IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Oracle Application Express (APEX) OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Application Express (APEX) is #1 ranked solution in top Development Platforms, #7 ranked solution in top Rapid Application Development Software, and #7 ranked solution in top Low-Code Development Platforms. PeerSpot users give Oracle Application Express (APEX) an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. Oracle Application Express (APEX) is most commonly compared to Microsoft PowerApps: Oracle Application Express (APEX) vs Microsoft PowerApps. Oracle Application Express (APEX) is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 69% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.
Oracle Application Express (APEX) Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Application Express (APEX) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Oracle Application Express (APEX)?

Oracle Application Express (APEX) is a low-code development platform that enables users to build enterprise apps securely and scalably. APEX, which offers world-class features, can be deployed anywhere. As part of the Oracle Database, developers can develop superior apps 20x more quickly by using all of the tools provided in a single, extensible platform.

Oracle APEX, a cloud platform that has been around for over 20 years, eliminates complexities associated with app building while delivering results faster and at a lower cost. The low-code aspect offers developers a visual approach to app development that accelerates the development process. Oracle APEX also provides a lively, global, and growing community of developers that can connect and share resources with each other.

Features of Oracle Application Express (APEX)

App building requires complexities and expert knowledge in vast web technologies. With Oracle APEX, these complexities involved with multi-faceted applications are reduced, and developers are provided with the rich features they need to fix business problems and create solutions. These features include:

• Data: Oracle APEX offers revolutionary functionality to enable developers to turn data into information, no matter where that data is from. Under this functionality, you can display, chart, manipulate, and process data effortlessly and accurately.
  • Accessibility: Developers can build highly accessible and inclusive web apps for users with various abilities and requirements. Oracle APEX aims to provide a good user experience for everybody, with accessibility bug fixes and continuous improvements of their testing strategies.
  • Globalization: Oracle APEX provides the ability to create a framework to maintain well-performing applications in multiple languages and environments.
  • Smart Filters and Search: users can rapidly reduce searched data and remove clutter with search terms and filter suggestions for a more simplified user experience.
  • Security: Oracle APEX empowers web application builders to develop apps without compromising on security. Despite the constant increase of attacks and modification of web standards, developers can stay focused on their tasks without leaving applications exposed.
  • Monitoring: Monitoring and logging are built into Oracle APEX, which provides valuable insight into how users interact with your applications, as well as any hacking attempts, application errors, and performance issues.
  • User Interface: Developers can build modern web applications that are responsive, easily customizable, highly accessible, and simple to maintain with Universal Theme, a user interface for Application Express.

Reviews from Real Users

Oracle Application Express is a favorite among developers looking to create web applications quickly and securely for many reasons, which include its ease of use and the ability to quickly create public applications

A senior database developer at a tech services company notes, "This is a good application for quickly creating public applications."

Alvaro L., an intelligence coordinator at Grupo Orbis, writes, "Oracle Application Express is easy to use, people don't have to be developers to use it."

Oracle Application Express (APEX) was previously known as Oracle APEX.

Oracle Application Express (APEX) Customers

Hepart AG, pharmasol, SATLOG, Collège Bois-de-Boulogne

Oracle Application Express (APEX) Video

Archived Oracle Application Express (APEX) Reviews (more than two years old)

Krishnan Ambady - PeerSpot reviewer
Founder and Technical Director at a tech vendor with 1-10 employees
Stable, easy to set up, and easy to use
  • "The most valuable feature is the ease of use."
  • "Better connection and integration with non-Oracle databases is needed."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is to develop secure applications for the Oracle Database. It is like an administrator for data processing functions.

How has it helped my organization?

This product allows us to manage our data processing using simple screens.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease of use.

The user interface is not complex.

What needs improvement?

Workflow capabilities should be added.

Better connection and integration with non-Oracle databases is needed.

Oracle Application Express (APEX)
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Application Express (APEX). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
620,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using Oracle APEX for the past four to five years.

We have not had a problem where it has crashed. However, it may be that our application is not complex enough.

We have approximately eight people using Oracle APEX. At this point, we are trying to reduce our usage.

I have not personally been in contact with technical support.

We did use another similar product before implementing APEX.

The initial setup is not very complex. Our deployment took four or five months.

A consultant assisted us with implementation and deployment.

We are currently in the process of migrating from APEX to Microsoft PowerApps.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing APEX is to use the default parameters and do not do anything that is customized.

