IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Pega Robotic Process Automation OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Pega Robotic Process Automation is #10 ranked solution in best RPA tools. PeerSpot users give Pega Robotic Process Automation an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. Pega Robotic Process Automation is most commonly compared to UiPath: Pega Robotic Process Automation vs UiPath. Pega Robotic Process Automation is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 74% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 30% of all views.

Download the Robotic Process Automation (RPA) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Pega Robotic Process Automation?

With Pega Robotic Process Automation (RPA), organizations can automate the mundane, tedious, time-consuming, manual work that is hampering productivity and efficiency. Whether adjudicating claims, onboarding customers or employees, reconciling financials, updating customer information in systems record, Pega RPA can manage the work across your enterprise.

Pega Robotic Process Automation was previously known as Pega RPA, OpenSpan.

Pega Robotic Process Automation Customers
eBay Enterprise, M&I Bank

Pega Robotic Process Automation Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Pega Robotic Process Automation pricing:
  • "Pega is pretty costly."
  • "Pega Robotic Process Automation is an expensive solution."
  • Pega Robotic Process Automation Reviews

Tej Mirthinti - PeerSpot reviewer
    Founder at NEARverse Labs
    Easy to set up with great automation of data entry capabilities
    • "It was very smooth and very seamless to create automations."
    • "They have tied the deployment with the Pega BPM product, the robot manager. You need to have the BPM installed."

What is our primary use case?

My experience was predominantly Pega Robotic solutions. I worked as an individual contributor with the developers. And I worked with the team, I led a team of five members in the last organization.

We worked in insurance. My last couple of projects were in insurance. It is mostly back-end process automation, like manual tedious tasks. One of the latest use cases we worked on was for creating third-party cases for dubious claims. Every insurance agency has an investigative third-party company that investigates dubious claims. Every time we have to log a claim, it was a very tedious task. Previously, each day, users would log about 150 claims with the third party and each one would take five to six minutes. We have automated this process.

What is most valuable?

The data entry and the automation of data entry are the most valuable aspects of the product. It was very smooth and very seamless to create automations. There was no scope for any errors and it was really error-free. That really helped us.

The initial setup was pretty easy.

What needs improvement?

There aren’t many areas for improvement. The process itself was really fine. There was no unnecessary jargon and unnecessary steps.

In one of the past projects, however, I observed they made it unnecessarily complex by, let's just say, exporting a screenshot at the end of each step which was cumbersome - especially when you could just save it in a drive locally or a shared drive. Extra necessary steps just make the automation complex. You really need to think out the process and simplify as much as possible to avoid complexity.

I would like to see some features improved that are already in there. One thing is the ease of deployment. They have integrated the deployment. They have tied the deployment with the Pega BPM product, the robot manager. You need to have the BPM installed. On top of that, you need to install this robotic manager solution. I understand that they want to tie their products together and make customers use both or all of their products in one suite; however, it can be annoying. It makes things unnecessarily complex. It would have been great if they just provided a standalone deployment system.

Features-wise, I'd like to see the OCR Optical Character Recognition. Pega is way behind its competitors in terms of OCR implementation and OCR capabilities. I'd like to see that improve. I haven't personally tried out many OCR solutions, however, on a proof of concept level, we did a few things and there is significant room for improvement there.

I've been working with RPA solutions for about five years now. I’ve used Pega from the beginning. My entire RPA experience was predominantly with Pega Robotics and also WinAutomation. It’s been around four years now.

Robotic Process Automation (RPA)
    July 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Pega, UiPath, Blue Prism and others in Robotic Process Automation (RPA). Updated: July 2022.
    620,068 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution was stable. There were no bugs or glitches and it didn’t crash or freeze. It was reliable.

Just in the UK, there were about seven to eight people using the solution. It is not done 24 hours a day. There are no dedicated resources. Manually, we may work on it for one to two hours a day. Once it’s deployed, just one or two machines are needed to run the solution.

I have found the solution to be scalable.

Pega Robotics itself makes solutions really scalable. If you want to integrate it into this process with existing automation, you could just plug in this project to the existing ones. The scalability is really good.

