We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
PMO Office Digital Transformation, Ministry of the Interior at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable and easy to start using, but it's difficult to modify a process
  • "The most valuable feature is that, with a visual system, you can try to have a process client before beginning the programming for the application."
  • "Camunda could be improved by making it easier to modify a process. You can program it to follow a process, but it is difficult to modify the process when the application is in use. It could also be improved by making it easier to use the visual platform without needing to be informed on that. Sometimes, we programmers haven't used it in the past, and it's a bit difficult to learn it."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of Camunda is for following a process in our applications. Camunda is a work process product. We are developing some applications and when we want them to follow a specific process, we use Camunda to help the programmers follow that process we want to achieve.

We are using a version of the free service they provide, but I'm unsure which version it is. Camunda is deployed on-premise.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Camunda for two years.

The stability is quite good. It's not used on a daily basis right now, but when we deploy the application, which is massive, it will be used daily. Camunda is stable, but there is some difficulty in changing the process.

We will see how the scalability is in a few weeks, but we are going to do some trials and testing on the scalability. For the past two years, Camunda has been used to develop a new system, a very big system application, that is going to be used here in Spain. In a few weeks, it will be used by about 1,000 final users. As far as the programmers and technical people working with it, there are about 50 people.

We haven't contacted technical support yet, but in the future, we will try to contact them in order to improve the platform and have new versions. We may go for the paid version, so we will have to contact them. We have been able to resolve any issues without contacting their technical support.

I think the setup process is simple. It's not very complex because we have installed it several times for the development area and for the production and we have not had any problems. I think deployment took no more than about two or three days—it was not difficult.

We implemented this solution through an in-house team. The installation was done internally, by the systems area in our company.

Camunda has a free service as well as a commercial service. We are using the free service.

In the future, we may pay for maintenance services. We haven't had to do any maintenance yet, but we plan to buy some package or product in order to handle the maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Camunda a seven out of ten. I would recommend the paid version of Camunda because of the difficulties we have had with the free version. It's easy to start using, but it's difficult to make changes.

Alberto Margarido
CGL at Dynamus Clube
Stable and customizable with a free open-source version available
  • "Overall, the solution has been very solid."
  • "If they could build some scripts or some configuration to get it up and running in a Docker environment, that would be good. I didn't find anything when on Docker, however, maybe they have something and I didn't see it yet."

What is our primary use case?

I mainly use the solution for learning purposes.

I primarily use the solution in order to get a clear view of my customer, including what we are doing and what processes are being made making it easy to see everything that is happening.

What is most valuable?

Overall, the solution has been very solid.

The solution is very customizable.

We're currently using the community version, which is open-source and free to use.

The solution is stable.

What needs improvement?

For the short time I have with the tool, today, I can't see something that is missing as a product and its benefits. Maybe minor things that I haven't had the opportunity to notice yet, like an easy installation using Docker or scripts where you can see the functionality quickly.

I've been using the solution for about a month or so at this point. It's still quite new to me.

The stability of the product is very good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's very reliable.

We haven't really experimented with scalability at all. We haven't used it for very long. The process we are running now does not have a large volume. Our processing is not too high today. I didn't push the framework to see how it goes with big volume data.

Currently, we have only three people that are using it in the company.

We haven't used the solution for very long and therefore haven't really had a need to reach out to technical support. As I've never been in contact with them, I can't evaluate how useful or helpful they are.

I have looked at Bonita Software a little bit, however, I haven't gotten too far in terms of studying it.

The solution's initial setup has a medium level of difficulty. It's not as easy and it's not hard. Maybe someone who is starting out and doesn't have any experience with any other framework may get into some headaches. However, I've worked with it now and for my level of expertise, it's got a medium level of difficulty to set it up.

We're testing the solution still and therefore we are using the community version right now. I wanted to take a look at the enterprise version, however, my customer would like to see more value before they agree to get into it.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers and end-users. We're currently still experimenting with the product and learning about it.

I'm using the latest version of the solution. I cannot speak to the exact version number, however.

I'd advise users considering the solution to stick to the documentation and go to their GitHub to view some staples. There is a lot of good stuff in there.

So far, we have been happy with the product and its capabilities. I would rate it at a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Camunda Platform. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
565,689 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Uday Shankar Tummala
Practice Lead at Sky Solutions, LLC
User-friendly, customizable, good support, and reasonably priced
  • "I like everything about the entire BPM that comes with the BPM suite."
  • "The migration strategy needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for migrating IBM BPM to Camunda.

How has it helped my organization?

We helped our customer to reduce their licensing and operational costs to a larger extent by proposing Camunda BPM to replace existing BPM solution. They were very much impressed with the capabilities of Camunda BPM and started migrating to Camunda BPM

What is most valuable?

I like everything about the entire BPM that comes with the BPM suite. It's more intuitive and they are enhancing the product very effectively year after year.

It's a customizable product and it's user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

I don't see many issues with this product.

The migration strategy needs to be improved. Most of the financial institutions in North America are looking towards open source BPM to replace their existing existing BPM platform.Camunda has already started working on a plugin to mgirate any kind of BPM workflows to Camunda BPM seamlessly. They have just released a beta plugin to migrate Legacy BPM processes to Camunda BPM. If they make it as a full-featured version, that would be a lot of help with migration projects.

