IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Apigee OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Apigee is #1 ranked solution in top API Management tools and top API Testing Tools. PeerSpot users give Apigee an average rating of 8 out of 10. Apigee is most commonly compared to Microsoft Azure API Management: Apigee vs Microsoft Azure API Management. Apigee is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 73% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.
Apigee Buyer's Guide

Download the Apigee Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Apigee?

Apigee is a platform for developing and managing APIs. Apigee offers an interface for your core services by wrapping them with a proxy layer which is then accessed by other developers. With Apigee, you can design and build APIs and then securely share their services and data without exposing any code.

Because app developers make HTTP requests to an API proxy rather than directly to your services, your services are separated from the developers. All the developer needs to know is the URL of the API proxy endpoint, necessary query parameters, authorization credentials (if they exist), and the response data format.

The API proxy isolates the app developer from your backend service. Therefore, you are free to change the service implementation if the public API remains consistent. By maintaining a consistent frontend API, existing client apps will continue to work regardless of changes on the backend.

Key capabilities of the Apigee API management platform include:

• Security: Protect APIs, messages, and backends with configurable policies such as OAuth, API key verification, XML/JSON threat protection, and access control.

• API gateway: Secure and mediate the traffic between clients and backends, and between a company’s APIs and the developers who use the APIs.

• Developer portal: Attract and engage application developers, enabling them to discover, explore, purchase, and test APIs and register to access and use the APIs.

• API console: The console helps developers learn and work with APIs.

• API lifecycle management: Manage the process of designing, developing, publishing, deploying, and versioning APIs.

• Automated documentation: Automate the development of API documentation and software development kits.

• Machine learning: Utilize machine learning and analytics to generate actionable insights and reports.
  • API monitoring: Apigee offers monitoring tools for API troubleshooting, security, and optimization.

Reviews from Real Users:

Apigee stands out among its competitors for a number of reasons. Several major ones are its rich developer portal, its advanced analytics, and its central monitoring system.

Carlos R., a software architect at Caja Los Andes writes, “The central monitoring feature is the most valuable. It also provides security for the APIs and high availability for our use cases. Apigee is the best product in the industry in comparison to other API management solutions. It helps in fast development, which is a top point. It also supports a lot of industry standards and has excellent documentation.”

An associate vice president at a tech services company notes, “The analytics function and the developer portal are the two valuable features of Apigee. The analytics part is very good, and the developer portal is quite rich in features. The authentication mechanisms are quite easily built into Apigee, which is something that most of the other products have also now started supporting.”

Apigee Customers

Adobe, advance.net, Amadeus, AT&T, Bechtel, Belly, Burberry, Chegg, Citrix, Dell, eBay, Equifax, GameStop, First Data, Globe, HCSC, Intralinks, Kao, Meredith, Mitchell, Orange, Pearson

Apigee Video

Apigee Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Apigee pricing:
  • "It was fairly expensive. I don't know what the standard pricing is. I want to say that it's something like $80,000 for 800 million requests (approximately) a year."
  • "It is a bit on the expensive side. Its licensing cost is a bit high, and that's where we've seen people going back on their decisions."
  • "The cost of the licensing is based on the number of API calls that are made."
  • "In Latin America, Apigee is expensive. It's not for small businesses; it's more for big businesses."
  • "Apigee is subject to licensing fees."
  • Apigee Reviews

Senior Software Engineering Manager & Directector of Architecture at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
    Good automation and documentation with good performance
    • "Items around the mobilization of the API interface and the ability to automate validations for our APIs are the most valuable aspects."
    • "They have an external developer platform that was a little bit painful."

What is our primary use case?

It is an API gateway. It provides protection to our backend services.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has improved our organization by formalizing the API interfaces. Through API specification documents, we can automate our documentation of those APIs and we can make it easier for our customers to integrate as it's a standard way of defining those APIs.

What is most valuable?

Items around the mobilization of the API interface and the ability to automate validations for our APIs are the most valuable aspects.

What needs improvement?

We have looked at MuleSoft as well, which is a competitor. MuleSoft has a richer set of integrations for an iPaaS solution. There's an IP gateway that we're using Apigee for, however, it cannot be used as an iPaaS, whereas the MuleSoft solution can be used as both an API gateway and an iPaaS. We've started talking to Google about their iPaaS solution, however, it doesn't play nice yet.  They have an external developer platform that was a little bit painful. They do have some built-in developer tools, however, you can build an external development portal. It would be nice to have a built-in bundle that was more complete.
    Apigee
    June 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Apigee. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
    610,045 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've used the solution for about two years.

