Oracle Application Express (APEX) OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Application Express (APEX) is the #1 ranked solution in top Development Platforms, #7 ranked solution in top Low-Code Development Platforms, and #8 ranked solution in top Rapid Application Development Software. PeerSpot users give Oracle Application Express (APEX) an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Oracle Application Express (APEX) is most commonly compared to Microsoft Power Apps: Oracle Application Express (APEX) vs Microsoft Power Apps. Oracle Application Express (APEX) is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 69% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 19% of all views.
Oracle Application Express (APEX) Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Application Express (APEX) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Oracle Application Express (APEX)?

Oracle Application Express (APEX) is a low-code development platform that enables users to build enterprise apps securely and scalably. APEX, which offers world-class features, can be deployed anywhere. As part of the Oracle Database, developers can develop superior apps 20x more quickly by using all of the tools provided in a single, extensible platform.

Oracle APEX, a cloud platform that has been around for over 20 years, eliminates complexities associated with app building while delivering results faster and at a lower cost. The low-code aspect offers developers a visual approach to app development that accelerates the development process. Oracle APEX also provides a lively, global, and growing community of developers that can connect and share resources with each other.

Features of Oracle Application Express (APEX)

App building requires complexities and expert knowledge in vast web technologies. With Oracle APEX, these complexities involved with multi-faceted applications are reduced, and developers are provided with the rich features they need to fix business problems and create solutions. These features include:

• Data: Oracle APEX offers revolutionary functionality to enable developers to turn data into information, no matter where that data is from. Under this functionality, you can display, chart, manipulate, and process data effortlessly and accurately.
  • Accessibility: Developers can build highly accessible and inclusive web apps for users with various abilities and requirements. Oracle APEX aims to provide a good user experience for everybody, with accessibility bug fixes and continuous improvements of their testing strategies.
  • Globalization: Oracle APEX provides the ability to create a framework to maintain well-performing applications in multiple languages and environments.
  • Smart Filters and Search: users can rapidly reduce searched data and remove clutter with search terms and filter suggestions for a more simplified user experience.
  • Security: Oracle APEX empowers web application builders to develop apps without compromising on security. Despite the constant increase of attacks and modification of web standards, developers can stay focused on their tasks without leaving applications exposed.
  • Monitoring: Monitoring and logging are built into Oracle APEX, which provides valuable insight into how users interact with your applications, as well as any hacking attempts, application errors, and performance issues.
  • User Interface: Developers can build modern web applications that are responsive, easily customizable, highly accessible, and simple to maintain with Universal Theme, a user interface for Application Express.

Reviews from Real Users

Oracle Application Express is a favorite among developers looking to create web applications quickly and securely for many reasons, which include its ease of use and the ability to quickly create public applications

A senior database developer at a tech services company notes, "This is a good application for quickly creating public applications."

Alvaro L., an intelligence coordinator at Grupo Orbis, writes, "Oracle Application Express is easy to use, people don't have to be developers to use it."

Oracle Application Express (APEX) was previously known as Oracle APEX.

Oracle Application Express (APEX) Customers

Hepart AG, pharmasol, SATLOG, Collège Bois-de-Boulogne

Oracle Application Express (APEX) Video

Oracle Application Express (APEX) Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Oracle Application Express (APEX) pricing:
  • "To my understanding, my organization is using the free version of Oracle Application Express (APEX), but I'm unsure because I haven't checked the pricing or licensing cost for it."
  • "When you have a licensed database in an Oracle environment, APEX is free."
  • "It's a free solution with no additional costs."
  • "Oracle Application Express (APEX) comes with Oracle. The Oracle price itself. I do not know the exact cost. Oracle is flexible on its price. If you overspend on your hardware, then I don't think you will overpay. I heard that Oracle is more expensive than other databases, but when you consider Oracle is the best traditional relational database out there. You get what you pay for."
  • "Pricing is expensive, overall on an enterprise system but we consider that it gives corresponding value in the product."
  • Oracle Application Express (APEX) Reviews

Imtiaz  Ahmad - PeerSpot reviewer
    System Administrator at Wellness One Day Surgery Center
    Doesn't require hard coding for reports and builds, and is user-friendly, but its integration with other solutions and slow downloading of reports could be improved
    • "What I like best about Oracle Application Express (APEX) is that it doesn't require hard coding for reporting and building applications. It's a GUI-based application builder that even end-users with little development and language knowledge can develop applications on Oracle Application Express (APEX). The software is also very user-friendly, which I find valuable."
    • "An area for improvement in Oracle Application Express (APEX) is the slow reporting because pulling the report for two months, one year, three years, etc., is very slow. It takes more than thirty minutes to download the report. There's also room for improvement in integrating Oracle Application Express (APEX) with other vendors, such as open-source solutions through API integration. I believe Oracle is working on this feature, or the issue could be because my organization is using an older version of Oracle Application Express (APEX). The Oracle database also has to be improved because it's still lacking in some packages, triggers, and indexes."

