Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

SonicWall SMA OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SonicWall SMA is #2 ranked solution in top Universal Access Gateways, #5 ranked solution in top SSL VPN tools, and #14 ranked solution in top Enterprise Infrastructure VPN tools. PeerSpot users give SonicWall SMA an average rating of 7.6 out of 10. SonicWall SMA is most commonly compared to SonicWall Netextender: SonicWall SMA vs SonicWall Netextender. SonicWall SMA is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 46% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.
SonicWall SMA Buyer's Guide

Download the SonicWall SMA Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2022

What is SonicWall SMA?
SonicWall SMA is a unified secure access gateway that enables organizations to provide anytime, anywhere and any device access to mission critical corporate resources. SMA's granular access control policy engine, context aware device authorization, application level VPN and advanced authentication with single sign-on empowers organizations to embrace BYOD and mobility in a hybrid IT environment.

SonicWall SMA was previously known as SonicWall Aventail, SonicWall SMA SSL-VPN, SonicWall Secure Mobile Access.

SonicWall SMA Customers
UnitedStack, Newport City Homes, Faith Lutheran College Redlands, PRIME aerostructures GmbH, Celtic Manor Resort
SonicWall SMA Video

SonicWall SMA Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SonicWall SMA pricing:
"This solution is priced well and we currently have the maximum number of licenses allowed."

SonicWall SMA Reviews

General Manager at Antea Consulting
Reseller
Has a good relationship between features and pricing, as it's both affordable and functional
  • "What I like best about SonicWall SMA is the relationship between its features and its price, because the solution is both affordable and functional."
  • "The only thing that they could try to improve is the support for enterprise customers. Normally enterprises and SMBs can create a ticket, but for enterprises, SonicWall SMA needs to provide a global view, and this is what's currently missing. It's not even a question of timing. It's a question of the global vision because currently, it's lacking. They concentrate on the topic, but not on the means and not on the global picture. In most cases, there's something wrong with the integration of SonicWall SMA with other products, so that could also be improved."

What is our primary use case?

The main use case for SonicWall SMA is remote access.

What is most valuable?

What I like best about SonicWall SMA is the relationship between its features and its price, because the solution is both affordable and functional.

What needs improvement?

My company uses SonicWall SMA mainly in distributed networks, and for that purpose, the product is okay, so I don't see any room for improvement in the product itself. SonicWall SMA is okay.

The only thing that they could try to improve is the support for enterprise customers. Normally enterprises and SMBs can create a ticket, but for enterprises, SonicWall SMA needs to provide a global view, and this is what's currently missing. It's not even a question of timing. It's a question of the global vision because currently, it's lacking. They concentrate on the topic, but not on the means and not on the global picture. In most cases, there's something wrong with the integration of SonicWall SMA with other products, so that could also be improved.

SonicWall SMA has two different types: one for SMBs and one for enterprises, so they fit and cover the whole spectrum very well. It can fit any organization and can fit any purpose. The product is full of features and can cover the full spectrum very well, so I don't see any key feature that's missing that could be included in its next release.

My company started working with SonicWall in the year 2000, so it's been twenty two years.

Citrix Gateway vs. SonicWall SMA
August 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Citrix Gateway vs. SonicWall SMA and other solutions. Updated: August 2022.
635,162 professionals have used our research since 2012.

SonicWall SMA is a stable product.

SonicWall SMA is very scalable, in general. It's very well implemented, and it's very simple to scale the number of users from one hundred to five hundred, but scaling up would affect the licensing cost.

For my company, the initial setup and implementation of SonicWall SMA are easy because of working with SonicWall for a long time, and because my team has a lot of experience with the solution. If the customer chooses to do the setup and implementation himself, it won't be as easy. If it's just basic integration, it can be very simple, but if it's something more sophisticated, you need to be a real expert to set up and implement SonicWall SMA. I'm scoring the basic setup of the solution a four out of five.

What other advice do I have?

My company deals with, proposes, and implements to customers all the SonicWall solutions: SonicWall TZ, SonicWall NSa, and SonicWall SMA. My company is a reseller of SonicWall.

In terms of the differences between SonicWall SMA and other solutions, this is a very mature market, and there are not so many differences, but what can be perceived are the differences between open-source and commercial solutions, mainly because you have the manufacturer taking care of the evolution of the product. Otherwise, you need to be very close to an expert to be able to evolve your installation, but between different commercial solutions, frankly speaking, there are not so many differences.

Choosing SonicWall SMA over other solutions is a question of having more knowledge about the solution. For my company, the difference is the experience, for example, when my company proposes SonicWall SMA to a customer, that customer knows that my company will do a very good job. He knows that he'll get a very solid installation, not only because of SonicWall SMA, but because of my team, so it's a mix of the solution and my company's experience.

SonicWall SMA is a product I would recommend to others, for example, to use as a VPN solution.

I'm rating SonicWall SMA an eight out of ten. I would change my rating to a nine or a ten if they improved their company vision and their support.

Darshil Sanghvi - PeerSpot reviewer
Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Reseller
Integrates well, feature rich, and reliable
  • "Secure Mobile Access (SMA) is easy to configure and the deployment is straightforward. However, this is mostly because of the AWS setup."
  • "The solution has 2FA, it will generate a token and send it to an email, but multifactor authentication is not available. I would suggest that there should be MFA integration and provided with the appliance."

What is our primary use case?

Since the pandemic began, we have started using SonicWall to allow users to work from home.

