Axway AMPLIFY API Management OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Axway AMPLIFY API Management is the #18 ranked solution in top API Management tools. PeerSpot users give Axway AMPLIFY API Management an average rating of 7.0 out of 10. Axway AMPLIFY API Management is most commonly compared to Apigee: Axway AMPLIFY API Management vs Apigee. Axway AMPLIFY API Management is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 73% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 18% of all views.

Download the API Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2023

What is Axway AMPLIFY API Management?

Axway API Management Plus combines API lifecycle management, secure integration services, monitoring and analytics to help you innovate faster and heighten ecosystem engagement. It is part of the Axway AMPLIFY data integration and engagement platform, which also includes unified app development for mobile to provide a complete solution for rapid change and innovation.

Axway AMPLIFY API Management was previously known as Vordel Application Gateway, Axway API Management Plus, Axway API Management, AMPLIFY API Management.

Axway AMPLIFY API Management Customers

Engie Group, Allianz

Axway AMPLIFY API Management Video

Axway AMPLIFY API Management Reviews

Sudhanshu Singh - PeerSpot reviewer
Associate Software Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
We get stability, scalability, and security
  • "The most valuable feature of the solution is security."
  • "Sometimes we find bugs where certain calls are not returning all the data we need."

What is our primary use case?

There are APIs, which we call application programming interfaces, in IT. These are the calls, which generally take the data from one place and send it to the other. Their mode of operation is simply transferring the data from one place to the other. APIs are handled by their own gateways and their own management. Axway AMPLIFY API Manager is a tool used to manage API calls. Because they contain sensitive data, security is important and is applied through the use of APIs. The API Manager is an interactive tool that allows applications to communicate with each other. The solution also facilitates data transfer, which can be secured through the use of APIs.

The solution can be deployed both on-prem and the cloud, but 99 percent of the customers for which I have worked, deploy on the cloud. Both AWS and Azure but most of the time the solution is deployed on AWS.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of the solution is security. I haven't seen a single case of hacking in the past five years. Axway AMPLIFY API Manager is secure.

I can interact the solution with another, for example, ELK, that's another AWS tool, or Kibana, which works quite well. We require some configuration changes, of course, but once it is done, everything is visible and we can interact with the other solutions. Axway AMPLIFY API Manager is quite user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes we find bugs where certain calls are not returning all the data we need. This means the data can become obsolete and non-visible. This needs to be fixed.

I have been using the solution for five years.

January 2023
Find out what your peers are saying about Axway, Google, Amazon and others in API Management. Updated: January 2023.
670,523 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The number of calls API Gateway Manager handles ranges from 10 to 100 for some customers. For high-end traffic customers, the number of calls can range from 70,000 to 80,000 in 10 minutes. We can understand the magnitude of the number of calls. The solution is stable and shows no variation. Axway AMPLIFY API Manager has a huge capacity to deflect changes.

The solution is scalable.

We occasionally need help from the support team of Axway because some of the issues are very technical, and even go above our heads. The technical team is good enough to address the issues. When an issue is really difficult they also help us by raising an immediate ticket to the problem-management team and working with that team to resolve the issue. The technical team is quite helpful.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

Axway also has competition from other tools, such as AWS Gateway and Google Apigee. However, it is a young tool compared to these others, and it is emerging nicely because it has its own product and is communicative with the cloud, not just Google. It is also interactive with other tools. For example, not just API, but also B2Bi for the Axway organization. Therefore, the solution captures the market well. The sales or product teams of the higher management of this company must have a very competitive price to sell to the end users.

Axway provides good documentation that newcomers can easily follow, but I believe the initial setup would be tough for someone new. Experienced employees know where everything is and how to do their job, so it would be difficult for a new hire to get up to speed.

For an experienced person, I give the initial setup a ten out of ten.

Deployment can be considered a hundred lines of code and some a thousand lines. For a simple deployment, it takes 10-15 seconds. And if the environment connectivity is good enough to respond and there is some heavy code that is being deployed, it takes around 30-60 seconds max, if we are referring to the cloud, where the connectivity for the long duration of the calls is there. The total deployment time is one minute to finish up. From the industrial point of view, Europe has a major chunk of users followed by, the US, and then Australia or the Asia-Pacific region.

