IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

OutSystems OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

OutSystems is #3 ranked solution in top Mobile Development Platforms, #8 ranked solution in top Low-Code Development Platforms, and #9 ranked solution in top Rapid Application Development Software. PeerSpot users give OutSystems an average rating of 8 out of 10. OutSystems is most commonly compared to Microsoft PowerApps: OutSystems vs Microsoft PowerApps. OutSystems is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 63% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.
OutSystems Buyer's Guide

Download the OutSystems Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is OutSystems?
OutSystems is the number one platform for low-code rapid application development. Thousands of customers worldwide trust OutSystems as only solution that combines the power of low-code development with advanced mobile capabilities, enabling visual development of entire application portfolios that easily integrate with existing systems.
OutSystems Customers
Randstad, Warner Brothers, HP, Intel, ING, Banco Popular, Thrivent Financial, Bacardi, Kent State University, Bacardi, FICO, ING, Vodafone, AbbVie, Estafeta, Siemens, Vopak
OutSystems Video

OutSystems Pricing Advice

What users are saying about OutSystems pricing:
  • "I think the pricing for OutSystems is comparable with similar solutions. I would place it somewhere in the middle. We pay for the bundle and don't pay anything extra in terms of licensing and other fees."
  • "I believe they are very strict with their pricing platforms, or the pricing policies, and it changes."
  • "OutSystems is a good solution, but it's not cheap."
  • "It's not cheap. It's pretty expensive."
  • "The subscription is billed on a yearly basis."
  • OutSystems Reviews

Director Technology at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    • "One thing I like about OutSystems is that there's no lock-in. You can keep running your applications because it's on .NET and hosted centrally. That's one of the advantages I see there in terms of not having an IT strategy that has a dependency on a particular platform."
    • "The integration points need to be increased. People have also started to adopt this solution for their regular needs. That means it's not only the big enterprises that are adopting this solution. There are also small and medium enterprises that are adopting it. I've read that where you have large deployments, OutSystems starts to crumble a bit. That is the idea that no customer would know at the beginning and would also not like to hit the wall there. When it is on the client, there are a lot of applications already on low-code, and then suddenly you realize that you want to do some big applications, and you face hurdles. This is the general feedback for all such platforms."

What is most valuable?

One thing I like about OutSystems is that there's no lock-in. You can keep running your applications because it's on .NET and hosted centrally. That's one of the advantages I see there in terms of not having an IT strategy that has a dependency on a particular platform.

What needs improvement?

The integration points need to be increased. People have also started to adopt this solution for their regular needs. That means it's not only the big enterprises that are adopting this solution. There are also small and medium enterprises that are adopting it.  I've read that where you have large deployments, OutSystems starts to crumble a bit. That is the idea that no customer would know at the beginning and would also not like to hit the wall there. When it is on the client, there are a lot of applications already on low-code, and then suddenly you realize that you want to do some big applications, and you face hurdles. This is the general feedback for all such platforms.

We have been there with OutSystems for two and a half years to three years now.

Stability could be from multiple perspectives. From an enterprise perspective, it is the stability of the company. For example, most of the enterprise ERPs are SAP, so I don't have to check twice if a product is okay.  It's the IT strategy a company is taking, which is effectively what they're going to do for the next five years. They're going to onboard a lot of applications onto this platform. So stability-wise, of course, the scale of the company is not so big, whereas large enterprises could say that it's stable as an organization. Coming to the other part of the stability which is at the platform-stability level, I think that the features and the support that they provide are quite good, and because it is horizontally scalable, so it doesn't matter there.
    OutSystems
    June 2022
    Learn what your peers think about OutSystems. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
    610,812 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It has good scalability in terms of the target platforms, multi-tenancy, or hosting on multiple clouds.

My team has been interacting with technical support and their feedback is good. Their training is good. I think OutSystems provides one of the best trainings out of all similar platforms.

The development environment is quite easy. You install it out of the box, and it works. It's a one-click install there. I have not been involved with Enterprise setup, so I do not have any comments on that.

We primarily suggest the IT and OutSystems work together for the setup.