Muhammad_Bilal - PeerSpot reviewer
Specialist EHR Implementation at siut
Works like a rapid application development concept so it's a big time saver for clients
  • "Efficient software delivery and a solution that works quickly."
  • "Reporting needs to be accessed via third party tools."

What is our primary use case?

Our company developed several health care portals where patients can go and find doctors and things like that. We are now testing whether we can shift a few things from the previous alignment tool which is managed by our data service team. We work on small projects and have around 50 users. We're customers of Oracle and I'm an EHR implementation specialist.

What is most valuable?

This solution is like a rapid application development concept. Given that it's all about time and everything happens within a much shorter time span, it makes for efficient software delivery and a good product. If the client is happy, I'm happy.

What needs improvement?

I think Apex is like many similar tools that are currently available. If you want specific reports, you have to implement third party tools. It would make a big difference if the reporting was included in the product so that we wouldn't need to get it from third parties.

I've been using this solution for 18 months.

The solution is very stable.

Apex is still evolving and we initially had scalability issues. You can't make large applications with the limitations we had, but you can make small apps really fast, if you have the extra backup.

We haven't had to use technical support, we track our own flow.

The initial setup was a little complex. You have to run some steps on it. That said, deployment took maybe an hour or two. We have minimal maintenance requirements. If there's an issue you just look back at the cache but most of the time it's okay.

What other advice do I have?

Apex is a great tool, you can use it for your regular business affairs and it's a very productive solution with great features. I really appreciate the people who created it.

Oracle Application Express (APEX)
July 2022
620,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Age Van Den Berg - PeerSpot reviewer
Developer at Watronix Information Technology Ltd
Easy to make a user-friendly interface and is quite stable

What is our primary use case?

We make software for municipals.

What is most valuable?

It's fairly easy to make a user-friendly interface.

What needs improvement?

It has a bit of a strict framework, you have to make all the time adjustments in their JavaScript. Another downside is that it's only available for Oracle databases.

I have been working with Oracle APEX for a year now.

It is quite stable.

Scalability will depend on your database.

I don't have any experience with their support.

As a developer, I used to work with Delphix which was a little different.

The installation is quite difficult. Because somehow it doesn't work if you begin with a clean installation. It's much easier to use it with the cloud setup or do a box. If you want to install it from scratch, then it's a bit difficult.

Oracle is very expensive. Too expensive in my opinion.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to someone considering this solution is to look into older applications.

I would rate Oracle APEX an eight out of ten.

Head of Development and Implementation at a pharma/biotech company with 201-500 employees
Powerful development assistance can dramatically speed your production and deployment time
  • "This product will speed up development time with helpful production aids."
  • "Being able to only design with HTML and CSS can be limiting as to what can be accomplished."

What is our primary use case?

I use the solution for creating a lot of applications and functions. In my company, we need a lot of forms, a lot of queries and a lot of reports, and I must develop these things very fast. Oracle APEX makes it very easy to do fast development. For example, I can quickly build a financial report, a product report and I can use it for quickly creating approval workflows. Oracle APEX helps a great deal with these tasks.

How has it helped my organization?

I started to develop all of the reports my company needs in Oracle APEX. Because the APEX product has a lot of features like automating chart and graph creation, depending on what you want to do, you can easily assemble reports. Another thing that is very helpful is the easy creation of forms for approval and approval workflows. For example, when you must get approval from a manager something, you can easily create the form and the manager can receive it a mobile device and you can get approval for anything quickly. It is helpful for speeding along the process of development.

What is most valuable?

The first feature that I think is very important is that the product is able to safely deploy on the web. You can develop any application and you can share it on the web without any installation by the end client. The second-best option in Oracle APEX is that it is very easy and very fast. You can quickly create forms and reports and in the reports feature there are a lot of options to help complete tasks. In some ways, it is the same as in Microsoft Excel. You can create charts or create almost anything that has the same features as Excel and it will be immediately available for the end client to use it.

What needs improvement?

In APEX, they changed the layout which is good because in earlier versions it was a little difficult. In Oracle APEX 18 and 19 it is very much improved and I think it is much better for the improvements. Things are easier to use. For example, when I want to change a form field, form button and anything else on a form, the layout of the product now makes it easier. They could continue to make improvements like this.

I think I only have one problem that I can think of with Oracle APEX in the layout. I can create a cool and beautiful layout. But there are times I want to change something, but I only can use CSS and HTML. Sometimes this makes it so I am not able to accomplish what I want exactly. I think it is better to keep changes to the layout in Oracle APEX only, not use any additional things because something might go wrong. It would be nice if APEX supported Java and everything sold with Java capability.

