IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Symantec Endpoint Encryption OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Symantec Endpoint Encryption is #2 ranked solution in top Endpoint Encryption tools. PeerSpot users give Symantec Endpoint Encryption an average rating of 8 out of 10. Symantec Endpoint Encryption is most commonly compared to Microsoft BitLocker: Symantec Endpoint Encryption vs Microsoft BitLocker. Symantec Endpoint Encryption is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 58% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.
Symantec Endpoint Encryption Buyer's Guide

Download the Symantec Endpoint Encryption Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Symantec Endpoint Encryption?
Symantec Drive Encryption, powered by PGP technology provides organizations with strong full-disk and removable media encryption and the ability to integrate with Symantec Data Loss Prevention. Intuitive management enables enterprise scale deployments and features compliance-based, out-of-the-box reporting plus customizable reports. Management capabilities include support for native OS encryption (FileVault2) and Opal compliant self-encrypting drives.

Symantec Endpoint Encryption was previously known as Symantec Drive Encryption.

Symantec Endpoint Encryption Customers
Citrix Systems Inc., City of Lansing, Commercial & Industrial Property, France T_l_visions, Fujian Mobile Co. Ltd., Group Lotus plc, Hall Booth Smith & Slover, P.C. (HBSS), Portugal Telecom, PostFinance, Public Pension Agency
Symantec Endpoint Encryption Video

Symantec Endpoint Encryption Reviews

Marbella Ibarra - PeerSpot reviewer
CEO at CT AMERICA
Reseller
Stable, secure, and works as per our expectations
  • "In general terms, it is working properly and according to our expectations. The comfort of feeling secure is the most valuable. Some customers had certain fears about changing the product because no one wants to lose any kind of information or to have some problems or inconsistencies while migrating from one product to another."
  • "There are some issues with the single sign-on with the active directory. We had a few problems related to the synchronization between the active directory and the login features of the Symantec products because the users made many password changes during the day. The time for synchronization with the solutions can be improved. I would like to see mobile encryption. There should be a possibility to include all the mobiles of a company in the console. Many customers are asking about encryptions for tablets or cell phones, but we don't have any product that we are comfortable with to recommend to our customers."

What is our primary use case?

Our customers are using this solution to protect their laptops, files, and email attachments. The typical requirements are to encrypt the whole hard disk, shared folders, or a network storage area. It is also used to deploy email encryption for some outgoing emails. We have been deploying all the versions that are available for our customers, and we are updating our knowledge year after year. We are deploying this solution on the cloud and on-premises depending on a customer's requirements. We have a few customers who are using on-premise implementations. A few customers have hybrid environments, and a few have decided to go straight to the cloud.

What is most valuable?

In general terms, it is working properly and according to our expectations. The comfort of feeling secure is the most valuable. Some customers had certain fears about changing the product because no one wants to lose any kind of information or to have some problems or inconsistencies while migrating from one product to another.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Symantec Endpoint Encryption for around ten years.
Symantec Endpoint Encryption
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about Symantec Endpoint Encryption. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
607,332 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Customers want to go for a solution that is easier to maintain from the infrastructure point of view as well as in terms of support. We don't have a lot of tickets for technical support for our technicians. So, it is a stable product.

We don't have any kind of problem with scalability. It has been really good for us. Our customers are small and medium businesses or SMB companies, and they didn't have any kind of problem. We're talking about 200 or 250 PCs or less. I don't know about its scalability for a large number of users.

When we open a ticket from the web page, it is really hard because they never answer.  When Symantec became Broadcom, we had some problems in getting technical support, especially because no one in Latin America had the possibility to give technical support. We had to call the United States support and receive technical support in English, which is harder for our technicians. Since then, we didn't have any need to create a ticket for technical support. I would rate them an eight out of ten.

