IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Axway AMPLIFY API Management OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Axway AMPLIFY API Management is #11 ranked solution in top API Management tools. PeerSpot users give Axway AMPLIFY API Management an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. Axway AMPLIFY API Management is most commonly compared to Apigee: Axway AMPLIFY API Management vs Apigee. Axway AMPLIFY API Management is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 74% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.

Download the API Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Axway AMPLIFY API Management?

Axway API Management Plus combines API lifecycle management, secure integration services, monitoring and analytics to help you innovate faster and heighten ecosystem engagement. It is part of the Axway AMPLIFY data integration and engagement platform, which also includes unified app development for mobile to provide a complete solution for rapid change and innovation.

Axway AMPLIFY API Management was previously known as Vordel Application Gateway, Axway API Management Plus, Axway API Management, AMPLIFY API Management.

Axway AMPLIFY API Management Customers

Engie Group, Allianz

Axway AMPLIFY API Management Video

Axway AMPLIFY API Management Reviews

Igmar Rautenbach - PeerSpot reviewer
Head: B2B Solutions at Trustlink (Pty) Ltd
Good documentation, strong security functionality and offers great flexibility
  • "There's drag and drop functionality so that you do not need to have a senior expert developer to make use of the tool. You can get more of your staff trained up to be able to use it as it's not overly technical."
  • "The installation process is a bit complex and it could be a lot simpler."

What is our primary use case?

We make use of Axway's API gateway API management tool.

Its integration with middle wear is similar to ESB. We provide integrations as we are a swift services bureau. We've got customers that are banks and in some use cases. We integrate these banks with their own back office and we tend to provide integration for that.

We also make use of the solution to build a marketplace of financial services, which is basically our own solution.

For other customers, we do integration of the various source systems, back-office systems, legacy systems, etc. We also do file transformation where we take messages for customers in their environments and translate it to industry formats.

What is most valuable?

There's drag and drop functionality so that you do not need to have a senior expert developer to make use of the tool. You can get more of your staff trained up to be able to use it as it's not overly technical.

It provides very strong security functionality to protect information in an easier way.

It's more of a benchmark for financial services. You can better protect the information and customer information as it's got a very strong focus on security.

The flexibility is very good. You can do on-premise and you can do cloud. That's really a strong factor in our market as many large customers in our market still want to have an on-premise solution due to the fact that they want to maintain control over their data.

Previously, the solution did not have a subscription as an option, however, now it also has a subscription model, which is great.

The documentation is fairly good and readily available.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be more competitive.

The installation process is a bit complex and it could be a lot simpler.

Currently, there's a strong focus on microservices, which is already there and already available. They're already able to deploy in dockerized containers. In that sense, there's nothing that I can actually see that is missing from my side.

We've been dealing with the solution for the last three years.

July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Axway, Google, Amazon and others in API Management. Updated: July 2022.
622,358 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The product has got strong security features, from a stability point of view. There's a large footprint in the financial services sector, where you deal with daily transactions in the millions. It has a very strong focus on stability, and our experience as well has been that, as we also use it in a payments environment, it's been proven to be quite stable.

We have probably eight people who make use of the solution in our organization.

It is a solution that is strong enough to be used by enterprise-level customers. That is the target market. However, it provides such strong features, that it is used in our environment by FinTech startups, and also by other mid-range customers that are not really at the enterprise level. It solves their issue of integration and to decouple their back-office systems so that they can develop one in a specific area, and make their system changes. It's a very versatile product; many organizations can benefit from it.

The solution is scalable. That is a benefit of the platform in itself. It provides you with scalability so that you don't have to develop all your back-office systems. The product itself is scalable in the sense that you can spin up additional environments very quickly.

Its price scalability is also very good as you don't necessarily pay for extra usage. You pay a fixed subscription. In terms of dealing with high volumes, it is also scalable in the sense that you can just add processing capacity where you need to.

We actually provide support to customers. We provide remote support as well as on-premise support. From a support point of view, we are happy, as it provides a lot of analytics. With the analytics, you can very quickly drill through transactions and see where there are issues.