What is most valuable?

We have found the most valuable features to be:

• Secure Mobile Access (SMA) is easy to configure and the deployment is straightforward. However, this is mostly because of the AWS setup

• Easy to use

• Simple to manage

• Integrated with NSa

What needs improvement?

The solution has 2FA, it will generate a token and send it to an email, but multifactor authentication is not available. I would suggest that there should be MFA integration and provided with the appliance.

I have to manage the SMA separately, there should be centralized management and reporting features.

I have been using this solution within the last 12 months.

The solution is stable and very reliable.

Since the solution is on the cloud the scalability should not be an issue.

We have approximately 200 people using this solution in my organization. We do not have more than 180 users connected at one time.

The technical support was responsive.

The initial setup was easy.

We had a team from SonicWall help us with the implementation of the solution.

This solution is priced well and we currently have the maximum number of licenses allowed.

We did evaluate other solutions before we chose this one.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is this solution is reliable, feature-rich, and reasonable-priced. If they want to have an SSL VPN solution, then SonicWall SMA is probably a good choice. It is has a two-factor authentication already in-built, and it will help you connect your mobile users without any issues. It has the capability of connecting all your devices, such as laptops, Linux systems, and MacBooks.

I rate SonicWall SMA an eight out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Citrix Gateway vs. SonicWall SMA
August 2022
635,162 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Pawel Najsarek - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Support Engineer at Ingram Micro Sp. z o.o.
Reseller
Flexible, easy to use, and simple to set up
  • "The performance is good."
  • "I'd like to see the product maybe polish keyboards in Bookmark."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution when I connect to LDP or MyLab. That's all.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very stable. The performance is good.

The program is easy to use.

The Bookmark functionality is good.

It is easy to set everything up.

The product is extremely flexible.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see the product maybe polish keyboards in Bookmark.

I've been using the solution for four years at this point. It's been a while.

The stability is very good and it offers good performance. There are no bugs or glitches. t doesn't crash or freeze.

We have a small staff of about ten people, however, we have customers on this solution. Many use it.

Technical support is very good. We are quite satisfied with the solution's support overall.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It's not complicated.

The deployment is fast and only takes about one day.

I deployed the solution myself and I've also helped customers deploy it. We did not need to get a consultant's help.

I cannot speak to the exact pricing of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

We are using either the latest version or the previous version of the solution.

I'm a reseller as well as a partner.

I'd recommend the solution to other users and companies as it is very flexible and it's dedicated to VPNs.

I'd rate the solution at ten out of ten.

Other
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Customer
Maheshbabu T - PeerSpot reviewer
Project Manager at CGG
It allows us to provide CML-based access to any user, but the reporting could be better
  • "SonicWall SMA allows us to provide CML-based access to any user."
  • "SonicWall's reporting isn't good. Reports should be part of a data plan. The login mechanism should be improved. It would be helpful if the client could use an agent to log in. An agent-server model would improve the performance of the RDB, which consumes a lot of bandwidth."

What is our primary use case?

We use SonicWall SMA to provide VPN. Our use is limited right now. We only have 200 users.

What is most valuable?

SonicWall SMA allows us to provide CML-based access to any user.

What needs improvement?

SonicWall's reporting isn't good. Reports should be part of a data plan. The login mechanism should be improved. It would be helpful if the client could use an agent to log in. An agent-server model would improve the performance of the RDB, which consumes a lot of bandwidth.

We've been using SonicWall SMA for between two and three years.

SonicWall is reliable.

Scaling up SonicWall is easy because it's a virtual solution.

I rate SonicWall support eight out of 10. It's good.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

SonicWall SMA isn't complex. I rate it eight out of 10 for ease of setup. The more features a solution has, the more complex it is. Any administrator can do it.

The price is in the middle range.

What other advice do I have?

I rate SonicWall SMA seven out of 10. If you're planning to implement this solution, I suggest checking the version to ensure it's compatible with your other technology. I say go for it if it's suitable for your use case.

Multifactor authentication technologies are built into the product, whereas some products lack multifactor authentication. We need only one or two. They provide authentication, gateway integration, OTP integration, etc.

Director at vatanix
Stable with good technical support, but the management interfaces need to be consolidated
  • "I am very satisfied with the technical support."
  • "The problem is that when combined with what the client already has, there are two different logins and two different management systems, and these should be consolidated into a single interface."

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and SonicWall SMA is one of the products that we implement for our clients. They use it to protect their data.

What needs improvement?

We need to keep applying updates that are supplied from the OEM.

On the customer's side, we have a centralized system. There is software to manage their security appliance, as well as their network appliance, and they have some kind of endpoint security. The problem is that when combined with what the client already has, there are two different logins and two different management systems, and these should be consolidated into a single interface.

We have been working with SonicWall SMA for 13 years.

This is a stable product.

I am very satisfied with the technical support.

We also work with Fortinet products.

The length of time for deployment depends on the customer and their environment.

I have a team of four people who handle the implementation for our clients.

What other advice do I have?

This is definitely a product that I can recommend to others.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Nawapol Boonlerd - PeerSpot reviewer
Information Security Engineer at BigFish Enterprise Ltd.
Offers a fair price and has good stability and scalability

What is our primary use case?

I'm an information security engineer and we are integrators.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be improved. I'd also like to see the solution move to the cloud.

I've been using this solution for one year.

The scalability and stability are good.

We are in Thailand and I'm very happy with the technical support.

I think they ask for a fair price.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.