We have experience with this solution. Therefore, our technicians can deploy it easily. In the beginning, when implemented it for our initial customers, it was easier. They were PGP at that time. When PGP became Symantec, it was a little hard because of the integration of the products with the Symantec suites. With Broadcom, it has been easy for us. We could work with almost any kind of change that we have received or found with the rebranding of the product. The deployment duration depends on the number of users that our customers have, but, typically, the server and the configuration of the policies take about one week. After that, we start to deploy it to all the clients, which takes three or four days. We need to wait for the hard disk encryption to be completed, which takes around four or six hours, depending on the information that the users have on the disk. It is usually fast.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to be aware of their requirements and about the complexity that they need to adopt. Sometimes people want to have all the information encrypted, but they are not clear about what encryption means. In the case of hard disk encryption, some users don't like to enter an additional password for encryption. They have to enter a password before Windows start, which many users don't like. Therefore, we have to bring some awareness to them and explain the necessity to have another point of control to open their hard disk. So, the main advice would be to be clear about what encryption means. I would rate Symantec Endpoint Encryption a nine out of ten.
CTO at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Great protection, perfect for large scale deployments, and low maintenance
  • "The solution is great for large-scale deployments."
  • "The solution does slow down the device a little bit, once it's installed."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for endpoint security.

What is most valuable?

Symantec Endpoint is good. We have been using it for more than five years and haven't had any trouble with it. It protects us without any issues.

In India, I am based out of Bangalore and my corporate office is in Lucknow, and we never had any compromises on the security site. Our firewall is very strong and all the devices are protected by Symantec. It does a really great job.

The solution is great for large-scale deployments.

The solution is pretty low maintenance and you rarely need the assistance of technical support.

What needs improvement?

The solution does slow down the device a little bit, once it's installed.

The Windows 10 comes with Defender. It has its own security layer. It's supposed to protect desktops and laptops running Windows 10. Right now, our question is, what is the additional protection we get from using any other antivirus or other packages on these machines? Symantec isn't really making it clear how they add to or enhance the level of protection we'd get from them if we kept them with Defender already on Windows 10.

We've been using the solution for five years.

The stability is good in the sense that we've never been compromised. It just runs in the background and is scanning. However, when scans do happen, it can slow down the machine. That's typical, and it only does it a little bit.

The solution is deployed on a large scale as we operate 1,000 locations in India and it's at all of them. You can't just protect the branch office, you need to protect every device in every office.

I've never needed to contact technical support.

The corporate office is in Lucknow, and I'm the technical director of a corporate group. I operate from Bangalore. I don't actually deal with the vendors or with the technical support team. My corporate team in Lucknow may be talking to some technical person at Symantec, however, I'm not aware of that. My responsibility is to advise someone on the technology side, so I heavily depend upon the reports and all that's available in public domain.

I'm not sure what was evaluated beforehand. However, we are evaluating other options currently.

In September, our Symantec license is expiring, so we are looking at if there's anything else in Symantec's product library that we should try or if there are any better options than we should consider. Currently, I'm trying to download some reports to compare Symantec with other solutions as part of some initial research.

We've looked at a few different solutions. We hear that end devices like laptops or desktops are a bit slow when you have Norton installed. AVG looks to have fewer resources although it looks to be a little bit quicker than Norton and doesn't bring your system speed down. Windows 10 also already comes with Defender, so protection would be built right in.

What other advice do I have?

We only use the solution on our own endpoints for our own company and don't necessarily deploy it for clients.

There are a lot of companies in India who are promoting these types of products. They may have quite a good idea about the packages and so on, what you can do, what you can't do and so on. Everyone seems well educated on it. It is not a very complicated solution. It's basically solid.

You don't need that much technical support. Whether it's Symantec or TrendMicro or AVG or any other package it's all pretty self-sustaining. You'll simply notice it when you have a compromise, at which point you get alerted and then you look at what went wrong. Until you are compromised, you're happy with the product.

I approve of Symantec Endpoint. I've been happy with the solution for the last four or five years. There have been no issues and we have not been compromised until now. I'd definitely recommend Symantec.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. It does tend to slow down a machine when it does the scan. However, I've noticed the same slow down on competition like Norton or AVG and it doesn't slow anything down near as much as Norton.