What is our primary use case?

My organization's primary use case for Oracle Application Express (APEX) is application development, as it's an Oracle builder software so that you can develop applications on it for the Oracle database.

The application developed on Oracle Application Express (APEX) is used for patient registrations, clinical documentation, and electronic medical records. It's also used for insurance purposes, billing claims, and coding. The finance team also uses the application that's on Oracle Application Express (APEX) for reporting, and the marketing team uses it for the CRM that's been developed by my organization. The nursing and doctor teams also have modules on Oracle Application Express (APEX), so in terms of use cases, it's used by different departments of my organization.

What is most valuable?

What I like best about Oracle Application Express (APEX) is that it doesn't require hard coding for reporting and building applications. It's a GUI-based application builder that even end-users with little development and language knowledge can develop applications on Oracle Application Express (APEX). The software is also very user-friendly, which I find valuable.

What needs improvement?

Process or workflow automation is a feature I'd like to see in the next version of Oracle Application Express (APEX). My organization has a lot of processes because the patient has to click a button to trigger a consultation with the doctor, so if the process is automated, that will make Oracle Application Express (APEX) better for my organization.

I've been using Oracle Application Express (APEX) for eight years, but I'm not a developer. I'm just a front-end support person.

Oracle Application Express (APEX)
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Oracle Application Express (APEX). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    656,862 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Oracle Application Express (APEX) isn't a reliable solution, at least the current version used in my organization. You must monitor it every day or every two days because it can be down anytime. My organization has a daily backup for it and even sets up emergency servers because the server has downtime for thirty minutes to one hour, or randomly, once or twice a month.

Oracle Application Express (APEX) can't seem to handle the user requests sent to the server, so the server was upgraded, but this could be because it's an old version, and if my organization upgrades to the new version of Oracle Application Express (APEX), maybe it'll sort out the stability issue.

Oracle Application Express (APEX) isn't a scalable solution because my team had to check a workaround to be able to scale it. For example, if the database reaches 80% or if it has a lot of users in one day, there's no scalability option for those instances.

I haven't tried contacting the technical support for Oracle Application Express (APEX) because a different team contacts Oracle support.

Oracle Application Express (APEX) is very easy to deploy. I deployed it on my new branch, and it only took me five to six hours to complete the deployment.

I implemented Oracle Application Express (APEX) for a new branch, so the implementation was in-house.

To my understanding, my organization is using the free version of Oracle Application Express (APEX), but I'm unsure because I haven't checked the pricing or licensing cost for it.

My organization was new to the business when it decided to use Oracle Application Express (APEX). Management realized there was a better solution that was also Oracle-based, without the issues encountered by Oracle Application Express (APEX). Hence, there's a plan to switch to the other Oracle solution next year in the first quarter.

What other advice do I have?

I work in the healthcare sector, and the EMR system I'm using is developed on Oracle Application Express (APEX). My organization also uses Microsoft 365, but just the basic version for exchange purposes.

I'm a user of Oracle Application Express (APEX). I'm using a very old version of Oracle Application Express (APEX), version 4.2.

I'd advise anyone looking into using Oracle Application Express (APEX) to try the new version of the solution rather than the old version because the new version is good. Oracle has updated the forms and reports in the latest version and integrated many APIs for open-source solutions. The new version of Oracle Application Express (APEX) is more advanced than the older version because it now has SQL server compatibility, so I recommend it.

My rating for Oracle Application Express (APEX) is six out of ten, particularly for the current version used in my organization, as it has a lot of issues, but as I've said, it's an old version that needs to be updated to the latest one.

My organization is an Oracle customer.

