SonicWall TZ OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SonicWall TZ is the #13 ranked solution in best firewalls. PeerSpot users give SonicWall TZ an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. SonicWall TZ is most commonly compared to Fortinet FortiGate: SonicWall TZ vs Fortinet FortiGate. SonicWall TZ is popular among the small business segment, accounting for 43% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 18% of all views.
SonicWall TZ Buyer's Guide

Download the SonicWall TZ Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is SonicWall TZ?
The secure, sophisticated SonicWALL TZ is widely deployed at small businesses, retail, government, remote sites and branch offices. It combines high-performance intrusion prevention, malware blocking, content/URL filtering and application control.

SonicWall TZ was previously known as Dell SonicWALL TZ.

SonicWall TZ Customers
AeroM_xico Delta TechOps, Unimat
SonicWall TZ Video

SonicWall TZ Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SonicWall TZ pricing:
  • "The licensing scheme of SonicWall TZ is cost-effective. It's an affordable product, but some competitors, e.g. Sophos and Fortinet offer more competitive pricing."
  • "You need to purchase multiple licenses to manage multiple devices which is cost-prohibitive for the value you would receive."
  • "It comes to a range between five hundred to seven hundred dollars."
  • "It has a yearly subscription."
  • SonicWall TZ Reviews

Pre Sales Security at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Reseller
    Multifeatured firewall solution with a user-friendly interface, high availability, scalability, and stability
    • "User-friendly firewall solution which scales well, is stable, and has high availability."
    • "Support for SonicWall TZ needs improvement, particularly the time it takes before you're able to speak to a support person, e.g. you have to wait for at least 30 minutes on the phone."

What is our primary use case?

Our customers use SonicWall TZ for network security and also for connectivity, e.g. when our customer is a company with HQ and branches, and they want to secure their branches the way they secure their HQ, we recommend SonicWall TZ so we're able to protect both the users in the HQ and the users in the branches. We also use this solution to optimize the bandwidth that they have by configuring SD-WAN services.

Another use case for this product is when using switches, e.g. when people want to connect their IP phones, their access points, and their access control devices, we recommend the switches and utilize SonicWall TZ, but mostly this firewall solution is for network security monitoring, analytics, and reporting.

How has it helped my organization?

SonicWall TZ has a number of benefits to customers.

One benefit is the visibility of the network and activities that are happening on the network, which enables customers to improve on their policies. For example, if a  customer sees that YouTube is consuming a lot of bandwidth, they can revise the policies and allocate less bandwidth to YouTube, then give more bandwidth to business critical applications.

Another benefit of this solution is that it's able to bring a lot of visibility to things that are hidden from a normal IT person's view, so now that these things are visible, users are able to make quick decisions. For example, there was an organization that was complaining that they have less bandwidth, so we implemented the firewall and noticed that whatever they were getting, they needed to add more, before they're able to add more bandwidth from their ISP.

The simplicity of SonicWall TZ is also one of the things I like about it.

What is most valuable?

I found many features in SonicWall TZ that are valuable. The NSM (Network Security Manager) is great when you have more than one firewall, e.g. two, three, five, etc., because it's a central place where you can configure the firewalls.

Even for users who only have one firewall, SonicWall TZ is great, because it's very easy to use. It's user-friendly. I have used other firewalls, and I've worked with Fortinet and Palo Alto, and if I compare their user interface with SonicWall TZ, this solution has an interface that's so much easier to use.

In this product, configuring the policies and everything else that needs to be configured is straightforward. You don't have to move through multiple pages and tabs. It's easy to configure and use.

The analytics feature of SonicWall TZ is also good, because users are able to see information on bandwidth utilization, including applications that are traversing the network.

I also like the Capture ATP (advanced threat protection) feature of this solution, because it shows the unknown files that have been detected in the network, how they were scanned, and what the results are. It's a very good feature.

I like the licensing scheme of SonicWall TZ. If you have high availability requirements, you don't need to buy two licenses. You just buy one. This is cost-effective for the customers. I also like the secure upgrade promotion, e.g. If you have an existing firewall from Cisco, Fortinet, or another competitor, SonicWall will give you a two-year license for the price of a one-year license.

