Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Rally Software OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Rally Software is #10 ranked solution in top Enterprise Agile Planning Tools and #13 ranked solution in top Application Lifecycle Management Suites. PeerSpot users give Rally Software an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. Rally Software is most commonly compared to Microsoft Azure DevOps: Rally Software vs Microsoft Azure DevOps. Rally Software is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 79% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 16% of all views.

Download the Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) Suites Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Rally Software?

With Rally Software, you can plan, prioritize, manage, track, and continuously improve your work so that you can deliver the value that your customers need with speed, quality, and efficiency. Our enterprise-class Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) SaaS platform provides visibility into progress, roadblocks, and dependencies across multiple teams, projects, and programs. This allows you to align to your strategic goals and create better business results, and to do it all in a single system of record.

Rally Software was previously known as CA Agile Central, Rally Enterprise, CA Agile Training, CA Agile Coaching, CA Agile Academy, CA Agile Management , CA ALM.

Rally Software Customers

Physicians Mutual, Harvard Pilgrim HealthCare, Editora Abril, Tata Communications, Level 3 Communications, Seagate, TomTom, Philips, Hiscox, Physicians Mutual, MYOB

Rally Software Video

Rally Software Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Rally Software pricing:
  • "I understand it's a little more expensive. That is why many people prefer Jira."
  • "We are always looking for a discount, if the solution was less expensive it would be a benefit."
  • Rally Software Reviews

Implementation Consultant at a healthcare company with 201-500 employees
    Useful for seeing if we are on target for work, but it is not intuitive and should have easier and user-friendly reporting without having to use the Excel add-in
    • "We use the roadmap features, and we're getting better at using dates to use the roadmap so that we can see if we're on target for work."
    • "What I don't like about it is that it is really hard to find old work to reference information and use the reporting section of the application in terms of trying to analyze trends. If I am trying to find out which interfaces took this long and I want to compare and measure improvement from one quarter to another quarter, the reporting mechanism within Rally is very troublesome. They have an Excel plugin that you're supposed to use, but you literally have to pull the raw data out before you can do the analysis. You can't do it within Rally, and if you can, it is a secret, and I don't know how to do it. It should have better, easier, and user-friendly reporting without having to use the Excel add-in. It is very clunky. There is a lot of data in there, but it is not organized in such a way that makes it intuitive. You really have to kind of look for where do you put your documentation or dates. Some customization is available, but it is not plug-and-play like Jira. When I switched from TFS to Jira, I just went and started using Jira, whereas with Rally, you kind of have to really get in and figure out what you need to do before you set stuff up, or you're going to get yourself stuck. You can just start using Jira and be successful."

What is our primary use case?

It is used to track any enhancements or new integrations. We have integrations from mainframe systems to RESTful services. We also have a few SOAP integrations. Essentially, we use the feature level of Rally to document what the interface is and then the engineers make the user stories within the feature to represent the tasks that they need to do to complete the interface, which includes everything from making the design document to the activities that they do in IIB, such as deploying the code to production. Our version has probably been updated within the last three months.

How has it helped my organization?

It is kind of set up for Scrum or Agile, but we sort of use it more in a kind of hybrid way. It does help build accountability because, during stand-up, you have to see what everybody is doing, why certain things are in red, and why someone is not where he or she is supposed to be.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

What I don't like about it is that it is really hard to find old work to reference information and use the reporting section of the application in terms of trying to analyze trends. If I am trying to find out which interfaces took this long and I want to compare and measure improvement from one quarter to another quarter, the reporting mechanism within Rally is very troublesome. They have an Excel plugin that you're supposed to use, but you literally have to pull the raw data out before you can do the analysis. You can't do it within Rally, and if you can, it is a secret, and I don't know how to do it. It should have better, easier, and user-friendly reporting without having to use the Excel add-in.

It is very clunky. There is a lot of data in there, but it is not organized in such a way that makes it intuitive. You really have to kind of look for where do you put your documentation or dates. Some customization is available, but it is not plug-and-play like Jira. When I switched from TFS to Jira, I just went and started using Jira, whereas with Rally, you kind of have to really get in and figure out what you need to do before you set stuff up, or you're going to get yourself stuck. You can just start using Jira and be successful.

Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) Suites
    September 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, Atlassian, Microsoft and others in Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) Suites. Updated: September 2022.
    635,513 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is kind of hit and miss. Sometimes, it is really reliable. I'm not sure if the delays that we see intermittently when it hangs up are because we've all gone remote now, and there are different people with different types of remote devices. I don't know if they are because of Rally.

Different teams that I've been with in the same organization use different tools. I have used TFS and Jira. I would go back to Jira or TFS in a minute. I don't find Rally good for scaling what we're doing. A good percentage of this part of my organization does use Rally, but I don't find it conducive to building transparency across the organization. We should either have TFS, Jira, or Rally. However, because of the lack of reporting, Rally won't be suitable and scalable for the whole organization. People want to see and measure what teams are able to do, and if they can't do that quickly, senior leadership is not going to be on board. If every team had to dig as much as I have to dig, it is not scalable.

In terms of users, we have implementation consultants, which is kind of a hybrid role between a BA, a PM, and a QA. We also have engineers, application developers, business analysts, managers, project managers, and directors. We have senior leadership, like AVPs, who periodically go in there and look at stuff randomly, but for the most part, it is usually used by managers and frontline staff like myself. About 80% of teams in our business unit are using Rally. My team has 15, but the number is easily more than that.

I have not had to deal with them.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to make sure that they have full training in terms of the connection between features, user stories, and epics. They should also fully understand how to configure it in terms of providing visibility across teams that have to work with each other.

I would rate Rally Software a six out of ten.