Ganesh Gurudu - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Software Developer at Cegal
    Secure with a straightforward setup and has good features, but can be a little complicated for less experienced users, and is more suited for smaller scale projects
    • "What's most valuable in Oracle Application Express (APEX) is its secure coding functionality, and the solution also has good features."
    • "I've experienced some difficulties when using Oracle Application Express (APEX), particularly when I'm designing forms. For example, when I design a form, I add buttons and controls, but I'm unable to visualize how it'll look unless I run it. You want to design and do things your way, but if you don't have much experience, then you'll find that designing in Oracle Application Express (APEX) is a little complicated. This won't be a problem with anyone more experienced, though. If I wanted to create my design, for example, a different table format or some background images, it becomes a problem, and this is an area for improvement in Oracle Application Express (APEX). Designing should be easier, even for less experienced users. An additional feature I'd like to see in Oracle Application Express (APEX) is more plugins, particularly a repository that contains a lot of plugins, so you can go to that repository and download whichever you like and use it or add it to your project. Right now, I create my plugins, so it would be helpful if Oracle Application Express (APEX) has a repository of plugins people can use, download from anywhere in the world, and integrate into projects."

What is our primary use case?

Oracle Application Express (APEX) is being used in customer companies. My company is a consultant for the solution.

What is most valuable?

What's most valuable in Oracle Application Express (APEX) is its secure coding functionality, and the solution also has good features.

What needs improvement?

I've experienced some difficulties when using Oracle Application Express (APEX), particularly when I'm designing forms. For example, when I design a form, I add buttons and controls, but I'm unable to visualize how it'll look unless I run it. You want to design and do things your way, but if you don't have much experience, then you'll find that designing in Oracle Application Express (APEX) is a little complicated. This won't be a problem with anyone more experienced, though.

If I wanted to create my design, for example, a different table format or some background images, it becomes a problem, and this is an area for improvement in Oracle Application Express (APEX). Designing should be easier, even for less experienced users.

An additional feature I'd like to see in Oracle Application Express (APEX) is more plugins, particularly a repository that contains a lot of plugins, so you can go to that repository and download whichever you like and use it or add it to your project. Right now, I create my plugins, so it would be helpful if Oracle Application Express (APEX) has a repository of plugins people can use, download from anywhere in the world, and integrate into projects.

I've worked with Oracle Application Express (APEX) for the new project for the last three months. I  work in DevOps, and my team is currently going through the new release, version 21.1, and focusing on the new BPM and also a lot of other upgrades.

Oracle Application Express (APEX) is stable, but twice I faced JavaScript errors when I used the sample application. JavaScript normally works, but when I do a lot of exhaustive usage of the grid, controls, and sorting, the solution hangs or becomes stuck. It won't do anything unless you refresh the page, so I have to refresh the entire page, then restart it. I have to reset Oracle Application Express (APEX).

Oracle Application Express (APEX) is scalable and you can grow it, but its UI gets a little bit complicated. The solution is comparable to Visual Studio and Eclipse, where you don't need to install anything because you can just use it on a browser, but if you're into enterprise-level applications or higher-level applications, you have to look at the bigger picture, and this means that if Oracle Application Express (APEX) has a studio or proper ID'ing, it can go huge potentially.

I didn't contact technical support that much because, in the last three months, my team handled issues on its own. Right now, there's no need for technical support for Oracle Application Express (APEX), but soon, my team might need to contact support.

The initial setup for Oracle Application Express (APEX) was very straightforward. I didn't find any problems with setting it up.

I worked on other .NET-focused solutions as well as JAVA-focused solutions, and I'd recommend Oracle Application Express (APEX) for small-scale projects. It's okay for the enterprise level or if you want to develop big applications, but it could be very difficult, though I didn't explore the solution much, I feel that for big applications or enterprise applications, it could be a little challenging.

Oracle Application Express (APEX) can be suitable for enterprise-level applications, but that would require a lot of work and a lot of effort to develop and maintain the applications. The solution has some cool features, but some features could be a bit complicated. The debugging is cool because you just click on the page and directly edit a component on it.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not a partner of Oracle Application Express (APEX). I work in a company that uses Oracle products.

As Oracle Application Express (APEX) seems to be a good solution, I'd rate it seven out of ten. It has some issues that, if fixed, would make it better.

Oracle Application Express (APEX)
    November 2022
    656,862 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Enterprise Architect at Prinzhorn IT
    This solution builds fast, web-based, data-driven UIs, but I would love to see more integration with other tools
    • "One of the most valuable features is the ability to build very fast data-driven UIs."
    • "I would like to see easier integration into active directory authentication. Also, maybe integration of JavaScript frameworks would resolve some issues."

What is our primary use case?

I would call them small supporting applications, so we use them when we need a web UI for certain users to show data from our environment, mainly in operations.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is the ability to build very fast data-driven UIs. Also, those UIs are web-based and don't require any deployment on the user side. We try to avoid complex add-ons or additions, so we stick to the standard features that APEX provides. We also use it for some workflows and to present data out of services or databases.