I personally have dealt with multiple issues and have gotten support from them. The response time is definitely quick. The turnaround time is good. However, when solutions get tricky, where the answer is not straightforward, and there is research that needs to be done, they take time. That is quite understandable. However, it would've been great if solutions were provided quicker. You don't reach out to them unless it is absolutely essential. First, you try to fix it internally. Once you reach out to them, it’s vital to get a quick resolution. Therefore, that turnaround time is imperative.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

I also have experience with WinAutomation.

This use case itself is not that complex, which meant the setup was easy. It is pretty much a straightforward solution. It is A to B to C. There were no exceptions. On paper, it was a very good solution with a good process and a very stable process at that, which made things easy. Some are relatively easy to implement. They vary. I’ve had others that were harder in the past.

The last project was entirely an individual project. For the deployment, we tested along with the user. We did user acceptance testing. Once it was approved by everyone, we did a pilot run, and then we handed this over to the deployment team. They deployed it. They were a team of six or seven members. They handled setups individually as well. Typically there are not more than three hands on an entire solution. Once the solution was handed over to the client, it took them a day or two to set everything up.

Maintenance is handled via tickets. If there are any improvements to be made, we get tickets and resolve the issue. The engineers typically work on the solution and fix anything. Upgrades depend on the ticket's priority. It’s allocated to whoever has time to pick it up and action the maintenance.

The ROI is good. RPA, in general, provides a good return on investment. Pega Robotics is not an exception. They’re exceptionally good

Licensing is based on the number of machines that you deploy it on. Usually, it is based on the other products you buy per anum or per machine. In Pega Robotics, it is based on the number of solutions you deploy and the number of times you run. The cost is variable. My previous client worked based on this hourly model, the number of robots and the number of solutions that are run. They also provided per machine.

Pega doesn't just provide these robotic solutions. It comes with their BPM products as well. It depends on what the client uses. If the client uses this along with the BPM products, They might get added discounts, et cetera. Every contract is unique.

What other advice do I have?

I’m a customer and end-user.

We started with the eighth version. The last one I used was 19.1. Until the latest build from February, we used the 19 version, the 19.1s. We stopped using the solution in February.

I’d rate the solution seven out of ten.

If a person is familiar with the .NET framework, it will be a great visual studio in general. Plus, picking up Pega Robotics will be very easy for them. It’s good in general to brush up on programming skills, along with Pega Robotics. If you need to add capabilities out of the scope or out of the realm of abilities of the tool, programming is essential to customize your solution.

President at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    A very flexible solution with broad capabilities that gets easy to use with time
    • "Using the tool actually ends up teaching you about making workflows more efficient."
    • "The tech support is highly available and there is plenty of online training available."
    • "It is really flexible in what it can do."
    • "The ease-of-use could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Right now we have large scale systems, like mainframes. It is very difficult to make changes on a mainframe. One of the more common things we are using robots for is in places where our customer service reps have to do dual entry or do entry over multiple systems. We are also trying to automate some other manual processes.

What is most valuable?

I guess the most valuable thing that we get from using robotics is part of the process of using robots. Sometimes robotic solutions are limited. You can only do so much. But there is benefit in that. For example, sometimes people want robots, but what they really need are better workflows. I think what we get out of a Pega solution is that we look hard at improving workflows as a practice. Then on top of that, we get automation through the use of robots. It just makes everything more efficient even if it is not completely automated.

What I have seen in the industry more often than not is that people just want a robot to do something for them. They think they know what they need but they might not really look at what problems they are trying to solve. In other words, they do not want to know what is going on, they just want a robot to do whatever some task is for them. I can ask them what they are trying to do, but they are sold on their idea and not understanding what other things are out there that would do a better job of solving their issues. Sometimes clients want me to do things that robots do not do. Like one person wanted a robot to scan something like a million documents. I do not have a robot to do that.

I am getting challenged by people who just want a robot and they do not want ideas. I think they might want to consider that maybe robots are not leading the solution and solving the bigger issue, but they doing other things. Robots are not the ultimate solution for everything.

What needs improvement?