If I talk about enterprise-level implementation, we work very closely with Siemens, which is where Mendix comes from. We are partners with Siemens, and that's where it helps us in developing applications on Mendix because we get good community support there. I'm not sure how things are otherwise.  For OutSystems, it is more of community support and a kind of library they have, in terms of the reference implementation of libraries, which can be applied. For the industrial and enterprise nature of work, that is, for B2B scenarios, Mendix fares well. OutSystems might have a slight advantage for B2C scenarios. I would say that they are equivalent in most of the aspects. There are certain features that Mendix provides which OutSystems does not provide. Similarly, there are areas where OutSystems fares good but Mendix does not. I would rate Mendix and OutSystems the same.  The initial adoption of Microsoft PowerApps is a little bit of a hurdle. If that's overcome, then other things would be reliant. When we talk about PowerApps, we talk about the whole Microsoft ecosystem, that is, Microsoft Flow, Microsoft PowerApps, Microsoft Power Automate, which effectively brings a lot of power in terms of an ecosystem.  If I have to go with applications related to Microsoft Office 365, I might go for PowerApps. If I need external integrations and things, where they provide premium APIs and things, it becomes a little bit of a challenge.  Development-wise, PowerApps could provide a free version. They always have but it's quite restricted. If you download OutSystems or Mendix, you could do anything with the free version. That's where, in terms of acceptance, PowerApps gets a little restrictive because you need a license to evaluate it. If it is not restricted, there'll be more adoption. Of course, you can restrict deployment, the size, and all that, but development capabilities should not be restricted.

What other advice do I have?

The value proposition is not clearly visible out of these platforms as yet. Your penetration level will be decided based on if you are able to reach small and medium enterprises. If I compare something like Zoho with OutSystems, Zoho is getting good traction by purely focusing on the small and medium enterprises. These kinds of things could be game-changers in the future.  That's where the licensing model becomes a little cryptic. Of course, for enterprise, it makes sense at certain times, and it does not at certain times. The licensing models are one of the things that could be improved there and changed in terms of adaptability. OutSystems is quite a mature platform. OutSystems provides a lot of capabilities as such. However, it's not a one-size-fits-all kind of solution. Based on the needs, the platform that would be the most suitable one should be decided.  I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
    Owner at a consultancy with 1-10 employees
    Versatile with great scalability and great technical support
    • "There is literally a ton of stuff it can do. It's very flexible."
    • "The solution is costly."

What is our primary use case?

One of our clients is a union, like a labor union, and therefore they're using it to develop an engagement-type app, for member engagement applications.

What is most valuable?

Overall, it's a very nice solution.

The fact that you can run it on a lot of platforms is great. The client's goal is to create a mobile application that a lot of platforms, a lot of the old enterprise type platforms cannot do. The client wants to create something that you can put in every member's hand to engage with that member. The platform they were using before, for sure, cannot do that. This solution is very versatile in that sense.

There is literally a ton of stuff it can do. It's very flexible.

The scalability is very good.

The stability is great.

They have very good technical support.

You can run it on their cloud platform or you can run it on your own cloud platform. It's your choice where you run it. If you don't like their cloud, then you can go to somebody else's cloud and run it there and they will install it on there for you.

What needs improvement?

The solution is costly.

The solution is still very new to me, and it's therefore hard for me to discuss missing features. I'm still learning and discovering.

I haven't been using the solution for that long. It's very new to me. It's likely been about two short months.

The stability is very good. I haven't run into any issues at all. The performance is reliable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's great.

The solution is much better suited to enterprise-level organizations.

The product is definitely scalable. You can go from, for example, 10 users to a million users. It's just a matter of how much hardware you put behind it. Everything runs on the cloud. Therefore, you just keep throwing more memory, more disc space, more processing power, et cetera. It's not a problem.

Tech support is very good. They have online support and they have a support number as well that you can call. You can initiate a support case and they usually get back to you probably within three to four hours, maximum. They are very, very helpful and responsive. We are quite satisfied with the level of service.

I didn't do the setup myself. That was actually done by OutSystems. I can't speak to how easy or difficult the process is, or how long the deployment takes. I don't have any insights in that sense.