What needs improvement?

I think version control can be improved, meaning the ability to track what has changed from the previous version of the application and to see it in standard tools like the code repository. I know in the last versions they were working on it, but I haven't seen it yet.

The product deployment could be easier.

In the past, I've thought about dockerization, or the ability to deliver the application as a docker container, and establish the production environment in a job.

What I would love to see is more integration. I would like to see easier integration into active directory authentication. Also, maybe integration of JavaScript frameworks would resolve some issues.

We have been using APEX for at least eight to ten years.

The solution is highly stable and we have had no issues with it. On a scale of one to five, where one is highly stable and five is not, I would rate it as a one.

The scalability could be improved. It depends on the use cases. We will never use this solution for a productive environment with 500 to 1000 users because this would be a bit difficult in my opinion. I would say that the scalability for small applications is good, but the scalability for big applications is bad.

About 100 to 150 people are currently using the solution at my company.
    We are continuously building small applications, but we don't plan to use this solution to make big applications. It's very use case driven. When we get a use case that is not big and it's easy to create a web-based application, then we use this solution. So we may extend our use of the solution, but we do not plan to migrate anything directly to it.

On a scale of one to five, where one is easy and five is complicated, I would rate the initial setup as a four.

We always lose a lot of time with our outsourcing partner because we don't host the service on our own. This takes some time, so to create the concept for us between the different environments and to do implement it, I would say it takes a minimum of five days.

When you have a licensed database in an Oracle environment, APEX is free.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell those considering this tool that if you have an Oracle environment, it's worth taking a look at. If you don't have an Oracle environment in place, it's the wrong tool. Also, I would tell them to stick to the standard functionalities of APEX and not try to extend it with custom code. We learned that if you stick to the standards the application gives you, it's easy to maintain and it's easy to transfer from one developer to another. If you start to create custom code in hidden areas, it's very hard for the next developer to find the code.

I would rate this solution as an eight out of ten.

Consultant at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Develop applications quickly and easily, with excellent technical support
    • "The most valuable features are security, stability, and ease of implementation."
    • "The collaboration and the workflow engine could use some improvement."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for developing applications to help with the daily work, customer support, and for production in small to medium-sized businesses.

How has it helped my organization?

It's a large organization producing energy. APEX is a platform that helps in the daily works of many parts of the organization. It is not producing any energy, although it is helping us to save energy that is is the result of friction between the different areas of the enterprise.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are security, stability, and ease of implementation.

You can concentrate on the solution. You don't have to worry about the environment, the security, the servers, or the access. It is all there automatically.

Communication and solutions are easier to use.

What needs improvement?

The collaboration and the workflow engine could use some improvement. If you have a larger team working with APEX, it is not that easy to synchronize the team. It is easier with a code-rich application because of the tools. It is not that easy in a low-code environment.

In the next release, I would like to see a better workflow tool.

I have been using this solution since 2005.

This solution is very stable. We have never experienced any issues.

This solution is scalable. We have not come anywhere near the maximum with our engines.

We have never experienced any performance issues or performance warnings in our company.

We have 3000 users in our company, but not all of them are using the same application at the same time.

We have many applications with many departments and it's used every day. They are using applications with APEX. They are not developing in APEX, but they are using APEX solutions to launch, for feedback, for security, and monitoring.

The technical support is excellent.

Previously, we did not use another solution. We used a different form of Oracle. There haven't been that many solutions available or programming platforms. APEX was the first local solution.

It was the only solution at the time.

The initial setup is quite straightforward and very easy.

With one person, it took half an hour to install and get running.

We have two people to maintain this solution.

This solution was implemented 15 years ago with the help of our team.

There are zero costs. It's a free solution with no additional costs.

We are using a point system, but it's only being used with a few applications at the moment.

What other advice do I have?

Once you start to develop with APEX, you will be hated by programmers and coders. They will want to show you that they can do the same as you can do.

My advice would be to just use this solution.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Konstantin K - PeerSpot reviewer
    Advisory Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Simple to develop, high availability, and plenty of online documentation
    • "The most valuable features of Oracle Application Express (APEX) are the ease and speed of development. Instead of engaging a large team of middleware, front-end, and database engineers, we can have professional look at the front end and have the user interface up and running in a matter of days. However, if you want to go far and implement very custom features, it doesn't require a lot of knowledge of front-end development, such as HTML, JavaScript, or other aspects."

