IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Tenable.io Vulnerability Management OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Tenable.io Vulnerability Management is #8 ranked solution in top Vulnerability Management tools. PeerSpot users give Tenable.io Vulnerability Management an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. Tenable.io Vulnerability Management is most commonly compared to Tenable SC: Tenable.io Vulnerability Management vs Tenable SC. Tenable.io Vulnerability Management is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 64% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.
Tenable.io Vulnerability Management Buyer's Guide

Download the Tenable.io Vulnerability Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Tenable.io Vulnerability Management?

Tenable.io Vulnerability Management provides the most accurate information about all your assets and vulnerabilities in ever-changing environments. Available for cloud or on-prem deployment, Tenable.io features a streamlined interface, intuitive guidance, and seamless integrations that help security teams maximize efficiency. When visibility and insight matter most, Tenable.io helps you truly understand your Cyber Exposure.

Tenable.io Vulnerability Management Customers

Global Payments AU/NZ

Tenable.io Vulnerability Management Video

Tenable.io Vulnerability Management Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Tenable.io Vulnerability Management pricing:
  • "Tenable.io Vulnerability Management's pricing solution model isn't great."
  • "The solution is not too expensive."
  • Tenable.io Vulnerability Management Reviews

JimKootnekoff - PeerSpot reviewer
    President and CEO, Founder Executive at SecuSolutions Co., Ltd.
    Very mature and quite stable but could use a better user interface
    • "They are on a good trajectory as a company and investing in R&D in the right ways."
    • "The solution seems to focus too much on enterprises, and they really need a product that works for SMBs."

What is our primary use case?

Primarily we're a partner of Tenable and what we've done is we've essentially created a middleware. We created a middleware on top of Tenable.io engine, the API, and the middleware was developed back in 2003. It has gone through about three different iterations since then.

Essentially, we simplify their user interface. It's been designed so that the managed service providers, the MSPs, are able to use the Tenable system with our interface on top. In a sense, what we've done is dramatically dummied down the Tenable interface through the use of our own GUI. We connect to the Tenable API in the backend, however, they're doing the heavy lifting, so to speak, and we're just presenting the information in a much more logical, easily understood manner.

What is most valuable?

The API is pretty good.

The solution works well for enterprise-level organizations.

They're a standup product. They really are. They're one of the first in the industry which means they're a quite well-established site. It's pretty hard to improve upon.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

The stability is excellent.

The scalability is pretty good.

What needs improvement?

The solution seems to focus too much on enterprises, and they really need a product that works for SMBs. The enterprise product is too expensive for smaller companies, however, they really are looking for a product like this in the market.

It's too technologically advanced for SMBs - Tenable is kind of a little bit like flying a 747. There's a lot of bells and whistles and switches and things like that, that quite frankly are not used or not understood largely by the average user. If they don't begin to cater to smaller organizations, they'll likely lose market share.

They could use a better user interface that could be developed a lot better than it is. It really could be more intuitive.

I've used Tenable for 20 years or so. 18 to be exact. It's been a good amount of time. I have a lot of experience with the company.

Tenable.io Vulnerability Management
    July 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Tenable.io Vulnerability Management. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
    622,949 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The stability is excellent. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's one of the reasons we chose it. It's reliable and the performance is excellent.

Aside from their licensing, which needs some serious reworking, when you get the licensing in order the scaling is not that bad. It's pretty much on-par in terms of what others are doing. However, getting the provisioning of the licensing and all of that stuff through their partners, namely Ingram Micro, is nothing short of pulling teeth really.

I've never used technical support in the past. I've never had a need to. Therefore, I wouldn't be able to assess them. I can't say how knowledgeable or responsive they are.

We've only been with Nessus. Nessus Professional came out way back in the day, in 2002, 2003, there was WebInspect which was then, bought by IBM. We used WebInspect which was another iteration of vulnerability scanning. It's kind of like Burp Suite, which is commonly used now. That was our only other experience. That was very far back, it's almost another lifetime.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. We've got staff members that are certified for decades, two decades or more, and they know their way around quite easily. It's quite easy in that regard to set up.

In terms of the pricing side, I would say that they've lost a little touch on the pricing. It seems that the enterprise companies are the ones that primarily use Tenable for DIY security. However, the needs are much greater adoption in terms of the SMB space. These companies are screaming for attention. They've gotten interest from the hackers as hackers seem to be quite focused on the SMB space - which means they need protection. Most of the VA companies that are out there are servicing the enterprise and they all need the help. They've got the budget, they've got the resources, they have the CISSP certified guys on the bench taking care of their needs.