We had OutSystems handle the installation for us. We did not handle the process on our own.

The cost of the product is very high and would price out smaller organizations.

My client pays for the solution. Therefore, I have no visibility of the cost. I can't speak to the licensing or the pricing, or the terms of use.

We've also looked at Mendix and Vinyl. We looked at Gartner and compared them with this product.

What other advice do I have?

I'm an external consultant. I have a few different clients. I have no relationship OutSystems directly.

I played a little bit with OutSystems. I have one of my other clients on an OutSystems user. I'm in the process of just learning. I am trying it out. I have a computer consultant that is helping me. There are certain things that I'm looking at, in general.

The OutSystems platform is really nice, however, it's very expensive for small to medium-sized businesses. I have one customer that's an enterprise-sized organization that can afford OutSystems, however, there are a lot of my other clients that are not that large. Vinyl might be a better solution for them.

I'd recommend the solution, however, I would suggest those considering the solution to do their homework first. Look at Gartner and other opinions. Understand what you are getting into, and then decide.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

OutSystems
    June 2022
    610,812 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Technology Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
    Intuitive to use and provides good mobile support
    • "I like the mobile features the most, and there are also various features around the portal we created that I enjoy."
    • "Since we first started using OutSystems, they switched their language support from Java and .NET to .NET only, which was a bit of a surprise. Their language support could be better in this sense, although on our resource side it is now a bit more flexible."

What is our primary use case?

We have used OutSystems to develop a simple portal in the cloud. This portal is mainly for internal use and not for actual customers or external users.

It's generally not for daily usage, so there's only a small team that uses OutSystems as their primary tool in their day-to-day work, but because it's open for any and all kinds of developers, there are probably hundreds of users throughout our organization.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

We're still pretty new to OutSystems, though it has become apparent to us that, even though it's a so-called low-code platform, there are still some things that require a programmer. For example, you don't really need a lot of programming skill to work with OutSystems, but if you want to do something that's a bit more 'feature-ish', then you still need some programming experience.

On the whole, most of the features that we've required are all there. But there are some upcoming features that we are looking forward to. For example, the AI modules. They also have third-party vendors that produce different connectors, but I am hoping that OutSystems itself will start to create more innovative connectors or complementary solutions that we will find of use.

We have been using OutSystems in our organization for about one and a half years now.

So far there have been no major issues so I would say it's pretty stable.

We haven't yet reached the level that we need to seriously consider scaling, but from my experience it isn't so easy to scale any kind of closed platform where you start without the source. They may offer you the source later when migrating, but it's generally not so easy to queue up onto another platform or move to another vendor, so I expect that the scalability in this respect might be lower than we would like.

So far, most of our support is coming from internal sectors of our organization. I think it's easy enough to resolve all the issues we come across within the company.

We do use another similar product which isn't very well-known. It's a product from Germany and we use it mainly for internal use in the same way that we use OutSystems.

Comparatively, as a low-code kind of platform, OutSystems is the most intuitive to use, but if you have an experienced programmer in Java and .NET like myself, then the other platform is probably a bit more flexible.

It's basically a simple portal that we developed in-house.

The implementation details really depend on the project and the type of organization. For example, because we are quite a sizeable organization, there are other processes that we need to fulfill in order to maintain compliance before we push our projects to go live. Thus, for us, the full implementation took about six months. Thankfully, the maintenance is pretty low.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend OutSystems, but I would also point out to others that they're not the only product out there that deserves attention.

I would rate OutSystems an eight out of ten.

Other
    Head of Innovation & Projects at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
    Intuitive, simple to use, and effective, but support could be improved
    • "It is easy to use."
    • "In my opinion, the support and the pricing could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We are a financial institution, and our primary credit solution is developed in OutSystems. We have several small apps, not for mobiles, but apps that are developed to support our core business, which is factoring and credit.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

In my opinion, the support and the pricing could be better.

I have been working with OutSystems for seven or eight years.

OutSystems is a stable solution.

OutSystems is scalable.

In terms of the solution, we went through some minor escalations. It was simple to manage. We have also added some redundancy to our app server, which was simple to set up.