My pain points with Pega Robotic come down to two big things. It is swivel chairing and dual entry. Those are the two big things that are an issue with old mainframe systems. That is what people are dealing with. It is just not doing the same thing twice.

Ease of use could probably be improved. A lot of what you do in Pega is built on Visual Studio with OpenSpan. Pega is very user-friendly and it is easy to build. But you have to know Visual Studio .net to build with it right now. If you are used to Pega, it is a different way of building because it is still essentially Visual Studio. That is the issue. No question that it can be improved. It can be improved a lot.

The Pega company bought OpenSpan. OpenSpan used to be in the market as a separate company. It has technically been Pega Robotic Process Automation since 2016.

The stability is good. We do not run into problems with crashes and such.

Scalability is not an issue. If anything, you are going to be more limited by your own environment than by the tool. Some Pega or RPA is not going to limit how you scale.

We have one robot team at our company with about 10 members. That includes analysts, developers, and testers. Right now we are small, but we are going to try to grow it over the next one to two years.

The technical support is good. They have good people. They are very available. The bigger problem is more about knowing what you have to learn, what your team has got to learn, and the questions to ask. The technical support will be right there for you.

The initial setup is not bad at all. I would say it was medium complexity. We got up and running and we could build a robot pretty quickly. For us, what we spent more time on is deciding what we were going to build a robot for. It was more the opportunity assessment. Once people heard that we could build robots, they flooded us with requests for building all sorts of robots. When we started getting all the requests, we started having problems with how to balance what went first right from the start. Any problems had nothing to do with Pega in general.

We had to decide which request to do first and which one was more valuable. What we put in place was an opportunity assessment. If we got 15 requests, of course everybody thought that their robot was the most important to build first. It was coming up with that understanding and assessing the value of each of the robotic opportunities that became more difficult.

I was recently looking into other robotics solutions strictly as research. We have and use Pega for our robotics now. The organization I work with wanted to know what else is available out there. Robotics is changing so quickly that it makes sense to keep up on the developments in the industry. A lot of new products are entering the market. I do not know if we will make a change in the future, but maybe something will fit our needs a little bit better later on.

What other advice do I have?

People who are considering Pega should be aware of a few things. Pega has got plenty of online training. Make sure that you take advantage of all the online training. You might even want to hire someone from Pega just to get you started. This will keep you from running into issues where you are going to struggle when using the tool. If you have a good start, then basically it is easy flying after that. Once you build something, you learn so much from building that first robot that you will have way fewer troubles building more. It might even be a good idea to hire someone on for 90 days just to get that first robot built. You learn and then you have a roadmap on how to move forward.

Additional features that I would like to see in Pega in the next release all have to do with ease of use. Pega itself is really easy to use when you get away from Visual Studio. What I am mostly looking for is a better UI for better building.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate Pega Robotic Process Automation as an eight-out-of-ten. The good thing about Pega is that it is very flexible. You can do a lot so the capabilities are broad. It can be tough at first to understand and start building. That is the only thing I would say is a downside. Put that aside and it has got tons of capability.

Robotic Process Automation (RPA)
    July 2022
    620,068 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Vijay_S - PeerSpot reviewer
    Practice Leader at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Reliable and strong, but cloud presence should be expanded to other regions
    • "They are leaders in the same industry."
    • "The handwritten structured and semi-structured data recognition accuracy is much lower and is an area that definitely needs to improve."

What is our primary use case?

We are not resellers. We implement Pega Robotic Process Automation.

What is most valuable?

Definitely, we are satisfied. It's a pretty strong product.

They are leaders in the same industry.

What needs improvement?

As part of the digital transformation, most organizations are looking for the cloud option, and Pega's cloud presence is pretty much restricted to North America and Europe. There is no cloud presence in the Middle East, India, and other regions.

Financial customers in these regions are skeptical. They don't want to have their data outside of the geography for multiple reasons, mainly because of the government policies.

Pega should consider putting the focus on other regions such as India and the Middle East. They should also start to think about a data center that is hosted in that particular country.

