IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Trend Micro Smart Protection OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Trend Micro Smart Protection is #20 ranked solution in endpoint security software. PeerSpot users give Trend Micro Smart Protection an average rating of 8 out of 10. Trend Micro Smart Protection is most commonly compared to Trend Micro Apex One: Trend Micro Smart Protection vs Trend Micro Apex One. Trend Micro Smart Protection is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 56% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.
Trend Micro Smart Protection Buyer's Guide

Download the Trend Micro Smart Protection Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Trend Micro Smart Protection?

Traditional security solutions can’t keep up with your users. Turning to multiple point products to address the myriad of challenges only increases complexity and may leave gaps in your security. Plus, you need a flexible solution that can grow and change with you as you migrate from on-premises to the cloud. To effectively counter today’s evolving threat landscape, you need integrated security that consolidates your view across all layers of protection and all deployment models.
Trend Micro™ Smart Protection Complete is a connected suite of security capabilities that protects
your users no matter where they go or what they do. This modern security delivers the best protection at multiple layers: endpoint, application, and network, using the broadest range of threat protection techniques available. Plus, you can evolve your protection along with your business using flexible on-premises, cloud, and hybrid deployment models that fit your IT environment today and tomorrow. In addition, you can manage users across multiple threat vectors from a single “pane of glass,” giving you complete visibility of the security of your environment.

Trend Micro Smart Protection was previously known as Trend Micro Smart Protection Complete.

Trend Micro Smart Protection Customers

Atma Jaya Catholic University of Indonesia, Blekinge County Council, Bulgarian American Credit Bank, Cancer Research UK, Delacour, Evalueserve, Gulftainer, Hiroshima Red Cross Hospital & Atomic-bomb Survivors Hospital, Mazda Motor Logistics Europe, MEDHOST, Nikigolf, Ochsner Health System, SIAX Computing Solutions, Tegen

Trend Micro Smart Protection Video

Trend Micro Smart Protection Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Trend Micro Smart Protection pricing:
  • "If I'm not mistaken, for three years, for 400 licenses, we paid nearly 15,000 euros. We don't have any additional costs that we have to pay on top of that."
  • "Its price is fine. Price-wise, it is competitive with any other vendor."
  • "There is an annual subscription license on it. In the next release, there might be monthly payment options. So, people might be able to get it through AWS in the future, but right now for on-prem, it is annual."
  • Trend Micro Smart Protection Reviews

Amir Afkhami - PeerSpot reviewer
    Country IT Logistics & Facilities Manager at DHL
    Straightforward to use with good licensing options and doesn't consume too many resources
    • "As a Japanese company, it doesn't have any restrictions on usage in our country."
    • "We found an issue on the server-side. Sometimes, it slows down the servers if you install it on the SQL."

What is most valuable?

The software itself is very light. It doesn't consume many resources on the clients.  The solution is pretty straightforward. The licensing is very good. As a Japanese company, it doesn't have any restrictions on usage in our country.

What needs improvement?

We found an issue on the server-side. Sometimes, it slows down the servers if you install it on the SQL.  In some cases, the version on the server-side, when you install it on the server, doesn't update when the updates are available. For example, if the virus definitions are getting updated every two days, even though you push the updates to the servers from the management console of Trend Micro, it doesn't update the servers successfully.On the client-side, on the computers, desktops, and laptops, when you do the restart, the new virus definition appears. We are now working with technical support to find out a way to upgrade or use a patch or do some modifications to get the servers updated frequently. Even though we push twice a week from the management console to the servers, still those definitions are not getting updated. We have quite a number of servers - almost 90 server installations - therefore, it's very hard to restart them just to get the virus definition updated. That's one of our biggest problems at the moment with Trend Micro. Of course, when you do restart the server, it fetches the updates from the management server but that's not the way you can perfect the server. It should be noted that servers sometimes will not get used for a month or two. That's a challenge for us, keeping them updated. On top of that, the current vulnerabilities that you have up there on the Windows clients and the number of attacks registered, have increased. It would be ideal if the solution could offer more control of computers from the management console in terms of, maybe, dealing with file-sharing. You should be able to block computers from sharing when they are on an external network. That's one of the things I was hoping they could catch in the new version that was released in July, but we didn't get that option.In Symantec, for example, you can block file-sharing on your clients so they cannot share any data with anybody in the network if they connect to an external network. It makes things much safer.

