Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Cisco Cloud Services Router OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Cisco Cloud Services Router is #6 ranked solution in top Routers. PeerSpot users give Cisco Cloud Services Router an average rating of 9.0 out of 10. Cisco Cloud Services Router is most commonly compared to Juniper Enterprise Routers: Cisco Cloud Services Router vs Juniper Enterprise Routers. Cisco Cloud Services Router is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 66% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 26% of all views.

Download the Routers Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Cisco Cloud Services Router?

The Cisco Cloud Services Router 1000v (CSR 1000v) is a virtual-form-factor router that delivers comprehensive WAN gateway and network services functions into virtual and cloud environments. Using familiar, industry-leading Cisco IOS XE Software networking capabilities, the CSR 1000v enables enterprises to transparently extend their WANs into provider-hosted clouds. Similarly, cloud providers themselves can use it to offer enterprise-class networking services to their tenants or customers.

Cisco Cloud Services Router was previously known as Cisco CSR, Cisco Cloud Services Router 1000v, Cisco CSR 1000v.

Cisco Cloud Services Router Customers

Under Armour, HealthSparq, Adobe

Cisco Cloud Services Router Video

Cisco Cloud Services Router Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Cisco Cloud Services Router pricing:
  • "You do need to pay a licensing fee to use the solution. You can do a yearly or three-year subscription. The product itself is quite expensive. It would be ideal if they offered the product at a cheaper price."
  • "This solution is kind of expensive."
  • Cisco Cloud Services Router Reviews

Information Technology Infrastructure Manager at Alwefaq Transportation Solutions
    Easy router configuration has you online in minutes
    • "The routing service for NPLS called Layer 3-IP is fantastic."
    • "If you lose connectivity to the cloud, it is difficult to establish connectivity between hub and spoke."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution internally in our company. We have multiple sites in the UK, Middle East, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Jordan, and Egypt.

How has it helped my organization?

We had been using on-premises routers and switches, but faced connection problems. We also needed to take care of the on-premises environments.

With a cloud-based environment, we can rely on higher resilience solutions from Cisco. They are good at creating cloud-operated infrastructure. If we have issues, we can troubleshoot them centrally and it's really easy for us to manage services on the infrastructure side.

What is most valuable?

The routing service for NPLS called Layer 3-IP is fantastic.

What needs improvement?

If you lose connectivity to the cloud, it is difficult to establish connectivity between the hub and spoke.

We tried to implement VPN services but it is missing. ISR or ESR router services are also missing.

I'd like additional features connected to my network for video design, topology design, and graphing. For example, the topology provided is not enough and should include where traffic is coming and going. Normally this feature comes with firewall services, but it would be great to have it included and managed with cloud services.

Routers
    September 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Cisco, Juniper, MikroTik and others in Routers. Updated: September 2022.
    632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using the solution for three and a half years.

The solution is very stable.

Some improvements are needed in scalability. When user traffic is high, there are performance issues depending on the user and the link used to connect. Cisco is providing enough bandwidth to manage the routing, so there's room available and there shouldn't be lags in performance.

We have a mix of 500 users including our programming team that does in-house development and our administrative team.

We have not needed technical support. I'm the infrastructure engineer who opens support tickets and resolves issues with the administrative team.

We tried to use another solution but reverted back to Cisco because we have great experience working with Cisco Cloud Routers, especially on Meraki.

The initial setup is straightforward and very good. It is easy to configure the routers and get them online within a few minutes.

Deployment takes some time because you have to plan in advance for IPS, hosting, site readiness, and other details.

We implemented the solution ourselves and manage it in-house.

The yearly subscription is causing some issues with our budget. They should reduce costs for some customers. When we review budgets, management asks if there are subscription discounts because we want to reduce pricing on the IT side. Management indicates that pricing is a bit high but we haven't done comparison pricing at this point.

We conducted a proof of concept study that compared other solutions to Cisco. Apples to apples, we determined that Cisco was a great solution for our requirements.

We mainly work with Cisco, HP, and 4Gnet.

What other advice do I have?

As an end user, I would recommend Cisco because it is stable, has good performance, resiliency, high availability, quick setup, a friendly environment, and friendly interfaces that are easy to deploy and manage. You will not have the hassle of on-premises solutions such as configuration and connectivity.