SonicWall TZ has good features that I can really position to my customers, and that's how we're able to win new business.

I also like the form factor uniqueness of this product. You can use it even in an office with 10, 15 people. That's very great. That's a day one capability, and it's not licensed, e.g. it's something you can get out-of-the-box. I also believe that SonicWall TZ 570 and 670 series can accommodate SFP (small form-factor pluggable), and I find that very unique.

SonicWall TZ also has high availability, so it's a perfect solution.

What needs improvement?

Support for SonicWall TZ needs improvement, particularly the time it takes before you're able to speak to a support person, e.g. you have to wait for at least 30 minutes on the phone, and this needs to be improved.

This is an affordable solution, but a competitor like Sophos can give SonicWall a run for their money. Sophos and Fortinet are major competitors of SonicWall, and the way they package their solutions, especially Sophos, they're cheaper, so for some customers who aren't technical, they will just run to these competitors because they're cheaper. However, once you explain to the customer that this is the situation, mostly we're able to win the business for SonicWall.

An additional feature I'd like to see in the next release of SonicWall TZ is enhanced automation.

SonicWall TZ
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about SonicWall TZ. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    655,113 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've worked with SonicWall TZ since 2019. I've been working with it for three years now.

I didn't have any issues with SonicWall TZ in terms of stability. I started working with SonicWall in 2019, and all the customers I sold this to, not a single device has failed, apart from one customer who had a failure in Ethiopia last year, but that customer bought the device for quite some time, e.g. in 2018 or 2019, so that one had been onsite. I've not heard of any breakage apart from that one, so this product is stable.

SonicWall TZ is scalable. I just have one customer here who is suffering because of issues with sizing and scoping initially, but from what I've seen, this solution is scalable. It scales well.

I was able to contact the SonicWall technical support team a few times, but before I was able to talk to a support person, I had to stay on the line for almost 30 minutes, sometimes even longer than 30 minutes. This is something that they need to improve.

The initial setup for this solution was very straightforward. I don't have an issue with setting up SonicWall TZ.

I find the licensing scheme of SonicWall TZ cost-effective for customers. SonicWall also has a secure upgrade promotion that lets you enjoy a two-year license for the price of a one-year license, if you have an existing firewall from competitors, e.g. Cisco, Fortinet, etc.

I was able to evaluate Fortinet FortiGate briefly. I also evaluated Palo Alto.

What other advice do I have?

I've used Fortinet FortiGate briefly. SonicWall TZ is what I'm using at the moment. We are an authorized distributor of SonicWall, so we sell SonicWall products, including SonicWall TZ, to resellers and partners.

We deal with the latest versions of this solution: the gen 7 series and the gen 7 NSa series. These are what we've been selling to most of our customers.

We have not been able to sell SonicWall TZ on cloud. We have received requests for quotes, particularly for cloud deployment, but what we were able to sell were on-premises deployment, e.g. physical devices.

Deployment of this product usually takes less than a day, but it really depends with the setup, with the network. We recently had one that took two days, but it's usually just less than a day.

We sell SonicWall TZ to different companies. One company has 10 users. Another company has a hundred users. There's another company with 500 users. We sell to partners, and that's our main job. The partners sell to the customer, so you'll find one partner has five customers, another partner has two customers, etc. We are just not covering Kenya. We cover east Africa all the way up to Congo, Ethiopia, Djibouti, and Eritrea. We cover all those areas.

What I usually tell people who are looking into implementing this product is that it's the easiest to use among the many firewalls I've seen.

I have not been disappointed with SonicWall TZ, so I'm giving it an eight out of ten, not a perfect score, because there's still room for improvement.

Owner\Operator with 1-10 employees
    Reseller
    Easy to use with a simple initial setup and very helpful technical support
    • "I've found the technical support to be helpful."
    • "I would like the solution to build in more redundancy. I"

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a firewall. It's pretty much for content filtering and protection between points.

What is most valuable?

The solution works very well.

They seem to be protecting themselves, or, at least, I assume they are, when they ask you to go online to enable the device.

The solution is easy to use. The actual setup is pretty easy.