I've been using the solution for three years now.

We haven't had any issues with the stability of the product. It doesn't crash, or freeze and there aren't bugs. It's actually very smart. We haven't had any issues with any of our clients or on our computers.
    Trend Micro Smart Protection
    June 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Trend Micro Smart Protection. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
    609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have scaled the solution slightly. The initial report was for 300 clients. We added on 100 more clients, and there was no problem. There was no performance degradation on the management console, and it was running fine. Therefore, I can say that it can scale pretty well. We'll likely further increase usage. We were planning a review. We are actually in process of getting a quotation to get it upgraded to increase our license, in order to cover all of our distributors and partners. There are small companies, but they're not running any security protection on their clients. So every now and then they will have an infected machine that will infect their ERP system and the sales on their system will be impacted. Therefore, on behalf of them, we are purchasing the licenses for all their clients to ensure business continuity on their side. We are looking at almost 100 additional licenses.

In our region, we get support from India. There are actually some problems with some latency in getting the support we need. We have to wait until Monday to get the support from them as, in our time zone, we work Saturday until Wednesday. The weekends are Thursdays and Fridays. However, they work from Monday to Friday. Therefore, we will have only three days of office hours overlap. If you want to get support from them, you need to follow their availability. It is also not around the clock. It's only business days in India.

I have experience with Symantec Endpoint as well. I use both solutions.

Initially, there was a challenge where we had to change our server and do the installation, however, that wasn't due to the functionality of Trend Micro. When you change the server you need to have all the clients' requirements related to the parameters of the new server. We did that through group policies and running small scripts in the stackable scripts of the group policy. That way, from the Windows side, certain clients get redirected to the new server.However, when we wanted to upgrade it to the latest client version in July, we had to do them all manually. It pushes the installation to the client when it comes to implementers. Yet, in terms of changing the version, upgrading the version, or the agent on the client-side, sometimes you need to do that manually. We have 400 clients, and we needed to load them one-by-one. We had to manually remove the old version and install the new version.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Trend Micro. Trend Micro may be planning to launch a new product called Apex or Alex in January. However, right now, we are using the most current version of the solution which was launched in July. This version is compatible with Windows 10. We actually waited for this release to happen due to the fact that the previous versions of Trend Micro were not compatible with the latest Windows so we couldn't upgrade our Windows clients. We waited nearly three months, or maybe two months, so we would be able to upgrade our clients' Windows builds to the latest version, and ensure everything was compatible. We have a management server that manages the licenses and the number of computers and the deployment and management of computers. It companies are considering the solution, it's a good idea to do a virtual benchmark. I wasn't sure that Trend Micro was a good solution, so I ran a benchmark. I had prior experience with Symantec Endpoint Protection, and also Panda software- the Panda Security Cloud Version. BI found that Trend Micro was very reliable in terms of when we did the benchmark on the software, on the licenses, on the management side, and the admin solution overhead.  Considering the trade sanctions and all the complications we have in Iran, I found Trend Micro to be compatible with those sanctions as well, as it's a Japanese company and they are not using any technology developed in U.S. It was a sanction-compliant solution as well. In terms of the cost, you could buy the license for three years or five years. It was almost hassle-free to get the new party license for three years. You don't need to pay for any license renewal every year.  It's very straightforward and usable. In terms of administration, the liability is better than Panda, Sophos, and Symantec. With Symantec, it's a U.S. product, therefore we couldn't use it in Iran anyway. Overall, I would rate the solution eight out of ten. However, with the embargo, there isn't as much competition in the market right now. We don't have too many options.

Mohsinoddi Mohammed - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Information Security Consultant at Alkhorayef
    Offers behavior monitoring, machine learning with excellent web reputation service
    • "The most valuable features are the behavior monitoring, behavior analysis, and web reputation service."
    • "The only drawback to this solution is that it needs different products for different types of clients, and it would be better to have a single agent for all of the products."

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using this solution for protecting endpoints and servers, which includes schedule scanning on weekly basis. Also using web reputation services for actively blocking any malicious website at user end.

How has it helped my organization?

