We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

vCenter Orchestrator OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

vCenter Orchestrator is #8 ranked solution in top Process Automation tools. PeerSpot users give vCenter Orchestrator an average rating of 8 out of 10. vCenter Orchestrator is most commonly compared to VMware vRealize Operations (vROps): vCenter Orchestrator vs VMware vRealize Operations (vROps). The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 28% of all views.
What is vCenter Orchestrator?
VMware vCenter Orchestrator simplifies the automation of complex IT tasks and integrates with VMware vCloud Suite components to adapt and extend service delivery and operational management, effectively working with existing infrastructure, tools and processes.

Download the Process Automation Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

vCenter Orchestrator Customers
Beiersdorf Shared Services
vCenter Orchestrator Video

Archived vCenter Orchestrator Reviews (more than two years old)

Consultor gerente at Telefónica
Affinity rules are valuable, but a lot of experience is needed to use this solution

What is our primary use case?

I am using this solution as a test for a future project.

How has it helped my organization?

vCenter Orchestrator is not in production yet.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is affinity rules.

What needs improvement?

Using this solution requires a lot of experience.

I have been using this solution for one month.

What is our primary use case?

I am using this solution as a test for a future project.

How has it helped my organization?

vCenter Orchestrator is not in production yet.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is affinity rules.

What needs improvement?

Using this solution requires a lot of experience.

I have been using this solution for one month.

IT Development Manager at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Workflow automation will make your daily tasks easier, but it needs bulk deployment capabilities
  • "The most valuable feature is workflow automation."
  • "This solution needs to have more built-in workflows."

What is our primary use case?

I have used this solution through all of the generations from 4.1, 5, 5.1, 5.5, 6, 6.5, and 6.7.

Our primary use case was for the deployment of a virtual machine with a specific naming convention. I have my own naming convention for applications such as Active Directory.

The deployment model depends on the environment. For VMware, I have only used it in private cloud deployments. In Asia, it is a public cloud using Microsoft Azure.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is workflow automation. I was interested in data and provisioning servers.

What needs improvement?

The migration from site-to-site needs to be improved.

It should be easier to automate tasks in bulk, such as instantiating several VMs.

I would like to be able to automate RDMs for clusters.

This solution needs to have more built-in workflows.

I have been using this solution for about eight years.

For many of the algorithms it was stable, but we had some problems. I think that it is more of a management issue, so I would rate it at eighty percent stable.

This solution is scalable.

The technical support for this solution is good.

I used another solution prior to this one, but it was not for VMware. It was for Microsoft VMM.

We also use an Oracle solution for private clouds. We did not switch. It depends on the user environment.

When you initially set up this solution, you implement your own workflows. It would be easier if they had more built-in.

The deployment takes not longer than thirty minutes.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is that Orchestrator will ease your life in your tasks. Once you teach yourself this product, it will make difficult jobs relatively easy.

It is a good solution, but it needs the capability of bulk deployment.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about VMware, Microsoft, ServiceNow and others in Process Automation. Updated: January 2022.
564,729 professionals have used our research since 2012.
IT Support at ICL
A stable and Cost-effective method for moving between machines

How has it helped my organization?

At this moment I can't find another solution that is better than vCenter Orchestrator. Haveri might be better in Malware.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the free movement of data between machines. It is the most cost-effective method for moving data between machines.

What needs improvement?

The licensing is expensive and should be improved.

I have been using this solution for six or seven years.

The solution is stable. We use it to prime the machines, and it's very good.

Apart from the times, we are doing the virtual relocations and it is scalable. …

How has it helped my organization?

Haveri might be better in Malware.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The licensing is expensive and should be improved.

I have been using this solution for six or seven years.

The solution is stable.

We use it to prime the machines, and it's very good.

Apart from the times, we are doing the virtual relocations and it is scalable.

The initial setup is easy.

It can take half a day to set up two to four servers.

This solution is expensive and the licensing is more attractive for Haveri.

What other advice do I have?

Even though it is expensive I would still rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Senior Engineer at a university with 5,001-10,000 employees
A stable, scalable solution with a quick deployment

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution to run my monitoring tools. For the universities I work with, the primary use is to run everything and anything.

What is most valuable?

The solution's ability to template and easily implement are the most valuable features. It offers good replication as well.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to integrate with Cloud facilities like AWS and Azure. Containerization, which I believe they are working on, needs to improve too.

I've been using the solution for two years.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for two years.