I'm confident in the stability of the solution. It is very reliable and has good performance.

I'm quite confident of the scalability. I did do some comparisons between MuleSoft and Apigee, and a third one whose name slips my mind at the moment. With Apigee, we don't have to think about scaling. There are still some limits, however, you can buy up. They have 80 million transactions a year, 80 million or 800 million, however, you can buy up if you start to exceed that. On some of the other platforms, you have to post the service yourself and you have to make sure that you were managing scale. That was one thing that is an advantage on Apigee. There are something like 60,000 users using the solution, however, our load plan around it is more so that I don't think we've fully deployed it to the extent that we plan to. It's probably a small effect of that. The number of users that are impacted by it is probably in the order of nearly 10,000. It's not being used as much as we would like. We're still ramping up and prioritizing people to be building around. Some of our existing technology does not traverse through it. Over time, we do plan to extend it until all of our external-facing interfaces go through Apigee.

We underutilized technical support initially. We have since engaged in a better way. There's a lot of documentation out there. They were helpful through the sales process to make sure we understood things, however, once we passed that, the support was more tactical and less strategic. We needed to go to third parties to get strategic support.

I did not previously use a different solution.

The setup itself was not complicated, however, the learning curve to integrate into our platform was way too complicated. It took over a year for us, from the time we purchased it until the time that we actually were running APIs through it. The ramp-up time took too long. I would rate the solution a three out of five. I can't blame the vendor alone. It's also due to what I did or did not do. We did not have enough of an implementation strategy. With the setup, there are instructions set up. Going through a setup is fine, however, knowing what to do with that setup and how it fits into a grander picture has been a journey. The amount of staff needed for deployment and maintenance depends on the organization that's trying to deploy it. We have a fairly rigorous DevOps process, so there's somebody that is needed to manage the actual deployment of it. You'd need at least one, maybe a redundant person. Then, you need one person and a redundant person to manage the DevOps integration and to be able to build a pipeline so that you can deploy it. You also need at least one person that knows how to work in the platform to build APIs. I would say you'd probably need five or six people that really understand this to be able to deploy it.

We used two resellers, two integration partners. The first one got something going and we learned from them, however, nothing ever came out of it and it got shelved for a little bit. When we went with a second integration partner they actually helped us build an API documentation server. It's got a different name.  It's a developer portal. They helped us build a developer portal, which is still not rolled out as it did not meet our standards. We've had to do things a little bit manually. One thing that I would say is that inside of deploying an API gateway, from not knowing anything about it, there was a big learning curve that we had to go through. Now that I know what I know, it is a competitive product. Any of the products I would have started with I would've struggled with. There's just something about that strategy that you're talking about that is a big learning curve.

We have not been able to leverage ROI that much as we have not deployed it all the way. However, the ROI is in our opportunities. When we talk to our customers and explain what we're doing with our Apigee, their confidence in our ability to scale and secure is higher. When we don't, when we go to customers and we don't talk about Apigee or our gateway strategy, then there are many more questions that come up. It greases the wheels so to speak, on that sales process, security audits, et cetera.

It was fairly expensive. I don't know what the standard pricing is. I want to say that it's something like $80,000 for 800 million requests (approximately) a year. It's basically a full-time person cost. It's not higher than the competition. Everyone is expensive.  With Apigee, it's all-you-can-eat up to a point. For example, you can think of it as a dining hall where you can go in and eat anytime you want for up to 500 meals. After that, you need to buy up to get another 200 meals.

We also looked at MuleSoft. I evaluated multiple solutions to determine that we would go with the choice that we chose, however, did not have experience with competitive products beforehand. Our platform was not using one.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a customer. It's a hosted solution. It's my understanding that it gets updated by Google when it needs to be. I'd advise potential users to do as many POCs as they can on the free version, and get their feet wet with it. There's a lot they can do with the free version. You can learn a lot by just getting out there and starting. I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

Google
    Associate Vice President at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Good analytics, rich developer portal, and definitely stable
    • "The analytics function and the developer portal are the two valuable features of Apigee. The analytics part is very good, and the developer portal is quite rich in features."
    • "iPaaS is something that we would like to see. For example, MuleSoft is kind of an integrated platform as a service (iPaaS), and it provides a lot of out-of-the-box connectors and other such things. This is where Apigee lacks. I'm not sure if that's the roadmap for Apigee, but any improvements on those lines would be helpful where things become easier to implement."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a part of a service provider company, and we basically provide all kinds of services for our customers. One of the areas for which we provide services is API management. We work a lot with Apigee, and we have experience and a good team working with Apigee.

