We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Bulent BASIM
Managing Partner & Oracle ERP Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
A customizable web-based software development solution
  • "I like how we can actively develop and customize APEX because it's on the same database."
  • "I don't like the URL syntax."

What is our primary use case?

We use Oracle Application Express (APEX) to integrate solutions with E-Business Suites.

What is most valuable?

I like how we can actively develop and customize APEX because it's on the same database. We use all the E-Business Suite custom environment features in APEX. We use it because developers can fully leverage it. For example, in Oracle Application Framework, you have a download time of about half an hour before deployment. But there's no deployment time in APEX. You can see it after refreshing the page.

What needs improvement?

I don't like the URL syntax—for example, the parameters in the URL for the pages. If there are any parameters, all the users see all the parameter names. This may require some caching. The UI could be improved as well. Sometimes, based on the customization, load balancing isn't running behind the F5.

We've been using Oracle applications for about three years.

APEX is a stable product.

APEX is scalable. We have two deployments, two of them behind a local APEX and another in Turkey. The installation is on the local area network. We got three servers that run on the APEX and an APEX installation on a single database in a lab.

There's a technical team, but I install APEX by myself.

We have a full Oracle E-Business Suite license, and we use that license to develop applications. There's no license required for developing Oracle applications. It's just for the Oracle development tools we use until the final product is ready.

What other advice do I have?

The forums are quick, and I follow those to lookup features, and I just recall it. I follow all the online seminars and that was enough for me.

There are some restrictions when using this product, but it can be valuable for developing and integrated with E-Business Suite. Because in some instances, some tools aren't available in the E-Business Suite environment.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Oracle Application Express (APEX) an eight.

Mike Moxcey
Computer Specialist at a government with 10,001+ employees
Good design features, easy to use, straightforward and easy to deploy
  • "I like the way that it automatically goes into the spreadsheets and the users can deal with it."
  • "There is not a lot of Wiki help or in Google, but there is some."

What is our primary use case?

We have several projects with 200 to 300 users.

It is used by developers, building applications for people who want to track things in spreadsheets.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable part of this solution is the database design features. We are able to create tables and prototypes for people during design meetings.

The use of the platform seems straightforward.

It's easy to use.

What needs improvement?

There is not a lot of Wiki help or in Google, but there is some.

I have been working with Oracle Application Express (APEX) for a year.

We are still on version 5.1. We are trying to upgrade and move to the cloud.

It seems pretty stable.

This is an area of concern, as we are not sure. We have not explored its scalability.

We have the source code in the database and also produce the forms at the same time.

I don't believe that it is a problem. In most of our use cases, we are either going to have small amounts of people and small amounts of data.

We have many different teams using it in different areas. For example, we have a big glassware ordering team that uses it, a national management team that uses it to schedule groups and managing programs or agricultural programs. There are nine or ten different teams.

I was not a part of the installation, but it is straightforward when deploying the updates.

We have a team of three or four developers and one admin to maintain this solution.

There is a trial version available that can be used free of charge.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest trying it for free on the web to see how well it works. You start with the free version, which is version 5.,1 and it's really good. Once you download it and implement it, you have the newest version.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Oracle Application Express (APEX). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
563,208 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Alvaro Lozada
Coordinador de inteligencia empresarial at Grupo Orbis
Rapid deployment, good support, and highly scalable
  • "Oracle Application Express is easy to use, people don't have to be developers to use it."
  • "Some of the application interfaces of Oracle Application Express are not very attractive and could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are using one application developed in APEX for COVID information control, and all our employees are reporting the symptoms.

What is most valuable?

Oracle Application Express is easy to use, people don't have to be developers to use it.

What needs improvement?

Some of the application interfaces of Oracle Application Express are not very attractive and could be improved.

I have been using Oracle Application Express for approximately two years.

Oracle Application Express is highly scalable. We are running it on Oracle RAC with a 60-terabyte database and we dedicate one schema for the user databases. In the database, we are running Oracle Business Suite and APEX, it is running very well.

We have approximately 1,000 people using this solution in my organization. Many of them are analysts and business users.

We plan to increase the usage of the solution.

The technical support has been good.

We previously were using Java deployments, but it was difficult to maintain standards for the applications. We are using, access development desktop databases. Every department used different people for the applications and different standards.

The installation is simple and the time it took was approximately two weeks.

I did the implementation of the solution myself.

We have approximately three technicians and two engineers that do the maintenance of the solution.

We have an Oracle basic product license, and then we can use Oracle APEX for free. We have many licenses for Oracle for approximately 20 processors.

We have evaluated other options before choosing Oracle Application Express.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle Application Express it's a very good solution for many use cases. It can be deployed rapidly and I highly recommend it for the replacement of users' databases, such as Access.

I rate Oracle Application Express a nine out of ten.

Muhammad_Bilal
Specialist EHR Implementation at siut
Works like a rapid application development concept so it's a big time saver for clients
  • "Efficient software delivery and a solution that works quickly."
  • "Reporting needs to be accessed via third party tools."

What is our primary use case?

Our company developed several health care portals where patients can go and find doctors and things like that. We are now testing whether we can shift a few things from the previous alignment tool which is managed by our data service team. We work on small projects and have around 50 users. We're customers of Oracle and I'm an EHR implementation specialist.

What is most valuable?