The solution is pretty stable. As long as you look after the boxes it's running on, and ensure they're connected, then you're fine. We don't plan to increase usage at this time.

The scalability of the solution is pretty good. We have about 100 or so users on the solution currently.

I've never really had to use technical support, so I don't have any experience with them.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

Deployment took less than a day. However, I did not handle the implementation. We only require two people for maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the on-premises deployment model.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

IT Expert at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A complete solution that is robust enough to leave it alone
  • "The most valuable feature is that this solution is complete, and you don't need any add-ons."
  • "In the next release, to make it easier to write the workflows, I would l like to see more HTML GUIs."

What is our primary use case?

For the deployment, we start with the VR Automation, it's part of it.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The UI should be more simplified so that fewer tech users are required.

The workflow can be complicated. I would like a simpler workflow, and I would like it to be more friendly to use.

In the next release, to make it easier to write the workflows, I would l like to see more HTML GUIs.

I have been using this solution for ten years.

This solution is stable.

It's running automatically, we don't touch it, everything that we are doing, we do through the VR automation, not through the Orchestrator.

This solution is scalable.

We have not contacted technical support because we haven't needed to.

The initial setup was straightforward.

The deployment was part of the VR Automations, it only took thirty minutes.

What other advice do I have?

We do not have a business relationship with VCenter Orchestrator, we are customers.

To do a day to day job, you already have everything that you need in this solution. Add-ons are not necessary. This is why it is a good solution.

IT manager at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
Easy to use, stable, and has good technical support
  • "vCenter Orchestrator is easy to use."
  • "The interface could be improved to bring greater user-friendliness and ease of use."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for automation.

We have an on-premises deployment, and we do not plan on using the cloud.

What is most valuable?

vCenter Orchestrator is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

We have been using this solution for more than eight years.

This is a stable platform.

This solution is scalable.

We have ten users, including system administrators and end-users.

Their technical support engineers were quite capable of dealing with any issues that we have had. Luckily, since the platform is stable enough, we haven’t had to open many cases. There was only one that we had in the initial phase.

The initial setup of this solution is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I definitely recommend this solution. As a whole, it is quite good. It is difficult to pick a single aspect that I would recommend. You have to use the whole thing.

From what I have been told, the newer versions have already addressed some of the issues that we have identified. We are planning on upgrading to the most recent version, and I am waiting to see what the differences are.

Adam Viusa
IT Manager at Garcia de Pou
Offers 100% stability and acts as a central place for our VMs
  • "It's 100% stable, it's always stable. We haven't had any bugs. The solution works very well and we haven't had any problems."
  • "Storage has room for improvement. It's a big problem for our solution. The interface also needs improvement, it should be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-premise deployment model.

vCenter is our primary resource for all our U.S. Enterprises. It's the central place for the VMs we are using as our servers.

What needs improvement?

Storage has room for improvement. It's a big problem for our solution. The interface also needs improvement, it should be simplified.

They should integrate more storage systems for the replication. There should be an integrated replication tool. We have two sites and we want to have the data between the sites and all the data replicated. There is no ability to do that now. You have to buy this ability from another vendor.

It's very expensive. The quality of the product is fine, it's good quality but the price is very high.

In the next release, they should have better data synchronization between different brands and hardware so that you can replicate two data stores. VMware should maintain decent replication. There's no synchronization between VMware and different brands. For example, one installment from Dell and one installment from HP should be able to synchronize their data.

We have been using vCenter Orchestrator for almost ten years.

It's 100% stable, it's always stable. We haven't had any bugs. The solution works very well and we haven't had any problems.

We haven't needed to contact their technical support. We have to pay for support but it should be free.

The initial setup was straightforward, it's not complex.

There are not many partners for this solution in our area. We would need to go to Barcelona for that.

We also looked at Microsoft Hyper-V

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of ten.

Ikechukwu Okorie
Managing Partner at Commsworth Solutions Limited
A solution with excellent dashboards and a straightforward setup that's easily scalable
  • "In regards to the workflows, the fact that we can actually have a full dashboard library of all the existing workflows on this is great. We can see all the workflows and what all the actions do and can work with scripts."
  • "As we work towards more stability on the solution, sometimes we'll try something and it breaks and it's easier to restart the service. That's the only drawback. We've experienced this with other applications as well."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to try to make use of it on a couple of workflows, as well as deployment, and packages.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution helps us to manage our resources more efficiently.

What is most valuable?