In terms of use cases, we've created a good marketplace for one of the clients. They are a logistics company, and they have a lot of vendors and partners with whom they work. So, we have created a marketplace where the vendor's partners can integrate for their shipments and other things. They can integrate their applications into this marketplace.

We have also implemented developer portals where we do the onboarding of developers. They can create their code SDKs, etc.

Currently, we are at a customer site, and we are migrating the on-premise version H to Apigee X, which is the latest one.

What is most valuable?

The analytics function and the developer portal are the two valuable features of Apigee. The analytics part is very good, and the developer portal is quite rich in features.

What needs improvement?

iPaaS is something that we would like to see. For example, MuleSoft is kind of an integrated platform as a service (iPaaS), and it provides a lot of out-of-the-box connectors and other such things. This is where Apigee lacks. I'm not sure if that's the roadmap for Apigee, but any improvements on those lines would be helpful where things become easier to implement.

It has been four to five years.

It is definitely stable. Performance-wise, we have not seen any major bottlenecks. What we have realized is that the performance is not just because of the tool itself. If you take any API management tool, the performance also depends on the way the integrations are done. So, if implemented correctly, performance is not really an issue.

With the SaaS model, scalability is there.

It is suitable for large companies because it is a bit pricey. It is definitely not for small companies, but it might be suitable for medium companies.

We have not been in touch with them much because we mostly have done development, but they do provide good support. Their support during the initial design architecture phase is also very good. So, if you have bought the licenses, they do provide an architect to come in and define the whole architecture. That way, the support is good.

We work on multiple API management tools based on the requirement of a particular customer. We have worked on Apigee, Dotcom, MuleSoft, to name a few.

Managing an on-premise setup themselves can be a huge overhead for customers. Apigee, I believe, releases patches very frequently, and those upgrades and maintenance activities are quite an overhead. Having said that, it has good support. They provide a lot of scripts through which the installation and other things can be automated, but obviously, we have to tailor those to our needs. On-premise is definitely a little bit of overhead. We have to have a team to manage that, but now with Apigee X going on SaaS, most of the implementations are on SaaS. So, this overhead is minimized a lot, and you just have to do the configurations.

It is a bit on the expensive side. Its licensing cost is a bit high, and that's where we've seen people going back on their decisions.

What other advice do I have?

In the latest version of Apigee, they've broadened the support for socket communication, which was previously missing in Apigee Hybrid.

I wouldn't recommend Apigee for simple situations because sometimes, it does become an overhead. It is overkill for simple situations. If you have very complex scenarios where you are trying to embark on a cloud journey and you still have systems on-premise or some systems are hosted on some other cloud and you want to do an integration, Apigee is really good. It provides support for the mesh architecture, and with that, it becomes quite easy.

The advice that we normally give is that when you are starting on an Apigee journey, you should not think of it just as an API management tool. We try to give it as an enterprise API platform that a large customer with different lines and businesses, such as a bank, would eventually leverage as a whole. You should not treat it in a way where only a particular group is using Apigee. It is an enterprise platform. So, you should treat it as a platform.

I would rate Apigee an eight out of 10.

Apigee
    June 2022
    610,045 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Senior Manager at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
    Easy to use out-of-the-box with minimal configurations
    • "Apigee provides out-of-the-box policies, so it is ready to use with minimal configuration to those policies. You can govern your API and manage the life cycle of the API completely with the Apigee tool."
    • "Apigee is more of an entry level solution that does basic things pretty well, but if you want to go more customizable, you want to really look for another solution."

What is our primary use case?

I am API architect. We are service providers and provide API solutions to our customers.

What is most valuable?

Apigee provides out-of-the-box policies, so it is ready to use with minimal configuration to those policies. You can govern your API and manage the life cycle of the API completely with the Apigee tool.