Primarily, we are using this solution for protecting endpoints and servers as well. This solution is a part of our multi-layers security for browsing internet.

we use this endpoint protection to protect our endpoints using behavior and signature-based analysis. We are not totally dependent on Trend Micro, but it is part of our multi-layered protection approach.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the behavior monitoring, behavior analysis, and web reputation service. They have a very good web reputation service.

What needs improvement?

The only drawback to this solution is that it needs different products for different types of clients, and it would be better to have a single agent for all of the products. For example, for clients we need to have officescan and for server we need to have deep security from trendmicro.

Improvements need to be made so that detection is more behavior-based, rather than signature-based. The behavior analytics is there but it needs to be more advanced. Ideally, I would like to see completely signature-less threat detection.

We have been using Smart Protection Complete for more than six years.

This solution is very stable and provides all of the protection that we are expecting. We can trust this product and are using it for each and every client. In fact, this endpoint solution is used for everything.

Scalability is not a problem. We have more than 2,000 clients who are using this solution and 10 to 15 of them are administrators.

The technical support is excellent. I have not seen this level of support from any other vendors.

We used to use a solution by McAfee but we switched because of the support. It was not matching our criteria at that time, although now I know they improved.

I would not say that the initial setup is easy or difficult. It does require some expertise, so it is not easy. It is difficult in terms of management.

The length of time for deployment depends on the number of clients. With more than 2,000 clients, our deployment took almost one and a half months. We have six people, two engineers and four technicians, who were involved in the deployment.

We are always evaluating other products and comparing them to Trend Micro. Between 40% and 50% of these products rely on a signature-based detection method, while there are a few that depend totally on behavior analysis. We are always looking for next-generation antivirus solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this product as it can be first line of defense for any organization with excellent features, like behavior monitoring, machine learning, and others...

Overall, this product is very good, although there is still room for improvement.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Other
    Trend Micro Smart Protection
    June 2022
    609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Senior Account Solutions Architect-II at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Reseller
    Amazing product with DLP, vulnerability management, and application whitelisting features
    • "Product-wise, it is amazing. It includes DLP, vulnerability management, and application whitelisting features. These features are very good and add value in selling this solution to our customers. These features make the key selling point. I recently did a comparison with the FireEye firewall for a customer. They were basically going to replace Trend Micro with their EDR. Because of these features, I could convince the customer that Trend Micro is better than FireEye."
    • "Documentation-wise, they are a disaster. If you want to know something about Trend Micro, you will not find anything useful from Trend Micro themselves. You have to basically dig some blog, or you need to seek some expert to help you understand what they are offering. I have never seen such a good product with such disastrous documentation. Feature-wise, almost all vendors are providing the same features, but it is all about the integration. For example, Trend Micro is promoting their endpoint protection suite, but they never mention about the integration that they are offering with their EDR solution. They are treating each product as a separate island, and you don't know much about their integration. It would be good if they can focus on integration."

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator, and we sell Trend Micro solutions. We are also using Trend Micro solutions for our internal IT. We use this solution for endpoint protection (EPP). We also use it for server protection.

What is most valuable?

Product-wise, it is amazing. It includes DLP, vulnerability management, and application whitelisting features. These features are very good and add value in selling this solution to our customers. These features make the key selling point. I recently did a comparison with the FireEye firewall for a customer. They were basically going to replace Trend Micro with their EDR. Because of these features, I could convince the customer that Trend Micro is better than FireEye.

What needs improvement?

Documentation-wise, they are a disaster. If you want to know something about Trend Micro, you will not find anything useful from Trend Micro themselves. You have to basically dig some blog, or you need to seek some expert to help you understand what they are offering. I have never seen such a good product with such disastrous documentation.

Feature-wise, almost all vendors are providing the same features, but it is all about the integration. For example, Trend Micro is promoting their endpoint protection suite, but they never mention about the integration that they are offering with their EDR solution. They are treating each product as a separate island, and you don't know much about their integration. It would be good if they can focus on integration.

I have been selling Trend Micro products for three years.

Our customers are satisfied with the product in terms of stability and scalability.

In the local market, I don't see any Trend Micro technical guy supporting anywhere. I am not aware if they have a technical team in Saudi Arabia.

I work at the design level. I have never installed the product, but based on my understanding from our deployment team, it is pretty much easy to install. They find it very good and don't have any difficulty in the installation and configuration of this solution.

Its price is fine. Price-wise, it is competitive with any other vendor.