In regards to the workflows, the fact that we can actually have a full dashboard library of all the existing workflows on this is great. We can see all the workflows and what all the actions do and can work with scripts.

What needs improvement?

We haven't gotten to that level of usage yet as to be able to see the downsides. The solution has been able to handle our basic requirements at this point. Maybe in a year, when the team has used the solution extensively, we would be able to actually see the drawbacks, especially those of us who are trying to compare it with other solutions as well.

As we work towards more stability on the solution, sometimes we'll try something and it breaks and it's easier to restart the service. That's the only drawback. We've experienced this with other applications as well.

It would be great if the solution could further integrate with other services. it would be really good to have all of the solutions in one particular dashboard or one particular installed package. Right now, you can do that from other products, but we have to orchestrate it or have it as a subset. It would be great to actually have all the features bond together, especially for SMBs. It would be really cost-effective in the end.

I've been using the solution for about one year.

The solution is pretty scalable. With the new cloud platform, it's easy and at a fairly low cost. We do plan to increase usage in the future.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

For our organization, the initial setup was straightforward. We don't have a super complex multi-tenant environment, which may make it more complex for others.

Deployment took about a week but it wasn't a fast deployment. We handled it on and off as we handled other projects, so it happened over the course of two weeks to a month.

We had VMware assist with the implementation.

We're a partner, so we have a PLU licensing model; we have a partnership agreement.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the on-premise deployment model.

It's a great solution and it's great to work with as well. Anything coming from VMware is pretty much top-notch, but, of course, you still have to look at the licensing requirements before you sign on to the solution. It should be a case of functionality versus budget in terms of if it will work for your organization.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

MuhammadFarid
Co-Founder, IT Infrastrucure Solutions BU Head at Go Live
A scalable solution with a nice interface and an easy setup
  • "Communication with technical support is very good. It has a repository of knowledge base articles which we can access which are very helpful."
  • "Mainly VMware integrates with other products, but there is no easy way to link with other products from a different vendor. We can integrate with other products from the same vendors fairly well, but if they could make it so integration is easier with other vendors, that would really help."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is a cluster of servers which is managed by the vCenter cluster manager or vCenter Orchestrator. It controls workflows for us.

How has it helped my organization?

The powerful management console for each allocation gives the foundation of the organization. The ability for maneuvering in the location of computing resources and storage to reach the required performance for the IT department satisfies the organization's basic needs.

What is most valuable?

The solution's HA feature is very good. The VRS and multi-source scheduling are very helpful. The port to run feature is good as well.

The user interface is very user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be a little bit less expensive. It used to be cheaper, but now it is very costly and the license model counts by the processor. The currency conversion rate in Egypt is very high, and a couple of thousand dollars means here a lot of money to us here.

I've been using the solution for seven or eight years.

The solution is very scalable.

The initial setup was very easy.

What other advice do I have?

We mostly use the private cloud deployment model.

I would recommend the solution. I'd rate it 8.5 out of ten.

Amel Magouri
Senior Presales Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Simple, ergonomic, and easy to use in a complex environment
  • "The most valuable feature is that it's simple and very ergonomic to use the product compared to other virtualizing product. Out of Microsoft, Red Hat, and IBM, we found VMware to be the best one."
  • "It is too expensive. One of the main issues is the price."

What is our primary use case?

We are a software IT provider. I work with vCenter. We use it for our clients. It's for customers and our customers who use VMware products. We are the implementation engineers. Most of our clients work with the traditional data counter.

Our primary use case of this solution is for virtualization management, so virtualizing the infrastructure, and optimizing IT workload.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it's simple and very ergonomic to use the product compared to other virtualizing product. Out of Microsoft, Red Hat, and IBM, we found VMware to be the best one.

It's a single pane of glass. We can manage all the sectors on vCenter.

What needs improvement?

It is too expensive. One of the main issues is the price.

I don't know if vCenter Orchestrator can automize the provisioning of other products and other virtualizing software besides for VMware. If it will develop the ability to be a multi-provider product it will be better for VMware.

I would it to become multi-platforming, like what vRealize does.

We have been using this solution for almost eight years.

It is stable. I didn't find any technical problems with any VMware products, including vCenter. They are stable products and the only problem is that they cost a lot of money.

In Tunisia, we don't have very big data country like in the UK, Europe, and other countries. The biggest data center in my country has maybe around 500 virtual machines. We don't have the problem of scalability in Tunisia. We're a small country with a small data center. For big companies in Tunisia, it's compared to a middle-sized company in Europe.