I've found the technical support to be helpful. With all of the specifics, whether it's VPN stuff or the Analyzer products, et cetera, I'll always call for help.

I'm very comfortable with the product. I know enough to really get to where I need to be and then to get it right. For my customers, I can call and get help if I need to, and it's nice to have that option, however, I'm really quite comfortable overall with its functionality.

What needs improvement?

There was one complaint I always had in the past. Years ago, you always had to enable the device. You had to go online to enable the device. You had to connect and do that. That was always a thing in my mind: "Well, why do I have to do that? Why do I have to go outside of my network just to do that?" Now, it seems to be less of an issue. However, that's been something that has frustrated me. It's not fixed. It's still the same. It's just something I live with now. I wish you didn't have to go off your network to connect.

I would like the solution to build in more redundancy. I would hope that doesn't come with a price increase, however, it would make the solution that much better.

I've been using the solution for ten years at this point. It's been about a decade, therefore I'm comfortable saying that I've worked with it for a long time.

The solution is largely stable. The one thing I did notice was their VPN connectivity. It hadn't been upgraded for a long time - maybe even years. Whether they were doing stuff with it, I don't know. I just noticed this past last year, they came out with a new VPN client. However, before that, it was a long time. They seem to have sorted it now. I don't know if that means they'll go another extended period without updating again or not.

I haven't grown out of one before, and therefore I haven't really had to scale. In terms of their throughput, we got close on one once. The thing is, if I call an inside connection, he'll get me in touch with his inside tech, which is different from tech support and they'll do some numbers. What my throughput is, the bandwidth I actually have, what I'm working with, et cetera. I seem to be always under. I'm really not in the hundreds of users. It's typically under 100. I work with smaller organizations, and there isn't much need to scale.

I've dealt with technical support in the past. They've been good. I'm satisfied with eh level of support they provide. It's one of the selling points for me. I like to have products with good technical support capabilities.

Most of them were really sharp. I call with some questions sometimes, or I just want to set up a VPN between the buildings or something real quick and I just want to make sure I've got it right. They're just really great at assisting me. I'll say, "Look, am I missing anything?" And they'll look through and say, "This is good, but change this." Their tech support's been excellent. I'd give them a ten out of ten for sure.

I've worked with Symantec and Cisco. I haven't dealt with any Cisco in a few years. I did some Cisco and started to learn how to do certain tasks. I haven't really done much with them as my clients are a bit smaller. Cisco is an awesome product. They are likely the best on the market. However, as I recall, they don't really have a GUI and my clients don't need the size.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It's nice and easy. A person or company shouldn't have any issues with the setup.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a reseller.

I tend to use the latest version of the solution. I go with whatever's happening. I'll upgrade when necessary when they go end of life.

Although it is my understanding that they also have a cloud option, I tend to prefer on-premises deployments. If I need something, I will call my SonicWall rep.

I'd recommend new users try them. They have very good service and they're easy to use.

I'd rate them ten out of ten simply for the fact that I really haven't had any issues with them at all.

SonicWall TZ
    November 2022
    655,113 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Eric Barba - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Systems Analyst at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Offers the right amount of control very simply; great integration and ease of management
    • "Offers the right amount of control without being incredibly convoluted and frustrating."
    • "Sonic Analyzer could be improved. It's difficult to manage and not very intuitive."

What is our primary use case?

In some cases SonicWall is used to outfit a company, replacing existing infrastructure and getting site-to-site VPN set up for easier management. It provides ease of use for VPN setups. We are customers of SonicWall and I'm a senior system analyst.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution offers the right amount of control without being incredibly convoluted and frustrating, or without being too dumbed down where you don't have options to do certain things. It's very to the point with the controls and simplifies things for us. It's great value for money.

What is most valuable?

The solution has a lot of robust options and it's easy to use. NSM is a good feature, a single pane of glass security center where you can monitor SonicWall for different clients and troubleshoot without it requiring individual access. The product has good integration with their SMA solution, which we deployed for one of our financial firms, and we've also provided a remote access solution for people with PCs at home who want secure access. It offers good content filtering.

What needs improvement?