What other advice do I have?

In Saudi Arabia, we are only selling on-premises models. The customers mostly request for the on-premises model, not the cloud model, due to the regulation issues. As per government regulations, we cannot send our data to anything outside Saudi Arabia. That's why the possibility is only to use on-premises products.

Trend Micro Smart Protection is basically the number one endpoint protection platform that I propose to my customers. As a solution architect, I would recommend Trend Micro Smart Protection.

I would rate Trend Micro Smart Protection a nine out of ten. It just needs more integration and more explanation about the product.

Consultant at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
    MSP
    A comprehensive solution with DLP, device control, and other features, but it does have its challenges in terms of scalability
    • "It is their most comprehensive endpoint protection solution. It includes DLP and Office 365. It also includes device control and the rest of the little bells and whistles that the traditional AV vendors have."
    • "It is onsite. It does have its challenges in terms of scalability."

What is our primary use case?

It is an endpoint protection solution. It is now being phased out for Cloud One, but it is still being used by customers.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I'm expecting Smart Protection to be phased out, and for them to only use their cloud-enabled EDR. I expect it to become end-of-life in the next three years and then just the EDR will be available.

It is onsite. It does have its challenges in terms of scalability.

We have been providing this solution for a few years.

It is stable.

It is fairly scalable, but it is onsite. So, it does have its challenges in scalability. It is not like a cloud-native type of thing that you can just ramp up.

Its user count is quite big. I've got about 10 customers.

Their technical support is good. I would rate them a seven out of 10.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

The installation is fairly straightforward, but it also depends on how deep you want to go. If you want to do encryption of all the endpoints with it, then it becomes a bit more challenging because encryption on an endpoint is a challenge in itself. It's time-consuming, and it needs certain things to be done in the BIOS and so forth before the encryption works perfectly. Usually, it takes about half an hour per endpoint, and that includes troubleshooting the anomalies.

In terms of the people required for its implementation, it depends on how quickly you want to do it. It takes about half an hour per installation. What we usually do is that we've got a team of people who sit and do the installation and configuration. So, the initial installation and configuration take a bit of time, but after that, running it isn't time-consuming.

There is an annual subscription license on it. In the next release, there might be monthly payment options. So, people might be able to get it through AWS in the future, but right now for on-prem, it is annual.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it for people with budget constraints and smaller companies. I would not recommend it for what we consider as enterprise companies here in South Africa.

It is a good product. As compared to other endpoint protection products, I would rate it a six out of 10.

Nagendran Ponnan - PeerSpot reviewer
    DGM-IT at a construction company with 10,001+ employees
    Protection to guard against all types of threats
    • "Installation is easy."
    • "Recently our end users are feeling that their system resources are too occupied and slowed because of the Trend Micro agent - that the agent is doing lots and lots of background activities which include that Application Control, Advanced Threat Protection. We raised the complaint with them and are waiting for their technical support. The support could be faster for all the Trend Micro solutions."

What is our primary use case?

All the solutions we are using from Trend Micro are all on-prem solutions.

Trend Micro Smart Protection is for endpoint protection for business that can provide protection to guard against all types of threats.

We enabled all the modules with the Apex One Central. It contains Application Control and Advanced Threat Protection. Everything has been enabled and we are using it.

What needs improvement?

Recently our end users are feeling that their system resources are too occupied and slowed because of the Trend Micro agent - that the agent is doing lots and lots of background activities which include Application Control and Advanced Threat Protection. We raised the complaint with them and are waiting for their technical support. The support could be faster for all the Trend Micro solutions.

We use the port monitoring and ransomware protection things, and everything is running in background. Because of that, that CPU use is getting high. So the user cannot use that machine as much as they like for other applications. That's the issue we have recently been receiving.

I have been using Trend Micro Smart Protection for the past three years.

We procured a bundled product from Trend Micro which included Smart Protection, Deep Security, Apex Central, and IMSVA for email security.

Scalability all depends on our on-premise server. For example, if right now there are 1,500 users, if we increase the license count, we will need to increase the server resources also.

As to whether we are going to increase the usage for Smart Protection, that depends on the business requirement.

Tech support should be faster.

Installation is easy, but applying the rules for policies and things require a technical knowledge.

We used a consultant integrator.