Symantec Endpoint Encryption
June 2022
607,332 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Project Engineer (Engineer II) at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable, but has a complex setup and it needs to offer seamless switching
  • "The solution is pretty stable."
  • "The initial setup is a bit complex."

What is most valuable?

I don't manage the solution. I don't manage the console and everything. However, password recovery is the best, the easiest part.

The solution is pretty stable.

What needs improvement?

If it could offer seamless upgrades to seamlessly do the switching that would be great. That's the pain point here now. The setup time takes quite a while sometimes. The encryption, once you install a new computer, takes a few hours to encrypt. From our testing, it feels like nothing is being restored, however, it's actually running in the background.

We'd like to switch from Symantec due to the fact that the switching part is a pain. If we want to switch our Windows it will be a pain to do that. We have thousands of machines. It would be a hassle if you have to switch every time to do that.

The initial setup is a bit complex.

I've worked with the solution for quite some time already. I was using it before I transferred to this current team. I'm not sure for how long it has been at this point. I've used it for some time already.

The stability seems to be okay. It works as it was designed to. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

I can't speak to the scalability. We have about 2,000 people on the solution currently, however, I cannot speak to the scaling process or if we have ever attempted to scale it. We likely won't increase usage.

In terms of technical support, we don't really engage with them. There are not many issues with it. It's just the Windows update that gives us issues. That's the only issue, the main issue. Other than that, there hasn't been a reason to engage with them directly and therefore I can't speak to their level of responsiveness or knowledgeability.

The Symantec setup is a bit complex. It takes time. It is simple, but it takes time. It also takes a bit longer when creating the profiles at first.

It is my understanding that we handled everything in-house. I do not recall using an integrator or consultant.

We pay on a yearly basis. The cost isn't much, however, if we switch to BitLocker there may be some cost savings there as well.

We are currently considering a switch to Bitlocker due to the issues we are facing with updates. It could potentially save us money as well. BitLocker has different types of cost charging depending on which model you choose. We are in the process of evaluation right now.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and end-user.

I'm not sure which version of the solution I'm using. It's not the latest one. I understand the latest one will be able to go page Windows - which we also partnered with. The problem is not all our machines are on the latest version. We are looking to see if we switch to the latest one. In a few years, Microsoft will likely change to a new version again. Then we will be having the same problem again.

It's best to align with Microsoft so that we do not have to do so many changes. Not catching up with Windows is also a risk currently due to the Microsoft Edge issue now. Without the latest Windows version, we cannot use the latest Edge version.

I'd rate the solution at a five out of ten overall. It works okay, however, the switching part and initial setup make it an undesirable option for us.

Project Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Can be managed from a central point and is stable
  • "I like the management aspect of this solution. You don't want to have end-users tweak or set it themselves, so the fact that you could do it from a central point helped us a lot."
  • "What I didn't find helpful in the version we used is the fact that all devices had to be on the same network for us to push through the encryption."

What is most valuable?

I like the management aspect of this solution. You don't want to have end-users tweak or set it themselves, so the fact that you could do it from a central point helped us a lot.

We really liked the vanilla flavor set up. It is stable as well.

What needs improvement?

What I didn't find helpful in the version we used is the fact that all devices had to be on the same network for us to push through the encryption. With lockdowns and people working from home nowadays because of the COVID-19 pandemic, there's no way to deploy a solution in that manner.

It should be easier to classify documents that should be encrypted, that is, to create policies for documents that should be encrypted. Maybe, it should be according to departments as well.

Customization should be a bit more granular because nowadays, things are very dynamic. Environments are very fluid. So, the policies should reflect that.

In terms of the policies you can apply, there should be a bit more granularity to it, and it should be something that you can turn on and turn off as needed.

I had used Symantec Endpoint Encryption for three months. We used the version before the last version.

It is a stable solution.

For me, the initial setup was intuitive, but then again, I'd had experience with deploying software for 10 years prior to that point.

