IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

No Magic MagicDraw OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

No Magic MagicDraw is #10 ranked solution in Business Process Design tools. PeerSpot users give No Magic MagicDraw an average rating of 8 out of 10. No Magic MagicDraw is most commonly compared to Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect: No Magic MagicDraw vs Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.
What is No Magic MagicDraw?

No Magic MagicDraw is a versatile solution designed to enable users to work on everything from business processes to architecture or software and system modeling.

No Magic MagicDraw is an extremely robust solution that is designed for a range of professionals. This product is invaluable to business analysts, software analysts, programmers, QA engineers, and documentation writers. It is a highly dynamic and versatile tool that can aid in the analysis and design of Object Oriented (OO) systems. It maximizes the ability of teams to work in tandem by allowing everyone working on a particular project to automatically gain access to the newest version of the model that they are working on. This way everyone can work on their part of the project without having to worry about updating each part of the project individually.

Benefits of No Magic MagicDraw

Some of the benefits of using No Magic MagicDraw include:

• The ability for users to easily adapt to the overall feel of the solution. Users will easily get used to the layout of No Magic MagicDraw regardless of the field they are coming from. Users also learn how to use No Magic MagicDraw features fairly easily. No Magic MagicDraw implements new features at the request of users. This means that the design of the solution is based on the specific needs of the people who use it. Users can quickly learn how to use the various features as they mirror the specific habits of those who use it.
  • The ability to access and manage models created by the software from anywhere in the world. Anyone who is authorized to work on the models can access them so long as they have an internet connection. Work can be completed at any time and from any place, which will greatly increase corporate productivity.

Reviews from Real Users

No Magic MagicDraw stands out among its competitors for a number of reasons. Two major ones are the way that it enables users to efficiently create models and the overall robustness of the solution. Users are given the ability to efficiently and accurately model the requirements of whatever it is that they are creating. No Magic MagicDraw provides users with many valuable features that allow them to maximize what they can do with the solution.

PeerSpot user Wayne L., a Systems Engineer at SIMTRS, notes the way in which No Magic MagicDraw allows users to create models more efficiently. He writes, “We are getting away from the old ways of writing a lot of papers and requirements documents, architecture documents, technical solution documents, interface documents - those days are gone. MagicDraw allows you to model the requirements, and by doing so, you've got a good chance of not missing any requirements. The old way of doing things was to decompose the requirements into shell statements. But when you model it, you will be able to practically make sure you don't miss anything. MagicDraw has a good modeling tool you use for case diagrams. Its use case diagram is part of the UML and SysML that you can use to model requirements to create an architecture. I've created a lot of architectures for the Army and also mapped those components of the architecture as the test procedures.”

PeerSpot user Terry J., the president at I2R, Inc., notes the robustness of No Magic MagicDraw when he writes, "When you look at it, No Magic is an all-encompassing tool. You can use it for business architecture design. You can use it for deploying an ERP system across your enterprise. However, it was initially designed and developed for model-based systems engineering. That's the systems engineering required to either produce an IP system or product. It takes away the mounds of paper and puts it into a model. It enables you to generate significant savings by modeling that new product or that system before you ever start developing a prototype."

No Magic MagicDraw was previously known as MagicDraw.

No Magic MagicDraw Buyer's Guide

Download the No Magic MagicDraw Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2022

No Magic MagicDraw Customers

Northrop Grumman, Labcorp, Deposco, ClearView Training, IT Services Promotion Agency, Intelligent Chaos, Metalithic Systems Inc., Sodifrance

No Magic MagicDraw Video

Archived No Magic MagicDraw Reviews (more than two years old)

Expert System Engineer at a transportation company with 51-200 employees
Can be customized to your needs and the technical support is good
  • "The technical support is very good."
  • "The cost of upgrading the product should be lower."

What is our primary use case?

We use MagicDraw for model-based systems engineering. It differs from standard systems engineering applications by using models, as opposed to words or sheets. We define our system or subsystems via models and interfaces and then define the relationships between them. It is used mostly during the design phase of all of our projects. After the production and testing phases, it is no longer used.

What is most valuable?

This solution can be customized to your needs. The technical support is very good. It is easy to set up and use.

What needs improvement?