I have been using Camunda BPM for six years.

We are using the latest version of this solution.

It's a stable solution. We have not had any issues.

It's highly scalable and offers high availability. We used eight in a containerless server and also on a shared server.

I have work with different organizations, particularly with Camunda BPM. These organizations that we have recently started with are still in the beginning stages of the practice. Previously, we had heavy usage and had to support two to three clients simultaneously.

Technical support has been very helpful, even during the RFP phase. If we needed to verify anything then we could speak to the sales head directly, as well as to the product team.

Previously, I worked with JBPM, which was an open-sourced BPM.

The initial setup was straightforward. We didn't have any issues.

The only issues we could have would be with our code.

When compared with the proprietary products, the pricing costs are much less, even though it is an enterprise edition. It's very minimal.

My customers and I are very happy with the pricing cost and the features.

Pricing depends on the number of tasks we use.

Yes. We evaluated JBPM and Activiti BPM before finalizing Camunda

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution, especially if they are spending a large amount of money using proprietary BPM tools, such as Pega BPM.

Dmitry Kositsyn
CTO at Unitarius
Flexible with compact and clear source code
  • "The flexibility is great."
  • "We have faced problems with the performance."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The flexibility is great.

I appreciate the compact and clear source code.

What needs improvement?

We have faced problems with the performance.

Camunda has two options: the Camunda main platform and Camunda Cloud. Right now we are trying to solve problems with the Camunda Cloud and there are significant problems with performance. We communicated this with the Camunda team. We're a member of the Camunda community and we try to solve those problems with them.

Community support is lacking and you need to pay for enterprise support.

I'd like to have the ability to buy into the data model. There are no data models in Camunda and we need information about variables and process instances. In other BPMs or other big BPM platforms, for example, IBM, there is that feature.

I've been using the solution for a few years at this point.

We've had some issues with the performance of the product, particularly on the cloud deployment.

We have about 100 people using the solution at this time.

We only have developers that use it. We are a development company.

We didn't buy Camunda enterprise support. We only use community support and we don't have, to be honest, enough community support. It's not very helpful. We have many unanswered questions.

We've worked with many different solutions, including IBM, BPM, Oracle, SAP, and VPN platforms, among others.

I like Camunda due to the fact that I can embed it into our infrastructure applications. The library, not the whole sales server.

We use the community version, which is free. I'm not sure of enterprise pricing.

You do need to pay for the enterprise level to get support. Otherwise, you have access to community support, and it is lacking.

What other advice do I have?

We are end-users of the solution.

I'd advise potential new users to learn BPM notation. It is an issue due to the fact that we have to propagate BPM notation to our customers as a lot of customers don't know what is it and how to use and why BPM is a good solution.

Currently, this is the best solution compared to global JBPM and other open-source BPM platforms.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

Rodrigo Carlstrom
BPM Consultant at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
A developer-friendly platform that enables us to measure the life cycle all relevant processes
  • "I love that Camunda is a very developer-friendly platform, and my customers have evaluated the pricing as reasonable."
  • "I think that Camunda can try to do better when it comes to solving the complexities of all the products in its software stack."

What is our primary use case?

I'm the Leader of the Center of Excellence at my company with 18 years of experience in BPM platforms, and my team works with Camunda on several different projects where we deploy Camunda either on-premises at our clients' sites or through the cloud.

Our clients that are using Camunda range from a large enterprise media company in Brazil to banks and central industry (e.g. energy industry). We have found it to be very useful in multiple segments of any enterprise. We now have about 1,000 users of Camunda in all.

What is most valuable?

I love that Camunda is a very developer-friendly platform, and my customers have evaluated the pricing as reasonable. Personally, I also like that the Camunda platform as a whole helps us to easily measure the life cycle of all the relevant processes. For example, the Camunda platform includes Cawemo for business analysts, Cockpit for process engine configuration, and modeling tools for developers. Then you have Optimize, which is helpful in managing processes and continuously improving on them.

What needs improvement?

We haven't run into many problems, because Camunda provides everything we need to delegate solutions for all the technologies (for example, Java clusters) and programming languages that we use. However, I do think that Camunda can try to do better when it comes to solving the complexities of all the products in its software stack.

I have been using Camunda for eight years.

Camunda is very reliable but you need to understand the process engineer execution in order to provide solutions that are synchronized and, thus, stable.

It's a very scalable platform in my experience.

The Camunda installation is very simple. For example, if your project requires standalone applications, Camunda can provide the necessary external components to complete the installation. The setup can be a little more complex when compared with other applications such as JBoss, but overall it only needs a few extra configuration steps.

The evaluation of my customers on pricing is that it is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

I feel that the Camunda engine is a very scalable platform, and compares well with many other BPM platforms that I work with.

I would rate Camunda a ten out of ten.

Zoran Cerkez
Owner/CEO at IT SPHERE
Cost-effective with a powerful decoupled architecture, but more examples of using .NET should be available
  • "I can use any other tools to create services and the UI, and then use them together with the Camunda BPMN engine."
  • "I'm from the .NET world and I would like to use it, rather than Java."

