IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Sangfor NGAF OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Sangfor NGAF is #24 ranked solution in best firewalls. PeerSpot users give Sangfor NGAF an average rating of 8 out of 10. Sangfor NGAF is most commonly compared to Fortinet FortiGate: Sangfor NGAF vs Fortinet FortiGate. Sangfor NGAF is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 49% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 41% of all views.

Download the Firewalls Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Sangfor NGAF?

Sangfor Next Generation Firewall (also known as NGAF) is a converged security solution providing protection against advanced threat, malware, viruses, ransomware and web-based attacks using integrated security features like firewall, IPS, anti-virus, anti-malware, APT, URL filtering, Cloud Sandbox, and WAF. As the world's first AI-enabled and fully integrated Next Generation Firewall & Web Application Firewall (WAF), NGAF offering the security visibility, real-time detection and response, simplified operation and maintenance and high-performance application layer security needed to operate an enterprise network in total security. Tested and proven to provide cutting-edge network security by ICSA Labs and endorsed by Gartner Inc., NGAF harnesses the power of Sangfor’s Neural-X threat intelligence and analytics platform and Engine Zero’s innovative malware detection to provide next-generation protection for today’s enterprise.

Sangfor NGAF was previously known as Sangfor NGAF Firewall Platform.

Sangfor NGAF Customers

The Ministry of Science, Technology, and Innovation (Indonesia), Lawson, Inc. (Philippines), Universiti Sultan Zainal Abidin (Indonesia), TEK Automotive (Italy), etc.

Sangfor NGAF Video

Archived Sangfor NGAF Reviews (more than two years old)

Director Technology & Service Delivery at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Simple with easy to master user interface, great support and good value
  • "It's a very simple to use product."
  • "Occasional issues with breaches which are dealt with expediently."

What is our primary use case?

We are based in Pakistan and when it comes to firewalls we have partnerships with several companies - Sangfor, Sophos and Fortinet. I'm the director of technology and service.

What is most valuable?

Almost all vendors in this category have the same features, but the big advantage in Sangfor is that it's very easy to use. The graphical user interface is so easy that a child could configure it. The other nice thing about Sangfor is the price tag. Almost every customer is pleasantly surprised by the low cost. When you compare it with the networking and firewall leaders like Cisco, it's very good value.

What needs improvement?

These days there are lots of breaches and vulnerabilities which you can see if you do some research. Sangfor has similar issues with one or two products where customers have had problems. The company deaks with these things immediately and quickly brings out new firmware to solve the issue so I'm not aware of any deficiency in the solution. If a customer finds a feature lacking, we open a ticket to support and Sangfor comes up with the appropriate new firmware within 10 days. If you were to do the same with other vendors, it would normally take four to five months to get the new feature.

I've been using the solution for two years.
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Sangfor, Fortinet, Sophos and others in Firewalls. Updated: June 2022.
610,336 professionals have used our research since 2012.

This is a very stable solution.

The scalability is good. You normally plan for a certain number of users in your environment so that you can size the firewall accordingly. Sangfor provides a buffer for growth of between 15%-30%.

Sangfor has fabulous technical support, they are always there. If there's a problem in someone's environment, the data engineers usually visit there within no time to support them.

The way it works in Pakistan is that we have Sangfor technical staff with us and they deal with the technical session, sizing and firewall recommendation, and ultimately implementation. The initial setup doesn't take long.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to note that the performance of the solution depends on the initial pre-working and sizing. The sizing is handled by the company and they know their product, so they normally size it very well. They also put in provision for future growth so there's never an issue of performance. There's no such thing as 100% so I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Network and Security System at a healthcare company with 201-500 employees
Has good performance but it needs better integration

What is our primary use case?

The firewall is connected to the directory. It offers domain authentication if you want to connect to the internet. It helps our users' website connect to our internet service.

What is most valuable?

In terms of the most valuable features, the IPS report is quick and updated. Performance is also valuable.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvement, it should have integrated consoles. Since we have various products and we need one console that we can use to manage all of the solutions. Sangfor should provide it.

It could also be cheaper.

The initial setup was straightforward. It's easy to use. The user interface isn't user-friendly though.