You can use the documentation through the API portal and integrate it with the open API specification, and then design and create your API process.

When we compare Apigee with Mulesoft, we find that Mulesoft provides many out-of-box connectors to your legacy applications and it is now part of Salesforce. It was acquired by Salesforce. It has hundreds of soft connectors available and an exchange place where you can put your reusable assets. A similar kind of thing is available in Apigee as well, where developers start putting their assets which can be reused.

What needs improvement?

Right now we can create custom policies using Java scripts and other supported languages. That's the good thing. But if you are supposed to have created some APIs that are available on the market as public, it would be good if you can share it. It would give a bit more flexibility and then connect configurations that you can do on your own which are not supported by APIs.

From a connector perspective, it would be good if it could allow you to create a custom connector, or it could provide out-of-box connectors, or some in the backend. That would be great.

I have been working with Apigee almost five years.

Apigee is an excellent product.

The scalability depends on your configuration. You can make it scalable.

Other vendors are basically giving more. For example, Azure. Azure is cloud-based, so they offer many things, including client support and hosting. So if you take Azure for all your storage and hosting, then they are inclined to use their API data solution. Similarly, MuleSoft provides you many things. It is an ESB kind of service broker, so you can connect to many varieties of backends. It supports that, so they can use Mulesoft API. Apigee provides a number of out-of-the-box policies and it handles the API governance. But if are looking for an end-to-end solution, Apigee is a bit behind. But if it is combined together with Google Cloud, and if the Google cloud offerings are comparable to Azure, then probably Apigee will lead.

Technical support is very good. In my previous company we had on-premise Apigee installed. For that we reached out to customer support. It was excellent. And while deploying it to our customer side, we reach out to them, for both Mulesoft and Apigee. And it has a very good community portal. Customers have shared their experiences troubleshooting - their challenges, issues, and resolutions. It was good.

We have used Mule API, Mule API Gateway, and API Manager.

The initial setup is pretty simple.

It provides some sort of integral service communication support. We have a multiple API proxy with multiple APIs currently deployed. So if API A is calling API B, and API B is calling API C, if that left to right communication is also available in API B, for that we have to use some kind of service tool. That is also available inside Apigee.

What other advice do I have?

My general advice is, suppose you have minimal organizational and transformation requirements, and you have an all HCTP backend with no processing required, then definitely you should go for Apigee, because Apigee provides all those things out of the box. It can protect your backend from any penetration threat and you can integrate it with your identity provider for security. All those things are provided by Apigee. Suppose you have very, very little request response, it does not require much transformation. In that case, you can use Apigee. But if it requires a huge transformation and lots of calculations and business logic is involved, in that case, you have to go for where you can write your custom logic, so for that you should go for a Mulesoft kind of solution.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Apigee an eight.

Director System Architecture at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Highly available, easy to configure and use, and it includes disaster recovery
    • "Anyone with basic knowledge can build an API."
    • "Apigee is demanding on the infrastructure so the setup cost is very high for an on-premises deployment."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients. We also it it ourselves.

Our use case involves accessing functions on our backend systems through a portal used on mobile devices. The app on the mobile device uses the internet portal, and we have the API as a security layer to pass the functions through to the backend.

What is most valuable?

It is very easy to implement and the configuration of the API is very simple.

It is easy to upload a Swagger file and build an API.

The user interface for building APIs is very simple. Anyone with basic knowledge can build an API.

Disaster recovery capabilities are included.

What needs improvement?

We have been working with Google Apigee for almost one year.

Apigee has high availability and we have not faced any problems in regards to stability.

We have not had to scale as of yet. Our license allows for 125 million messages and we have not yet reached that stage.

We have been in contact with technical support and we are fully satisfied. I would say that they go out of their way to support us. For a priority-one issue, Google commits to having it resolved within 24 hours.

There are also community blogs where you can find other people that are working with it. These are independent sources and people where we can get information about implementation as well as customization.

A new version is released every six months and if we don't upgrade in one and a half years, the old version will be deprecated or be out of support. For example, they recently upgraded the Edge UI. The old one was not integrating with Active Directory to allow for centralized control of users. However, the new one requires authentication from ADFS before implementing it, which was a feature that was previously lacking.

The entire set of documentation is available online. You can follow it step-by-step to install the application.

We have an in-house team that handles deployment and maintenance.

It is administered by two people and we have another person to handle the analytics.

