IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Catchpoint OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is Catchpoint?

Catchpoint is the enterprise-proven Digital Experience Observability industry leader, empowering teams to confidently own the end-user experience. Fortune 500 enterprises trust Catchpoint’s observability platform to provide unparalleled visibility and insight, which enables them to proactively and rapidly detect and repair problems before they impact digital user experience. Learn more at www.catchpoint.com.

Catchpoint Customers

Google, L'Oréal, Verizon, Equinix, Honeywell, and Priceline

Catchpoint Video

Archived Catchpoint Reviews (more than two years old)

Samy Senthivel - PeerSpot reviewer
Enterprise Monitoring Service Manager at a tech vendor with 5,001-10,000 employees
Global synthetic monitoring tracks system availability but drill-down for error detail is too involved
  • "We really need the API monitoring, as well as client side session monitoring, the global synthetic monitoring, to track the availability of the systems from the customer side."
  • "The thing I like most is the tech support in this company, because they have 24/7 chat support. We can chat immediately and ask them about an issue and they keep responding. They create tickets on our behalf and respond."
  • "if we need to do performance analysis, we have to click too many times. For example, if there is an issue that is caught by Catchpoint, we need to understand what the error is and at which step it failed, or which transaction that is impacted. To drill down, we have to click too many things to get the answer."
  • "Trending needs improvement. Currently, out-of-the-box, they provide only seven days availability. So, we have to do queries and we have to go into a separate analysis module, we have to run lot of queries to long-term trends."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this to monitor our applications, our global applications, like the Autodesk Store, Autodesk.com application websites, Autodesk subscription portal, Autodesk account management. So all those global websites that our customers access are monitored through Catchpoint. It's used as a global synthetic monitoring solution.

How has it helped my organization?

Catchpoint is actually catching issues before customers see them, since it's checking the sites every five minutes or even every minute, via the APIs. So, it's catching issues alerting the team proactively that there is an issue.

What is most valuable?

We really need the API monitoring, as well as client side session monitoring, the global synthetic monitoring, to track the availability of the systems from the customer side. So, it's mainly used to measure the availability and to check whether the sites are available from the customer's perspective. It's used to test it from the end-user perspective.

What needs improvement?

There are lots of areas. One is, if we need to do performance analysis, we have to click too many times. For example, if there is an issue that is caught by Catchpoint, we need to understand what the error is and at which step it failed, or which transaction that is impacted. To drill down, we have to click too many things to get the answer.

So far we have not had any issues with stability.

Scalability, since it's a specific appliance that we purchase and we consume, there is no way to scale, but it's easy to scale if we have to buy additional licenses. But it's a long process.

The thing I like most is the tech support in this company, because they have 24/7 chat support. We can chat immediately and ask them about an issue and they keep responding. They create tickets on our behalf and respond. That's the best part of Catchpoint compared to all other products. This is not a feature that is available with all of our companies. We can go to support and there is always a person sitting there and answering our questions.

We previously used Sitescope. It is a high-speed product but it was not evolving to match the technology changes that were happening in the industry, like syndicated applications, APIs, and different encryptions. It was not handling or supporting those types of things. Whereas Catchpoint supports all these things: single-page application, AJAX, different types of authentications. We wanted to move to that.

The setup was straightforward. We worked with the support team. At that time they did not have a dedicated training portal. Now, they have come up with a dedicated training portal where we can do training. It's available for all customers and you then get certification. So they have made it easy.

The price and licensing are very, very high. They have to come down on the pricing to match with the industry standard. I don't think they will be able to get customers.

During that time we evaluated New Relic. New Relic did not have an on-prem node. We had some internal applications, so we needed both internal and external application monitoring. The internal application monitoring was not supported, only the external application was supported by New Relic. Whereas, at that time, Catchpoint supported both, so that's one reason. The other reason was that Catchpoint uses a scripting language called Selenium, which is very similar to our testing framework, so it was really easy. The Selenium test scripting framework was the main reason we picked it because our team, our company, is familiar with this language, the scripting language they use for all the monitoring scripts. We also evaluated Dynatrace. Dynatrace was closer, but at that time they didn't have the same kind of on-prem node.

What other advice do I have?

