

Our customers contact us for any technical support, but we are able to sort out customer issues to a very large extent. We only had to connect with CyberArk at L-3 level or L-4 level. We are able to address most of our customer's issues.

I would rate their support a nine out of ten.

We have had customers use a competitive product that CyberArk has replaced but it is not very common. It is not very easy to change your Privileged Access Management framework so easily.

CyberArk is fail-safe, it has a threat intelligence filter, and prevention threat attacks. That sets the product apart from others, and I think the other part is their ability to onboard a maximum number of resources like storage network, security, IoT devices, and RPAs. Its ability to pervasively onboard almost all critical privileges and resources across the organization is where it stands out in a really big way.

I didn't implement it. I don't believe we've had any problems implementing it. I've never heard any issues. I'd say it's neutral.

There are costs in addition to the standard licensing. There is an implementation fee. Those are additional fees and the customer has the annual maintenance, the software, and whole maintenance cost added to that. So there are additional costs besides this standard license.

What other advice do I have?

The most important phase is the discovery phase. Pay the most attention to that. Spend the most amount of time on the discovery phase, which is really the startup planning. The project becomes smoother. Book stricter guidelines on timelines and let there be a senior sponsor part of the project so that you are able to get milestones addressed quickly otherwise, these projects tend to drag longer.

In the next release, I would like to have the cloud option and all of the features that come with it.

I would rate CyberArk a nine out of ten.

Senior Presale - BU Information Security at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Feature-rich, good performance, scalable, and has a user-friendly interface
    • "It's a highly flexible solution that can adapt to each customer's needs."
    • "The initial setup could be simpler but it may not be as effective."

What is our primary use case?

We implement this solution for our customers. We are system integrators, not end-users.

The main use case is for secure access, and monitoring the access by IT administrators.

What is most valuable?

I like the performance of CyberArk Enterprise Password Vault.

Definitely, it's a reliable solution.

It has a wide range of features. They are probably the widest range of features on the market. It is the main reason customers usually select this product.

This solution works very well, and the feedback from our customers is very good.

Integration is one of the strongest capabilities of this solution. There are hundreds of integrations that are ready to use. It is continuously growing, which is one of its strengths.

The interface is really user-friendly.

It's a highly flexible solution that can adapt to each customer's needs.

Another strength, for both performance and the security levels, is the segregation of the different rules of the solution.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup could be simpler but it may not be as effective.

I've been using CyberArk Enterprise Password Vault for three years, and the company began using it in 2003.

This solution is used mainly on-premises, but the trend is to go with hybrid and cloud deployment for new projects.

CyberArk Enterprise Password Vault is a stable product.

CyberArk Enterprise Password Vault is easy to scale.

I have not contacted technical support. I deal in the presales department. I don't manage the technical aspects of delivery and support.

We needed to build a specific project that is tailored for each customer. It requires a bit of design with the first part of the project, which is a benefit because the solution has high performance and is built on the needs of the customer.

There is a bit of a setup initially, but it provides them with a good result for the project.

It's an affordable platform.

It is not the cheapest solution available on the market, but if you want a good project, you need to have the value of the solution you are selecting.

In my opinion, it is a good compromise between the cost and the benefits. I think the price is fair.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

I do not have visibility with other solutions that may be better or more up-to-date.

I would rate CyberArk Enterprise Password Vault a ten out of ten.

Security Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Easy to set up and gives us the flexibility to grant access when we need it
    • "The most valuable feature is the ability to delegate access to admins when they need it."
    • "I would prefer that this is a fully-managed service, rather than have to manage the software ourselves and keep it up to date."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is used primarily for privileged segment access and break-glass access. We also use it for log-on session recording and access control, where we can grant access to our key systems for ad-hoc use.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to delegate access to admins when they need it. It allows us to have some kind of proof on the approval process, rather than give people standing access on a full-time basis.

What needs improvement?

I would prefer that this is a fully-managed service, rather than have to manage the software ourselves and keep it up to date. A cloud-based deployment would ultimately be better for us than an on-premises appliance.

Stability has not been a problem.

We didn't have any issues with scalability, although we only have 30 or 40 systems integrated. There were not tens of thousands.

We did not need to contact technical support.

The initial setup was not very hard, although it took a little while to get it set up. The only difficult part is making sure that it is integrated with all of the applications. If you've got Active Directory then it is easy, and pretty straightforward. If instead, you have all local accounts then it can get a lot harder, although I don't think that any other application can improve it if you've got local accounts everywhere.

The actual installation that included getting it up and running was pretty quick, taking only a couple of days. Going through all of the change management and other processes took much longer, on the order of months. The more problems there are with accounts inside the organization, the longer the deployment will take.

Our in-house team was responsible for the deployment.

The price of this solution is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this product is to get the admins familiar with the setup. They have to learn how to get the process approved, especially in an ad-hoc scenario. The scheduled changes are ok, but the ad-hoc ones can be a little bit problematic if you don't have enough approvals ready to approve access.