In terms of the volume of users interacting with the solution, you're looking at tens of thousands. As a service provider, we use the solution for companies of all sizes.

What other advice do I have?

We're a partner for Tenable Nessus.

The Tenable.io is what we're using currently. It suits our needs best due to the fact that it's in the cloud. The API is okay. It's not wonderful. Seems to serve a purpose.

The biggest problem with the solution is that if you're a small company, you're not going to be able to afford it, nor are you going to be able to manage it.

I would recommend other organizations use the product. People probably don't consider the amount of, let's say, understanding or comprehension that they need of their own network to truly be able to deploy and manage and get the results they're looking for, however. Many often underestimate all their skillsets. Tenable has a number of features and functionalities and it can be a little confusing for, let's say, a non-security savvy person. It could be a little bit of a challenge, to be honest. I'd suggest any company that considers it also does their homework first.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten. It gets the job done. It really is smooth to operate once it's set up. It is for the most part pretty easy to set and forget.

Private Cloud

Intake Specialist at Maxtec
    Reseller
    A powerful product that provides visibility across the entire tech surface and helps you to focus on the vulnerabilities that pose immediate risks
    • "Tenable.io, in particular, is quite a powerful product. It looks at your traditional environment, which is pretty much anything that is on-premises, and it also goes a step ahead and covers your modern assets, which is anything that is currently sitting in the cloud. You get complete visibility of your entire environment and tech operation. The ability to give you visibility across the entire tech surface is one of the biggest advantages that Tenable.io has."
    • "They've been able to think about everything in terms of where the world is going and the type of assets that you've got. They've everything sorted out in that aspect, but you have to pay for most of the other components that they've got to give you complete visibility across your tech surface. If it already had those capabilities in-built, without having to add them on to take advantage of them, it would be a very compelling value proposition."

What is our primary use case?

I work for a company called Maxtec, and we are a distributor. One of the solutions that we used to distribute, not anymore, is Tenable. I've worked as the product manager for Tenable, and it is one of the products on which I've worked quite extensively. We stopped its distribution last year, and I stopped working with it at the beginning of 2022. We were using its latest version.

How has it helped my organization?

One of the biggest cutting-edge technologies that they were able to introduce is predictive prioritization. It has helped a lot of IT teams enormously that were heavily under the weight of vulnerabilities that they needed to remediate. Just in 2019, over 19,000 vulnerabilities were discovered, and about 10,000 of those vulnerabilities were rated between high and critical. The way predictive prioritization works is that it adds a lot of context and granularity, and it helps you understand which vulnerabilities actually pose an immediate risk to your environment. It eliminates the pressure that the IT teams were under in terms of remediation because now, they don't have to focus on 10,000 vulnerabilities. They can only focus on 3% of vulnerabilities that pose an immediate risk to their environment. That, for me, has been a cutting-edge technology and a game-changer in helping a lot of IT teams in focusing more on the risk that they need to address, at least within the next 30 days.

What is most valuable?

Tenable.io, in particular, is quite a powerful product. It looks at your traditional environment, which is pretty much anything that is on-premises, and it also goes a step ahead and covers your modern assets, which is anything that is currently sitting in the cloud. You get complete visibility of your entire environment and tech operation. The ability to give you visibility across the entire tech surface is one of the biggest advantages that Tenable.io has.

The use of agents comes in very handy when a lot of the workforce is working from home, such as during COVID-19. Some of the traditional tools would not be able to monitor any of those devices that people would be working with, such as laptops, because they are remote. You can only audit their machines if they are on the business premises, but with Tenable.io agents, you can maintain that level of continuous monitoring, even if they are not on-premises at the time of the scan. The agents run the scans locally on the machine.

Tenable.io is a cloud-managed solution, but the scanners are sitting on-premises. They've also got some public cloud scanners that are sitting all over the world. They've got something called frictionless assessments, which is quite an interesting approach for vulnerability scanning of anything that is sitting in your AWS. You don't have to deploy the scanners. They've got sensors in there that are able to give you continuous monitoring without deploying scanners, doing any configurations, or inputting any credentials.

What needs improvement?

