IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Trend Micro Smart Protection OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Trend Micro Smart Protection is #21 ranked solution in endpoint security software. PeerSpot users give Trend Micro Smart Protection an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Trend Micro Smart Protection is most commonly compared to Trend Micro Apex One: Trend Micro Smart Protection vs Trend Micro Apex One. Trend Micro Smart Protection is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 56% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 23% of all views.
Trend Micro Smart Protection Buyer's Guide

Download the Trend Micro Smart Protection Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Trend Micro Smart Protection?

Traditional security solutions can’t keep up with your users. Turning to multiple point products to address the myriad of challenges only increases complexity and may leave gaps in your security. Plus, you need a flexible solution that can grow and change with you as you migrate from on-premises to the cloud. To effectively counter today’s evolving threat landscape, you need integrated security that consolidates your view across all layers of protection and all deployment models.
Trend Micro™ Smart Protection Complete is a connected suite of security capabilities that protects
your users no matter where they go or what they do. This modern security delivers the best protection at multiple layers: endpoint, application, and network, using the broadest range of threat protection techniques available. Plus, you can evolve your protection along with your business using flexible on-premises, cloud, and hybrid deployment models that fit your IT environment today and tomorrow. In addition, you can manage users across multiple threat vectors from a single “pane of glass,” giving you complete visibility of the security of your environment.

Trend Micro Smart Protection was previously known as Trend Micro Smart Protection Complete.

Trend Micro Smart Protection Customers

Atma Jaya Catholic University of Indonesia, Blekinge County Council, Bulgarian American Credit Bank, Cancer Research UK, Delacour, Evalueserve, Gulftainer, Hiroshima Red Cross Hospital & Atomic-bomb Survivors Hospital, Mazda Motor Logistics Europe, MEDHOST, Nikigolf, Ochsner Health System, SIAX Computing Solutions, Tegen

Trend Micro Smart Protection Video

Archived Trend Micro Smart Protection Reviews (more than two years old)

Ozden Aydin - PeerSpot reviewer
Technology Consultant at 1ware
Has an easy configuration and good stability

What is our primary use case?

Our customers like this solution out of many models.

What is most valuable?

The configuration is easy.

What needs improvement?

There is room for improvement to make it better for customers.

We haven't had any glitches or bugs.

Trend Micro Smart Protection
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about Trend Micro Smart Protection. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
621,327 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I haven't contacted technical support.

The initial setup is easy. The deployment takes around a day. I set up the product site and the demo site.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to my customers. Symantec requires many agents for different modules but this only requires one agent.

I would rate it an eight out of ten. It's not perfect, it has room for improvement.

Nadeem Syed - PeerSpot reviewer
CEO at Haniya Technologies
Reseller
Easy to deploy with proactive sandboxing and built-in DLP capabilities
  • "The sandboxing is more proactive and more reliable than any of the other endpoint protection solutions."
  • "This product is not very simple and in fact, kind of hard for some people to understand."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and we are pitching this product to our enterprise clients. These include organizations in the financial and banking sector, as well as other industries. We are focusing on endpoint protection.

How has it helped my organization?

It sure did. We see major improvement in terms of slowness of machines / computers and blocking more ransomware than any others i have seen.

What is most valuable?

Trend Micro has several features that help to distinguish it from other vendors, especially Kaspersky. These include:

• There is a choice of deployment between cloud-based and on-premises.
  • Endpoint protection includes DLP capabilities.
  • The sandboxing is more proactive and more reliable than any of the other endpoint protection solutions. It helps to thwart ransomware attacks.

What needs improvement?

This product is not very simple and in fact, kind of hard for some people to understand. After you start working with it, you get the hang of it.

It would be helpful to have vulnerability scanning and patching built-in. It is available as a separate product and including it would be a good selling point. However, if it is very heavy when running on the end-users computers then it is going to backfire.

I started working with Trend Micro Smart Protection three or four months ago.

This is not a new product and it is very stable, although one of our engineers found a bug, which was reported to Trend Micro.

This is a scalable solution. There are some enterprise-level clients with 6,000 or 8,000 licenses. In my experience, I have not seen any endpoint products that are not scalable.

We have approximately 140 clients who are using Trend Micro products. These are products with a security purpose that is very specific and I am not sure how many are using the Smart Protection Complete solution.

I have not personally contacted technical support.

Prior to this, I was very committed to Kaspersky. In the past ten years, 70% of the endpoint protection market has been captured by Kaspersky. Before that, it was Symantec. I also have experience with solutions from Bitdefender, McAfee, and Sophos.