Back then, deploying software was not like what it is today; it was much harder. You had to do a lot more customization. However, I have a lot experience, so I wouldn't have been phased by any issue I may have encountered.

What other advice do I have?

I'm in Nigeria, and we also serve Ghana, Sierra Leone, Kenya, and a bit of South Africa. Whenever you're deploying security solutions such as Symantec Endpoint Encryption, there has to be a lot more focus on sensitizing the people who are going to be affected.

We train the IT staff on how to manage it, but we don't train the end-users on what it involves and the advantages of the solution. We also don't inform them of the changes they may have to make in terms of their behavior, how they access data, how they use the data, etc. We need to let them know that it doesn't mean that they are completely secure. The biggest issue about security is human error. So, I think sensitizing the users should also go hand in hand with deployment.

I would rate Symantec Endpoint Encryption at eight on a scale from one to ten.

Faisal Mian - PeerSpot reviewer
CTO at ABM Info. tech
Stable and easy to use but is too expensive
  • "The installation process is pretty straightforward."
  • "They have too high of a price tag. That's why they're losing the market share."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for endpoint protection. It can help us protect our information.

What is most valuable?

The product is stable.

It's a scalable enough product.

The solution is easy to use. We use it quite a lot - and not just Endpoint Encryption - we use a lot of their solutions.

The installation process is pretty straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The only challenge which I see is that they are no longer the major market player. They have too high of a price tag. That's why they're losing the market share.

Technical support needs to be better. They need more skilled techs and they need to be faster at responding.

We've been using the solution since 2003.

The stability of the product is very good. There are no bugs or glitches. it doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

We have three or four clients on the solution currently.

We have 40,000 Symantec endpoints in all of our banks.

Previously, once the ticket is open and assigned, it was very good. However, now, based on the transition to Symantec, there's a lapse that brings a bad name to the product. It's not as good as it used to be. They likely use some market share between the bad customer service and the high pricing.

In Pakistan, they do not handle the troubleshooting directly. It's contracted out. If you do finally reach a proper engineer from Broadcom, they tend to know what they are doing and can help. However, it takes a long time to get a proper engineer.

The installation is pretty straightforward, especially for an engineer. It's a process that just flows. It's pretty easy whether it's deployed on-premises or in the cloud.

The licensing is pretty high. They need to fix it so that they are more competitive.

The customer needs to pay the cost of the license on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of encryption, we do deployments in the region on behalf of Symantec. We have Symantec DLP for almost 20,000 plus users. We have the messaging gateway from Symantec and we have SSL certification and issue verification from Symantec. We also have Blue Coat from Symantec, which we keep selling to our clients.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Amit-Gawade - PeerSpot reviewer
Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It doesn't hamper the performance and is well integrated with Symantec Messaging Gateway and Symantec DLP
  • "Disk encryption and file and folder encryption are the most valuable and used features. It is also very well integrated with Symantec Messaging Gateway and Symantec DLP, which is helpful in protecting any kind of information that goes outside. Symantec DLP catches an email and sends it to the encryption server. The encryption server encrypts the email and intimates to the user that confidential information is being sent out. The administrator can then take appropriate action."
  • "Its remote deployment should be improved. Currently, there is no remote deployment for Symantec Endpoint Encryption. You have to install it manually. There are some issues with AD integration and the time taken to reflect a password on the Endpoint Encryption Manager when a new user has changed the password, but they are already working on these issues, and these will be resolved in the next release."

What is our primary use case?

We use it on laptops and desktops. We use it for email, file and folder, and command-line encryption depending upon the customer's needs.

We are a service provider for Symantec products. We also use it in our company. We have around 50 to 60 users.

What is most valuable?

Disk encryption and file and folder encryption are the most valuable and used features.

It is also very well integrated with Symantec Messaging Gateway and Symantec DLP, which is helpful in protecting any kind of information that goes outside. Symantec DLP catches an email and sends it to the encryption server. The encryption server encrypts the email and intimates to the user that confidential information is being sent out. The administrator can then take appropriate action.

