We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
AhmedAZZAM
Senior IT Consultant at société de services et d'ingénierie en informatique
MSP
Easy to deploy with good snapshots and instant recovery capabilities
  • "The solution is very easy to deploy."
  • "The pricing could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is used primarily for backup and replication.

What is most valuable?

The solution is the best product to backup and replicate in a real-time virtual platform.

This is the only product in the world that can do the two actions.

You can use a snapshot from many types of storage and restores granular items and functionality from the exchange, email, or any active data storage object.

You can do instant recovery, which is quite helpful. If you have any problems, you can start your Veeam from the backup and use it to restore, and it will do it in the background.

The solution is very easy to deploy.

The solution scales quite well. The performance has been good.

We've found the solution to be very stable so far.

Overall, it's a very good product.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be improved. They should work to make it less expensive.

In one case, the solution did not support a backup from EIX Unix from IBM. This is the only handicap I've found in relation to the product.

I've been using the solution for about three years at this point. It's been a while.

The solution is quite stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's quite reliable. The performance is good.

We've deployed the solution for 10 to 20 customers.

The solution can scale. If a company needs to expand, it can do so.

I've had some previous experience with technical support, and I don't really have any complaints. They were knowledgeable and responsive and I would say I've been satisfied with their assistance overall.

The solution is very easy to deploy. It's one of the selling points of the product.

The pricing is increasingly becoming more and more expensive. In 2020, it was a good price. After the last version, 10, the price has been very, very high.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten overall. If it weren't for the pricing issues, I'd likely rate it higher. It's a really great solution in general.

Director of Information Technology and Communications at Enertotal sa esp
Stable, scalable, easy to setup, offer good support
  • "It's not complex to replicate and back up the system."
  • "I would like to see the replication and a recovery plan of the servers in the cloud. It's very important."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for virtualization with VMware. I have approximately 50 servers. We also use it for replication of the file server.

How has it helped my organization?

There haven't seen any changes to the way the organization has improved.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for three months.

We use one of the first versions of this product.

It's a stable product. I would rate it an eight out of ten.

It's a scalable solution.

In our company, we have one administrator and one other operator who use it. One person for each server.

Based on the orders we receive, we will continue to use this product.

Technical support is good. I would rate them an eight out of ten.

Previously, I was using IBM Spectrum.

Three months ago, I made the decision to change to Veeam Backup & Replication because IBM solutions are expensive.

IBM is very good software, but the problem is the cost. I would rate IBM a ten out of ten.

I was also using Acronis, but I wasn't sure of it. I did not have the experience with it.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's easy.

It's not complex to replicate and back up the system.

We used an integrator, reseller, and a public consultant, which was very expensive.

The experience was good but it was a bit of a process with a bit of a struggle.

This is an expensive product, so reducing the cost would be an improvement. The difference between IBM and Veeam Backup & Replication is insignificant.

It is approximately $4,000 to $5,000 for the purchase of the product and I paid an additional $2,000 for the renewal.

What other advice do I have?

For large enterprise companies, I would suggest IBM, but for small companies, I would recommend Veeam Backup & Replication.

Learn what your peers think about Veeam Backup & Replication. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
565,689 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Enrico Boseli
CTO at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Top-notch replication and reporting
  • "The replication feature has proven to be the most valuable feature for us."
  • "Sometimes Veeam is not that effective when it comes to legacy environments."

What is our primary use case?

We use Veeam to back up our customer's processes. We use it to save and store data and to replicate it from one site to another for data replication and disaster recovery.

In total, about 30 employees use this solution.

What is most valuable?

The replication feature has proven to be the most valuable feature for us.

The backup feature is good, but the replication as a technology at the time we chose Veeam was really effective.

Also, this solution is extremely user-friendly. They recently added a new reporting feature which has been really good.

What needs improvement?

Overall, it's a great technology; it's a great product. But Veeam has always been dedicated to the virtual environment — mostly the Intel virtual environment. In our market, the Italian market, there are many companies that have legacy environments that need to be backed up, and sometimes Veeam is not that effective when it comes to legacy environments.

Veeam Backup & Replication is very stable and reliable.

