IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

ZAPTEST OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Download the Test Automation Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is ZAPTEST?
ZAPTEST is software test automation solution for testing applications cross-platform. ZAPTEST allows testing any GUI based software on any modern OS mobile or conventional that includes iOS; Android; WinMo; Blackberry; Windows; Mac; and Linux. ZAP 1Script technology allows users to script test procedure once and execute it on any correspondent application on any platform and environment. ZAP MultiRun technology offers execution of the same test script on multiple workstations and mobile devices at once, and expedites time to test execution. zapFARM offers mobile and conventional device management, by using distributed and multi-site devices and management of devices and users. ZAPTEST is software test automation solution for testing applications cross-platform. ZAPTEST allows testing of any GUI based software on any modern OS, mobile or conventional including iOS; Android; WinMo; Blackberry; Windows; Mac; and Linux, as well as supports testing of Agile and CI development. ZAP main technologies are ZAPTEST; ZAP-fiX; MultiRun; and zapFARM With over 15 years of industry experience implementing test automation processes ZAP also offers professional help to allows enterprises with testing best practices implementing ZAPTEST. Using ZAPTEST test automation teams reducing time to test development and maintenance, expedite test execution cross-platform and manage devices under test remotely within organization
ZAPTEST Customers
AT&T, Ally Financial, Inc. Standard & Poors, Comcast, Boeing Employee Credit Union, Nordstroms, Bank of New Zealand, Aviva France, Delta Airlines, First National Bank of South Africa, Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, American Well, SuperValu, 24 Hour Fitness, Inc., Lexis Nexis, Cspire Wireless, GE Intelligent Systems, Accenture, Shelter Mutual Insurance, Agco
ZAPTEST Video

Archived ZAPTEST Reviews (more than two years old)

System engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
We can write our codes just after the functional docs are prepared, and we can straight away start testing the application in the system testing phase itself.

What is most valuable?

• Using this tool, we can automate test cases even before the deployment of an application. This can be done by scanning objects from UI mock-ups or screenshots.
  • One script multi-run technology reduces scripting effort and budget by which you can run one unique script to test multiple platforms.
  • We can write one code and run it in multiple browsers (Chrome, IE, Firefox anything) and operating systems (Android, Windows, anything).
  • PDF validation, average colour validation, etc. are better and stable.
  • We can literally automate anything (not necessarily web applications) using ZAPTEST as it works exactly as a human eye and doesn't dig into application codes.
  • Partial OCR and block recognization are game changers.
  • JIRA and ALM integration

How has it helped my organization?

Using another script automation tool, our scripter could only start his coding after the deployment of an application. This eliminates scope of system testing by automation. Using ZAPTEST, we can write our codes just after the functional docs are prepared, and we can straight away start testing the application in the system testing phase itself. This eliminates manual effort in testing life-cycle completely and also eliminates a separate automation script development phase and saves a lot of time and money.

What needs improvement?

• We cannot have more than one Object Repository for one test.
  • Regular expression is not supported.
  • Most of the data table operations are not supported.

We've used it for two months.

Test Automation Tools
July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about ZAPTEST, SmartBear, Micro Focus and others in Test Automation Tools. Updated: July 2022.
620,068 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It deploys without issues.

It's stable enough nowadays.

We have no scalability issues.

We received technical support directly from highest management, which includes Alex Chernyak and Anton Nosovitsky. 9/10

Our organization used HP Quick Test Professional as a test automation tool, and we jumped over to this tool as a POC initiative. ZAPTEST has its advantage over QTP/UFT in the following ways: As we can write codes before deployment, it saves a lot of time and billing hours.

The initial set-up is not so straightforward, as it does not have similar ease of QTP/UFT utility functions. To make a framework, you need to keep in mind that ZAPTEST does not support descriptive programming or regular expressions in its current version.

We work as a vendor team. Implementation requires a skilled person who has test automation experience for the initial set-up.

The ROI ought be high as it saves a lot of time and billing by eliminating a complete phase in the testing life cycle.

What other advice do I have?

Use this product if you have good, skilled workers to prepare the framework. Post implementation, show the guts to say good-bye to manual testers.

it_user877314 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user877314User at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees

Hi Arupratan,

In your valuable features you have mentioned

•We can literally automate anything (not necessarily web applications) using ZAPTEST as it works exactly as a human eye and doesn't dig into application codes.

Does this means we can automate Webservices/APIs too?. If so can you please explain me how we can use.

