IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

StorMagic SvSAN OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

StorMagic SvSAN is #11 ranked solution in top Software Defined Storage (SDS) tools and #17 ranked solution in HCI Software. PeerSpot users give StorMagic SvSAN an average rating of 8 out of 10. StorMagic SvSAN is most commonly compared to StarWind Virtual SAN: StorMagic SvSAN vs StarWind Virtual SAN. StorMagic SvSAN is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 55% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 27% of all views.

Download the Software Defined Storage (SDS) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is StorMagic SvSAN?

StorMagic SvSAN simplifies storage at the edge. It is a virtual SAN, virtualizing the internal storage of two servers and creating an active-active mirror that ensures an exact copy of data resides on both servers at any time. Needing just two nodes in each cluster, using any x86 server, any CPU and any storage combination, SvSAN gives you the flexibility to deploy lightweight, low cost highly available storage as you wish.

A single, incredibly lightweight witness provides quorum to as many as 1000 SvSAN clusters and they can all be deployed and managed from a central location. Stretch your SvSAN clusters across entire cities for added resiliency. Deploy on VMware vSphere, Microsoft Hyper-V or Linux KVM hypervisors and avoid vendor lock-in. Leverage sophisticated caching algorithms when superior performance is required. If security is a priority, implement StorSecure - SvSAN's integrated encryption and key management feature. And if redundancy is a concern, deploy three nodes per cluster to withstand two node failures and still keep your applications online.

StorMagic SvSAN was previously known as StorMagic .

StorMagic SvSAN Customers

E.ON, Bayer, NHS, Keiser Corp., TDK, Oxford University, Amsterdam Airport Schiphol, Bridgestone, Argos, UnitedHealthcare, Harris Corp.

StorMagic SvSAN Video

StorMagic SvSAN Pricing Advice

What users are saying about StorMagic SvSAN pricing:
  • "The pricing of StorMagic SvSAN is fairly good because if you compare it with VMware, it's at a better price. This is an important thing to remember."
  • "It's fairly cheap when compared to other options. But it can be improved as some features may not be available in the standard license. The vendor positions it as an edge product, so it isn't suitable to compare with VMware vSAN or Nutanix because that's another product altogether."
  • "The licensing cost is $7,000 per two nodes for two terabytes."
  • StorMagic SvSAN Reviews

Vebjorn Nergaard - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior IT Engineer at Guard Automation AS
    Effective redundancy, good interface, and responsive support
    • "StorMagic SvSAN is a very effective solution and the interface is good."
    • "The deployment of StorMagic SvSAN is very small. However, you need some time to do it. It's important to make a test deployment before the real deployment."

What is our primary use case?

I am using StorMagic SvSAN in a biogas plant for industrial automation systems.

What is most valuable?

StorMagic SvSAN is a very effective solution and the interface is good.

I have been using StorMagic SvSAN for six months.

I have found StorMagic SvSAN to be stable and have good redundancy. The stability of StorMagic SvSAN has proven to be very stable. In the period we've been running the solution it's been working well and the redundancy has been flawless. This is where you turn off one server the other one is functional without the other.
    Software Defined Storage (SDS)
    June 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about StorMagic, StarWind, DataCore and others in Software Defined Storage (SDS). Updated: June 2022.
    610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.

StorMagic SvSAN is a highly scalably solution. To have scalability in StorMagic SvSAN you have to set the license for different steps. The licenses you can purchase are for two, four, six, et cetera terabytes. If you want to scale up the terabytes you expand with hard drives and change the license. There's no problem with scaling. We have approximately 40 people using this solution. The solution runs in the background and they would not know they are using it but they are.

I am satisfied with the support. I found it simple to receive the resources I needed from them. When you contact the help desk, you receive a quick response.

The deployment of StorMagic SvSAN is very small. However, you need some time to do it. It's important to make a test deployment before the real deployment.

The pricing of StorMagic SvSAN is fairly good because if you compare it with VMware, it's at a better price. This is an important thing to remember. We use the solution in a close network. We would like the possibility to activate the solution offline. At this time there is no offline activation, this would be appreciated. The price of the solution is good is very good. Two terabytes are approximately 1,000 euros per node.

I have evaluated HPE StoreVirtual, VmWare vSAN and Starwind Virtual SAN (vSAN) is very similar to it.

What other advice do I have?