What other advice do I have?

I give the solution an eight out of ten. The solution is highly emerging in the market. Plus, it is easy to understand and provides good jobs in this market. Therefore, I would say it is a niche tool that is one of a kind.

In my current organization, there is a limited set of people who can use the solution because it is a licensed product. Not every customer has the requirement to use it. However, in my previous company, every other person was using the solution. Every customer who was engaged with us used Axway AMPLIFY API Manager because it was a product-based organization.

The solution has received positive feedback from the organizations that are using it. However, not every day is perfect; sometimes there are glitches or connectivity issues. But even with these issues, some customers have been using the solution for more than five or six years. In fact, the number of users of the solution has increased by three times since I started working with it. From my experience, customers are loving Axway AMPLIFY API Manager.

This is a product-based solution, so not all the information can be found on Google. Axway AMPLIFY API Manager is not open source. Some features are hidden behind the license pack that Axway sells to customers. I believe that if the organization is compatible enough or has enough money to purchase the solution, then it's a great solution. The documentation is great. And if the organization is capable enough to hire experts for the solution, then they won't have issues working with Axway AMPLIFY API Manager.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Project Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
The UI and UX are quite good and easy to understand, but the tech support needs to be easier to contact and more helpful
  • "This platform can be highly scalable."
  • "In terms of customer service, the company needs to be easier to contact, and the support team needs to understand the situation and the product itself better."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for our e-commerce clients.

What is most valuable?

The UI and UX are quite good and easy to understand. I think if a company has a specific IT admin employee dedicated to this solution, it will be very simple and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

In terms of customer service, the company needs to be easier to contact, and the support team needs to understand the situation and the product itself better. Sometimes, in our recent experience, we noticed that our engineers were much more advanced than the tech support. Our team found some challenges, problems, and issues. We sat down together and found the solution ourselves.

I have been working with this solution for about six months.

So far, the stability is good, but it hasn't been tested for a heavier environment yet, and it should be.

This platform can be highly scalable. At the moment, there are 24 people using this solution within my organization. There are about ten engineers, two project managers, and five people from the IT department. The rest are other software engineers. Three people, the developers themselves, are involved with maintenance for the solution.

I would rate the technical support as a three out of five.

The solution was already installed when I joined the company, so I'm not sure, but according to some team members, it took a few hours to set up.

Our business partner handled the installation from the vendors side, and then we continued with our own team.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure about this product yet, so it is 50/50 whether I would recommend it to someone or not.

I would rate this solution as a seven out of ten. Other similar products have similar features, so this solution doesn't have anything that is more advanced.

Hybrid Cloud

January 2023
670,523 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Chief Integration Architect at a logistics company with 10,001+ employees
Good security enforcement and throttling capabilities, but the policy-related functions need to be improved
  • "The most valuable features are security enforcement and throttling."
  • "The API Mocking tools need to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We have a service running on Xray Cloud and we have established an internal API gateway platform. It is used for customer-centric APIs.

How has it helped my organization?

This product allows us to abstract the customer interface from the internal APIs.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are security enforcement and throttling.

What needs improvement?

The API Mocking tools need to be improved. To start with an API-first approach would benefit this product.

We sometimes have issues with some of the functions because they do not work very well. Specifically, there are some policy-related functions that should be enhanced for better usability and maintenance.

The developer portal is restricted and it should be enhanced to handle direct API managers. This would be a plus because right now, the strategy is more focused on AMPLIFY, which is hosted in the cloud. However, we are not always interested in publishing our API on the cloud from the vendor. Rather, we want to have it in our own cloud. The only product that we can install on-premises is the API Portal, and it is restricted.

We began working with Axway AMPLIFY API Management one year ago.

Technical support is good. We get the support that is required.

I have worked with some open-source products, but that is another aspect.

The initial setup is not complex.

What other advice do I have?

We do not use point-to-point APIs.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Download our free API Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Axway, Google, Amazon, and more!
Updated: January 2023