In the forefront, only two people are required for implementation, but they are working with their backend team as well as the Trend Micro support. So it comes to around four to five people for deploying these solutions. That includes level one, two and three engineers.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Trend Micro Smart Protection as part of a core bundle.

On a scale one to ten, I would rate Trend Micro Smart Protection an eight.

BobenGeorge - PeerSpot reviewer
    Sr.Customer Engineer- Projects at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Good AI with an easy initial setup and good scalability

What is our primary use case?

We primarily implement this solution for customers.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers good implementation.

The AI is excellent.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

The solution can scale.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be more stable and secure.

We've been dealing with the product for a few years. We tend to use it from project to project. It's likely been about three or so years.

I can't speak to the stability of the solution that well. That's something a customer would know more about, as they would deal with it on a day-to-day basis. However, my understanding is that it could be a bit better.

The scalability potential is pretty high. I would rate it at an eight out of ten. If a company needs to scale it, it can do so.

I'm not sure of the exact number of customers on the solution at this time.

I don't deal with technical support. I don't have a clear idea of how they are in terms of the support they have on offer as I've never been in touch directly. However, it's my understanding that they are okay and there isn't really an aspect of technical support that needs to be improved.

The deployment is typically straightforward, however, it depends on the policies the company has to put in place. Other than that, it's not too much of a hassle. I cannot recall the exact amount of time it takes to deploy the product. There's typically a session and then discussions with the client before deployment even takes place, however, it's all part of the process.

As I wasn't part of any technical implementation, I cannot speak to how many individuals are part of an implementation.

What other advice do I have?

We're implementors.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. It's been pretty well received so far. The capabilities are quite good.

I'd recommend the solution to others.

Senior Executive at a leisure / travel company with 201-500 employees
    Good features with great performance and pretty good security
    • "The stability is good and I like the level of performance I can get."
    • "The web filtering could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for web filtering. It's useful for protecting personal information.

What is most valuable?

The stability is good and I like the level of performance I can get. It's not picking up a lot of the sources from the PC which makes it very light. It's policy-based, therefore, users have a different level of access to the internet and to the file servers.

The solution has many good features.

We don't have an issue with the level of security on offer.

What needs improvement?

The web filtering could be improved.

We just started using the solution a few months ago. It hasn't been that long just yet.

The solution is stable and the product isn't too heavy, which makes the performance good. It doesn't slow down machines. It doesn't crash or freeze either.

We have about 250 users on the solution. That includes remote workers as well.

I'm not sure if there are plans at this point to go and expand the solution or not.

While I'm not sure how the initial setup goes, I can say that for the end customer it is only a script, so it's less than a second to deploy. It's auto-pushed by the ADs, Active Directories.

We have three engineers that can handle deployment and maintenance tasks.

We have a license that is paid and renewed yearly.

What other advice do I have?

We're customers and end-users.

We're using the latest version of the solution. However, I do not know the version number off-hand.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten due to the fact that I don't really like the web filtering.

I'd recommend the solution to other users.

Software Engineer at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
    Good security with helpful notifications and great performance
    • "We do get notifications, which are helpful."
    • "I cannot recall noticing any missing features."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for security purposes. We have a Corporate IT who is dealing with the solution directly. My understanding is that they are using it only for a separate antivirus.

What is most valuable?

The performance is okay. It is a very good solution. Our Corporate IT team is able to apply some controls and restrictions which are quite effective.

We do get notifications, which are helpful.

The security is good, and so far, we have not had any breaches.

What needs improvement?

We haven't had any problems with the solution so far. I cannot recall noticing any missing features.

We have used the solution for years at this point.

The performance is okay and the solution is stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

I cannot really speak too authoritatively on the scalability, however, my understanding is that it is okay.

There are less than 100 users on the solution currently.

I've never been in touch with technical support. I cannot speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

I wasn't involved in the initial setup. My understanding is that the IT team only pushes it using SCCM. It was our IT team that did the implementation. It's a team of three.

I am not the one who is administering this antivirus solution. Therefore, I can't speak about the cost surrounding the product. While there is a cost, I do not know the exact amount.

What other advice do I have?

I'm an end-user of the product.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We've been happy with its capabilities over the years.

I would recommend the solution, as, so far, we haven't had any issues whatsoever.

Download our free Trend Micro Smart Protection Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: June 2022