It is not as easy, to implement bots in Pega with the features it carries as it is in UiPath. For example, implementing a chatbot or your email bot is not that straightforward in Pega.

When we consider OCR, the degree of accuracy is less with Pega when the data is structured or semi-structured. The accuracy of the OCR in UiPath or some other products is much high with structured and semi-structured data. The handwritten structured and semi-structured data recognition accuracy is much lower and is an area that definitely needs to improve.

I manage the practice and have a team that has been working with Pega for 15 years.

They are not only working with Pega RPA but the entire platform, the entire suite of products that are offered such as RPA, BPM, and CRM.

Pega Robotic Process Automation is a stable product.

We had experienced performance issues at one point, but it had to do with the infrastructure that was procured by a particular customer. We are seeing larger implementations for financial customers.

Smaller customers have also had performance issues but again, it's because of the infrastructure.

Our customers vary in size. We have small business customers to enterprise customers as well as corporate customers, and customers on a medium scale.

Our experience is predominantly with ServiceNow and Pega.

We work with multiple products. Pega and Appian are two of the key products that we are working with. It is more in the RPA and BPM space.

We also have expertise in UiPath and Automation Anywhere. Our focus is on RPA, BPM with Pega, Appian, UiPath, and Automation Anywhere.

We also work with other products such as Salesforce, Microsoft Dynamics, and ServiceNow.

What we would recommend would depend on the customer. If it is a high scale enterprise customer who is looking for a core platform implementation, such as card dispute or claims modernization, they should go with Pega.

If a customer is looking for safe automation and easy implementation, they can use Pega, but we would recommend SalesForce because it is pretty straightforward and easy to implement.

With many customers, we see that they prefer Appian and UiPath to go along with having Pega and Salesforce already because Appian is a product that is straightforward and low-code. Anything that is implemented in Pega is a process that takes at least three to four months as a foundation. Any changes in Pega can take a lot of time, it is not low-code. Appian can be very easily implemented because of its model. If you have an operational implementation in finance operations, legal operations, HR operations, frequent changes, and for agility, we recommend Appian.

For customers who already have an RPA in place and already have Salesforce and they don't want a CRM but want to process data then we suggest UiPath. UiPath is pretty strong and pure RPA but it does not have a processed platform. If there are tactical solutions required we recommend UiPath.

These are the four main products we recommend to the customers depending on their current needs.

I would like to see pricing for different geography sites. Pega is predominantly US-centric with its pricing. When we see customers in the Middle East, or the APAC region where they are is definitely looking for lower pricing, Pega still more costly because they are still in the US pricing model.

Pega is pretty costly. When you look at the competitors such as SalesForce, Newgen, and multiple other products, they have India-centric pricing, as well as pricing for the Middle East.

We have many customers who are interested in a comparison with many different products. We are evaluating solutions such as Pega RPA, Power Automate, and ServiceNow to create points of view of the differences between the products.

We also want a better understanding of the differences, as we don't have a lot of experience with Power Automate.

What other advice do I have?

To use Pega RPA, you have to be mature. If you are interested in RPA, I would still rank UiPath first. Pega would be the second recommendation and the third would be Appian.

Salesforce does not have a large RPA at this point. For pure RPA, there is no question that UiPath would be the suggested product.

Pega and Appian have to achieve a certain level of maturity. They are still a part of the product line and are still excellent products similar to OpenSpan, Jira, and also Appian. The integration is not as smooth as expected and it might take a year to get seamless integration.

If I were to rate Pega as a suite, I would rate it a nine out of ten. It has CRM, process implementations, customer experience, and has RPA.

I would rate Pega Robotic Process Automation a seven out of ten.

KinjalDangeria - PeerSpot reviewer
    Director Of Services at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Robust, scalable, and offers great technical support
    • "The low-code/no-code development aspect of the solution is great."
    • "The development experience needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for any process automation. However, it is also is great for any DevOps deployment. It's a zero-code, no-code kind of development as well.

What is most valuable?

The low-code/no-code development aspect of the solution is great.

It's a pretty good, robust application.

The product has been very scalable.

The stability is good.

Technical support is great. They know what they are talking about.

What needs improvement?