We don't have this problem and I know vCenter it's very scalable with how much you can manage and how many customers you can manage. We don't have this problem with scalability.

We don't have a problem with VMware support. I would rate their support a nine out of ten.

We compared vCenter to Microsoft SCCM and other tools and I think vCenter is the most dynamic and the easier one to use in any complex environment.

The initial setup is not complicated. The setup took around half a day. If we have all the requirement that we request it takes less than half a day.

We do both. We implement and we do the support and maintenance tasks. We only require one staff member for the deployment.

The setup depends on how the company has organized it. We have people who are responsible for the implementation and people who are responsible for the maintenance and support desk. But if you have a problem then just one person can fix that problem.

Our licensing is on a yearly basis. We pay for the license and then we pay the support every year.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of ten. Not a ten because of the price.

Cloud Support at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Useful for creating workflows, but the IDE needs improvement that includes support for more languages
  • "The most valuable feature of this solution is the workflow creation."
  • "The custom workflows are very difficult and confusing."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for creating workflows, and we have a public-cloud deployment.

We are a cloud service provider. We have the ability to do custom workflows for our customers, but none of our customers are using workflows right now.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the workflow creation.

The user interface is ok.

What needs improvement?

The custom workflows are very difficult and confusing.

The IDE for developing is not user-friendly and does not have IntelliSense for checking your code. I find this to be very challenging.

It would be nice if the IDE accommodated all of the languages because right now, it only has JavaScript. More options for scripting are needed, such as C# and Acorn.

I would like to see the creation of video tutorials to help learn how to use particular functions of the product.

We have been using this solution for seven months.

I don't think that this product is very stable because, at the moment, I am not able to run workflows. It crashes. Workflows that I have run before, I'm not able to run them again. It just crashes for no reason.

This solution may be scalable but right now, I haven't had any cause to explore scalability. In my environment, we do not have customers for this solution. It is used in-house.

We're working on internal workflow, but at the moment, it is not being used extensively.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

The initial setup was not straightforward. I had to do a lot of research, and a lot of reading. There was no material available online.

I performed the implementation myself, but as I said, it was not straightforward. I had to search and experienced a lot of challenges, but at the end of the day, I was able to figure it out.

We did not evaluate other options before choosing this solution.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I'm still exploring.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Pre-Sales & Training Manager with 11-50 employees
It is a good solution for balancing workloads

What is our primary use case?

We use it for segmentation and the isolation of tenants.

How has it helped my organization?

The DRS feature from VMware is very valuable to us because it balances workloads.

What is most valuable?

I did not encounter any downtime in my environment.

What needs improvement?

VMware continues to improve its product, and we find a lot of new features that have improved over the years. I would like to see a greater ability to do mobile administration.

More than five years.

The stability is good. It is a stable solution.

We have had no problems with scaling of this product. We have over 130…

What is our primary use case?

We use it for segmentation and the isolation of tenants.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

I did not encounter any downtime in my environment.

More than five years.

The stability is good. It is a stable solution.

We have had no problems with scaling of this product. We have over 130 users of the product.

Deployment took us approximately four hours.

Technical Specialist at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Hardware abstraction layer makes VMs portable when moving to a different platform
  • "The hardware abstraction layer, being able to make the VMs portable when moving to a different platform or over a WAN."
  • "I would like to see, from within the Web Console, being able to define the project and custom templates per user; almost like how CloudSpec has approached the solution."

What is our primary use case?

Primary use would be consolidation into a smaller footprint and its performance is pretty good.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to maintain an offline catalog of a bunch of product configurations that can be powered on remotely, so they don't use any resources while they are off.

More than five years.

Stability is an eight out of 10.

Scalability is an eight out of 10.

There was no previous solution. It was all bare metal hardware.

When selecting a vendor the most important criteria are time in the industry and cost.

The initial setup was very simple.

I looked at Zen, VMware, Microsoft Hyper-V, and the free Linux solution. My decision was made by the fact that our product support team only specifically supports virtualization on VMware.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a nine out of 10 because of its simplicity, scalability, and availability. The one ding would be the need for better manageability of VM sprawl, that would be nice.

In terms of advice, I would tell people that this is VMware's only business, or primary business. That's longevity in your investment, as opposed to going with a Microsoft or a Linux that may or may not continue the solution.

Technical Architect at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
Essential tool to automate cloud administration activities....
Essential tool to automate cloud administration activities.

Essential tool to automate cloud administration activities.