Also the Improvements to My Org also looks the same for my area of work too, I also start the test scripts only after deployment of the application. If I can start it along with the coding I could save a lot of time.

This is the scenario we have currently in the process of evaluating testing tools for our Organization. We have some SOAP and RESTful APIs. Wanted to know if Ready API be good or ZAPTEST be good.

Thanks in Advance,
Veni KS.

it_user525252 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Automation Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
The OCR feature allows objects to be identified based on their characteristics. I miss proper help documentation.

What is most valuable?

The OCR feature, which allows objects to be identified based on their characteristics, has given ZAPTEST the edge over open-source or other tools, to identify almost any object.

Also with the ability to modify the text color in the multi-line OCR and other areas, it gives you a lot of options to identify the objects precisely.

How has it helped my organization?

I was able to automate an application, where object identifications have impeded any progress in automating the regression bed. With ZAPTEST, we are able to identify those objects and clear the path for regression automation.

What needs improvement?

A few objects on the .NET platform are not getting identified precisely among similar objects. Object identification can be improved.

I have a .NET application which has many grids. In one of the grids, there is ABCD High and next to that is ABCD. Even after I passed ABCD High as a text property, it is selecting ABCD. I have a table which is colored, where it doesn't even identify all the rows in the table.

The other thing I really miss is proper help documentation.

Whenever u click on Help it redirects it to videos, which are not extensive. Any documentation which will contain all the methods or step by step implementation of the unique feature in ZAPTEST, would really help.

I haven't used it but will be exploring it in the future

A few times ZAPTEST crashed while failing to identify the objects. That is 2% of the usage.

Customer service has been ZAPTEST's forte; very prompt and helpful.

Technical support has been very supportive and spend hours with me to resolve the complex object identification hurdle for my application.

I was using UFT and switched to ZAPTEST because of object identification issues.

It is very easy to set up.

Pricing and licensing is competitive.

Test Automation Tools
July 2022
620,068 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user384165 - PeerSpot reviewer
Quality Assurance and Release at a government with 51-200 employees
The most valuable feature for us is the ability to write and execute regression test scripts for a variety of GUI-based systems, particularly Oracle ERP applications.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us is the ability to write and execute regression test scripts for a variety of GUI-based systems, particularly Oracle ERP applications which have many environmental idiosyncrasies and quirks, the most troublesome of which are obsolete versions of Java.

Another valuable feature is ZAPTEST's ability to build in test logic employing VBScript or JavaScript to evaluate test conditions and execute different actions accordingly.

ZAPTEST also has the ability to perform subroutines and function calls in VBScript.

It has the ability to pass parameters from one test script to another, be it a hierarchical parent (calling), test script child (called), test script relationship, or a peer-to-peer test script relationship.

Finally, it has the ability to set global parameters. This is crucial for being able to move from one test to environment to another.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to reduce turnaround time for the Oracle Point-of-Sale (POS) application releases. These run on touchscreen cash registers in a Linux environment as well as web-based managerial functions in Oracle Central Office and Oracle Back Office.

We have written and we execute ZAPTEST regression packages that call and execute literally hundreds of individual regression tests which emulate actions of a cashier at the Oracle POS touchscreen cash register, a store manager in Oracle Back Office, or a manager in Oracle Central Office.

The manpower required to manually execute the regression tests we perform with ZAPTEST in one overnight run would be impossible. We have neither the manpower nor the hardware to support such a labor intensive endeavor.

What needs improvement?

The save function should be fixed so that I no longer have to add a space to a step and then follow it with a backspace to reenable the save icon.

We need to be able to copy object repository objects from one test script to another. Currently the object repository in ZAPTEST 15.0.75 is local. This makes it impossible to reuse objects (screens) that have been previously scanned and defined in other test scripts.

It would be nice if ZAPTEST would support a global object repository. This would allow a ZAPTEST script programmer to reuse screens from a central object repository library when writing a new test script. This would save lots of development time.

I've used it for 21 months now.

One needs to follow recommendations of the ZAPTEST vendor.

Early versions of ZAP-fiX and ZAPTEST had stability problems, but things have improved greatly, especially with ZAPTEST 15.0.75.

We haven't had scalability issues since we employed a ZAPTEST license server and purchased an adequate number of licenses.

Customer service is excellent.

Technical support is excellent. ZAPTEST product development has been very responsive to our feedback and has incorporated many improvements to the product we have asked for. They are a nimble firm that is very focused on customer response and improvement of their product.