The cost of the licensing is based on the number of API calls that are made. This is good because we don't pay for the number of nodes that we are installing. They also do not charge you for non-production transactions, which is extremely good.

Everything else is included as a package. For example, ZooKeeper, Cassandra, and PostgreSQL are part of the product, so we don't need to purchase any additional licenses apart from the OS.

We had evaluated Software AG at the same time as Apigee. The initial setup cost for an on-premises deployment of Software AG is less than that of Apigee. For example, if I require four cores to operate Apigee then it would be a two-core system for Software AG.

We chose Apigee because of its high availability and disaster recovery. Google Apigee uses ZooKeeper with an unstructured Cassandra database. This is different from Software AG, which uses a structured database like Oracle. Having to purchase Oracle licenses increases the cost.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering Apigee is that it is has a very easy and intuitive GUI to build APIs, and I can also import Swagger files. It is built on a high availability model, so if anything goes down then another node will automatically take over. We can build an active-active across the DR site.

The primary site is active, the DR site is active, and they are synchronized. It is easy to build, customize, install, and implement.

The support is also extremely good. We get immediate responses and support is available every day of the week. Google commits on the resolution time for priority-one issues as 24 hours. No other software today can commit to resolution time. I have only seen such a service with Google Apigee.

Overall, I am satisfied with this product and it is aligned to all of my needs.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Flexible API management and analytics that can be built out to fit varied needs
    • "The opportunity for customization is really vast and it is a really good feature built into the product."
    • "It has all the features necessary to work in anything from a basic scenario to advanced applications."
    • "The setup and installation process could be improved with a container-based system."

What is our primary use case?

It is a Google cloud solution for API management and analytics.

What is most valuable?

I have not had the opportunity to completely explore the product's capabilities in the time that we have been using it. But I can say that the customization is really vast and it is a really good feature built into the product. I can customize different authentication methods and methods for authorization. I can also use redaction. So security is flexible to our needs and it works well.

What needs improvement?

It is a user-friendly solution, but it would help if Google could provide a container-based solution instead of just a standalone one. With a container-based deployment and support for Terraform, it would be better for our deployments and that would be great. Right now we have to configure different areas manually. Some areas can be automated, but the deployments are not as fully automated as they could be otherwise.

so, they currently have a software as a service offering or a standalone offering. I want to see something like a hybrid cloud deployment. I also want to see a private cloud deployment.

We are still building out the environment. We are running four environments until we accept that it is fully tested. So we are not live yet and we will really go live and into production sometime in the first quarter of next year. But we have been using Apigee within the last 12 months for testing purposes.

The scalability of the product is good. Our use case is right now is applied in only one environment. When we are about to go to production, we will probably do high-availability testing with a dual environment so we can come up with any potential scalability issues. But for now, we have not really touched that area in our testing.

We do have a lot of people using Apigee already. This is the primary gateway for us to talk to external applications. I would say that services around 800- 900 applications which are using the gateways. That is also involving many teams and end-users who access those applications.

My recommendation for installations is that the product installation, set up and delivery process could be improved. It is straightforward in the initial steps. The part which is automated by Google is very straightforward. The remaining part, we have to do manually. The remaining components have to be manually configured. If Google were to do a container offering of this solution, then adopting it would be seamless because everything would be able to be automated.

I would say that it currently takes too long to set up and deploy and that it is not as short a time to complete the process as it should be. It is more mediocre, somewhere in the middle, and has moderate difficulty instead of being seamless and simple.

We did not have to use an integrator, reseller, or a consultant for deployment. It was all done in house by our own teams.

We tried Axway API gateway and we also tried MuleSoft. We found that these solutions did not fit our scenario as well as Apigee because our scenario is a very special scenario where we want to keep everything that we already have on board. In our current situation, we have big AWS (Amazon Web Services) accounts and a big AWS footprint. So we want to also be able to use AWS for Apigee hosting. That is where our environment and needs become a little bit of a custom scenario. Apigee works for us in this scenario and that is why we ultimately went with Apigee over other products.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this product over any other products available in the market in this category. It has all the features necessary to work in anything from a basic scenario to advanced applications. So I find that everything in it is flexible and available in this one product. Because of that I highly recommend it to anyone.

On a scale of one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate Apigee around an eight out-of-ten.