Our company is still small, with a staff of about 50 people. I believe ten of them are developers. They develop, operate, administrate all systems platforms and deployed applications. The remainder, are business units.

The SLA should be improved. The response time could be improved.

I can't say for certain that it was simple. It was simple for us. Because I have an experienced manager who manages our team, it was simple for him to set that up.

It took some time because we were building a core banking service system from scratch. What we did in OutSystems, aside from setting up all of the licenses and the platform itself, was that we had help because it was the early days of the company. OutSystems in Portugal assisted us with this. However, because the solution was created from scratch, it takes a long time to deploy it with the business solution.

I manage a development team that develops and maintains DevOps. Within that team of developers, I add one who leads the team that also handles all of the tool's administration.

I believe they are very strict with their pricing platforms, or the pricing policies, and it changes. They have changed it from software units to application objects in recent years, and now it's all free, but you pay for the users.

I believe they should have a better scheme for companies like ours, which are small and could benefit from the platform without paying too much.

The fees are approximately €150,000, €170,000 per year, which is excessive for a company of our size.

We don't have any additional costs, but we did have, within this price we had some, I believe we have some agreements regarding accelerator, to be honest, I don't know off the top of my head.

What other advice do I have?

They should have OutSystems support with the setup and structuring of the best pricing for the goal that they want to assign to the solutions. Because of the pricing, if you want to use OutSystems for self or internal solutions, it would be very different, but it could be very expensive if you want to develop things for the outside, which would require users and business management. I believe they should receive support directly from OutSystems or through a vendor. I'm not sure which is preferable. However, OutSystems support is required for installation.

I would rate OutSystems a seven out of ten.

Somnath-Ghosh - PeerSpot reviewer
    Solution Architect and LowCode Practice Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    It has connectors for different enterprise apps and solid reporting capabilities
    • "The architecture of OutSystems is quite simple, and the features are similar to Mendix's. OutSystems has connectors for different enterprise apps and solid reporting capabilities. You can also integrate with any content management platform like SharePoint or Adobe Enterprise Manager, or something like that. You can also create and integrate workflows."
    • "We'd like OutSystems to add stronger workflow-based automation similar to what Appian offers. It needs more workflow modeling and RPA features."

What is our primary use case?

We use OutSystems for the same purpose as Mendix, but we recommend Mendix for mobile applications and OutSystems for B2C or B2B web portals. OutSystems has strong features for creating web-based portals or eCommerce marketplaces.

Mendix supports Java, while OutSystems supports .NET. We are using the latest versions of OutSystems. We are partnered with Mendix and OutSystems. We have access to their partner portal, so we don't need to worry about developing applications, proofs of concept, or prototypes using OutSystems.

OutSystems has on-premise and cloud versions. It can be deployed on AWS, Azure, or GCP. OutSystems is available as a Platform-as-a-Service, as well. OutSystems can be hosted on Azure, GCP, or AWS, and you can deploy OutSystems components on OutSystems PaaS.

What is most valuable?

The architecture of OutSystems is quite simple, and the features are similar to Mendix's. OutSystems has connectors for different enterprise apps and solid reporting capabilities. You can also integrate with any content management platform like SharePoint or Adobe Enterprise Manager, or something like that. You can also create and integrate workflows.

What needs improvement?

We'd like OutSystems to add stronger workflow-based automation similar to what Appian offers. It needs more workflow modeling and RPA features.

I have been using OutSystems for the last three years.

Like Mendix, OutSystems has a highly scalable and flexible architecture.

We are an OutSystems partner, so I have an excellent rapport with alliance managers and their technical architecture team and technical support. They're incredibly supportive. I rate OutSystems eight out of 10.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We are using almost all the local solutions, including OutSystems, Mendix, Appian, etc.

Setting up OutSystems is straightforward.

OutSystems isn't expensive. It's very similar to the cost of Mendix. If customers have a good relationship with OutSystems or Mendix, they can get a better price. The solutions have a similar pricing model, including licenses for single or multiple users.

What other advice do I have?