Agile and DevOps Coach at Infosys
    MSP
    Useful features for better understanding cycle time and lead time metrics, but performance and pricing could be improved
    • "The most valuable feature of this solution is the Kanban board."
    • "We want Rally to generate OKRs, to allow teams to record the OKRs, and then the OKRs can be mapped to the epics and there is organizational alignment."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the Kanban board. The team board that you can see, and enables you to capture the working agreements as well as the date and stage. Because that feature is not available in Jira, I found it useful. In terms of metrics, Rally assists you with capture, allowing you to better understand cycle time and lead time metrics. Those are the features of Rally that I really enjoy.

What needs improvement?

Rally has the ability to improve the features. We would like to see progress made against the features, probably in the form of a dashboard, where when teams complete stories, the features upload, and the stories are completed, and the feature about them gets updated with the progress. This is available in Jira but not in Rally.

That's something I would like to see because the management wants to see how far we have come with the epics and the features. They want a dashboard that would allow Rally to provide a picture to the leadership of the progress made on the epics and features.

There should also be an automation feature. When the last story in the feature is finished, the feature's status should be automatically updated.

The user interface can be improved. I still don't think the UI is as impressive as Azure DevOps or Jira.

The performance can still be improved.

Rally Software should develop an OKR framework that will allow OKRs to be recorded in Rally. That would be a win-win situation because there would be changes for Rally Software because there are other tools that are attempting to provide, the OKR option, and the tool to this Rally integration is difficult. Rally will be more successful if they can enable the OKR capturing or recording process.

We want Rally to generate OKRs, to allow teams to record the OKRs, and then the OKRs can be mapped to the epics and there is organizational alignment. The organization can execute those objectives using the team's backlog.

I have been working with Rally Software for the last three years.

Rally Software, is a stable solution.

Rally Software is scalable but could be better.

When we try to generate some reports, it takes a long time to load due to the increased number of users.

We did not contact Broadcom directly because everything is handled by the admin team. Whenever we have an issue, we contact the admin team, who then communicates with Broadcom's technical support.

I'm a co-chair and I don't get involved with fixing Rally issues. We explained the Rally issues to the admin team, and they will most likely interact with Rally support to get it resolved.

We also have experience in Jira.

I am not involved with the initial setup. Once we have been given access it is easy to navigate.

There is a Rally admin team that will set it up for us and grant access.

I understand it's a little more expensive. That is why many people prefer Jira.

If they want to compete in this market, they have to price their products reasonably, they must understand the competitive pricing of licenses. I believe it is on the high side.

What other advice do I have?

Given the industry and what is happening in the industry with more organizations attempting to become product-centric, Rally Software is definitely attempting to accommodate a lot of changes.

They should adopt the OKR.  In my company, for my client, we are attempting to implement OKR.

I would rate Rally Software a seven out of ten.

Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) Suites
    September 2022
    635,513 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Senior Manager - Business Intelligence at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
    Stable with good pricing and excellent reporting capabilities
    • "The product has excellent customizable reports."
    • "The product needs to have more integration capabilities."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for agile project management. We use it to work on some of the challenges we have, including test management.

What is most valuable?

The product has excellent customizable reports. There are some custom lists that are deployed in the recent version as well, which have proven to be useful to our organization.

The solution is very stable. We haven't had any performance issues in that regard.

We have all the features we need. It's a good product in that sense.

The pricing, for the most part, is reasonable.

What needs improvement?

The scalability may need to be improved. We'll see within the next three to six months, as we test it.

The product needs to have more integration capabilities.

I've been using the solution for six or seven years or so. It's been a while.

The stability of the solution has been very good so far. We haven't dealt with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's very reliable.

I can't really comment on scalability. It seems to be suitable for our needs, however, we haven't tried to scale the product and therefore wouldn't really be able to comment on its capabilities.

We do plan to potentially scale in the next three to six months. At that point, we'll have a better sense of how it will handle an expansion.

I'm not sure how many users are actually on the solution at this time.

I, unfortunately, did not handle the initial setup of the product. Therefore, it would be hard for me to comment on if it was complex or straightforward. I don't have any direct knowledge.

The pricing of the solution is okay. It's reasonable. However, the licensing does increase according to the number of modules. Therefore, it can get expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We are currently using the latest version of the solution right now.

I would rate the solution at a ten out of ten. We've been largely very pleased with its capabilities.

TheJ Srinivasan - PeerSpot reviewer
    President/CEO at FACTRSYSTEMS, LLC.
    Useful dashboard, feature rich, and simple to scale
    • "The most valuable features of Rally Software are the executive dashboards, ease of use, and many other features. They have encapsulated everything that a GI can do, such as monitoring, maintaining, and then releasing. It's continuous integration and development."

What is our primary use case?

Rally Software is typically used for dealing with all the scrum and agile principles and work orders. It keeps track of whatever workers do in the application development lifecycle before release.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Rally Software are the executive dashboards, ease of use, and many other features. They have encapsulated everything that a GI can do, such as monitoring, maintaining, and then releasing. It's continuous integration and development.

I have been using Rally Software for approximately six years.

Rally Software is stable.

The scalability of Rally Software is easy to do.

Our team typically handles all of the support for Rally Software. Only when there are some difficulties is when I come in to give assistance.

We have used Jira and Microsoft Excel previously.

I found Jira and Rally Software similar in functionality.

The initial setup of Rally Software is straightforward. In the beginning, there was more hands-on attention needed but after that, we were in operation.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is when you use Rally Software every day, they must be more hands-on. The employees have to have a level of maturity for gaining knowledge of the software. They need to know what it can do, what it can't do, knowing the ins and outs of the software are important.

I rate Rally Software an eight out of ten.

Download our free Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) Suites Report and find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, Atlassian, Microsoft, and more!
      Updated: September 2022