What is our primary use case?

Oracle Application Express (APEX) can be used for anything which requires quick creation of a user interface with user interaction with a database. Sometimes it's used more for reporting, but in many cases, it's for interactive reporting or interactions with the tool to record dates in the database. For example, it can be used for internal use within the company for the testing team to conveniently add test cases. Additionally, it can be used for comprehensive reporting for the financial teams, they can perform some work related to revenue recognition.

I didn't work with big projects exposed to the public, the use cases were mostly internal platform projects.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Oracle Application Express (APEX) are the ease and speed of development. Instead of engaging a large team of middleware, front-end, and database engineers, we can have professional look at the front end and have the user interface up and running in a matter of days. However, if you want to go far and implement very custom features, it doesn't require a lot of knowledge of front-end development, such as HTML, JavaScript, or other aspects.

I have been using Oracle Application Express (APEX) for approximately 10 years.

The stability of Oracle Application Express (APEX) is 100 percent. It is highly stable.

Oracle Application Express (APEX) is highly scalable and can serve up to a required number of users. However, I do not have experience with serving more than approximately100 users. I'm always advertising this tool as being scalable. Bring in the shop.oracle.com as an example, because that site is running on Oracle Application Express (APEX), and you can imagine it can serve up to an unlimited number of users. With good hardware behind the solution, it's scalable, but since I don't have direct experience, I'm pretty sure it's scalable to any possible level. My confidence level in that is 90 percent scalable.

I have not had the need to contact technical support because of the number of resources and amount of information available with only a couple of mouse clicks, such as documentation, Q&A, and FAQ, they have a lot of material available. I know that browsing those websites people sometimes face some issues with not having their issue resolved, but this has not been my experience.

Oracle Application Express (APEX) comes with Oracle. The Oracle price itself. I do not know the exact cost. Oracle is flexible on its price. If you overspend on your hardware, then I don't think you will overpay. I heard that Oracle is more expensive than other databases, but when you consider Oracle is the best traditional relational database out there. You get what you pay for.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Oracle Application Express (APEX) a nine out of ten.

Luís Silva - PeerSpot reviewer
      Chief Technical Lead at Human Code
      It's a solid "low-code" solution that works quite well for simple and complex scenarios of data-intensive applications
      • "Oracle APEX's reporting features are simple yet powerful. The ability to quickly create CRUD screens has simplified many RAD discovery processes, while the APEX environment allows the product owners and dev teams to quickly understand the complex solutions and employ usage statistics to identify areas requiring improvement. The option to add external JavaScript tools in screen development enables the development of complicated mobile or web usage scenarios in rare cases where the APEX UX is not enough."
      • "Oracle should implement vertical and horizontal data segmentation in APEX's security framework, so Dev teams don't need to do any heavy lifting in the APEX screens. This is a common issue in enterprise apps. It would be nice to seamlessly integrate Git repositories into the development process since the current solution can result in overlapping work or an eventual overwrite. The provided example apps are great, but they could benefit from some added documentation in the "explanation screens"."

What is our primary use case?

Our business applications include healthcare, administrative, and planning tools. The environment consists of on-premise databases with an Oracle ORDS Tomcat stack and other JavaScript utilities on top of Linux Virtual Machines. There are legacy solutions, such as Oracle 11 with APEX 5.1 and Oracle 19 with APEX 20. These solutions have proven to be quite stable, but you need to do proper planning and profiling of heavy database transactions for more significant queries and heavy transaction processing.

How has it helped my organization?

Oracle APEX has proven to be a solid "low-code" solution that works quite well for simple and complex scenarios of data-intensive applications. Integrating the tool with the robust underlying Oracle Database allows a team to quickly create and deploy functionality iteratively. Running the tool on top of Linux-based virtual machines can slow things down, but the work gets done, and using the Oracle XE editions for some clients has been an adequate solution for POCs or even small non-critical production apps.

What is most valuable?

Oracle APEX's reporting features are simple yet powerful. The ability to quickly create CRUD screens has simplified many RAD discovery processes, while the APEX environment allows the product owners and dev teams to quickly understand the complex solutions and employ usage statistics to identify areas requiring improvement. The option to add external JavaScript tools in screen development enables the development of complicated mobile or web usage scenarios in rare cases where the APEX UX  is not enough.

What needs improvement?

Oracle should implement vertical and horizontal data segmentation in APEX's security framework, so Dev teams don't need to do any heavy lifting in the APEX screens. This is a common issue in enterprise apps. It would be nice to seamlessly integrate Git repositories into the development process since the current solution can result in overlapping work or an eventual overwrite. The provided example apps are great, but they could benefit from some added documentation in the "explanation screens".