I would probably say their GSM or their Sonic Analyzer could be improved. I have always found it difficult to manage and not very intuitive. I'd like to have better visibility of what each endpoint is doing. That's something Meraki has that is very easy to use.

I've been using this solution for over seven years.

The solution is stable. We're an MSP, so if our clients have any dated hardware, we'll make a plan to switch to SonicWall, otherwise there can be issues with the internet or configuration where we can't get in and troubleshoot. We need to know we can get into the firewalls and make sure that they're online, as opposed to having to schedule someone to come in and deal with the basic physical connections or troubleshoot.

The scalability is very good because if you know how to work the base model, the old solution or the TZ 105, all the way up to the NSAs, they just scale up in terms of features and functionality and you don't change a whole lot. They have good terminology that sticks throughout, so if you work with one, you can work with them all. It means upgrading and scaling is very easy. We manage about 1300 users or so across about 100 different clients. For the most part, maybe 80% of them are on SonicWall, and we try to push that just because it makes our lives a lot easier.

We don't use the technical support very often, but the last call I had with them, everything was resolved within the hour. I spent more time on hold than I did with the person. It was 15 minutes on hold, for 10 minutes to resolve the issue. Otherwise, it's great.

The initial setup was very straightforward. Deployment time depends on the client but if we're starting from scratch, you can have it updated and deployed within an afternoon without issue. We have our own techs with experience who can get things set up to the best of our ability. Implementation takes one person who knows what they're doing, but we have a team that can help out and troubleshoot if we run into issues.

I'm not sure of licensing costs, but the price point isn't bad. In addition, you need to buy the hardware. There is also a standard support license, and they offer an advanced security gateway with other intrusion detection, prevention, content filtering, etc. There are some additional options we usually go with, but things like content filtering are hit and miss, and depend on what the client wants.

I've tried Meraki, but their price points are ridiculous and feature functionality is somewhat lacking. After Dell sold SonicWall, things improved a lot, and they've come a long way. There were some things about Meraki that I liked such as endpoint visibility. You can see the list of connected devices and apply a policy. You can get very low network so that bandwidth is not eaten up if someone is watching Netflix all day but they can still receive emails. Those kinds of things are what's missing in SonicWall. I've never been able to do something like that easily on the firewall side. Unfortunately, the cost of Meraki is really prohibitive. We tried a few other solutions and they just didn't pan out. If you want a good firewall, you have to pay thousands of dollars for what SonicWall does in a way that's easier to manage.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend trying the product, it's not too difficult, whether it's the setup or the cost. If you're looking for a really low-cost solution, you'll probably end up using something like pfSense which doesn't really compare to SonicWall. There are probably better solutions out there, but there are things that SonicWall does better, it just depends on your budget.

I rate the solution eight out of 10.

Senior Member Of Technical Staff at Flexera
    Reliable solution with low-latency and low-bandwidth utilization
    • "With the main firewall routing there, we can do connectivity point-to-point. On the low bandwidth we can connect in all the branches with my corporate office."
    • "In terms of what needs to be improved, I would say better load balancing and data filtering."

What is our primary use case?

It is cloud-based. I am managing it from my HQ to centralize all the branches connected with it, point-to point. I'm using the SonicWall for the gateway. Certainly I'm using it for DLP and antivirus logging, and we are using SonicWall firewall for the mail filtering. Also, we can use SonicWall firewall just like on SD-WAN. We can manage all our branches through that central point from their patches.

How has it helped my organization?

We have a centralized firewall here and it will take some bandwidth just like a broadband connection, but with low bandwidth or mobility connection. Through that, we can connect from the HQ to all our branches on those devices, through that particular antennae. All the data transmitted from the corporate office to branch offices works smoothly on the low bandwidth.

What is most valuable?

Because it is a software-developed feature in SonicWall, we just maintain the main firewall. With the main firewall routing there, we can do connectivity point-to-point. On the low bandwidth we can connect to all the branches from my corporate office.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what needs to be improved, I would say better load balancing and data filtering. This way we have low utilization of the net from the corporate office to all the branches. This is the connectivity there. The traffic from the HQ to all the branches goes on the low latency so that connectivity is continuous and not dropped.