The development experience needs to be improved. It could be better.

The initial setup could be a bit easier.

I've been using the solution for four years or more.

The stability of the product is very good. It's robust and reliable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The scalability of the product is great. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so. it's not a problem.

We have ten customers on Pega right now.

Technical support is pretty decent. We're very satisfied with the level of attention we get when we need assistance. They are pretty knowledgeable. We have no complaints.

We would like to see the initial setup be a bit easier. Right now, it's a complex process.

The initial setup only took about six to eight hours or so.

We have a big team that can handle deployment or maintenance. We have about 30 or 40 people who can handle any related tasks. We have mostly engineers and then a few team leads. If you include the team leads, we're looking at about 50 or so people that can cover this area.

There are different licensing models for the product on offer.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

I'd advise potential new users to do process evaluation with respect to Pega before you jump in. It's a complete end-to-end product suite. You have to know which product suite is applicable to your environment.

Technical Project Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    An intuitive workflow system, that is stable and easy to setup
    • "The workflow system is very intuitive."
    • "I would like to see an enhanced auditing feature included."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the workflow. The workflow system is very intuitive.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice if they brought in some pre-defined functions such as drag and drop coding.

I would like to see an enhanced auditing feature included.

I have been working with Pega Robotic Process Automation for 36 months, three years.

We are using the latest version.

It's a stable solution. We have not had any issues.

It's a scalable product.

I have a team of approximately 50 people who are core Pega developers.

The community support is awesome. They answer your questions and they support them.

The technical support is okay. I would not rate them a ten, but maybe a six or a seven out of ten.

I have used other solutions and if you were to ask me about Robotic Process Automation, I would first choose Blue Prism and Pega would be second. The last would be WorkFusion.

The initial setup was straightforward.

It took a couple of weeks for the team to set it up.

We have our in-house community for Pega deployment. In fact, I lead the community.

Pricing is handled by my legal team. This is something that is out of my control or knowledge.

What other advice do I have?

For anyone who is interested in using this solution, I would suggest doing a POC, (Proof of Concept) before the implementation.

Blue Prism, is a little better.

Amit-Verma - PeerSpot reviewer
    Digital Transformation Director at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
    Process Automation solution that supports operational teams and improves speed and accuracy of tasks

What is our primary use case?

This is a client solution that assists operational teams on a daily basis. If a client wants to automate tasks, they provide their requirements to us and we build a solution for them using Pega to deploy onto their infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

We have a very large operational team and we are able to avoid mistakes and ensure accuracy and speed using Pega.

What needs improvement?

There have been some scenarios where the bot was not able to replace some of the controls and could not recognize and personalize the task we wanted to automate.

This is a stable solution. The stability is dependant on the solution that an architect provides for their particular bot. It also depends on the design and the development that was done.

We have also use UiPath which is also a good tool. UiPath has a couple of new features which give it the edge over other solutions.

The complexity of the initial setup depends on if the customer is new and if they have an existing enterprise structure environment. This determines the kind of installation that is needed.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Quality Assurance Team Lead at HCL Technologies
    Useful automated deployment, reliable, and robust

What is our primary use case?

With our legacy systems, we are dependent on Pega Robotic Process Automation.

What is most valuable?

Pega Robotic Process Automation's most valuable feature is that it is robust. Additionally, they have plenty of online documents that are good and Pega Academy is helpful, they are doing a great job. They give training on practical use cases. They take domain use cases, and they are great.

I have been using Pega Robotic Process Automation for a short period of time.

Pega Robotic Process Automation is a stable solution.

Pega Robotic Process Automation scalability is too low.

I have not had any problems with the technical support from Pega Robotic Process Automation.

The deployment of Pega Robotic Process Automation is very easy because they made deployments very simple. Earlier they were manual deployment but now they're automated.

Pega Robotic Process Automation is an expensive solution.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Pega Robotic Process Automation a ten out of ten.

I need to explore the solution more. However, I have enjoyed the usage of this solution.

Download our free Robotic Process Automation (RPA) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Pega, UiPath, Blue Prism, and more!
    Updated: July 2022