What is most valuable?

The feature that I like most is the decoupling architecture. I can use any other tools to create services and the UI, and then use them together with the Camunda BPMN engine.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more examples of using .NET and Camunda. I'm from the .NET world and I would like to use it, rather than Java. For Java, Camunda is great. For .NET I have opinion that need more real life examples. For example I woudl like to see example of  .NET Blazor UI with Camunda.

Also, I would like to see more examples of how to work with a team of users.

I am new to Camunda BPM and have been using it for only one year.

It is stable and I don't have any problems with it.

I don't have any experience with scaling Camunda in practice. However, I have read about it and feel that it's a scalable solution. We can install a lot of different installation and they can work together.

We didn't have any experience with technical support.

The initial setup is easy. I wouldn't say that it is complex at all. They deployment takes only a day. If you don't want to use something specific then you can install it in two hours.

We use the open-source version, which can be used at no cost.

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend the open-source version of Camunda, which can be used free of charge, for any software development company that would like to implement BPM in their software solutions. For software companies, it is a very good product.

You can have BPM in an engine and you can use external software solutions to create the UI, and you don't need to pay anything for licensing. This means that you can incorporate it fully, and use as much as you need. You can expand your software solutions if you want, without any license, which I think is great.

This is a good product but because it's open-source, it's always missing something.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Uday Shankar Tummala
Practice Lead at Sky Solutions, LLC
An open-source, easy-to-deploy, and stable solution with microservice orchestration
  • "It is open-source. It supports microservice orchestration. This is what we are really interested in. We can customize our products depending on the use cases."
  • "They have a migration plugin that can be used to migrate from one BPM to another BPM. It is in the beta stage since last year. If they can make it available in the market, it would be great. We are going to have a couple of migration projects for migrating from IBM BPM to Camunda, and this plugin would be useful. I have already discussed this with them two weeks ago and asked them to look into this and add it as a feature. We are expecting this plugin to be available in the next version. This is the only requirement we have at present. They keep on coming up with different features, which is helping us a lot. Its latest release that came out last month was awesome."

What is our primary use case?

We are currently concentrating majorly on our clients in telecommunication. We are also working with new and existing federal clients and proposing Camunda Platform to them.

We are using its latest version. We are currently in the development phase. It is in our local environment, but we are planning to be cloud-based. Going forward, we will create a Jenkins Pipeline and deploy it onto the Azure cloud.

What is most valuable?

It is open-source. It supports microservice orchestration. This is what we are really interested in. We can customize our products depending on the use cases.

What needs improvement?

They have a migration plugin that can be used to migrate from one BPM to another BPM. It is in the beta stage since last year. If they can make it available in the market, it would be great. We are going to have a couple of migration projects for migrating from IBM BPM to Camunda, and this plugin would be useful. I have already discussed this with them two weeks ago and asked them to look into this and add it as a feature. We are expecting this plugin to be available in the next version. This is the only requirement we have at present. They keep on coming up with different features, which is helping us a lot. Its latest release that came out last month was awesome.

I have been using this solution for five years.

It is stable. I didn't face any issues in the production or development phase.

I have interacted with their technical support, and they are very helpful. When I have to work on any POC, I also directly work with the product team.

Its initial setup is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to verify the technology stack that they already have in place. They should check the orchestration part and see if they need to take care of any redesigning.

I would rate Camunda Platform a nine out of ten.

Head Of Applications & Data Architecture at a maritime company with 501-1,000 employees
Effective logic platform creation, reliable, and priced well
  • "The headless nature of the Camunda Platform is something that has helped us to build our own logic and platforms on it."
  • "The cockpit features of the Camunda Platform can be improved to make it a bit more user-friendly, in terms of providing a bit more user experience for non-technical users. There could be some additional documentation added."

What is our primary use case?

We have multiple B2B services running for our customers. We have approximately 120 workflows and are eventually migrating everything to the Camunda Platform. We have approximately 25 workflows on Camunda currently running.

What is most valuable?

The headless nature of the Camunda Platform is something that has helped us to build our own logic and platforms on it.

What needs improvement?

The cockpit features of the Camunda Platform can be improved to make it a bit more user-friendly, in terms of providing a bit more user experience for non-technical users. There could be some additional documentation added.

I have been using the Camunda Platform for approximately one year.

I would rate the stability of the Camunda Platform an eight out of ten.

There are some improvements needed.

The solution is scalable, it can fit any size business.

The technical support is good. However, the agent is not in the position to understand our use case for them to report to us on time. The speed and training of the support agents could improve.

I rate the support of the Camunda Platform a seven out of ten.

I have used K2 and some other workflow solutions previously.

The initial installation was not difficult for us because we had already some experience with the solution.

The price of the solution is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is you have to be a bit optimistic and you need to see if this solution is the right fit. You have to determine if you are looking for a low-code platform or a headless platform. There is a misunderstanding between multiple products and the Camunda Platform being a headless BPMN, it is not a low-code platform.

I rate Camunda Platform an eight out of ten.

Download our free Camunda Platform Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.