We installed it on-prem according to our customer's specifications. I would say it's a good product with fine scalability. I've never tried it in a very large environment, so I can't speak for large enterprises; however, I do know that some large companies use it.

The customer service is good and reliable.

The initial setup was very easy.

We resell perpetual licenses. We sell monthly licenses, too. Although the pricing could always be better, I'd say it's fair — it's not overpriced.

What other advice do I have?

Veeam Backup & Replication is a great product for a virtual environment — it's really effective.

From a technical point of view, it's very effective — I think they're doing great. Year after year, they announce many new features; they are definitely keeping up to date with the times. Many of their competitors have also released some sort of hardware as a repository together with their software. Still, I think that Veeam will stay software-only, which is fine. I think they're doing good.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Veeam Backup & Replication a rating of eight.

System administrator at a construction company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Quick and simplified backup and recovery on VM and HyperV databases.
  • "The features that I have found most valuable are its back up and recovery. It is a simplified backup because you can do both databases - VM and HyperV. It's a faster backup than the conventional methods because it takes up the bare metal."
  • "In the next release I would like to see a bit more intelligence as far as a solution or troubleshooting - to put it more on the level of resolution and not simply identifying there is a problem."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to back everything up.

What is most valuable?

The features that I have found most valuable are its back up and recovery. It is a simplified backup because you can do both databases - VM and HyperV. It is a faster backup than the conventional methods because it takes up the bare metal.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, I would say the manageability but not that much else.

I have been using Veeam Backup & Replication for a few years.

Veeam Backup & Replication is pretty stable. It has the odd problems here and there, but they are mostly due to snapshot running or things like that.

Veeam Backup & Replication is very scalable.

There are two administrators maintaining it.

In terms of increased usage, all future servers will be running Audit. We don't plan on changing for another one.

Technical support is pretty good. They have a fast response.

The last solution we used was Commvault and we were not satisfied with the results with the backup time, but that was more than 10 years ago.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

I'm not the one who installed initially, so I couldn't say for the implementation, but adding any products is very straightforward.

Our license is yearly, but I don't know the cost.

We did brief surveys of other solutions, but Veeam seemed to correspond with our virtual needs because 85% of our servers are virtual.

What other advice do I have?

I am very satisfied with Veeam Backup & Replication.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Veeam Backup & Replication an eight point five because it solves our problems but it's not perfect, but more than good enough.

Key Customer Manager at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Easy to install with good virtualization and the capability to scale
  • "For virtualization it's perfect."
  • "The pricing could be better."

What is most valuable?

For virtualization it's perfect.

The solution is very simple to install. The support and maintenance are also very easy.

The solution can scale.

For the most part, the stability is okay.

What needs improvement?

The solution is pretty much the same as a solution such as Comet, however, the only difference is that this is a bit weaker and not so strong at covering the applications and the physical servers side.

This solution is very young and they don't have a lot of references.

For physical servers and some applications like SAP and databases, they're less good.

It's not quite as secure as Comet.

The pricing could be better.

I've been using the solution for more than five years.

The stability is okay. It's not as good as Comet. Veeam is stable, however, it's not quite optimized correctly.

The solution is scalable, however, Comet is better in this regard. That said, if a company would like to expand, they can do so.

We have about 2,000 users on the solution. We have about 15 customers using the product.

Technical support is fine. They are helpful and responsive. We're satisfied with the level of service they provide.

I've also used Comet, which I would describe as better almost across the board, except for the virtualization.

The installation is pretty easy. It's not too complex.

It's 20% faster to install than Comet. It doesn't take too long to deploy.

Once everything is set up, it's very easy to maintain everything.

The solution keeps getting more and more expensive. They should work on the pricing.

Every year, they seem to raise the price by 10-15%. They used to be cheap. Now they are costly.

What other advice do I have?

We have the solution deployed both on-premises and on the cloud.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We're quite satisfied with the solution overall.

I'd recommend this solution to others.

Damian  Brand
IT Manager at OceanWeb Ltd
Absolutely stable, doesn't involve a lot of management, and does what we need it to do in the background
  • "Its simplicity and the fact that it just works are most valuable. We kind of set it up and generally forget about it. It does what we need it to do in the background, and it doesn't involve a lot of management."
  • "It is always nice to get products cheaper."