We tried using HP Unified Functional Testing (UFT). It had great history (Mercury) and potential, but in its present form proved not to be a nimble product. It was a nightmare to set up and configure. We had many problems getting it to work with the Oracle ERP product suite. It could not handle the obsolete Java versions. HP UFT customer support was extremely difficult to engage, loathe to own any problem with their tool, and were in general less than responsive. It just seemed like HP put their HP UFT customer support team on a starvation diet.

Considering the power of this tool, it is quite straightforward to set it up, even with the ZAPTEST License Server option for multiple concurrent licenses.

We initially implemented this in-house. Once we got our feet wet with ZAPTEST, we engaged the vendor for help with more complex regression testing challenges.

I am told the price of the product is very reasonable, but I have no financial or contractual insight as to what was purchased or agreed upon. There is the ability to evaluate ZAPTEST for free.

We evaluated HP UFT and a couple of other tools. I was not privy to evaluation of other products other than HP UFT and ZAPTEST.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure the resources you identify for writing and maintaining ZAPTEST scripts either have or receive VBScript or JavaScript training. You don’t have to have journeyman skills in these languages, but it helps to be able to use them for performing basic programming functions.

it_user333096 - PeerSpot reviewer
Quality Services Contractor at a insurance company with 51-200 employees
It allows us the capability to connect, view and simulate tests for multiple devices at the same time.

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

It gives us the capability to use test scripts for our regression testing of mobile applications that we conduct as part every release cycle.

What needs improvement?

I would say the test results features could be made more advanced with options like pie charts, graphs, etc. To be able to visualize the data would be helpful to us.

I've used it for two months.

We've had no issues with deployment.

We've had no issues with stability.

We've had no issues with scalability.

I'd give customer service a 10 out of 10. They're very extremely efficient.

I'd give technical support a 10 out of 10. They're very extremely efficient.

No, we didn't use a previous solution.

The initial setup was straightforward.

Our in-house team implemented it, which is primarily comprised of me and Naveen Karakavalasa, our QA Automation lead.

Our ROI is 100%.

Yes, we evaluated Keynote DeviceAnywhere.

What other advice do I have?

ZAPTEST has very responsive, cooperative, and efficient technical support and customer service teams. They do a pretty good job in enhancing the product to meet your needs.

it_user378105 - PeerSpot reviewer
Enterprise Architecture at a local government with 1,001-5,000 employees
It Doesn't Require Us To Purchase Any Additional Software or Servers Like Other Solutions.

What is most valuable?

Let me walk you through our testing strategy. We have over 2000 test cases, and if I need to change a couple of things and test a cycle, it takes 10 people and maybe three to four weeks to test it. If any change needs to be made, it takes three to four weeks to see the results. That’s too much in terms of resources. Now, the automation that that we have seen from ZAPTEST has allowed us to classify cases as High, Medium and Low. We have around 10% we classify as critical so we still do critical testing manually.

How has it helped my organization?

On average, I get two cycles per week and that only requires the attention of two people. It saves us a lot of time and gets us to production quicker. In the initial stages we had three, maybe four, people who were involved with the product for around three months. At this time we had WebEx sessions with ZAPTEST consultants. This involved five days scripting training. Initially it was very slow; we were churning out slow scripting. But once we got hands-on experience, we moved very quickly. Now we are bearing the fruits of our hard labour.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvements, right now we are using automation testing and we had an issue where we wanted to also use load testing which was not initially a part of the ZAPTEST suite. This led us to continue using HP products to be able to run load tests. After consultations with ZAPTEST, they addressed our needs and developed a plugin for load testing and now this works great. We have no issues and, best of all, they didn’t charge us for it. So our company benefited from this change.

The pricing model allows us to purchase support hours, and I have purchased 500 hours. If we have any problems, this allows us to have someone come and see us on-site three times a year, allowing also for training. Technical support is available all of the time through WebEx. We send the logs to them and 98% of the time they fix the issue the same day. We are happy because they pay attention to their customers.

When I took over the automation testing area in 2013, we were using HP products. We had two problems, however. One, we were testing Oracle products using them, and two, we are in the retail business. I wanted to test the application on registers/POC, but the HP products were not working out well for us. That’s when I contacted ZAPTEST. I knew we needed automation testing solutions, so after we got the ZAPTEST, it was a big plus for us. We now use it every week.