This solution is like a rapid application development concept. Given that it's all about time and everything happens within a much shorter time span, it makes for efficient software delivery and a good product. If the client is happy, I'm happy.

What needs improvement?

I think Apex is like many similar tools that are currently available. If you want specific reports, you have to implement third party tools. It would make a big difference if the reporting was included in the product so that we wouldn't need to get it from third parties.

I've been using this solution for 18 months.

The solution is very stable.

Apex is still evolving and we initially had scalability issues. You can't make large applications with the limitations we had, but you can make small apps really fast, if you have the extra backup.

We haven't had to use technical support, we track our own flow.

The initial setup was a little complex. You have to run some steps on it. That said, deployment took maybe an hour or two. We have minimal maintenance requirements. If there's an issue you just look back at the cache but most of the time it's okay.

What other advice do I have?

Apex is a great tool, you can use it for your regular business affairs and it's a very productive solution with great features. I really appreciate the people who created it.

Engineer at a university with 10,001+ employees
Great tool with simple architecture for fast webpage deployment
  • "Oracle APEX allows our company to complete webpage projects easily in a fast turnaround time."
  • "Occasionally when trying to un a page, I would be faced with an error number; however, not much information would be provided on the error itself outside of the programming language. It would be nice if more information could be provided."

What is our primary use case?

I used this to deploy some web pages. It did not have a difficult or complex architecture.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

Oracle's simplicity is the most valuable aspect. You are able to deploy simple websites that have several pages easily. Minimal consideration is required for design. You can just make a few configurations and your website is ready to use. It is as quick as making the coffee.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for two months.

Due to sanctions, many users in Iran are not able to access support. For those who can, it is not an easy process.

Before the Oracle APEX, we used the traditional tool or write your web page by PHP, HTML, etc. And as a database, we used to use MySQL, Cassandra, and other options. I don't know why the company decided to use Oracle APEX.

As a programmer, the setup was very easy. I do not know what the setup looks like for database administrators.

I do not think this would be an ideal option for a small sized company or a startup when considering the salary requirements for Oracle DBA'a and developers.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle APEX would be great for a big company and with a strong client base where project web pages are needed as soon as possible. The product reduces the time to market for your product and you can write websites by different configurations.

Overall, I would rate the product an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
Krishnan Ambady
Founder and Technical Director at a tech vendor with 1-10 employees
Stable, easy to set up, and easy to use
  • "The most valuable feature is the ease of use."
  • "Better connection and integration with non-Oracle databases is needed."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is to develop secure applications for the Oracle Database. It is like an administrator for data processing functions.

How has it helped my organization?

This product allows us to manage our data processing using simple screens.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease of use.

The user interface is not complex.

What needs improvement?

Workflow capabilities should be added.

Better connection and integration with non-Oracle databases is needed.

I have been using Oracle APEX for the past four to five years.

We have not had a problem where it has crashed. However, it may be that our application is not complex enough.

We have approximately eight people using Oracle APEX. At this point, we are trying to reduce our usage.

I have not personally been in contact with technical support.

We did use another similar product before implementing APEX.

The initial setup is not very complex. Our deployment took four or five months.

A consultant assisted us with implementation and deployment.

We are currently in the process of migrating from APEX to Microsoft PowerApps.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing APEX is to use the default parameters and do not do anything that is customized.

Age Van Den Berg
Developer at Watronix Information Technology Ltd
Easy to make a user-friendly interface and is quite stable

What is our primary use case?

We make software for municipals.

What is most valuable?

It's fairly easy to make a user-friendly interface.

What needs improvement?

It has a bit of a strict framework, you have to make all the time adjustments in their JavaScript. Another downside is that it's only available for Oracle databases.

I have been working with Oracle APEX for a year now.

It is quite stable.

Scalability will depend on your database.

I don't have any experience with their support.

As a developer, I…

What is our primary use case?

We make software for municipals.

What is most valuable?

It's fairly easy to make a user-friendly interface.

What needs improvement?

I have been working with Oracle APEX for a year now.

It is quite stable.

Scalability will depend on your database.

I don't have any experience with their support.

As a developer, I used to work with Delphix which was a little different.

The installation is quite difficult. Because somehow it doesn't work if you begin with a clean installation. It's much easier to use it with the cloud setup or do a box. If you want to install it from scratch, then it's a bit difficult.

Oracle is very expensive. Too expensive in my opinion.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to someone considering this solution is to look into older applications.

I would rate Oracle APEX an eight out of ten.

FernandoPerez
General manager at Temporis Latin America Spa
Helpful for quick development and has good stability, scalability, and support

What is our primary use case?

We are developing an operational excellence platform.

What is most valuable?

Quick development and the connection with the database are the most valuable and useful features. It is also very stable, scalable, and easy to set up. Its support is also good.

What needs improvement?

It should have the functionality to develop mobile applications. It would also be good if they can improve development in videos and other formats.

I have been using this solution for one year.

Its stability is good.

It has good scalability. We have 10 developers and 150 users.

How are customer service and technical

What is our primary use case?

We are developing an operational excellence platform.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for one year.

Its stability is good.

It has good scalability. We have 10 developers and 150 users.

Their technical support is good.

It is easy to set up. The deployment duration depends on the complexity, but in general, if your requirements are clear, it takes a couple of days.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would rate Oracle Application Express (APEX) an eight out of ten.

Download our free Oracle Application Express (APEX) Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.