What is our primary use case?

We use it internally for our own systems, and we have slightly less need on our clients' side, just because they rarely need that kind of system. We can achieve it with other tools.

What is most valuable?

In terms of functionality, it's pretty good, There is a lot of variety in what it can do and how it can back up. We probably use only 10% of what it is kind of capable of, so we're not really pushing the boundaries of it and having any problem.

What needs improvement?

It is always nice to get products cheaper.

We have been dealing with this solution for maybe five years.

It is absolutely stable. We tend to set it and forget it. It has been a very reliable solution.

We don't really have much experience with their support. Over the five years, we've maybe put in one or two tickets, and that's about it.

It is very simple. It is pretty self-explanatory as long as you understand the virtual environments that you're working with. Veeam itself is pretty easy.

It is always nice to get products cheaper.

Technically, it saves you a lot of money. If you wanted to buy the same functionality out of vSphere, you would spend thousands to essentially get the same functionality.

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend it, but it also depends on whether or not it all fits in with the clients and the pricing model. It is like any backup solution. You have to consider what you're trying to get out of it before you go ahead and configure it, but for backup and replication across hosts, it works really well.

I would rate it a nine out of 10 for what it does. I don't know anything that does it as well.

IT Manager/System Admin at Sprague Europe
Multiple functions, simple to use and install, and well-documented
  • "I'm pleased with the ability to search for documents; it's very useful."
  • "Scalability, as well as licensing costs, need to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is used to backup, restore, and replicate our data.

What is most valuable?

It's an easy-to-use tool with multiple functions.

The replication is easy.

It provides good findability of the missing documents.

I'm pleased with the ability to search for documents; it's very useful.

There is a lot of documentation available online. The Veeam forum is a great place to start because it contains a great deal of information.

What needs improvement?

Scalability, as well as licensing costs, need to be improved.

I like the idea of a web-based version or a web console. That is the top priority for us.

We have been using Veeam Backup & Replication for more than five years.

We are working with the latest version.

Some features are missing, such as web-based versions.

I only have the software on the machine, and I must log in to use the software. There are some features that are missing in terms of stability.

Scalability needs to be improved.

In our organization, I am the only user from the IT department.

I contacted technical support in the middle of last year. There was an issue with our Veeam account that was resolved in a matter of days.

The initial setup is straightforward.

It is just a small installer. That was all there was to it, we just needed to fill in some options.

The licensing cost needs improvement.

We have a yearly perpetual license.

I was comparing Veeam to Dell DPS, and I was looking for information on products other than Veeam or Dell but were somewhere in between.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to determine whether the version they have is the correct one that they require, as Veeam has three different versions. As a result, you must determine which version is appropriate for your organization. That is a mistake that we have made in the past.

I would rate Veeam Backup & Replication an eight out of ten.

System Administrator at a maritime company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good integration and instant recovery feature is useful
  • "One of the most valuable features is the integration. Another good feature is the instant recovery."
  • "I think that Veeam could improve some performance issues when the backup itself is restored. I'm also using HPE StoreOnce, which has deduplication, and when I'm trying to test or run backups, it takes a lot of time. I think they could improve the testing for backup copies."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use Veeam Backup for VMware backups—I have one physical agent—and replications to SAN. I use it to copy backups to the cloud, as well as for tape backups. I also use it for restoring Azure backups and replicas to ensure that backup is successful.

This solution is deployed on-premises, and we are currently using the latest update.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Veeam Backup for more than five years.

This solution is very stable and reliable. I didn't face any issues with Veeam Backup Replication itself—the whole issue was related to issues with the operating system.

This solution is easy to scale.

I have contacted Veeam technical support a few times and was satisfied with the support. I contacted them regarding issues related to the backup copy to cloud and they helped to fix the problem.

The installation was straightforward and we handled it locally.

We have one admin using this application and two IT members working as alternative administrators for any issues if the main admin is not available. So we have a team of three handling maintenance.

We implemented this solution through an in-house team.

The pricing is on the higher side, so I think they have to think about the price. It's a stable product and there was no requirement to keep in touch with the support team, so the renewal license was too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a ten out of ten, and I would definitely recommend this solution to others.

Download our free Veeam Backup & Replication Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.