The initial set-up was done through a telephone call. It was very easy. They also have videos which we used. It started with simple test cases, and once we knew what worked well, we discovered it wasn't hard at all.

We did it in-house, but there was some additional training was required later on to do the complex test cases. I also wanted to create a chain of 700 scripts and we divided them into 10 chains which they helped with. They put everything together, how to schedule, and then showed us how to analyse the results.

Price-wise, HP products cost us millions and with support, we paid an additional $600,000. At ZAPTEST you have a different testing model. You don’t pay a lot of money upfront and you don’t pay an increasing fee year-over-year for support. I believe they are a lot cheaper and we have seen great savings. It’s because of this that we are looking in to different modules that ZAPTEST offers, such as performance testing.

When I looked at other products, there were only two out there that will work on registers. The one we didn’t go with wanted us to purchase many add-ons and servers. This would have cost us at least another quarter of a million dollars. ZAPTEST worked out really well as we didn’t have to purchase any additional software. It is client-based and server-based. It worked out really well for us with the decision to use ZAPTEST.

What other advice do I have?

We are also partially a government agency and we have to follow certain security procedures. My straightforward advice is to get plenty of support and training hours included in the initial purchase for at least two years. That’s the biggest advice I can give. Any product I buy I use their evaluation license. I have three days to try it out; to make sure I like it, test simple scripts and make sure it is working. This will give you confidence and ability to compare to other products. Don’t cut corners when it comes to your training and support hours. I am trying to expand in 2016 in order to introduce a test case mapping module and once I find a good ALM, I will have a perfect match.

Lead Automation Engineer at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
We are able to create automation earlier in the development process and become more agile, but support of multiple data file types could be improved.

What is most valuable?

This product has allowed us to develop automated tests on application features not yet available in a dev or test environment. I was able to develop the objects and scripts from screenshots, mock-ups and developer local build. Once feature was available in the test environment there were minimal to no changes needed.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been able to start developing automated tests earlier in the process. The biggest thing this product has done for us is allow us to automate a feature that other commercial and open source tools couldn't do for us. It has also allowed us to us the same script across all browsers and versions we need to support.

What needs improvement?

We have used multiple data files types as inputs to our existing automation and this product is currently only supporting CSV.

I have only been using this actively for about 2 months.

Installation and setup of the product was very easy.

No issues have been encountered so far.

No issues have been encountered so far.

Customer support has been phenomenal from day one.

Technical support has been excellent and they have provided good options for resolving my issues with using the tool or designing the tests.

We also use a very common commercial and open source solutions. Neither of these were able to automated all the features within our application. We use a third party report visualization tool that our previous automation tools weren't able to interact with.

Initial setup is very straightforward.

I did the implementation with vendor support online.

We are now able to automate features we previously had to always do manually in all supported browsers and languages.

Not really my area of expertise but the Licensing seems to be very competitive.

We did evaluate other commercial and open source solutions. We chose this one for the ability to handle our needs and the ease of use and low learning curve for our team.

What other advice do I have?

Great solution for Agile testing and solving difficult to automate functionality.

ITG2 at a tech services company
We're able to test unique application running on several OS's that interface with many outside sources, but its documentation is outpaced by rapid development.

What is most valuable?

This product now does what its competition claims to do: automate any program. The object detection and OCR functions are the best we have found. We are able to create tests much more quickly, and the results are robust and stable.

How has it helped my organization?

We have many unique applications, running on several operating systems, and interfacing with many outside sources. We now test everything, on an ongoing basis, starting from much earlier in the process, and have streamlined development by weeks!

What needs improvement?

The documentation is not keeping up with the rapid development, and updates are very fast.

We are using this product for about 3 years now, although it is completely transformed from the version we started with.

In earlier versions, we had some issues with lock-ups and memory leaks, but these appear to be "cured".

None

This is where they truly shine! If we suggest a feature, a new version appears in days with that feature fully realized and working. If we have a need, all we need to do is ask!

Superior tech support, down to actual time with lead programmers.

We used UFT and switched because we had issues with object identification and stability.

Setup is very straightforward, most difficult part was setting up the license server, and that was fairly painless too!

In-house with vendor support both on-line and on-site.

This is not my area of expertise, but we no longer bring in testers several times a quarter.

Reasonable pricing for the quality of the product.

We evaluated over 20 various solutions from every major vendor, and a few open-source.

What other advice do I have?

Add this to your "must test" list. Company is very responsive and product is too.