In the next release it should have both the failure and load balancing combined on there. Whenever there is a failure and whenever they are load balancing, it should auto-generate the traffic for any connectivity on there, so it will run smoothly. It should also generate the alert.

I have been using SonicWall TZ for the last 10 years. We're using the SD-WAN solution from SonicWall.

This solution is quite stable.

Scalability is more than fine.

We have around 500 users with connectivity on it.

We do have plans to increase usage.

Technical support is good, there is no issue.

I am comfortable with them all: SonicWall, Check Point, Palo Alto, Sophos. Right now, I'm using the Sophos 225 and 125 in my offices and have a XG 862 in all the branches connected from there. I work on that firewall installation and also the NetScaler on the Citrix. That's simply fundamental. There are some differences with the connectivity and ruling. The rule tab is the same.

I work on their Azure AD platform and also Exchange. On the Exchange, I am working on the O365.

I am also using Trend Micro, Symantec, and McAfee.

This technology comes with these different platforms and you go on the previous one from a couple years ago. The SD-WAN-only technology is not that common. It costs more from US, Canada and from that area of connectivity. It will drop the packet from there.

It has an easy setup. You can centralize all the connectivity. This OS is running with each and everything, and you can monitor it all from the centralized point.

I also give the support for Exchange, but this will take low bandwidth and low latency from any mobile connectivity, any internet, any low-bandwidth connectivity and work fine. But other products like McAfee and Symantec can support the Exchange.

It can take time for the synchronization of updating the devices. This depends on how many devices we have connecting from the portal and which devices they are working on. Sometimes, you have the scanning on there. So it will take that functionality and we can define for root causes on the other things. We can define according to policy. So this depends on the policy design. It also depends on that criteria.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to 10, I would give SonicWall TZ a nine.

President at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Reseller
    Effective unified threat management, stable, and intuitive setup
    • "The most valuable features are unified threat management which provides security intelligence and the VPN for both site-to-site and remote access."
    • "In an upcoming release, SonicWall could improve by adding cloud management for all devices for free or at a nominal cost. Currently, they have a cloud management platform but is not free. We have the MySonicWall portal for purchasing from them for software updates and renewals."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use SonicWall TZ as an internet gateway for a lot of our small to medium-sized clients' sites.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are unified threat management which provides security intelligence and the VPN for both site-to-site and remote access.

What needs improvement?

We are not receiving the rated throughput that the solution claims. We have noticed our client's internet bandwidth has increased but we are not receiving the throughput that the device is sized for. For example, if I have a device that is rated to handle 400 megabits of throughput, we are not receiving that speed. We are receiving significantly less than that in some cases, this needs to be improved. I do not know if this is still the case with the latest generation of SonicWall's, but we have sixth-generation SonicWall's in use and we are not receiving the rated bandwidth.

We have built a host secondary DNS directly on the firewall. For example, If you have a small business environment where you only have one server or you have a remote office location where you do not have any servers, you could use a VPN back to the main office and rely on the internal DNS server. However, you will have no redundancy for DNS. There are two choices, we can either use a public DNS service, which is a mistake because it will not know where the information is on the local network. The active directory is not going to work properly if the resources you want cannot be found. You end up picking between two poor options. You either have no redundancy for DNS or you have redundant DNS where one of them is not the best quality. The whole industry is lacking an alternative. I would like to be able to host a secondary DNS on a firewall appliance, many people need this feature.

In an upcoming release, SonicWall could improve by adding cloud management for all devices for free or at a nominal cost. Currently, they have a cloud management platform but is not free. We have the MySonicWall portal for purchasing from them for software updates and renewals.

I have been using SonicWall TZ for approximately 14 years.

SonicWall TZ is very stable. We rarely have to reboot the platform.

We have not needed to scale the solution very much, our clients are typically small to medium business environments where we do not need the scalability. However, The scalability could improve because there is not a centralized device manager.

The technical support is good. However, there is a language barrier because their support is based out of India and you cannot always understand the agent that you are speaking with. Sometimes support is outstanding, and other times you do not have the level of technical expertise that you need.

The solution is easy to do the setup and is intuitive.