We had some issues with StorMagic SvSAN because it is deployed on Microsoft Hyper-V, not VMware. In this Microsoft Hyper-V, there were some problems with servers in 2019. This was a part of the operating system that had a special update. It's a little complicated but it was fixed in the end. The problem was that when we had the issue, we did not realize what the problem was. We managed to address this issue and they found a workaround. The problem has been solved. I would recommend this solution to others. I rate StorMagic SvSAN a nine out of ten.

Owner at a computer software company with 1-10 employees
    Reseller
    A software-defined storage solution with a useful synchronization feature
    • "This synchronization is easy with StorMagic, and we can establish availability between servers."
    • "The only improvement area I can see is their licensing. For example, the memory caching feature is only available in an advanced license. Normally, it's in a standard license. It would be better if they had memory caching features in the product. Some backup features should also be in the product"

What is our primary use case?

We use StorMagic SvSAN in two hotels. The hotel needed redundant servers, and we installed two servers on each site with StorMagic. We use it for server availability. We used it with VMware, and we synchronize disks with StorMagic and VMware disks as common storage on both servers.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The only improvement area I can see is their licensing. For example, the memory caching feature is only available in an advanced license. Normally, it's in a standard license. It would be better if they had memory caching features in the product. Some backup features should also be in the product.

I have been using StorMagic SvSAN for a couple of months.

It's very stable and uses very low process and memory resources. It works well.

It's scalable for edge products. Because on the edge, you can use a maximum of three servers. If you use many servers, you should use data center products like VMware vSAN or Nutanix. For edge, it's very scalable because, with three servers, you can have about 100 virtual machines in the area. It's more than enough for edge situations.

I have contacted StorMagic sales representatives and technical consultants before installation. They are very helpful, and they know the product and the configurations very well. They helped with the trial installations and post-setup review. I more than appreciate StorMagic's technical support.

I have experience with data center products, but that was before StorMagic. I was looking for a cheap edge product that was suitable for two servers. One of my colleagues suggested StorMagic, and it's our gig now.

The initial setup and installation are very easy with StorMagic because StorMagic has a VMware vCenter plugin. When you install the plugin, it's easy to deploy StorMagic appliances and configure all of them.

We implemented this solution by ourselves.

It's fairly cheap when compared to other options. But it can be improved as some features may not be available in the standard license. The vendor positions it as an edge product, so it isn't suitable to compare with VMware vSAN or Nutanix because that's another product altogether.

What other advice do I have?

I would generally recommend this product to potential users.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give StorMagic SvSAN a nine.

Private Cloud
    Software Defined Storage (SDS)
    June 2022
    610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    SANJAY HASIJA - PeerSpot reviewer
    Founder at FieldFeet
    Helps ensure business continuity and gives zero downtime
    • "It gives zero downtime and it works with two nodes rather than three nodes, unlike other solutions."
    • "There are two features missing: there's no REST API functionality, and there is no date duplication in it."

What is our primary use case?

This is being used as an ERP solution. There are 600 retail showrooms that are accessing the application for online billing, so we can't afford any downtime. It basically helps us ensure that there is business continuity. There is no billing, which is stopped while the retail is going on. In the past, we've had some downtime, so this solution is helping us.

We are using the latest version, which is 6.3. The solution is deployed on-premises. There's no cloud version.

What is most valuable?

We went for this solution for two reasons. The first reason is because it was an ERP solution and it was cost effective for a two terabyte requirement. The second reason is because it gives zero downtime and it works with two nodes rather than three nodes, unlike other solutions.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see multiple nodes. I'd like to see snapshots added to it. There are two features missing: there's no REST API functionality, and there is no date duplication in it.

I have been using this solution for two years.

It's pretty stable so far. There haven't been any complaints.

It's not a scalable product. It's meant for a small organization.

Technical support is pretty good.

We were using a replication solution, which wasn't a virtual SAN. It wasn't software defined storage. It was more like a replication solution, which is replicating one server to the other. In case the server fails, the other works. Then there was a downtime of two or three minutes, so it wasn't strong enough to give zero downtime.

Installation was straightforward. Only one person is necessary to manage the solution.

We used an integrator.

The licensing cost is $7,000 per two nodes for two terabytes.

There are additional costs. Auto-tiering is a separate cost. Encryption is a separate cost. That could range from $1,500 for two nodes, to $5,000.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 7 out of 10.

My advice is that if you're looking at a two node kind of deployment or looking at edge deployment, it could be a good solution.

The sales team is a little difficult to deal with. It's not a very transparent organization, so they're very rigid on certain things.

Download our free Software Defined Storage (SDS) Report and find out what your peers are saying about StorMagic, StarWind, DataCore, and more!
    Updated: June 2022