I have noticed they are coming up with APIs to get metrics and then prepare dashboards. Also, they are enhancing their reports on transaction monitoring and they're coming up with solution enhancements every quarter. I really like that. In terms of advice, it can differ from company to company. For example, if you're looking for solutions like just web page monitoring or the API, I would say Catchpoint is the best one. But if requirements involve database queries, SNMP monitoring, etc., they don't have it. They're working on fixing that, I think.  But web page monitoring, when it comes to global synthetic monitoring, I recommend them for just web pages. I would rate Catchpoint at seven out of 10 overall. There are a few enhancements that we have requested, as I mentioned, such as better drill-down to get failure details. That's one of the major things. And then there is trending. Currently, out-of-the-box, they provide only seven days availability. So, we have to do queries and we have to go into a separate analysis module, we have to run lot of queries to long-term trends. Long-term trends are something that management is always keen about. Those are the areas that, if they improve, I would rate them a 10.
it_user7953 - PeerSpot reviewer
VP of Systems Engineering at a tech company with 51-200 employees
We use both pingdom and catchpoint, by far my favorite is Catchpoint

The transition to Real User metrics is not at all related to using an average. All recording and instrumentation processes will benefit through using more sophisticated and nuanced tools than a simple average. Real user metrics are an important data point, but they lack certain information you can get from external monitoring systems. We use both pingdom and catchpoint, by far my favorite is Catchpoint because I can see things like what ISP is involved with a slow request, what geographic region, etc. I can also get scatter plots and nice statistical graphs around median, geometric mean, 75th, 95th, 99th percentile.

it_user7647 - PeerSpot reviewer
Director of Development with 51-200 employees
Catchpoint Domain Override

In my previous blog A/B testing on CDN improvement we shared how to use A/B test to demonstrate the webpage performance brought by CDN. No matter what tool we used, it required customers to change their webpages to insert some JavaScript codes.

What if our goal is to minimize customer changes during the demonstration/proof of concept stage? I am going to demonstrate Catchpoint performance measurement service to achieve this goal.

Well, let’s take one step further to avoid ANY customer changes!

Catchpoint is one of the popular performance monitoring services. Many enterprises and cloud service providers buy Catchpoint solutions to monitor their websites and Internet services.

One cool Catchpoint feature is domain sharding/override. When it does page load test, Catchpoint can be configured to change the hostnames, say from A to B, in the HTML codes. By doing so Catchpoint will GET the HTTP objects from host B instead of A.

Let’s use this original webpage as an example. 82% of the page size comes from four images. I am going to do an A/B test on it. Original webpage is Test A. In Test B the four images will be delivered from EdgeCast CDN rather than the customer origin server in Singapore. This simulates actual CDN deployment on this webpage.

Step 1: I set up EdgeCast CDN services to cache the four images from the customer origin.

Step 2: I set up Catchpoint to test the original webpage from several Asia countries. This is Test A.

Step 3: I configure another test to test the original webpage again and use the domain override feature to change the original hostname (of the host of the four images) to the EdgeCast CNAME I set up in Step 1. This is Test B.

Step 4: This step is not a must-have and I use it for Control only. I add a new webpage in the customer origin. The new webpage is the same as the original webpage but in the HTML code I change the hostname of the four images to the EdgeCast CNAME I set up in Step 1. This is Test C.

I run the tests for 24 hours. Online reports: Test A vs B, Test A vs B vs C.

Below screen capture shows the page load time, response time and availability test results of Test A and B in the last two days. It shows Test B performed much better than Test A, Average Webpage Responses are 3962ms vs 5131ms, a 23% reduction. We did the test WITHOUT any customer changes!

Test A vs B
Test A vs B

You may wonder if Test B is a good simulation. Below screen capture shows the test results of all Test A, B and C. Test B and C results are similar (Average Webpage Responses are 3959ms & 4089ms respectively). I find the Catchpoint domain override feature is a good simulation of CDN deployment.

Test A vs B vs C
Test A vs B vs C

Disclosure: My company is partners with several vendors

it_user2544 - PeerSpot reviewer
Developer at a media company with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to use, full of features, outstanding support

Valuable Features:

Catchpoint is clearly the leader in the industry on pretty much every metric you look at (aside from market share...for now), and blows Keynote/Gomez out of the water when it comes to features and support. Mehdi (the CEO) is accessible at all hours of the day and night for any and all questions, and his average response time must be under an hour. Catchpoint has everything you could want in a synthetic tool, and many things that you didn't know you wanted but you are ecstatic to have. I can't say enough good things about the people that work at Catchpoint and their commitment to building the best product in their space.

Room for Improvement:

The only thing that occasionally bugs me about Catchpoint is some aspects of the UI. It's not an easy problem, and I don't know how I would solve it, but because of the large volume of data that they are presenting and the various ways to slice it, you can end up with a proliferation of windows when debugging an issue. This is something that I expect to improve in the near future, since Catchpoint has rapid releases and is extremely receptive to customer feedback.