To implement and do the maintenance of SonicWall TZ we do not need a dedicated team.

You need to purchase multiple licenses to manage multiple devices which is cost-prohibitive for the value you would receive.

What other advice do I have?

I rate SonicWall TZ an eight out of ten.

Enrique PerezAfonso - PeerSpot reviewer
    Business cybersecurity Specialist at Forlopd
    Modern and clear interface for ease of use at all scales
    • "The feature with SonicWall that I have found most valuable is that all the models have the same interface. We don't need to learn different interfaces in the smaller or bigger models."
    • "You need to be a certificate holder to set it up and configure it. It's really important because it looks easy, but it is complex. You need to have the knowledge and experience. But this is normal for technical products. It's not a product for regular user. It's for technical people. You need to have skills."

What is our primary use case?

Our use case is that our email and CRM are in the cloud but the rest of the solution is here on our old server on premise. That includes file sharing and internal programs, too. We have some kind of replication of the cloud on premise to use in case of problems.

What is most valuable?

The feature with SonicWall that I have found most valuable is that all the models have the same interface. We don't need to learn different interfaces in the smaller or bigger models. The other thing is the actualization and upgrade politic are really strong, really good, very high quality. Lastly, the performance and the price are excellent.

I am really happy with the product. The new interface is really modern and really clear. The 7th generation is a really big improvement.

It has a very good design.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved. That is a very good question. Maybe the price could be lower. That is the only thing. Otherwise, it is really a very good product with really good performance. The only thing is maybe to lower the price a little bit - but it's not a complaint. I don't have complaints with SonicWall.

SonicWall is really a very complete product.

I have been using SonicWall TZ for five or six years.

SoinciWall TZ is really very stable.

Their scalability is wonderful. SonicWall has a migration table and it's easy to migrate the configuration of a small model to medium or all types. It's really easy. No problem. I have done this a few times and each time was perfect.

We have almost 100 users.

One person is enough for doing maintenance on SonicWall.

We do have plans to increase usage to more or less 10 or 20% more users next year.

The support is excellent

Previous to being introduced to SonicWall, I used Softforce.

The initial deployment is easy. Even in the case when a client has a particularly exotic configuration - the support is quick, fast, and very professional.

How long the deployment takes depends. Normally, the delays are the fault of the misinformation we receive from a client. Or misunderstanding the information the client provided us before we did the setup of the firewall. Normally it's not a problem with SonicWall.

We pay yearly or bi-yearly. Normally we offer the license for two or three years. But it's common to buy the license year by year.

What other advice do I have?

My only recommendation is that you need to be a certificate holder to set it up and configure it. It's really important because it looks easy, but it is complex. You need to have the knowledge and experience. But this is normal for technical products. It is not a product for the regular user. It's for technical people. You need to have skills.

As a customer and a reseller, we feel they are doing a really good job.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give SonictWall TZ obviously a 10.

Hybrid Cloud
    Sahil  Darji - PeerSpot reviewer
    Network Security Engineer at Khimji Ramdas
    Reseller
    Highly acceptable on a small scale, straightforward out the box installation, with a good price point
    • "The most common feature in the firewall, apart from that traditional firewall, would be the security services, like application control, URL filtering, Gateway Anti-Virus, and IPS protection. These are the essential features in the firewalls which I think, has to be enabled and properly used at every network infrastructure."
    • "If the operation increases and the bandwidth consumption increases, it does not perform as per the expectations."

What is our primary use case?

For protection, we follow the market standard. We configure the security policies, then the routing, starting routers, and then add policies, and configure the zones. Then we configure the application filtering, URL filtering, and all the security services which include Gateway Anti-Virus, IPS, then Botnet Filtering, and antispam.

What is most valuable?

The most common feature in the firewall, apart from that traditional firewall, would be the security services, like application control, URL filtering, Gateway Anti-Virus, and IPS protection. These are the essential features in the firewalls which I think, has to be enabled and properly used at every network infrastructure.

What needs improvement?