I think that Trend Micro is already quite strong against Symantec and Sophos. With respect to Kaspersky, they do not have and endpoint DLP solution, it does not have a choice of deployment model, and the sandboxing is not as proactive. That said, I feel that Kaspersky is the biggest competitor. It is a more mature product in Pakistan and I have different clients who are using each of these solutions. Overall, they are not much different in terms of features.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

It takes a much shorter time to deploy compared to any other product that I have worked with. As an example, I have one client who purchased 150 licenses. The choice was made to deploy it to the cloud. From start to finish, with the configuration and fine-tuning, it took between four and five hours.

I would estimate that the deployment takes between 30 and 40 minutes unless you face some kind of unprecedented difficulty in your network that is not related to the endpoint. The length of time also varies depending on how big the network is and how ideal the situation is. Sometimes, for example, you need end-users to turn off their computers.

Well since we are the vendors and implemented and deployed on client side many times, i would say you definitely required highest level of expertise.

In a longer term, you definitely get your money worth spending on Trend Micro product.

Licensing module is more or less as any other AV. However, they are on little expensive side compare to other products but i believe it is worth it because of the features and quality of the product.

Yes, i have evaluated kaspersky, Symantec and bit defender.

What other advice do I have?

There was a big gap in the availability of this product in Pakistan from 2009 to 2017. There was simply no presence of Trend Micro. In 2017, they hired people and they started a local distributor that included a technical team. With the backend support here, it has strengthened the market.

When we demonstrate this solution to potential clients, we conduct the demo on the cloud. However, we leave the option to them whether they want an on-premises or cloud-based deployment. Organizations and banks in the financial sector in Pakistan generally do not use cloud-based solutions at this time.

That said, my advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to use a cloud-based deployment. It is much easier to administer because you have access to the dashboard from anywhere at any time. Also, if it happens that they do require technical support then it is easier to give access to the vendor's support team. Otherwise, it will take longer to resolve the issue.

Nothing is perfect and there is always room for improvement.

Hybrid Cloud

Other
Trend Micro Smart Protection
July 2022
621,327 professionals have used our research since 2012.
IT and Digital Officer with 51-200 employees
Affordable licensing, good reporting, and excellent technical support
  • "Your workstation doesn't slow down, unlike when you use Symantec, for example."
  • "I've not explored all of the features up to now. I still need to see all of the features implemented first to be able to see if anything is missing. However, as of right now, it's working very well for us."

What is our primary use case?

Our organization primarily uses the solution for formalities and as a brand protection antivirus. We plan to start to use it as end-point encryption and USB encryption, as well as to protect our emails.

What is most valuable?

The one PIN reporting is excellent on the solution. Our organization likes that very much.

The reporting, in general, is very easy to understand and is much better than Surface. That particular solution has quite complex reporting that isn't easy to read.

Your workstation doesn't slow down, unlike when you use Symantec, for example.

What needs improvement?

I haven't used the solution for very long, so I haven't encountered many issues using the solution. We're just using it as brand protection for now, and for that, it is working as it should.

I've only been using the solution for about one year now.

The solution has been very stable for our organization. We haven't encountered any bugs or glitches. There haven't been crashes. It's worked well for us and we consider it reliable.

The solution is scalable. If a company needs to expand it out further they should be able to do so easily.

We currently have 120 people within our organization using the product.

We've been in touch with technical support in the past. We've been satisfied with their level of assistance and the speed and quality in which they deliver it.

In the past, I have also worked with McAfee, Symantec, and Surface.

The last time I used a Symantec I had a lot of issues where a lot of my workstations become slow. With McAfee updating the product was always quite an issue. Surface had reports, that, for me, were very complex compared to Trend Micro. That's why our organization decided to switch to this solution instead of using the others mentioned.

I wasn't a part of the implementation team, so I can't speak to what the process was like. I have no idea as to if it is difficult or straightforward.

We had a third party handle the installation for us.

Our organization has paid licensing for three years, which averaged about $4.00 USD per user. We've been satisfied with the licensing. It's quite reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the solution. I'd rate it nine out of ten.

Other
Cybersecurity Manager at a educational organization with 1-10 employees
Good documentation and excellent technical support but needs to have an easier deployment
  • "The solution gives users peace of mind that, form an endpoint perspective, they are protected once it is installed."
  • "The solution needs to improve the deployment so it aligns with the latest Microsoft patches and upgrades. It makes the deployment process lengthy and painful."

What is our primary use case?

There were a couple of primary use cases for us. One of the most frequent was to deploy an agent onto user devices, including laptops and workstations. We were also to employ agents on mobile. It was used to detect viruses on everything from computers to USBs in our organization.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution gives users peace of mind that, form an endpoint perspective, they are protected once it is installed.

What is most valuable?

The centralized dashboard from which we can see all activities and get reports is very good. We can also do all configurations from a single panel of a management console. It's helpful.

The solution overall is very helpful and very reliable. We appreciate the reliability of the system.

We've compared it to another Trend Micro product that is free, and this solution catches a lot more viruses than the free version.