We don't foresee any difficulty with the support of the solution, and we are support providers. It's always important to have someone, to have a vendor that provides you with at least level three support so that your operational teams can be at their best productivity-wise.

The support desk is very good. I deal with them regularly. You raise a ticket as normal and they will then guide you through to a resolution.

The initial setup is a bit complex.

It is now Dockerized containers. That makes the whole process of installation and upgrades much more simplified. Their version 7.7, the last version, means that from here on there will not be a big change. You have to completely build an environment, however, after that, you will only patch it.

It's software that has complexity. It's a middleware system that is set up in various environments, however, it needs to align with the corporate policies on security and DMZ. You have to design it and then you have to build it. You probably will be okay during implementation if you make use of certified technicians to assist you with building the solution.

The positive with the solution is that, once you are operational, you should be able to maintain the solution with a very small team. There are instances where there's a footprint of multiple installations - more than 20 for a global organization. Yet, they've got just one core team that actually maintains all of those installations. That illustrates the sort of scalability it has when it comes to supporting a large footprint.

If our clients need it, we can provide maintenance for them. We can do tasks such as patching, updates, etc. Customers, of course, can also handle maintenance themselves.

It's best to get a professional technician to handle the installation as you want to make sure that it's configured correctly to get the best use out of it. Once you are operational, you can really make use of your own skills to maintain it.

The pricing is fair. They're still investing in development and provide much-needed functionality and with the assurance that it will not leak your data or provide you with gaps in your risk. From a pricing point of view, I don't think it's on the high side. I would say it's a mid-market price and there's flexibility in their pricing options.

We evaluated a number of API solutions, including WSO2, Apigee, and IBM and in the typical use cases where we deal with enterprise and financial customers. We found that some of the solutions either did not have good enough documentation, good enough support or maybe a lack of on-premise functionality. Pricing on some options was also an issue. We made the decision to use Axway after looking at it and others across these and a variety of other parameters.

For example, in the case of WSO2, our Financial Services client made use of it, however, for us, it was very difficult to understand and to problem solve that solution, and documentation played a role as it wasn't the best.

We're also partners with IBM. The platform for us, the number one issue, is its price. On top of that, it's really more for the adoption in a mid-market space.

We looked at Apigee and others where it's more power-orientated and that doesn't solve the problem that financial services, healthcare, and other vendors had as they wanted to have better security and have the data in on-premise.

What we found, in the European market at least, was that Axway has very strong links to financial services, transport logistics, healthcare, and banks. These are its primary industries. For us, it was important that the solution we chose had a strong knowledge base across those industries, and not only focused on a specific industry.

Some of the other vendors have got a very wide focus. For us it was easier to find agreements when looking at Axway's Roadmap. It was really important to see, that the business is focused around the solution and they execute on their Roadmap and develop out the solution continuously.

What other advice do I have?

We're largely a customer, although we are consultants and refer Axway often.

While we use the solution's cloud deployment model, we also engage with the on-premises version as well.

I'd advise other companies considering a solution like this to first go and determine their strategy around APIs in their business. That's really important. There needs to be a plan around how a company is going to manage APIs. A business needs to ask itself: What is the digital transformation strategy? They need to approach this as a strategic investment and already have some strategy behind it.

It really is core to your digital transformation, to your ability to unlock new revenue channels for a lot of businesses or to reduce cost in your back office systems. Therefore, there must be some sort of strategic benefit that you see before you actually evaluate API platforms.

Once you've got a strategy, you're sure that this matches your strategy. You probably need to also look at the first use cases that you want to do. You have to find a use case that shows a business benefit to deploying. It doesn't help you implement the solution just so that lots of people can use it for different things. You must find some anchor or use case that you will be able to sell. Then it will become a benefit to your internal business.

From there on it's really, really important to identify integration partners that are certified that can actually assist you from a business point of view, to deploy quickly. The quicker you get the benefit, the quicker you get the new revenue from whatever you want it to do. After that, it's crucial to internalize the knowledge around the solution. It is important to do good skills transfer so that you can have confidence in using the solution long-term.