The cost of upgrading the product should be lower. It would be useful if there were a way of comparing the production and design models. It is not necessary because there are other tools to validate the design but having it included would be good.

I have been using MagicDraw for more close to four years.
No Magic MagicDraw
May 2022
Learn what your peers think about No Magic MagicDraw. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2022.
598,116 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is very stable. They also update the software and when they do, they send an email to let us know what has changed and what new features we can use.

We have six users in the company.

I have been in contact with technical support and they are always there to help you. Whenever I need something, they help me. For example, I was trying to create numbers for a subsystem that followed a pattern like A1, A2, A3... but I could not find it in the program. When I contacted support, they told me that it was possible and they taught me how to do it. In the end, I was able to do it.

The initial setup is very easy.

I set up this software and the Teamwork Server that we use to allow multiple people to work on the same projects. After receiving the software, it took me less than a week to deploy it.

In addition to the initial cost, you have to pay annually for support in order to get the upgrades.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is designing complex projects, like defense projects or space projects, is that they have to use this program or one like it. All of the stakeholders have to understand that they need to review the product using models, in addition to the documents. Following this will ensure that it is very easy to understand the product that is being designed.  I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Terry Jones - PeerSpot reviewer
President at I2R, Inc.
Quickly build multiple layers within the organizational and business process environments
  • "The most valuable feature is the ability to quickly build multiple layers within the organizational and business process environments, as well as in the SysML product environments, and converting to files that can be accessed by clients who do not have a system and a teamwork server access."
  • "I would like to see the ability to deploy live business process models and capture real-time data (without the need for another product tool) so you don't have to be dependent on other products for this functionality."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is enterprise modeling, providing integration between program management and systems engineering.  For several years now, I have focused on building a model for continuous improvement that integrates strategy planning, project management, analytics, process design, and change management that I can implement for clients. Magic Draw provides, I would say, an eighty-percent solution for this capability. More so than any other product that I've evaluated.

How has it helped my organization?

I use Magic Draw for program/systems modeling to support client engagements.

I used Magic Draw most recently to model from the strategic level down to the business process level for a company that is preparing for an ERP project. I was able to provide the client with an interactive tool that they can use to improve their existing business processes that cross multiple functional boundaries, accounting, logistics, manufacturing, marketing, sales, etc.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to quickly build multiple layers within the organizational and business process environments, as well as in the SysML product environments, and converting to files that can be accessed by clients who do not have a system and a teamwork server access.

What needs improvement?

The bottom line is that it's very frustrating to have to acquire multiple tools to build a business process automation capability. Magic Draw, with all its capability, comes the closest, at least in my opinion, to providing a complete product that supports both the business and engineering sides of the equation.

I have been using this solution for four years.

This solution fits my use case better than any other product that I have evaluated. Some of the competitors are ARIS BPM and Bizagi.

What other advice do I have?

Magic Draw has capabilities that I'm sure I haven't even touched on, but at least for what I'm attempting to achieve, it provides the most capability to meet my needs at this point in time.

No Magic MagicDraw
May 2022
598,116 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Terry Jones - PeerSpot reviewer
President at I2R, Inc.
This solution has the tools and capabilities to model a complete enterprise and all product lines

What is our primary use case?

Used for Business and Systems Engineering modeling. Its role is to support a defense program that consists of multiple product lines.

How has it helped my organization?

No Magic software has great capabilities in supporting integrated business and systems modeling.

What is most valuable?

No Magic has the tools and capabilities to model a complete enterprise and all product lines.

What needs improvement?

For the most part, No Magic is a great tool for modeling. However, there are some technical features that you have to study and do research on to be able to understand.

enterprise architect, IT architect, freelancer at Dr. Nink IT Consulting
Mighty mighty tool, heavy load of functions, make it easier for non UMLers by customization to your needs

What is our primary use case?

Model-driven documentation including project architecture management, system architecture modeling, reverse engineering of salesforce data model, and providing method & tooling for whole project for modeling all other concepts plus output management to Sharepoint, Confluence, HP ALM

How has it helped my organization?

Our approach has made it possible to work with single diagrams and concepts every day, publish our knowledge base for the project team every week, and deliver documents like IT architecture and IT design for quality gates every three months or so and in compliance to the software development process and its valued templates.

