Symantec Endpoint Detection and Response OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Symantec Endpoint Detection and Response is the #15 ranked solution in EDR tools. PeerSpot users give Symantec Endpoint Detection and Response an average rating of 7.6 out of 10. Symantec Endpoint Detection and Response is most commonly compared to Microsoft Defender for Endpoint: Symantec Endpoint Detection and Response vs Microsoft Defender for Endpoint. Symantec Endpoint Detection and Response is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 65% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.

Download the EDR (Endpoint Detection and Response) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Symantec Endpoint Detection and Response?

Quickly discover and resolve threats with deep endpoint visibility and superior detection analytics, reducing mean time to remediation.
Overcome cyber security skills shortages and streamline SOC operations with extensive automation and built-in integrations for sandboxing, SIEM, and orchestration.
Fortify security teams with the unmatched expertise and global scale of Symantec Managed Endpoint Detection and Response services.
Roll out Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR) across Windows, macOS, and Linux devices using Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP)-integrated EDR or a dissolvable agent.

Symantec Endpoint Detection and Response Video

Archived Symantec Endpoint Detection and Response Reviews (more than two years old)

Kishan Kendre - PeerSpot reviewer
Project Manager at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
Threat protection that is priced well, easy to deploy, and allows you to use the same agent for detection and response
  • "The most valuable feature is that the same agent can act as the endpoint detection and response agent."
  • "Reporting is a major issue, as it is not user friendly."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for protection.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that the same agent can act as the endpoint detection and response agent. You don't need to deploy an additional agent. As you do with other solutions.

If you try to deploy a new solution you have to replace the existing agent with a new agent, but with Symantec, you can use the same agent.

What needs improvement?

Reporting is a major issue, as it is not user friendly. It's the biggest challenge we are facing. I have raised this issue multiple times.

With virus detection, if one OEM vendor is detecting the virus at 1:10 am, within 24 hours all others will detect it. For example, Symantec will detect the virus, then McAfee will detect it then Trend Micro, all within 24 hours, everyone will have it covered.

In the next release, I would like to see the option to customize the report as per our needs, and better reporting in general.

I have worked with all Symantec products. Detection and response is a new technology that they have come up with and I have been working with it for two years.

EDR (Endpoint Detection and Response)
November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, Microsoft, Trellix and others in EDR (Endpoint Detection and Response). Updated: November 2022.
653,584 professionals have used our research since 2012.

If the solution is updated regularly then there is no challenge with stability.

This solution is definitely scalable.

The technical support is very bad. It's been outsourced. The level one support does not have the expertise to support people properly, from a technical perspective.

I'd say that the level of understanding has been reduced as a result of outsourcing to a third party.

Previously, I was working with Trend Micro. Before the detection and response were included, I would have recommended Trend Micro. However, Symantec Endpoint has now taken the lead.

Endpoint detection and response have not been developed into Trend Micro.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's not complex. You will have to license it, then you are good to go.

If you try to establish the replication then you should plan it properly. If you do proper planning then it manages well. As an example, with one of my customers, I updated 3,000 machines that were in remote sites in less than a month's time.

The price is okay, but it really depends on the customer's requirements.

What other advice do I have?

I am a user of Symantec as well as an admin with the Symantec support team. I was the technical support account manager and I would support other customers.

Symantec release updates two or three times per day. If you have a low bandwidth it will never get updated, although there are options to resolve this.

First, you have to decide on your requirements and what features you are looking for, then you can consider any endpoint detection and response solution.

There are good products on the market; there is one in particular that is cloud-based, where you don't need a single investment, but you will need to have good bandwidth.

Before looking for any solutions the planning must be done.

Overall, this is a good product but it is still in the early stages and there are some improvements that need to be made.

Hybrid Cloud
Security Engineer at Suraksha
IPS and user interface are great; includes deception technology component as part of SEP
  • "IPS and the user interface are good features."
  • "The network forensics feature could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

In the past, we deployed for Government organizations and right now we are dealing with a financial institution that is considering implementing Symantec. We primarily work in the Middle East and Australia. We are Symantec partners and implement the solution for our clients. I'm a security engineer.

What is most valuable?