They've been able to think about everything in terms of where the world is going and the type of assets that you've got. They've everything sorted out in that aspect, but you have to pay for most of the other components that they've got to give you complete visibility across your tech surface. If it already had those capabilities in-built, without having to add them on to take advantage of them, it would be a very compelling value proposition.

Their support needs to be improved in terms of turnaround time.

It is stable.

It is a cloud solution. Therefore, it is highly scalable. There is no limit to how many assets and devices you can handle.

In terms of verticals, in the public sector, we've seen a huge uptake. That could be because of compliance reasons. We've also seen it being used quite extensively within the banking and financial verticals. Those are the biggest users of the product. There has also been an uptake in other verticals but just not as big or as vast as the public sector and the finance and banking sector.

One area that they could improve is technical support. Oftentimes, it's not as good as it should be. The turnaround time could be improved quite significantly.

It is pretty easy and straightforward. For the cloud, you don't have to do anything on the management console. That is already set up for you. The only thing that you need to configure is your scanners that are sitting on-premise. For that, you just need a linking key that you obtain from Tenable.io so that there is directional communication between the cloud, your cloud instance, and various scanners that are sitting on-premises. It would be the same process if you want to install an agent, for example, on a machine. It would apply the same way. The only difference is that instead of choosing a scanner, you'd choose an agent.

What other advice do I have?

For future users of Tenable.io, I would recommend using a layered approach. Tenable.io has an open API. So, it can be integrated with SIEM solutions. You can look at integrating it with privileged access management or any SIEM solution so that you've got all the data being pumped into a centralized location, and you are able to read the data alongside other security events coming from the SIEM and privileged access management solutions.

Companies that are currently using Tenable.io can definitely start looking at integrating some of their security solutions for a much more robust security approach.

I would rate it a solid eight out of ten.

Tenable.io Vulnerability Management
    July 2022
    622,949 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Ingeniero de proyectos de TI at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Stable with a straightforward setup and good scalability
    • "The initial setup is very straightforward."
    • "There needs to be better dashboard navigation."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for on-premises monitoring. We use it to monitor the servers in our organization.

How has it helped my organization?

For most of the updates, Windows updates, et cetera, the service will let us know when we shouldn't apply an update due to the fact that there's some missing code, for example. It gives us great insights into security risks.

What is most valuable?

The vulnerability scanning has been great as it's helped us to define some issues around the updates of some things, and some items surrounding services we need to take care of.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

The solution has been very stable and quite scalable.

What needs improvement?

The dashboard and the main panel could be better. It's lacking right now. Sometimes it's hard to find what you need in the menus. There needs to be better dashboard navigation.

There needs to be more curation of core knowledge.

The documentation was hard to find. It's not all in one place. It's kind-of all over. You have to work to seek it out.

I can't recall any features that are lacking. I can't think of any additions we'd like to see in the next release.

I've been using the solution for six months at this point. This has occurred within the last year. It hasn't been that long.

The stability is very good. I haven't had any issues with it. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The scalability of the solution is very good. If a company needs to expand it out, it can do so with relative ease.

We have a few network engineers that work with the solution directly.

I can't speak to any plans in terms of increasing usage. it's not something that we've discussed.

I've never directly dealt with technical support. I can't speak to how knowledgeable or responsive they are.

I've read a lot of documentation and whitepapers on the product. However, they were not concentrated in one place. I had issues teaching down details about the product.

We did previously use a different solution, however, we've found Tenable to be much better.

The initial setup is quite straightforward. It's not complex. It was very easy to create an account

The deployment itself only took one day. It was quite fast.

We have four people on staff that are knowledgeable enough to handle deployment and maintenance.

We handled everything ourselves. it was all online and very simple. We didn't need the assistance of a consultant or reseller.

I don't handle the licensing aspects of the solution. I'm not aware of the costs involved.

We potentially looked at Qualys and Rapid7 before ultimately choosing Tenable.

I cannot control the main difference.

What other advice do I have?

We're a partner.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using.

I'd recommend the solution to other companies.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten overall. We're mostly very happy with its capabilities.

Antonio Scola - PeerSpot reviewer
    Owner at SUNLIT TECHNOLOGIES
    Reseller
    An easy initial setup with responsive technical support and good stability
    • "The vulnerability scanning is the most important aspect of the solution for us."
    • "The pricing of the solution could be more reasonable."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for vulnerability scanning.

What is most valuable?