Overall, I would rate the solution nine out of ten.

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Leandro Barbosa - PeerSpot reviewer
Product Management at edi-labs sistemas
A flexible solution with a useful portal for documentation
  • "We like the portal for documentation a lot."
  • "The portal still has room for improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We use Axway AMPLIFY API Management for bank payments and bank transactions.

What is most valuable?

We like the portal for documentation a lot. We also like the gateway. It has a lot of flexibility in terms of trying to meet our specific needs.

What needs improvement?

The portal still has room for improvement. This is in terms of speeding up the overall process of creating new documentation and new information about the APIs.

They should also improve the way that we upgrade from one version to another. In our case, it's been very troublesome. Technical support, although it's very good, there is room for improvement.

Our company has worked with this solution for five years.

Axway AMPLIFY API Management is very stable. We haven't had any problems in terms of stability.

Scalability is very good.

Technical support is very good. They communicate and provide answers very fast, but I think there's room for improvement.

The initial setup of Axway AMPLIFY API Management isn't easy, but it's not extremely hard in any sense. It becomes complex when you have local customizations. When a customer requires some changes to the UI to get it according to their look and feel, it can get complicated. It takes about two months to implement this solution.

The company evaluated Apigee and CA API. I believe we chose Axway AMPLIFY API Management because of scalability and local support.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Axway AMPLIFY API Management for scalability and for how it's open for customizations. We can customize it to accomplish your specific needs, like the look and feel. But we still have some issues when we do a lot of customization and when migrating from one version to another.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Axway AMPLIFY API Management a nine.

July 2022
622,358 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Director, Head of Transformation at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Gives us quick engagement but is expensive
  • "I don't believe the Salesforce has been fully utilized yet. It gives us quick engagement."
  • "It would be great if they have an asset report. It's hard to get support for that."

What is our primary use case?

We use it as a transport mechanism.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Axway for two to three years.

We faced some complications with the environment during the setup. That's an issue we've experienced before. The support is in Malaysia so it's hard for us to get support or understanding. The biggest challenge is always the correct time zone.

Our partners offer us support.

Before Axway, we are using RPG, which is more on the Cloud and open-source engagement. Management decided to want to go for one price set. Axway is a good product according to Gartner which is why we started to adopt it.

The initial setup was complex. We deployed through our partners. They helped us to set it up properly.

I would classify it as being expensive.

What other advice do I have?

You should have an understanding of the capability of the API. MuleSoft has a very straightforward and good framework that allows the customer to follow through. They understand how we can create and maximize capability in many ways. With Axway, if you start to use and understand it, then you are able to enhance it. However, that needs time to develop. It also takes a lot of time to actually bring it up to the principal site.

I would rate Axway a seven out of ten. Not a ten because of the pricing and technical support.

Chief Integration Architect at a logistics company with 10,001+ employees
Good security enforcement and throttling capabilities, but the policy-related functions need to be improved
  • "The most valuable features are security enforcement and throttling."
  • "The API Mocking tools need to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We have a service running on Xray Cloud and we have established an internal API gateway platform. It is used for customer-centric APIs.

How has it helped my organization?

This product allows us to abstract the customer interface from the internal APIs.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are security enforcement and throttling.

What needs improvement?

The API Mocking tools need to be improved. To start with an API-first approach would benefit this product.

We sometimes have issues with some of the functions because they do not work very well. Specifically, there are some policy-related functions that should be enhanced for better usability and maintenance.

The developer portal is restricted and it should be enhanced to handle direct API managers. This would be a plus because right now, the strategy is more focused on AMPLIFY, which is hosted in the cloud. However, we are not always interested in publishing our API on the cloud from the vendor. Rather, we want to have it in our own cloud. The only product that we can install on-premises is the API Portal, and it is restricted.

We began working with Axway AMPLIFY API Management one year ago.

Technical support is good. We get the support that is required.

I have worked with some open-source products, but that is another aspect.

The initial setup is not complex.

What other advice do I have?

We do not use point-to-point APIs.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Download our free API Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Axway, Google, Amazon, and more!
Updated: July 2022