When users click on links accidentally, Trend Micro is able to contain and block viruses to ensure nothing happens to an organization's system. It protects not only the client's users but also the main core infrastructure.

The customer service from the product is great. There's lots of hands-on navigation support, and you call in or be on a conference line with the support when you need them. They will go over everything related to any upgrades or deployments.

The documentation is very thorough and robust. It makes a lengthy deployment a bit easier.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to add more AI. It already has some AI and machine learning built in, but they could be more advanced and offer deeper learning capabilities.

I had been using the solution for just over one year. I used it from September 2018 until about November 2019.

The product is a very stable solution. However, it could be more compatible with major vendors, especially Microsoft.

I'm not sure I can talk to the scalability of the product. Our organization had over 1,000 people, but I had not witnessed our organization try to scale it.

Typically the solution is handled by users directly from the IT department.

Technical support is fantastic, especially in relation to deployment, where we originally ran into a bit of trouble in relation to Microsoft patches. They stayed with us on the phone and helped us power through the implementation by sharing their knowledge and advice.

Their service is also very quick. They have less than a 24-hour turnaround.

I did previously use a different solution. It was a long time ago, so I'm unsure as to what the company did use back then.

The setup was pretty straightforward.

The deployment, in terms of the upgrade process, isn't as simple. If Microsoft, for example, patches things, you have to pause or disable the software before the patch and upgrade is applied before you can enable the agent. It would be helpful if this process was easier and if the solution would ultimately be more compatible with Microsoft's upgrades. It requires a lot of the user's attention.

We have an implementation strategy to move from on-premises to the cloud in the near future.

We required three people for maintenance.

We worked directly with a reseller, but more from a license procurement perspective. The assistance we received for the initial setup was more directly from Trend Micro.

The licensing is on a yearly basis and I believe our organization paid about $2,000/year. However, it's been a while since I looked at the pricing and we no longer use the solution.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of advice to other users, because there are so many products out there, I would caution anyone to do a thorough POC. It would be helpful. Once a company is hands-on with it, they will begin to understand a lot about the product. Demos are very limiting. Currently, I'm looking at and trying out other solutions as we've moved away from this one.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

IT Expert at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Excellent reporting features and a good user interface with very fast packet data
  • "The solution integrates well with other Trend Micro products."
  • "The threat response could be a bit better."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution due to a recommendation from our partner.

What is most valuable?

The solution is able to detect custom viruses that have been targeted at us.

The solution integrates well with other Trend Micro products.

The solution's interface is good.

There is very good computer visibility and machine control.

The reporting features are very good.

The integration of packet data is very fast.

What needs improvement?

The price of the solution could be improved. For us, this is the most important aspect that could be better. If they could improve their pricing strategy, it would impress us.

The threat response could be a bit better.

I believe I've been using the solution for around five years now.

The solution is stable. We haven't experienced any issues with the stability at all. There haven't been any bugs or glitches. There haven't been any crashes either.

Although someone on our team may have called technical support, I personally have not. I can't speak to any direct experience with them.

For many years, we used Symantec. We were not satisfied with it, so we decided to switch.

The initial setup is easy. We found it straightforward.

The solution was deployed for our company, for the whole infrastructure.

It might have taken us up to a week to deploy it.

I handled the implementation myself.

What other advice do I have?

We have about 3,000 people in our company, and of that, about 2,800 are on the solution.

I'd rate the solution ten out of ten.

Right now, we anticipate the solution will work well with different vendors. However, this is still a big question for us, as our infrastructure is Cisco, and they provide us with integrations for visibility, connector response threads, etc. At this point, we're considering switching entirely over from Trend Micro to Cisco because we have so much on Cisco already. Our management will ultimately decide on the direction the company decides to go.

IT Manager at a security firm with 201-500 employees
Threat protection that is priced well
  • "What I like the most is the customer pricing because it's a great value."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see a combination of the different features from Apex One and OfficeScan in Trend Micro Smart, rather than as upgraded features."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for antivirus protection, ransomware, and trojan horse protection.

What is most valuable?

What I like the most is the customer pricing because it's a great value.

What needs improvement?

We are currently using Trend Micro for protection, but they have another product called Apex One that we would like to use instead.

Apex One includes artificial intelligence and is offered as an upgrade.

Trend Micro is signature-based, and with Apex One, because of the Artificial Intelligence, you don't have to use the signature file.

I have been using this solution for three years.

We have a had a few glitches but every program experiences the same thing, so it was not a problem.

We have 300 users.

We have not contacted technical support, but we do have local support available.

Previously, we were using CrowdStrike and Carbon Black. In the last ten years, we have used three or four different brands and we feel that sometimes it is good to change.

The initial setup is straightforward.

Most were deployed automatically, but there were a few colleagues that were working on site offices in other cities which required it to be done manually.

This solution provides good value for the price.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution.