I rate OutSystems nine out of 10. OutSystems is the market leader in the local area space on the Gartner Magic Quadrant. As a user, I can say OutSystems is on par with Mendix, and the features are similar, so now it depends on the use case.

For example, some customers prefer Mendix because they have SAP ecosystems, so they will go with Mendix because it offers native SAP support. Mendix has SAP adapters that are all license-free. These are cost reasons people might choose Mendix. However, there are some cases where an SAP might go for OutSystems because the license is a bit cheaper.

Head of Technology & Governance at a government with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Allows for quick application building, but with a hefty price tag to match
    • "We have no complaints surrounding both the scalability and stability of this solution."
    • "The technical features are good, but the actual commercialization is out of reach."

What is our primary use case?

We use OutSystems to analyze disparate applications that are about to become obsolete.

As we currently can't afford it, we are still in the testing and evaluating phase.

What is most valuable?

You can use this solution to build applications very rapidly. It can also easily be deployed on mobile devices and applications as well.

What needs improvement?

The biggest challenge for us is the licensing model and the cost of OutSystems. The apps that we are interested in have a very large user-base and OutSystems drastically ramps those costs up.

I have dealt with this solution for roughly 18 months.

We use ServiceNow for CMDB and ITSM related needs; we don't use ServiceNow for application development, so for us, the two aren't comparable. I don't have any experience with SericveNow's capabilities in that space.

Our team had no issues with the technical side of the initial setup. Ultimately, they were able to create prototypes and build apps really quickly. But I think where we failed was with the commercial side of it, in terms of the licenses and the costs surrounding deployment.

I believe our functional labs were up and running within a couple of days; however, we have not deployed it on a wider scale as we can't afford to.

Our in-house team of one or two people took care of everything.

What other advice do I have?

OutSystems is a good solution, but it's not cheap.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of five. The technical features are good, but the actual commercialization is out of reach.

Master Collator at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Effective, easy to use and set up, great community support but the technical support an price could be improved
    • "We used almost all of the features, themes, styling guide, and approach components. They are useful in our applications."
    • "We had some lagging issues under high data loads, and the solution needed to be customized to improve this."

What is our primary use case?

We use the product for developing applications.

How has it helped my organization?

It improved our output, mostly in the reactive and mobile applications we developed.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Technical support could be better, and out-of-the-box performance could be improved.

We have been using OutSystems for five years.

We had some lagging issues under high data loads, and the solution needed to be customised to improve this.

The solution is scalable.

Technical support would get a three out of five, as there is some wait time involved and some solutions were not adequate. This is an area for improvement.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

We previously used Darknet but switched to OutSystems because it offered some more tools and features.

Setup was easy and there are a lot of forums to help, I would rate it five out of five in that respect.

We had an in-house setup, requiring only one person.

It depends on the use case, but we found the solution to be pretty expensive.

What other advice do I have?

Setup is easy, the solution is also easy to learn and there is a lot of community support on forums to help. Aside from the cost, OutSystems has been good for us. I would rate OutSystems a seven out of ten.

Director of Web Solutions at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
    MSP
    Easy to set up, low maintenance, good support, and it integrates well
    • "The technical support is perfect."
    • "The prices should be lower. It is a little bit too high for a small market."

What is our primary use case?

We are a reseller and OutSystems is one of the products that we provide to our customers.

What is most valuable?

OutSystems allows you to do things really quickly.

This product requires very little maintenance, and it is easy to do as compared to traditional programming solutions.

What needs improvement?

The prices should be lower. It is a little bit too high for a small market.

I began working with OutSystems in 2014.

The stability of this product has been incredible. I would rate it a ten out of ten in this aspect.

We are in a small country and although this is a scalable product, that is not usually an issue for us.

The technical support is perfect.

I would rate the technical support a ten out of ten.

The pricing is an area that needs to be improved.

The subscription is billed on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I recommend for anybody who is digitalizing things. It's an incredible tool and you can do things very quickly. Certainly, you should look into it if you are going to implement any kind of application. Whether it is field service, internal applications, external websites, or something else that is related to the digitalization of processes, and where you have to interact with many systems for integration purposes, this is a good tool.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Download our free OutSystems Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: June 2022