Hybrid Cloud
    Líder de Proyecto at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Contains valuable security and sandboxing capabilities
    • "I think the most valuable features are the security features. Of course, the user access control is the same as the security. The other very important issue is the sandboxing capability of Apigee."
    • "The caching capabilities are somewhat limited. This is more on the developer-oriented capabilities."

What is our primary use case?

I work for a medium to big size IT consultancy firm in Mexico, and I am in the innovation and interoperability division. Our main work here is to develop projects on interoperability platforms and KPI management, et cetera, and transition from a legacy system to micro-services. In the last year, I have worked on a project on migrating a very big telecom firm from several API gateways and API exposures to Apigee. They're centralizing all their API gateways into Apigee.

We are hoping to lay out the plan for migrating the first sprint of about 200 APIs starting in January. Originally, the plan was to start in December, but the project is so big that it was suffering from delays.

We are going to start doing the actual proxies and migration in January next year. The project consists of about 10-month long sprints. We are going to use all of next year on this first phase. During the course of the next year, we are going to lay out the plan for the next phases. At this point, the total number of APIs to be migrated to Apigee is not clear, but we're thinking that it's about 300, 400 APIs that are going to be migrated.

The solution is deployed on-premise. They're thinking that in the second phase, they're going to go hybrid to have some of the features in the public cloud and some in the proprietary.

We are integrators.

What needs improvement?

At this point, we aren't sure of what else could be improved since we are migrating some pieces of code that are really legacy and really difficult to model as a standard REST API. We are not sure in which areas Apigee is going to fall short. I think that next year we will have a more clear picture of some issues that we are going to find that could be addressed by a new feature, or by enhancing some existing feature in the next versions of the tool.

I have been using Apigee for one year.

Right now, in the development area of Apigee, we have about 20 developers, architects, et cetera. We are in the process of training because our expected growth drives us to have about 100 developers by the end of next year. I think that by the end of Q1, next year, we're going to double our capacity. By mid-year, we have to have 20 more, and so on, until the end of the year. We are planning to have about 100 trained developers, or configuration experts, in Apigee.

All the infrastructure, the enablement, is being done by another company. They are in charge of all the dimensions and actually creating all the infrastructure to host the platform. I have never installed Apigee as a proprietary cloud. I have been working either on the pure cloud environment or hybrid environment. I didn't phase the deployment of the tool, just the configuration.

In Latin America, Apigee is expensive. It's not for small businesses; it's more for big businesses. That's why I was trying to compare, for example, WSO2 against other API management tools. We are trying to create an inside practice in our company to also recommend WSO2 for a mid-size or small-size company where maybe the Apigee pricing for them is too heavy.

Apigee prices are targeting medium to large companies in Mexico. In Latin America, it's basically the same.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 9 out of 10.

I think the correct roadmap should be first an approach to Google to create a partnership. Then create a team of developers and an architect, and then start adding more resources as the demand grows.

Senior Software Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
    Overall quite good with great stability and scalability
    • "The stability of the solution is good. There aren't issues surrounding bugs or glitches. We don't find that it crashes or freezes. It's pretty reliable."
    • "The solution tends to hide the limitations to keep selling the product."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for all of our security. There are a few use cases for us where we use it to protect API to third parties.

What is most valuable?

The solution, overall, is quite good.

What needs improvement?

The product has a few restrictions I'd prefer weren't there.

We have trouble finding use cases. For example, when we google "data locator" we can't find a use case scenario at all. We can't find more than, approximately, five use cases, however, we need more.

We needed to do more than 20 configurations, and we weren't able to do that as the limit is 20 on the solution.

The solution tends to hide the limitations to keep selling the product. I can't blame them for doing it, however, it makes it difficult for those of us who eventually sign on.

The solution is expensive.

I've been dealing with the solution for close to three years at this point.

The scalability of the solution is okay. If a company needs to scale it, it should be able to do so.

Currently, we only have about ten people on our team that use it.

We haven't found the technical support to be that good, to be honest. We're not completely satisfied with the level of service.

We're currently using IBM Connect as well as Azure. Functionality-wise, there aren't too many differences. One is on-premises, however, therefore it's really difficult to compare both together. With IBM, you have to maintain a few more things. There are more administrative tasks.

The initial setup wasn't straightforward. It was complex due to the fact that Apigee didn't have any integrations and we had IBM APA Connect Resources.