The pricing should be lowered.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution.

I'd rate it an eight out of ten. Not a ten because it's not so user-friendly and needs better integration.

June 2022
610,336 professionals have used our research since 2012.
NadeemKhan - PeerSpot reviewer
Group IT Director at United Medical
We don't lose data anymore because it protects us from viruses
  • "It seems to be a durable, stable product."
  • "They need to improve their research team and they need to study their data to analyze it and build the product."

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use this solution as a firewall. A few years ago we had some data loss due to a virus, so this solution protects us from viruses, controls the track rate and detects these kinds of malware. We are very satisfied with the solution.

How has it helped my organization?

I try to convert the benefit into a dollar value so that I can tell my clients or my management that I'm saving money. So, since we have zero issues, no malware activity, and no viruses, I have peace of mind. Before we started using this solution, we had a huge data loss and we lost millions of dollars.

If there is any activity on our servers, I get a report immediately. If anybody is trying to intrude, I am protected. So if somebody is trying to enter into our area, I get an alert. There are other standard safety measures too and it is linked to our backup, so everything is amazing. I think the value lies in not having a disaster in the healthcare industry. The cost of having a disaster here is multiplied by three if you compare it with any other industry.

Whenever there's an attack, your data is safe, and you can recover it after five hours and your patients' well-being isn't affected. I think this solution is a very good example of a proactive solution that can detect problems and immediately fix the problems or issues.

What is most valuable?

I think the most important feature is the solution's user-friendliness. It's very easy to manage and its database is amazing. It has all the features you need. When we installed the solution, we had a virus that hacked even our airline data, but thanks to the solution, we were protected. So their virus database is very strong, and they keep on updating. The normal features of any application firewall are that you can control it from anywhere and you can manage it very easy. Those things are very simple, and all NGAF providers have it. But I prefer Sangfor because it's really protecting us and it is easy to manage. It doesn't require a lot of skill sets to manage it. And their database is very strong.

What needs improvement?

We're still evaluating the program, so there is no guarantee that we will always get this kind of protection. They need to improve their research team and they need to study their data to analyze it and build the product. I think the developers should sit with their clients to understand how they can improve their product. Although it's running very smooth, they need to collect data from their clients to improve the product.

Cisco, for example, has forums where you can go and type in your question and get the answer. So the developers of Sangfor needs to get feedback from the users and adapt their product on the basis of that feedback.

I've been using the solution for almost two years now on premises and private cloud.

It seems to be a durable, stable product. My impression about Chinese products was different before I started using this solution. I'm very impressed with their improvement and the hardware seems to be very stable.

It's easily scalable. They've got different models of the software upgrade, so if you want to move your product and version, it can be scaled. We are expanding soon as we are building a new hospital in the region so we will soon need to scale up and increase the capacity and capability of the NGAF.

Whenever you have a problem, you'll get an answer in 30 minutes' time, maximum. Unless it is at a very awkward time, like in the middle of the night. They have a WeChat group on the cloud, so you can communicate there an get an answer within 30 minutes. The support is really good.

We used a normal firewall and antivirus solution - a combination of a hybrid system.

The initial setup was very straightforward and simple. They created a WeChat group and they send the product to us, knowing the email came to us. There were about three to four sessions. The deployment was very straightforward and they shared a lot of reviews. We looked at that and everything was fine. It's a low-cost implementation. The deployment took about four to five days. You only need one staff member for deployment.

I think the ROI is very high and the turnaround is very fast.

It costs about 8 to 10 thousand dollars per year for 500 users, standard licensing fees included.

What other advice do I have?

Sangfor NGAF is a good product. People should try it, especially those who are not using the software. These firewalls are great and everything is becoming properly defined, even the network, the computer, the firewalls, storage, and everything is just waiting to be properly defined. It's a unique combination and people should try it.

In the future, I would like to see it being controlled by an automatic, virtual orchestrator to control the firewall and all the data.

One a scale of one to ten, I rate this solution a nine.

Download our free Firewalls Report and find out what your peers are saying about Sangfor, Fortinet, Sophos, and more!
Updated: June 2022