I like the IPS , GIN and the user interface, they are good features and simple to use. In addition to that, I believe that Symantec is the only vendor that actually includes the deception technology component as part of SEP.

What needs improvement?

I think the network forensics feature could be improved. It's not part of SEP, but it's part of the package and I think that could be improved because we need the decryptor. Without  that you can't actually decrypt the SSL traffic going in the network. If the solution could be completely software-based, it would be a formidable product.

Symantec could include that as an additional feature, it's something that other solutions provide. Secondly, instead of just making it endpoint deception, they could make it network deception as well and that would make it a complete endpoint protection solution.

I've been using this solution for the last 12 months.

The stability of the solution is fine.

We haven't had any issues with scalability. Three months ago we put in a bid where they initially wanted 300 users, but then decided they wanted to scale up to 7,000 users. Symantec had no problem with that. It just requires preparation by taking into account the increased number of endpoints.

Technical support is very good.

We used McAfee and Trend-Micro previously, but we didn't get many good reviews for the product. Once we switched to Symantec, the market responded well so we switched to pushing that. We depend a lot on market feedback and after speaking to a lot of cyber experts in the information security field, they said they wanted Symantec. It's pretty much based on market feedback.

Deploying on-prem makes Symantec a very expensive product but if it's being deployed on cloud it's quite cheap. We lost a lot of bids when we proposed on-prem deployment because of the high cost.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend Symantec because the company provides great support from its engineers. Whenever we've had any issues, we give them a call and 10 or 20 minutes later, they make contact. They're also very good at helping us quote for tenders and they negotiate well.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

EDR (Endpoint Detection and Response)
November 2022
653,584 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Managing Director with 1-10 employees
Easy to use and constantly updated
  • "The interface is quite easy to use."
  • "The Symantec portfolio is not big enough to cover the organization in all 360 degrees."

What is our primary use case?

We are in the healthcare industry and we use this product for our endpoint security.

It is primarily for DLP, protecting us against data leakage via malware and virus attacks.

What is most valuable?

The interface is quite easy to use.

The knowledge and signature database is continuously updated.

What needs improvement?

The Symantec portfolio is not big enough to cover the organization in all 360 degrees.

We have been using Symantec Endpoint Detection and Response for almost three years.

We have had no issues in terms of stability.

Scalability has not been a problem for us.

We currently have multiple vendors that make up our security solution, although this is our only endpoint protection product.

We are satisfied with the pricing.

We are looking for an orchestrated solution, where we can have all of the vendors operating under one umbrella. For example, Symantec is a good endpoint solution, but if we also need a perimeter solution then it is not covered.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I think that this product runs quite smoothly and I definitely can recommend it. Anybody who implements it should not have any problem.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Manjit Singh - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Information Security Engineer at Herbalife
Dashboard shows new and unknown threats in the environment but support isn't so responsive
  • "The most valuable features are that it is easy to connect and global settings are good."
  • "That's why I wouldn't recommend it for other systems. It works only with SAP clients. That's why I'm giving it a six. It would get higher if it worked on all networks without the help of SAP."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are that:

• It is easy to connect
  • Global settings are good

What needs improvement?

I don't see much room for improvement. I am not an analyst for this product. I just manage this product for an analyst. I like the dashboard, it has lots of information like threats and we can see activity on the dashboard. It shows new and unknown threats in the environment. This feature is very good for EDR monitoring and management.

We have been using Symantec EDR for the last year. We also have Symantec Endpoint Protection

We are facing our own issues that we are checking to see if it's secure. We are working on this with support but they are not able to fix that now. We haven't had any issues regarding the features. It works perfectly.

Scalability is good.

We have contacted technical support multiple times. They are good but not excellent. We had a few issues and it took them a long time to respond.

We did the POC within one week and the entire deployment took one month.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product if you have a lot of SAP solutions.

I would rate it a six out of ten. Not a 10 because it works on version 14 but SAP clients have some issues and EDR is different on SAP. That's why I wouldn't recommend it for other systems. It works only with SAP clients. That's why I'm giving it a six. It would get higher if it worked on all networks without the help of SAP.

Download our free EDR (Endpoint Detection and Response) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, Microsoft, Trellix, and more!
Updated: November 2022