We have been using the solution for six or seven years.

We don't need to use the Oracle technical support because there is a lot of good information in the Oracle APEX forum. We can use the area to resolve the problems that we run into and there is no need to connect to the technical support and wait for a response.

To learn more about APEX, I use websites, a lot of forums and books. I have a lot of books on the internet and I read and use them. On YouTube, there are a lot of videos for learning about Oracle APEX and other Oracle products. It is a good resource.

I remember the first installation and that time the installation was a little difficult and maybe even very complex. But after maybe 10 or 15 installations now, it is very easy because I know the product better. After gaining some experience, it is very easy.

What was a little difficult the first time is that you must create the network on the database. You must create a different tablespace. After installation, you must use the WebLogic server to launch Oracle APEX form. Then you set the web service and then create WebLogic services. There are a lot of steps there and it is a little different and a bit difficult when you have not had the experience.

When creating projects it might take five or six months for a big production. But I have also completed some products in only two weeks of development.

It is very different for different projects. The project that took only two weeks for developing was because of the size of the project. It was small and I only had five or six forms to build. On the big project that took six months for development, it was because there were a lot of forms, a lot of objects and the project was a lot more complicated.

We are doing all the deployment and deployment on our own. I have a team in my company of four people who are experts in Oracle APEX and we help each other. We don't need to seek outside the company.

Even with four in the team, a small project it could be that one person is enough to complete it. Two different projects will not be the same. In my company, I am involved with different departments. I have a database department and development department. I'm in the development department and the use of resources for big projects will depend what has to be done and what expertise is needed. In one big project, I used a five-person team and also needed two DBAs to help them.

In my country I don't pay any license fees for Oracle APEX. Oracle APEX is a free license, but only Oracle APEX. The database and other products you need to go with it have a licensing fee.

As far as additional costs, there are a lot of patches that we needed on the database and I think a lot of additional costs for peripheral things.

What other advice do I have?

I think it's a very good solution for developing web applications. It's very easy to expand the web application and have strong security in the functionality and availability on the Oracle APEX. I think if some company chooses Oracle APEX as a solution, it's a better base for any web development.

On a scale from one to ten, where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate APEX as absolutely a 10. When I started to work in my company they solved a lot of problems for creating a small application, a small form for reporting for anything by using Oracle APEX. Now that I use Oracle APEX I think it is the best solution for my development.

Rapid development of portable applications including professional-grade GUIs

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is web-based applications built on an Oracle database backend. It is suitable for applications from small proofs of concept to enterprise-scale.

How has it helped my organization?

Extreme rapid application development. Allows existing Oracle knowledge base to be utilized for building web applications.

What is most valuable?

This solution offers declarative, low-code development. Improves delivery speed, accuracy, and performance.

It provides attractive GUIs allowing professionally-styled applications without the need to know HTML, CSS, or JavaScript.

Portability: It can be easily moved to other environments.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see tighter integration with the Oracle Cloud Infrastructure.

I have been using this solution for nineteen years.
it_user515487 - PeerSpot reviewer
Principal Data Architect at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
It is easy to learn and implement. I would like to see more flexibility and productivity.

What is most valuable?

The valuable feature is simplicity. It is easy to learn and implement.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more flexibility and productivity.

We have been using this for two years.

There were no issues with deployment.

There were no issues with stability.

There were no issues with scalability.

Senior Software Engineer at Viscosity North America
Not yet well received from developers because they think it is not mature. From my experience, I think it is just like any other NBC framework that is out there.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature is how fast you can do applications compared to other frameworks, like Java and PHP. It will take you three times longer to do what you can do in Apex. You don’t have to cut through a lot of layers to get to the data in your database with Apex.

Improvements to My Organization

From a cost perspective, you can use less resources to build applications. Time to market is another improvement, because you can make applications very quickly. We used to create a NBC project with another framework and write our own modules to access the data, but Apex gives you access to data in your database in a more straightforward way.

Room for Improvement

From a technical perspective, Apex is not yet well received from developers because they think it is not mature. From my experience, I think it is just like any other NBC framework that is out there. The approach is a little bit different, and it is a different part line, but you can still achieve the same stuff.

There are some improvements that could make Apex more robust as well, like integration with third party frameworks in order to have more components. They give you a stock of components that are enough to create a range of applications, but if you need more complex features or are creating something for end users or commercial users you have to build your own. However, being able to create your own features is another advantage.