If an organization can afford it then the Cyberark Enterprise Password Vault works well.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Security at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Its privileged session management is valuable for monitoring your inside threats, but it's a lot of work to set up
    • "Password Vault's main advantage is its scalability. We constantly see huge enterprises implementing something like this, and the privileged session management is an excellent piece. You can kind of watch videos of whatever an admin has done."
    • "There are upwards of six components you need to set it up. And you might need anywhere from two to five servers. It takes some work to set that up, especially in a larger environment."

What is our primary use case?

Companies often have an enormous amount of admin credentials out there. They want to find out how many they have, start cleaning them up, and ensure they're all kept in an encrypted vault. Password Vault is probably the top product in that space, and it's a monster to implement, but CyberArk is great at what they do.

What is most valuable?

Password Vault's main advantage is its scalability. We constantly see huge enterprises implementing something like this, and the privileged session management is an excellent piece. You can kind of watch videos of whatever an admin has done. So, for example, if an admin doesn't check out their password and fires up a session on a machine, you can see playback. Scalability and those particular features are pretty valuable for monitoring your insider threat.

Our customers haven't complained about any stability issues, and we've set Password Vault up for quite a few customers. However, the stability depends on the equipment unless they do it in the cloud. But if they're setting up on a bunch of VMs, and that VM store goes down, that's not necessarily a CyberArk problem. That's more of a problem with Windows or VMware, etc., or something like that. So I guess the stability's fine.

There are upwards of six components you need to set it up. And you might need anywhere from two to five servers. It takes some work to set that up, especially in a larger environment.

On-prem CyberArk is pretty expensive. It's pricey and you get what you pay for. It's an incredible product for what it does, but it's significantly cheaper to go to the cloud.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Password Vault seven out of 10. I'd only go that low because of how challenging the installation can be. I advise our customers to consider using CyberArk's cloud option because many people just reflexively lean toward the on-prem solution. The cloud solution is considerably less expensive. It's still complex to set up the different components and make it all work together, so I suggest you make sure you need all those components. Maybe you don't even want to use everything there, but consider the cloud version. It's the same product, but it's more straightforward and cost-effective. You're not losing any functionality.

Hybrid Cloud
    Manager Engineering at KDDI India Pvt Ltd
    Superior security, simple to use, and the technical support is good
    • "The interface is very simple to use."
    • "The installation process should be easier and more user-friendly so that you don't need to hire a third party to deploy it."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use of this solution is as a password manager.

What is most valuable?

The interface is very simple to use.

Security-wise, CyberyberArk is better than the other products.

What needs improvement?

The pricing is too expensive and should be reduced. This is our only concern. When a small industry wants to invest in these kinds of tools, they don't have the budget to spend a lot of money on security. If the price were more reasonable then many other small businesses would consider using it.

The installation process should be easier and more user-friendly so that you don't need to hire a third party to deploy it. Instead, an in-house administrator could do it.

I have been using this product for the last two years.

Over the past two years, I hardly remember us facing any large problems. We have experienced small bugs, but they release patches to fix those.

This is a scalable product. In our company, we have about 100 users, most of which are part of our DevOps team or are administrators.

We are satisfied with the technical support.

Prior to CyberArk, we were using a Microsoft product, but it didn't fulfill our entire requirement. We adopted this new solution because it met all of our needs.

The initial setup is complex. It took two or three days to complete the deployment.

We implemented this solution with the help of consultants who had experience with it.

This product is very expensive.

I have seen demonstrations of similar products by other vendors and what I found was that the security on this solution is better.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I feel that this is a good product and I recommend it. The only thing that people have to consider is pricing.

Microsoft Azure
    IrmaShattuck
    Program Manager at a recruiting/HR firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
    It did what was promised, and we never had to call support
    • "I love how easily we could operate within Password Vault and get things done. It was almost effortless."
    • "There was a situation when one of our presidents had an issue, but I can't recall the specifics."

What is our primary use case?

I've deployed Password Vault for various use cases across different industries from finance to healthcare and manufacturing.

What is most valuable?

I love how easily we could operate within Password Vault and get things done. It was almost effortless. After we went through the implementation phase, it did what was promised, and we did not have to call support. It was a flawless install. All of us had experience as well because we got our certifications. We'd worked with it for at least a year.

What needs improvement?

I've been using Password Vault for three years now.

For scalability, I'd give it a 13 on a scale of one to 10.

The installation was very smooth.

At my previous company, my budget amount was $15,000, and we didn't spend all of that. It was a larger company than the one I'm with now. It was global. We didn't spend that or come anywhere near it. They're still adding on, and I know that CyberArk will be the solution that they're going to stick with. They were hybrid, and now they're all cloud.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Password Vault 10 out of 10. If you're planning to implement Password Vault, my advice is to just let it work. Do all your use cases up front, and make sure you throw everything at them that you think will happen in your environment. Make sure that that's all addressed, so when you go to deployment, it's just easy.

Download our free CyberArk Enterprise Password Vault Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.