I've been using Oracle APEX since 2006.

Oracle Apex is stable.

Oracle Apex scales well, but you need a good admin who knows how to work with DBA and Linux.

Oracle support has room for improvement.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

Setting up APEX requires Oracle and Linux admin experience.

We implemented APEX with an in-house team.

APEX is free, but Oracle Database is not.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Oracle APEX eight out of 10. It's a good tool that needs more promotion, particularly the cloud solution.

CTO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      Easy initial setup and scalable but lacks process management
      • "The solution's most valuable aspect is its Graphics Form Design."
      • "The solution has some stability problems that need to be resolved."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily want to use the solution for rapid development.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable aspect is its Graphics Form Design.

The initial setup is quite simple. I was able to handle it myself.

The product can scale if you need it to.

What needs improvement?

The solution does not offer everything under one umbrella solution.

In terms of the VPNs and process management, Oracle can make it better. It's an area that definitely could be improved upon. They really don't have anything going on there.

The solution has some stability problems that need to be resolved.

The product should add a separate site with a development language supporting Java, or other languages such as this.

I've been using the solution for about three months or so. It's quite a new solution for us. We're still in the testing phase.

The software seems to have stability issues. It can crash or the software can shut down and sometimes it doesn't return. I'm not sure what causes these issues.

The product has inside solutions for scalability. You can expand using a talented application server. We tend to have loads of balance there and we find it to be scalable.

We're currently in evaluation mode, and therefore have a limited amount of users on the solution currently. It's not fully rolled out.

We haven't been in touch with technical support per se. We have referenced documentation and other materials to assist us. I can't speak to the effectiveness or knowledgeability of their services.

We didn't use any previous solution.

The initial setup was not complex at all. It was very easy and quite straightforward. A company shouldn't have trouble with the implementation.

I handled the initial setup myself. I did not need the assistance of a consultant or integrator.

We also looked at other options. We thought about doing a combination of two solutions due to the fact that the process management was very weak.

What other advice do I have?

We are just customers and end-users of the product.

We are still running a test, or a POC, to see if we like how the system operates for our organization.

I would rate the solution at a six out of ten. If it had VPN process management, I would likely rate it higher.

While I would recommend the solution, it would depend on an organization's requirements.

Freelancer with 1-10 employees
      It has a well-designed architecture and is a simple 3rd party application
      • "It has a well-designed architecture and is a simple 3rd party application."
      • "It has been reported that the technology is very hard to learn, and the service is expensive."

What is our primary use case?

The APEX database is based on a SaaS service. We use a distributor based in Malaysia for that. We integrate this with other Oracle technologies. To use Oracle Apex, you require a licence. We rely on our distributors for the service, and then we advise our end users and support them. Our clients invest in Oracle technology for their application platform. Still, the devil is in the detail with the contract, explaining how the new technology enhances their solution.

How has it helped my organization?

It is risky to move to a new staging instance or new solution, which may cause an issue. In Malaysia, we don't need to take any risks. It is a mostly new architecture. Our clients are mainly in government.

What is most valuable?

Our clients use this solution continuously. It has a well-designed architecture and is a simple 3rd party application. Our clients really like the new version. It does not need to be maintained very often.

What needs improvement?

It has been reported that the technology is tough to learn, and the service is expensive. The online supporting documentation could be better and offered in other languages, as Malaysian does not seem to be covered. Oracle could improve server and data migration from the cloud. This is achieved easier via a hybrid version. Sometimes we perform migrations and have to roll them back, as there are unforeseen issues.

We have been using APEX since 2020. It's a cloud service, with a cloud structure.

Oracle is stable, as it is a data container, and it includes advanced framework development.

We have considered Azure Cloud, Oracle Cloud, Google GCP and Microsoft Azure. Oracle has value in that they have related products. We have been looking at products to standardise, and hence is why we chose Oracle as a uniform solution.

The implementation for clients is the responsibility of the distributor or reseller. The consultants must go directly to the users to understand their requirements. Implementation is usually carried out on-premise.

Pricing is expensive overall on an enterprise system, but we consider that it gives corresponding value to the product. It becomes more expensive when more products are added to the main product. The Apex element itself is free to use, so it's useful for learning individually.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Apex 10 out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud

Other
      Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Integrator (solution provider)
      Download our free Oracle Application Express (APEX) Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
      Updated: November 2022