What needs improvement?

Its remote deployment should be improved. Currently, there is no remote deployment for Symantec Endpoint Encryption. You have to install it manually.

There are some issues with AD integration and the time taken to reflect a password on the Endpoint Encryption Manager when a new user has changed the password, but they are already working on these issues, and these will be resolved in the next release.

I have been working with this solution for 14 years.

Currently, their support is less and slow. If I open any case, it is handled after two or three days, but their support will improve in the next two or three months.

The initial setup is straightforward. The deployment duration depends on your hard drive. It can take 5 to 10 minutes, half a day, or one day depending on the size of the hard drive. For 80 GB of data, it will take 7 to 8 hours depending on the hard drive and the RPM of the hard drive. For an SSD, it will take less time to encrypt the data.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution. I have seen a lot of endpoint encryption products, and Symantec is the best because it doesn't hamper the performance of the machine. If you use McAfee, it hampers the performance of the machine.

I would rate Symantec Endpoint Encryption an eight out of ten. Right now, there is an issue going on with their support. That's why I'm not giving it a ten out of ten.

Forensic Technology Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Seamless encryption with good stability and offers the ability to scale
  • "We have been very satisfied with the solution's security capabilities."
  • "From an administration point of view, maybe it would be ideal to have it centrally managed."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for encryption. It encrypts drives. It protects drives. The information pertaining to the drive is secured.

What is most valuable?

We have been very satisfied with the solution's security capabilities.

The stability is good.

The product scales very well.

The encryption is pretty seamless.

What needs improvement?

The primary objective is to encrypt drives. It's doing a good job. I cannot recall coming across any missing features.

From an administration point of view, maybe it would be ideal to have it centrally managed.

I used the solution more in my previous role, and probably have about four or five years of experience with the product.

The solution has been stable. It does not crash or freeze. It's reliable. There are no bugs or glitches.

The product can scale if a company needs to expand it. It's not a problem.

We have around 3,500 users on the solution currently.

I've never directly dealt with technical support. I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

There wasn't really an implementation process. It's pre-loaded on our Golden Image. It was in with the Windows 10 addition. We didn't have to do anything really.

The product was part of an enterprise solution. Therefore, the pricing was tucked in as part of other Symantec products. It was part of a bundle procurement. There was an antivirus, endpoint encryption, and a whole lot of other Symantec products bundled together.

My understanding is that everything was under a yearly subscription, however, I can't speak to the exact price of the bundle.

What other advice do I have?

Up until last year, I was using the latest version of the solution.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

I would recommend the solution to other users and organizations.

Assistant System Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Enables us to easily get updates and other encrypted files
  • "You get updates and other encrypted files easily."
  • "More features need to be included in the encryption software."

What is our primary use case?

We are currently working with companies in the financial sector which is why we are using this on-premises solution, because their compliance policies do not allow for cloud-based servers. Our clients are using the full encryptions. They're using Symantec Endpoint Encryption to secure their data. If someone loses their laptop, for example, they can wipe their disk and save their data from ending up with a third party.

What is most valuable?

I like all the features in Symantec Endpoint because they provide four or five features for end-users. They have three consoles for managing the data. Symantec also provides the licensing with the software. There is no need to enter the licensing or install files manually because it's bundled with the software. This is a good feature. Also, you get updates and other encrypted files easily. I also like the manage keys.

There is no need to add any features, because they are developing their own encryption methods.

What needs improvement?

Currently, all the software has been managed by BitLocker, but Windows does not suit every encryption management software.

There are many apps that do that kind of thing. All the features are there so I don't think that needs to be on encryption software. I'm working with some end point management software and they are managing the software and connections, what can be installed and what is restricted, etc... But more features need to be included in the encryption software.

I have been using Symantec Endpoint Encryption for one year.

Their scalability is good. They are using three consoles and have full-consoling end point users for our solutions.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten I would rate Symantec Endpoint an eight.

Download our free Symantec Endpoint Encryption Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: June 2022