You receive one product and then think of how to deploy it. You should be a highly technical person, but it's easy to use. You don't need to be a CCI to handle setup. It's a very easy deployment that will make your life easy.

I rate this solution an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud

Other
    Owner at it logic
    A solid product with good technical support and the capability to scale
    • "Overall, it is a solid product and a good router."
    • "The configuration is difficult."

What is most valuable?

Overall, it is a solid product and a good router.

The stability has been very good over the years.

The product does scale quite well. There's no question about that.

Technical support is helpful.

What needs improvement?

We need to use older versions as the newest options are very costly.

The configuration is difficult.

We find the installation process to be hard.

We have been using the solution for at least 20 years. It's been two decades at this point. We've used the solution for quite a while now.

The stability is very good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The scalability is there. If a company needs to scale this solution, it can do so.

Technical support from Cisco is quite good in India. They are helpful and responsive. We are satisfied with the level of service we receive.

The initial setup is not easy. It's a difficult process.

The deployment itself took about four to five hours or so.

What other advice do I have?

We are resellers.

We are not using the latest version right now due to the fact that it is quite expensive. We are using versions that are two to three years old.

We have been very happy with its capabilities over the many years we have used the product.

I'd recommend the solution to other organizations and companies.

I rate Cisco Cloud Services Router a nine out of ten.

Routers
    September 2022
    632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Xin He - PeerSpot reviewer
    Network Support at Rexall Pharmacy Group
    Useful for smooth migrations, high availability, and simple deployment
    • "The most valuable feature of the Cisco Cloud Services Router is it can make your migrations smooth. For example, if you want to migrate to the cloud, but you don't want to change the IP. You can extend your VLAN from on-premise to the cloud without having to change the IP."
    • "Cisco Cloud Services Router could improve the GUI."

What is our primary use case?

Cisco Cloud Services Router is used to extend the layer from the head office to the cloud.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of the Cisco Cloud Services Router is it can make your migrations smooth. For example, if you want to migrate to the cloud, but you don't want to change the IP. You can extend your VLAN from on-premise to the cloud without having to change the IP.

What needs improvement?

Cisco Cloud Services Router could improve the GUI.

I have been using Cisco Cloud Services Router for approximately

Cisco Cloud Services Router is a stable solution. Cisco is always a stable solution.

The technical from Cisco Cloud Services Router is very good. Cisco support has been always good in my experience.

The initial setup of the Cisco Cloud Services Router is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is this solution is very good to extend your layer to the cloud. There are other solutions on the market from other vendors, such as Microsoft. It is up to the user what solution best fits their needs.

When I use the solution I only use the command prompt, other users might use the GUI. When I use other solutions such as Fortigate, Palo Alto, or Juniper, I do not use the GUI either. The languages used in the command lines are very similar from solution to solution.

I rate Cisco Cloud Services Router a ten out of ten.

The technology that Cisco Cloud Services Router provides is why I rated it very high.

ClaudioCarvalho - PeerSpot reviewer
    Managing Partner at Next Digital Services
    Integrates well and reliable

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of the Cisco Cloud Services Router are the integration with Amazon and Oracle cloud.

What needs improvement?

Cisco Cloud Services Router could improve by having more features. It is lacking features, such as virtualization and containerization. Additionally, there should be increased security and connectivity between routers.

I have been using Cisco Cloud Services Router for approximately four years.

Cisco Cloud Services Router is a stable solution and we have not had any issues.

Cisco Cloud Services Router is difficult to implement.

When we move to the cloud, it's very easy to move. I use the same dashboard and the CLI. In the cloud, I have the same features I had in the data center.

I had a professional team do the implementation.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be to do the project phase without problems first and then move on from there.

I rate Cisco Cloud Services Router a nine out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Abuchi Obiegbu - PeerSpot reviewer
    Advisory Software Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Scalable and easy to set up with excellent technical support

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use this solution in the data center.

What needs improvement?

In the next release, I'd like Cisco to add automation functions and the ability to monitor the environment and network status.

I've been working with this solution for more than ten years.

This solution is scalable.

Cisco's technical support is pretty good - they have a professional support center to handle any problems and will send out an expert to help you resolve any issues.

The initial setup is easy for one device but is more complex when numerous devices need to be configured.

This solution is kind of expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would give this solution a rating of nine out of ten.