I’ve never had to open a ticket. I’m familiar with web technologies so sometimes when I find an issue I just know how to resolve it myself, but the Oracle forums are very responsive and used by a large community of people. It is a strong environment, particularly because not everyone can submit a ticket since you need an account with access to the ticketing system in order to have Oracle look into an issue for you.

Apex is already installed in your database, so you kill a lot of steps in that. If Oracle Database is already installed, you pretty much just need to execute one line of code and you will be up and running. It is very straightforward.

Other Advice

If you are looking for performance and speed for your application, I would choose Apex. I would rate it a seven out of ten.

it_user486555 - PeerSpot reviewer
Physical Scientist at a government

Valuable Features

The most valuable features are the ease with which data can be accessed and the improvements that have made the front-end look like a real application. The graphing plug-ins are really good as well.

Room for Improvement

We are excited that they are going to go into the web service world to make the rest of the APIs available. We have been looking for master detail, but that is has been improved quite a bit. Nothing is perfect though.

Use of Solution

I have been using the product for eight years.

It has been consistently stable. We have not had any issues with it.

So far it has met our needs and we hope that it will continue to do so. At the end of the summer, we are moving a flex application to APEX that will be released in August. It will have about four hundred users.

I have never personally talked to tech support, but we have had conversations with the consulting folks about some of the rack solutions for improving data expansion. From my understanding, tech support is very good.

It is always fun having to do the Oracle patches. Our DBAs handle all that, but it does affect us as far as having to take systems down to do the upgrades, which gets a little frustrating. It's manageable though. They take about an hour or two.

Other Advice

It is a free product. Install it and start having fun. APEX out of the box is pretty good and very easy to get started. You can get your data out in five minutes. I’d give it an eight out of ten.

it_user486540 - PeerSpot reviewer
CEO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It's fast, centralized and easy to use.

Valuable Features:

Apex is part of your database. Everything, program logic included, is happening directly where data is, so it's fast, it's centralized and it's easy to use. It's declarative.

Improvements to My Organization:

Apex can help you centralize many things. You can replace spreadsheets that are being sent back and forth with Apex, for example. It increases efficiencies and reduces man-hours.

Room for Improvement:

Apex runs in a browser, so using the latest technology, like push notifications, would be good. It could also have better connections and better reporting in terms of getting files out of it. It could create a PDF rather than just showing data on the screen.

Stability Issues:

This is definitely a tool that is stable, and you can use it even in point zero versions.

Scalability Issues:

It simply scales with the database. There are absolutely no problems with scalability.

Initial Setup:

It is a really straightforward deployment. You just run a script and then copy a directory of files to a server. It's probably the easiest tool that Oracle provides.

Other Advice:

I wouldn’t recommend an official training by Oracle. They are too long and expensive; however, there is tons of information on the web, many books, and a lot of third party trainers that run reduced versions of the introductory seminars. Apex even provides a two-day tutorial that I think is pretty good. It shows you the basic concepts like how to use the tool and what is available.

Senior Software Engineer at Viscosity North America
The most valuable feature is how fast you can do applications compared to other frameworks. From a technical perspective, APEX is not yet well received with developers.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature is how fast you can do applications compared to other frameworks, like Java and PHP. It will take you three times longer to do what you can do in APEX. You don’t have to cut through a lot of layers to get to the data in your database with APEX.

Improvements to My Organization

From a cost perspective, you can use less resources to build applications. Time to market is another improvement, because you can make applications very quickly. We used to create a project with another framework and write our own modules to access the data, but APEX gives you access to data in your database in a more straightforward way.

Room for Improvement

From a technical perspective, APEX is not yet well received from developers because they think it is not mature. From my experience, I think it is just like any other framework that is out there. The approach is a little bit different, and it is a different part line, but you can still achieve the same stuff.

There are some improvements that could make APEX more robust as well, like integration with third party frameworks in order to have more components. They give you a stock of components that are enough to create a range of applications, but if you need more complex features or are creating something for end users or commercial users you have to build your own. However, being able to create your own features is another advantage.

APEX is already installed in your database, so you kill a lot of steps in that. If Oracle Database is already installed, you pretty much just need to execute one line of code and you will be up and running. It is very straightforward.

Other Advice

If you are looking for performance and speed for your application, I would choose APEX. I would rate it a seven out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partners
Download our free Oracle Application Express (APEX) Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: July 2022