Though it is not as powerful and as good as the Palo Alto, Check Point, and Juniper firewalls, it is a small firewall and it is actually, highly acceptable for SMB customers where there is not much outflow of internet traffic and users are less in number. They can update or enhance the application signatures. They have that Capture ATP option, which is the sandboxing option there. Other than that, they can enhance the application signature, because, in SonicWall, the signatures of the application are not up-to-date. It is not a big database compared to Palo Alto, or Fortinet. It is slow and it takes time.

If you have created zones it automatically creates the access policy for allowing traffic from one zone to another zone. Similarly, if you create a site-to-site tunnel or a remote tunnel, in that case, it will automatically stage the access policy. However, there are options to disable that auto-creation, but if you compare this with the other firewalls, other firewalls don't have that. This is basically one thing that SonicWall TZ can work on so that an unnecessary access policy doesn't get generated in the firewall.

I have been working with SonicWall TZ for the past two and a half years.

It is stable. If there is less operation, it is stable. But if you have fifty to one hundred users, in that case, and if the operation increases, it is not stable. It will give a delay in some packet requests.

It is scalable. If the operation is less, it is scalable. But if the operation increases and the bandwidth consumption increases, it does not perform as per the expectations.

Technical support is very good.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

It is straightforward. It is out-of-the-box and anyone can configure it. The deployment takes less than one day. Basically, while they were deploying this TZ Series firewall, we didn't face any issues. But there are some old customers who had some issues with the IPs they had to set on from remote offices to the HO. In that case, we did that troubleshooting. Other than that, we didn't face any issues.

It comes to a range between five hundred to seven hundred dollars. The Fortinet firewalls range from five hundred to one thousand dollars.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate SonicWall TZ a seven out of ten.

Product Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Reseller
    Simple and stable with good capability to block the threats, but needs better marketing and branding
    • "Its user interface and simplicity are the most favorite parts for our clients. They find it stable and easy to use. Its performance is also good."
    • "The marketing of SonicWall has to be increased. Currently, when it comes to firewalls, most people go for Cisco and Palo Alto. SonicWall should improve its marketing and branding policies to increase sales. Other than that, it is good."

What is our primary use case?

We work based on a client's requirements. We don't maintain any segmentation information. We sell all types of solutions from SonicWall, such as their next-generation firewall, cloud solutions, and switching and routing solutions.

Deployment is based on a client's requirements. If a client gives us the requirement for the cloud, then we do the cloud deployment.

What is most valuable?

Our clients feel comfortable using SonicWall. It has all the facilities to block the threats.

What needs improvement?

The marketing of SonicWall has to be increased. Currently, when it comes to firewalls, most people go for Cisco and Palo Alto. SonicWall should improve its marketing and branding policies to increase sales. Other than that, it is good.

We have been selling this solution for about two years.

It is stable.

It is scalable. The entry-level companies are taking TZ 300, TZ 400, and TZ 600 from us, and they have 100 to 150 users. The bigger companies ask for the next-generation firewall such as NSA 2650 and NSA 3650.

We have about 50 customers who are using SonicWall. They include government organizations and corporates. We have lots of clients who have already taken SonicWall. They have the license, support, and subscription for two years.

They are good enough.

We are selling solutions for most of the brands such as Cisco, Sophos, SonicWall, Fortinet, and Palo Alto. For email security, we are selling Barracuda. For those clients who have the financial capability, we recommend Palo Alto.

The deployment duration depends on the transportation. If the installation site is far from our office, it takes time to transport it. In terms of installation, if a client's site is ready to deploy the firewall, then we don't need much time. We can do it instantly.

Sometimes, the licensing part can take some time. If someone wants a renewal, it can take some time to complete the procedure and receive the license via email, but it is bearable and not the problem.

For the setup, we have a good team, and there is no problem. We have five people in our technical team. We also get help from SonicWall's England team.

It has a yearly subscription.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. In every sector, SonicWall is doing good. Our clients do not have any complaints. They feel comfortable using it. It has all the facilities to block the threats, and it is quite good.

SonicWall is able to provide a solution for the requirements of our clients. Only because of the lack of marketing and branding, SonicWall is not able to reach customer premises, and that's the reason why its sale is not much.

I would rate SonicWall TZ a seven out of 10.

Download our free SonicWall TZ Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022