Purchase Manager at LET nv
Great for smartphone protection, with good stability and a straightforward setup
  • "The most valuable aspect of the solution is that it also protects our smartphones. It's one of the reasons we use Trend Micro specifically."
  • "We were considering switching to SentinalOne because it has pre-detection, and Trend Micro does not offer this; it's something the solution should add."

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for three years.

The solution is stable.

When we originally started using the solution, we had more users and the solution worked well. Currently, we have 45 users. Once we switch to the Apex version, we'll decide if we'll stick with Trend Micro and increase usage or not.

Technical support isn't bad. We don't need to contact them that often. The last time we reached out may have been a year ago. We typically just contact them around deployments.

Previously, we used Norton. We switched because we're able to use Trend Micro on all of our devices, including smartphones.

The initial setup is straightforward. Deployment doesn't take too long. It may take a few hours, but I can't be sure as to the exact timing as we installed our solution three years ago. You don't need anyone for maintenance once it's up and running.

We pay for the solution on a yearly basis. We pay approximately 100 Euros a year per user. There are no additional fees above this.

I'm not sure if we reviewed other options and which they were as it's been three years since we switched over to this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure which version of the solution we are currently using (I believe it was the last one), but when we sign on for the next year, we were going over to the Apex version.

We use the on-premises deployment model.

We're happy with the solution and can advise others to use it, but there are other good solutions out there as well.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Head of IT at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
Offers a lot of plugins and good compatibility with excellent scanning
  • "We haven't had any compatibility issues. It's quite stable and it's a good tool in preventing actual viruses or malware."
  • "The solution should improve its mobile management solution."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for endpoint protection including antivirus and malware protection. We also use it for mail scanning and as a proxy for web protection. The most important cases are those, but we also use it for mobile device management, etc.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers a lot of plugins or options. The endpoint protection for mail protection and also website scanning is also very good.

We are very happy with the mail scanning, as well as the anti-spam and antivirus scanning of incoming mail.

What needs improvement?

The design of management tools needs improvement. They are improving it constantly, but there's still room for improvement. The integration part is quite good, but it could be even better.

The solution should improve its mobile management solution.

Instability is very, very rare. It's quite stable. We are very happy about that. It doesn't have many bugs.

In some cases, stability depends on the version of Windows we are using. However, they update the solution quite often and we are very, very pleased with that.

We are not a big company, so we can't speak to enterprise-level scaling. We did acquire additional licenses and that wasn't a problem. We just installed a new license key and increased the number of licenses needed to support, and for us, for our company size, it's seamless.

If we have some questions or issues, we have support contracts with external partners, but we don't use them that much.

We don't contact technical support often, but we have contacted them in the past. We had a small issue once and they were quite quick to respond and offered us a ready-made solution. It was a great experience.

We've had some side solutions in the past, but in this company, we are mostly using this product. We don't mix much with other solutions.

The initial setup is quite straightforward. It's not really complex, though it depends on the tool you use. The solution guides you quite well while installing it and the manuals are comprehensive.

In terms of deployment, we didn't deploy the entire suite at once but in phases. It was quick, however, as we are not a big organization. For us, it was straightforward and we didn't have any issues.

Our company has an in-house IT team and we handled nearly everything. For a few items, we contacted our partners, but mostly we managed the implementation by ourselves.

We pay about 6,000 Euros per year for an annual license. We don't pay for any extra services or add-ons above that.

We are constantly looking at other possible solutions, but for now, with the options that this solution offers, and the competitive pricing, we are satisfied.

What other advice do I have?

We've been using the solution for about ten years, although it was under a different name originally. We mostly use the on-premises deployment model but do have a few cloud deployments as well.

I'd advise others to try it. There are trial versions you can try if you are curious. We tested it and we were able to check for ourselves if it suited our needs. There are a lot of solutions, and quite a lot of options and for us, but this one is the perfect one for us.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Bharat Kandanoor - PeerSpot reviewer
Head of Security and Engineering at BlueAlly
Reseller
The product scales well, but it does not provide insights into what is being done
  • "The scalability works well."
  • "It does not provide insights into what is being done."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is endpoint protection.

What needs improvement?

It does not provide insights into what is being done. I don't see value when I present the product to the customer. It says it has done something, but it doesn't provide me any information about what was done.

Insights are very important. When it say that definitions are updated, which definitions? How is it protecting me? What is the product doing? All I am getting are one line updates.

More insights, like metadata, is important. Without this, there is no point in installing the solution.

The stability is okay.

The scalability works well.

We have not had any challenges with the technical support.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is a freestyle installation. It is double click, then you are done.

We do the customer installations.

I have not seen any value yet.

Our shortlist consisted of Sophos, Trend Micro, and SentinelOne.

I have another solution that I am currently evaluating to see if it will provide better value.

Download our free Trend Micro Smart Protection Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: July 2022