The approach of introducing a dedicated method as a domain specific language has made it possible to let more project team members contribute to our knowledge base.

A core of the knowledge base has been defined that is "mounted" into other models focusing on various aspects like process definition and requirements analysis. The architecture model delivers the lego bricks that the business uses for assembling processes and workflows.

What is most valuable?

• Plugin development implementing domain specific languages on UML making modeling much easier for non UML experts
  • Customized diagram types
  • Customized report templates for producing Word, Powerpoint, Excel from models
  • Producing complete architecture and IT design documents from models (model-driven documentation)
  • Generic tables as a diagram type that allows for viewing the same elements and relations of your diagrams as rows in a table with their properties as editable columns (such a great feature)
  • V18 comes with a mighty improvement for search called smart packages that allow you to save search request, materialize results, and feed generic tables.
  • Engineering and reverse engineering of data models and interfaces

What needs improvement?

As an architect who switches abstraction levels between enterprise architecture, project architecture, and system architecture I would highly appreciate standardized integration with EAM tools like Alfabet (formerly planningIT) e.g. using XMI.

The MagicDraw Teamwork Server allows for collaboration of modelers throughout an organization or even enterprise. But model size and concurrency are restricted due to the storage system. A real database storage layer in combination with lazy loading is needed to get rid of the necessity to split models in handy chunks today. Larger models slow you down; committing, updating, merging of branches and comparing of models (diff) do not scale yet; issues will hopefully be solved with upcoming V19.

Moreover, for EAM it is very important to not think in tons of models, but in an enterprise-wide repository (one database) instead with access via web portal and roles & rights management and alike enterprise features. Such features are subsequently built into the product (teamwork cloud, enterprise data warehouse) and will hopefully be merged in an upcoming version.

More than five years.

Due to the fact that the tool loads models completely in main memory (no lazy loading) large models in combination with low JAVA memory settings can lead to crashes. Someone in the team should be able to cut models into modules.

Letting larger teams work with one model concurrently without organizing partitions will highly increase waiting times due to lock & checking cycles.

Very good, excellent people, helpful advise.

The customer has own dedicated support team on site which solves >90% of the issues and routes <10% to the vendor support. I can recommend this approach.

I was used to IBM Rational and switched because you work with the standards of your customers, right?

Download tool, download plugins, installation wizard, activate

I built a plugin containing a UML profile, a dedicated diagram type, and report templates for the architecture method of my customer; I was building the plugin during an early phase of a larger project in an agile way delivering feature after feature at the time they were needed in the project

After having filled a good portion of knowledge into the repository the way you are working shifts more to searching already existing content and assembling or adapting it for current questions or changes. Where others start research in various document libraries I am now able to often answer questions in a matter of minutes with much higher quality. I alone can maintain all architecture documentation for a larger project as well as for one or two selected systems.

For most users standard floating licenses will suffice. For expert users and restricted features also provide some enterprise floating licenses (like 1 enterprise per 5 standard licenses). If possible provide a few named licenses for power users that work with the tool night and day otherwise they'll block more expensive floating licenses (calculate 5 users sharing 1 floating license).

I evaluated the most common approach as reference (Powerpoint, Excel, and Visio), Sparc Enterprise Architect because it is very well known in Germany, No Magic MagicDraw because it is the standard tool at the customer, and alfabet planningIT because it is the standard EAM tool at the customer.

What other advice do I have?

The most important factors of success when introducing the tool into your project organization:

1. Get someone who really knows it, can teach it, can configure it to your needs (method & tool expert)!

2. Get someone who really knows your model(s) and amends it frequently by refactoring the contents (librarian, may be the same person(s) as above)!

3. Do not wait half a year or even longer until your method is finished, it never will! Start the very first day, reserve 20-40% of 1. and 2. to iterate your method in an agile way. Start with the concepts you need first.

And don't forget to publish your content to your most frequently used channels like your project file share, Sharepoint, web server so that all project team members can consume your knowledge even if they cannot or do not want to use the tool.

Produce tables with elements from your models (diagrams) as input for project management, test management, migration management, whatever management!

Download our free No Magic MagicDraw Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: May 2022