Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

AlienVault OSSIM OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

AlienVault OSSIM is #30 ranked solution in top Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) tools. PeerSpot users give AlienVault OSSIM an average rating of 7.0 out of 10. AlienVault OSSIM is most commonly compared to AT&T AlienVault USM: AlienVault OSSIM vs AT&T AlienVault USM. AlienVault OSSIM is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 48% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 22% of all views.

Download the Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is AlienVault OSSIM?

AlienVault OSSIM, Open Source Security Information and Event Management (SIEM), provides you with a feature-rich open source SIEM complete with event collection, normalization and correlation. Launched by security engineers because of the lack of available open source products, AlienVault OSSIM was created specifically to address the reality many security professionals face: A SIEM, whether it is open source or commercial, is virtually useless without the basic security controls necessary for security visibility.

AlienVault OSSIM was previously known as OSSIM.

AlienVault OSSIM Customers

Council Rock School District

AlienVault OSSIM Video

AlienVault OSSIM Pricing Advice

What users are saying about AlienVault OSSIM pricing:
  • "The price of AlienVault OSSIM is too high sometimes for us to present to our customers. The price should be lower. We are on a three-year license to use the solution. We had to pay extra for the support."
  • "We are using the community version, which can be used for free."
  • "We are using a free version of the solution. If you purchase a license there are more features available but the price is a little high. The solution should be cheaper to allow more customers to be able to afford it."
  • AlienVault OSSIM Reviews

Hakeem  Olufadi - PeerSpot reviewer
    infrastructure and security Analyst at holmen consulting
    Easy to set up with good training and helpful technical support
    • "The initial setup is straightforward."
    • "The incidence reporting could be better."

What is most valuable?

The self-paced training is pretty good.

The initial setup is straightforward.

We've found the solution to be very stable.

You can scale the solution.

Technical support is excellent. They are very helpful and responsive.

What needs improvement?

ArcSight works better than AlienVault right now.

The incidence reporting could be better. We'd like to be able to better privatize certain logs that handle certain detections. It's really important to us.

The integration capabilities could be improved.

I've been using the solution for over three years at this point.

The solution has been quite stable for us. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

Security Information and Event Management (SIEM)
    September 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about AT&T, Elastic, Splunk and others in Security Information and Event Management (SIEM). Updated: September 2022.
    632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The product can scale. The only problem we have with it is the integration. For example, we were trying to integrate a solution in the server for retaining logs on AlienVault. We tried everything possible, however, it just wouldn't integrate. In contrast, when we move to ArcSight, we could do it one time and it was working just fine. There were no integration issues.

When we have had to reach out to them, they were brilliant. They were prompt and very precise.

We've used ArcSight as well. We used it on a particular project recently. It's easier to integrate items in it as compared to AlienVault. Aside from that, they are very similar products.

The implementation process is pretty simple and straightforward. It's not difficult or complex at all. A company shouldn't have issues handling it.

The only issue that comes into play is when you want to integrate it with other vendors.

Overall, I'd rate the deployment process at a four out of five.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a consultant.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. For the most part, I am satisfied with its capabilities.

ICT Consultant at N3tcom
    Responsive support, helpful vulnerability assessment, and useful network awareness
    • "The most valuable features of AlienVault OSSIM are vulnerability assessment, network intrusion detection system, response to critical events, and awareness of the whole network."
    • "AlienVault OSSIM on-premise version is more difficult to implement than the cloud version. Additionally, they should add integration between several different environments at once and improve their online knowledge base."

What is our primary use case?

I use AlienVault OSSIM for the protection of our customers and to find critical events.

There are two different versions of AlienVault OSSIM, one is on-premise and the other is cloud.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

AlienVault OSSIM on-premise version is more difficult to implement than the cloud version. Additionally, they should add integration between several different environments at once and improve their online knowledge base.

I have been using AlienVault OSSIM for three years.

The older versions of AlienVault OSSIM were not stable, but the latest version was better.

I rate the stability of AlienVault OSSIM a four out of five.

I rate the scalability of AlienVault OSSIM a four out of five.

We have three people who use this solution in my company.

The support from AlienVault OSSIM is good, they are responsive.

I rate the support from AlienVault OSSIM a five out of five.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial setup of AlienVault OSSIM was easy. However, I have many years of experience in the field of network administration. The process took one day to complete.

We did the implementation of AlienVault OSSIM, we are all certified. We have five engineers that did the implementation of the solution.

The price of AlienVault OSSIM is too high sometimes for us to present to our customers. The price should be lower. We are on a three-year license to use the solution. We had to pay extra for the support.

What other advice do I have?

We have two people that do the maintenance for the solution.

I rate AlienVault OSSIM an eight out of ten.

Security Information and Event Management (SIEM)
    September 2022
    632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Midhun Kumar - PeerSpot reviewer
    Head of Infrastructure at Pearl Data Direct
    Community forums provide good support, but it is not user-friendly and the correlation engine needs improvement
    • "The most valuable feature is the logging capability."
    • "The correlation engine needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for collecting logs. We are not correlating or assessing any user behavior analytics (UBA).

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the logging capability.

What needs improvement?

The correlation engine needs to be improved.

The interface is not user-friendly, which is an area for improvement.

I have been using this solution for one year.

It's a stable solution.

This is certainly a scalable product.

The Community version does not have any technical support.

We have been able to resolve some issues through the community forums.

Previously, we did not use another similar product.

We are using the community version, which can be used for free.

We have decided to implement a fully-featured SIEM solution that has all of the features, including UBA.

What other advice do I have?

Because we are using the community version, we were unable to explore features such as behavior analytics.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

Chief Operating Officer at a insurance company with 201-500 employees
    Reseller
    Stable, scalable, and useful reporting
    • "The paid version of the solution has reporting and better scalability options."
    • "When comparing AlienVault OSSIM to other solutions it looks a bit outdated. Additionally, they need to improve their integration."

What is our primary use case?

I have deployed AlienVault OSSIM in a couple of small environments for monitoring.

What is most valuable?

The paid version of the solution has reporting and better scalability options.

What needs improvement?

When comparing AlienVault OSSIM to other solutions it looks a bit outdated. Additionally, they need to improve their integration.

I have been using AlienVault OSSIM for approximately seven years.

The solution is stable.

The free version is lacking some of the scalability options.

I have used QRadar and ArcSight.

The configuration of the solution is difficult. There are videos we can watch but we do not have time to watch videos. We want there to be better documentation that we can use.

I have evaluated ELK Stack and Security Onion.

What other advice do I have?

I rate AlienVault OSSIM an eight out of ten.

Download our free Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about AT&T, Elastic, Splunk, and more!
    Updated: September 2022