There were many things we weren't told earlier. Once you clear certain items you can't change the name, for example. There were a few other items, like monitoring, which had a limited number of configurations which was an issue.

Deployment was fairly quick. It only took five minutes or so.

The solution is not a cheap product. Licensing can be quite expensive.

Our contract is around $2 million for three years.

We don't have a clear picture how the billing works. We have one service package of one size and yet we don't have a clear picture of the purchase or the status or if they will charge more due to earlier limits on services. The solution needs to make licensing more clear. Even if they charged us $10,000 or even $20,000 more but they were clear about the what and the why, we'd be okay with that. We'd just like to know.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

We are removing our IBM products and transition completely over to Apigee.

We have Azure's API as well. In next one year or two year, we are going to dissolve IBM API Connect as well as Azure CIM and move everything to Apigee.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I'd rate Apigee at an eight. We'd rate it higher, however, they aren't clear on their offering. We just want everything automated and easy. The cost is not the issue. The lack of information is.

I'd recommend the solution. It's a nice product and companies should go ahead with it, so long as they are okay with the pricing, as it is rather expensive. If a company is cost-consious, IBM API Connect may be better as the licensing costs are lower.

MADHAV CHABLANI - PeerSpot reviewer
    Chief Information Officer at Tippingedge
    Simple to integrate, reputable, versatile, and has good technical support
    • "Apigee has proven to be one of the best of the breed."
    • "We are experiencing some performance issues."

What is our primary use case?

We have a legacy and non-legacy databases that are both on-premises and off-premises.

Apigee is used to connect to any Google-based applications that are available. In addition, we are experimenting and testing in other environments.

I'm a CIO in consulting.

What is most valuable?

Apigee has proven to be one of the best of the breed. Others are attempting to innovate and are succeeding. So we don't know how innovations will be distributed, Azure, Amazon. Amazon, without a doubt, is lagging, but I've recently heard in the reinventing that they're working on a lot of API-related innovations. So you can't say that they'll be lagging behind as they are catching up.

What needs improvement?

We are experiencing some performance issues. Except in terms of performance, we can't find anything that needs improvement. This is something that we are trying to understand, and we will fix it soon.

I'm dealing with the Google and Apigee teams directly, so I can't go into specifics. But I believe we will be able to fix it sooner rather than later. It will be one of the most extensive implementations. And while we did not find any performance issues during testing and development, we did find some in production. We will be in a position to fix it soon.

Our environment consists of multiple clouds. The usual question is whether you have a single environment or a multi-cloud environment. What I've answered is applicable to all multi-cloud scenarios. I haven't specifically mentioned the Apigee-related issues. In CA Cloud, that is Google, I am working in a multi-cloud environment with settings and cross-components.

More platform integration, lower prices, and improved performance are all potential improvements; however, when it comes to standardization, all of them are converging on standardization, but, my criteria are more performance-based.

Either one is focusing on the API or on alternative exchanges that can improve performance. As a result, making a choice of API and the use cases that surround it, as well as how the implementation is done for scale, can be difficult at times. When we talk about the scale, there are definitely a lot of considerations that must be understood, and one of them is performance, which is our primary focus area.

If you are going to use APIs or even exchanges, you should be more concerned with performance.

I have been dealing with Apigee for quite a long time before it was part of Google. It's been approximately three years.

The stability of Apigee is one of the best of the breed.

The scalability of Apigee is good.

Apigee will be implemented in over 100 hospitals.

We have been working closely with technical support, and everything is fine.

We are also collaborating with Amazon teams and some of the standardization committees to help standardize APIs.

The integration of Apigee was straightforward.

It is not an installation, it's an integration. Apigee is integrated rather than installed.

The number of people needed to maintain this solution is determined by the project's, and the complexity of the situation.

Apigee is subject to licensing fees.

Typically, the customer is internal, so it is accounted for in the integrated budgets.

What other advice do I have?

I have other affiliations. Like, I am associated with Cloud Security Alliance, which is a nonprofit organization. And I am also part of ISO SC 38. SC38 has a PWI, a preliminary work initiative on API management. And that goes as the advisory at a global level for a standardization. This topic is not only of my interest, but it is my passion.

I would recommend this solution based on the use case they have.

I would rate Apigee a nine out of ten.

Download our free Apigee Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: June 2022