The vulnerability scanning is the most important aspect of the solution for us.

The initial setup is easy. It's pretty straightforward.

The stability is very good. We have appreciated the performance it offers.

Technical support is responsive. They help if you have issues.

What needs improvement?

The pricing of the solution could be more reasonable.

We've been working with the solution for many years. We have clients that have been using this solution for the last year.

The stability has been very good overall. It's reliable. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's good.

The solution is very highly scalable, and I don't have any complaints about that. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so fairly easily.

We typically deal with medium to large-sized organizations. Typically, there are thousands of users.

Technical support is okay. We don't have any complaints about their level of service. They are knowledgeable and responsive and we are able to get the information that we need when we need it.

The initial setup is not complex. It's pretty straightforward. A company that wants to implement it themselves shouldn't have any issues.

We sold Tenable.io Vulnerability Management, and the implementation has always gone smoothly. It's pretty seamless overall.

The entire deployment process takes anywhere from a week to ten days. It's not too long.

You only need two to three people to handle the implementation process.

The pricing is a bit high. It could be better.

It is my understanding that our clients did not evaluate other options before this product was suggested to them last year.

The two main competitors on the market are likely Qualys and Rapid7. I'm not familiar with the key differences of each solution, however.

What other advice do I have?

We are a reseller. We work with a lot of different Tenable.io products.

My only recommendation to other companies would be to put up a plan and follow the plan, point by point. Keep tracking of the result and make adjustments, if necessary. It's important to go in with a bit of a roadmap to follow. It will help ensure results.

In general, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We've been pretty happy with the solution overall.

Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Discovers quickly, very stable, and periodically updated, and but needs more integration

What is our primary use case?

It is useful for scanning the whole environment to check for any vulnerabilities. We can then start deploying or closing these vulnerabilities by applying the Windows or other product patches. In the end, we have an environment with no vulnerabilities, and we increase our security posture and security levels.

What is most valuable?

It is very stable, and it is updated periodically by adding new vulnerabilities. It can discover much quickly as compared to other vendors.

Its management console and portal make it easy to use and effective.

What needs improvement?

It can have more integration.

I have been using this solution for three months.

It is very stable.

It is scalable.

I haven't installed it on a customer's site. I just installed it in my lab in order to get familiar with the product, and that's it. It was just for testing.

It was a straightforward installation. Because it was done in my lab environment, it didn't take that much time. It took around three to four hours.

I did it myself.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution at this time, but after installing it for more customers, my answer might change in the future.

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

Prajot Nair - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Manager -Cloud Security at Capgemini
    Full-service solution that gives a good ROI

What is our primary use case?

Tenable.io Vulnerability Management is used as a unified platform for vulnerability management.

What needs improvement?

Tenable.io Vulnerability Management could be improved with an increased number of dashboards and MSSP integration.

I've been working with Tenable.io Vulnerability Management for five years.

Tenable.io Vulnerability Management is stable.

Tenable.io Vulnerability Management is scalable.

Tenable doesn't provide support beyond documentation.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

The initial setup is straightforward so long as your infrastructure, components, and networks are in place. There are also a few teaching issues post-migration, like integration with third parties and SEO integrations.

Tenable.io Vulnerability Management gives a good ROI in the long run, though it would be better with a pay-as-you-go model.

Tenable.io Vulnerability Management's pricing solution model isn't great. Providing a pay-as-you-go option would be an improvement.

What other advice do I have?

Tenable is a full-service product, but it still has a lot of improvements to make, so I'd recommend exploring other products before implementing it. I would give Tenable.io Vulnerability Management a rating of nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
    Pov Men - PeerSpot reviewer
    Network Security Engineer at np secure
    Reseller
    An inexpensive, stable solution for in-depth vulnerability scanning on the cloud, which is easy to setup and comes with good technical support

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is to perform in-depth vulnerability scans on the cloud.

What is most valuable?

The solution can integrate with third parties and meets standard compliance.

What needs improvement?

An area of improvement for this solution is being able to customize the dashboard. For example, the dashboard does not allow us to view a previous months vulnerability results alongside current results to make comparisons.

I have been using this solution for about two years.

The solution is very stable.

The customer service/technical support for the solution is very good.

The initial setup of the solution is not complicated and can easily be configured. Additionally, the solution comes with templates for assessing and auditing.

The solution is not too expensive.

Download our free Tenable.io Vulnerability Management Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: July 2022