NetApp Cloud Backup OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

NetApp Cloud Backup is the #4 ranked solution in top Cloud Storage Gateways, #5 ranked solution in top Disk Based Backup Systems, #13 ranked solution in top Deduplication Software, #24 ranked solution in top Cloud Backup tools, and #42 ranked solution in best Backup and Recovery Software. PeerSpot users give NetApp Cloud Backup an average rating of 7.0 out of 10. NetApp Cloud Backup is most commonly compared to NetApp SnapCenter: NetApp Cloud Backup vs NetApp SnapCenter. NetApp Cloud Backup is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 58% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 16% of all views.

Download the Cloud Backup Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is NetApp Cloud Backup?

NetApp Cloud Backup is a fully integrated service for cloud backup and restoration. It was created to comply fully with NetApp's native data management software ONTAP, used for  hybrid cloud experience. NetApp Cloud Backup is used to create backup and restoration for the protection and archiving of data, databases, and virtual machines related to the Cloud and On-Premises data in ONTAP. The way NetApp Cloud Backup works is by automatically creating block-level incremental backups. This ensures that the created backups are very fast and easy to restore. It is suitable for data protection regarding on-premises software as well as in the public cloud. NetApp Cloud Backup provides users with the ability to protect their cloud data at affordable prices and with a user-friendly interface so they don't need a lot of technical knowledge to be able to secure their cloud storage.

The copies created by NetApp Cloud Backup can be stored in the user's personal object storage in the cloud as well as on premises with StorageGRID - NetApp's storage platform. The backup copies can be restored to the original source or to a different source in Cloud Volumes ONTAP. NetApp Cloud Backup provides backups to AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud.

NetApp Cloud Backup Features

The features NetApp Cloud Backup provides include:

• Data recovery: NetApp Cloud Backup provides restoration of individual files as well as full volume recovery, based on the user's needs. The data can be retrieved from a specific point in time, giving clients even more assurance that their cloud-stored data can and will be saved.

• Indexed catalog: Another feature that NetApp Cloud Backup offers is a search catalog, providing multiple search criteria and the ability to locate a file across all backups.

• Various archival tiers: This feature provides the ability for multi-cloud support, including top services like Google Cloud Storage Archive, Glacier Deep Archive, Amazon S3 Glacier, and Azure Archive Storage.

• Encryption: End-to-end encryption allows users to feel more secure about their data.

• Cloud technology features: Additional features regarding cloud technology include the options for movement from CAPEX to OPEX and mixing BYOL and PAYGO.

NetApp Cloud Backup Benefits

In addition to enhanced security and protection from malicious attacks, the advantages of using NetApp Cloud Backup include:

• Aligns with the 3-2-1 backup strategy
  • Various levels of protection of data, including encryption and full customer control
  • Protection against ransomware, using different security methods
  • A wide variety of supported workloads, including databases, VMs, applications, NAS, and K8s

Reviews from Real Users

Abbasi P., a User at a financial services firm, likes that NetApp Cloud Backup is a completely agentless solution

A Service Manager at a tech services company values its stability, scalability, and good technical support.

NetApp Cloud Backup Pricing Advice

What users are saying about NetApp Cloud Backup pricing:
  • "Our usage depends on the number of licenses we have. On the cloud, it's a pay-to-use kind of model which suits our needs well. Once we have the Cloud Manager installed, the licensing process is okay, regardless of whether we're running backups in the cloud or on-premises. Sometimes, we have to restrict the number of users as per the contractual agreement and in this case we simply cut down on the licensing."
  • "NetApp Cloud Backup has a subscription-based model and it is paid annually."
  • "Cost could be lower."
  • NetApp Cloud Backup Reviews

Abbasi Poonawala - PeerSpot reviewer
    Chief Enterprise Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Simplifies our backups with an agentless backup manager, but needs better integration with in-house applications
    • "One feature that works well for us is that the Cloud Manager is a completely agentless solution. There's a similar dashboard on both the versions for on-premises and the cloud, and with reference to the Cloud Manager, it's a little faster because there's nothing to be installed as such. Being agentless, it doesn't require any agent to be deployed on the targets where the backups are triggered."
    • "One area that can be improved is around how we define the different KPIs. In particular, the business KPIs. I have my own in-house application for the business KPIs, so for example, with our policies around retention, which is a period of seven years, I have to read these parameters from other applications and I need them to integrate well."

What is our primary use case?

We are currently using NetApp Cloud Backup at our Bangalore data center. We have a longer retention period as per the regulatory compliance requirement, so we have to comply with the regulatory processes in relation to our periodic backups.

We have a lot of trade-related data which is all part of the regulatory process compliances, meaning we have to back up that data as well as back up the containers. So, for example, if I have some image which has been installed, then with the SECURE Act, we are required to secure the container images. And securing, in this sense, includes taking backups.

Typically, we're able to see the target, the dashboard, and the different containers that are running. And then we define the backup strategy for that. Along with NetApp Cloud Backup, we make major use of other products like Veeam and Nutanix with our hyper-converged solutions.

So it starts with the backup strategy, and then there are the backup policies based on that strategy. Those policies are enforced on the dashboard for the various hosts, and we can see whenever the real-time dashboard updates.

Basically, our usage depends on the number of licenses that we have. On the cloud, it is a pay-per-use kind of model. Currently it is pretty well-aligned to our needs, so once the backup manager is installed and it's up and running, whether it's in the cloud or on-premises, we're okay, unless the licensing agreement changes or something impacts the number of users. Sometimes we have to cut down on licensing, and restrict the number of users as per the contractual agreement.

As we are a customer of NetApp, it has been channeled through the vendor onboarding team, where there is representation from the APAC region to the entire central function of the vendor onboarding. There will typically be a system integrator who will be involved in case we need to procure certain specific services, particularly when it comes to professional support. If it's support that is provided by their partner, we consider that as well. There are a few available in India and it depends whether we go directly to the OEM or whether we go to the OEM partner.

What needs improvement?

NetApp Cloud Backup Manager should help to get this integrated seamlessly with other applications, meaning that it will populate the data around the different parameters. These parameters could be things like the retention period, the backup schedule, or anything. It might be an ITSM ticket, where it's a workflow that is triggered somewhere, and the ITSM ticket has been created for a particular environment like my development environment, an INT environment, or a UAT environment. This kind of process needs to integrate well with my own application, and there are some challenges. For example, if it allows for consuming of RESTful APIs, that's how we will usually integrate, but there are certain challenges when it comes to integrating with our own application around KPIs, whether it's business KPIs or technical KPIs.

What I want is to populate that data from my own applications. So we have have the headroom in the KPI, and we have the throughput, the volumes, the transactions per second, etc., which are all defined. And these are the global parameters. They affect all the lines of business. It's a central application that is consumed by most of the lines of business and it's all around the KPIs.

Earlier, it used to be based on Quest Foglight, which is an application that was taken up and customized. It was made in-house as a core service, and used as a core building block. But our use of Quest Foglight has become a bit outdated. There is no more support available, and it's been there as a kind of legacy application for more than ten years now in the organization. And now it get down to the question: Is this an investment or will we need to divest ourselves of it? So there has to be an option to remediate it out. In that case, one possibility is to integrate the existing application and it gets completely decommissioned. Here it would help if there were some better ways of defining or handling the KPIs in the Cloud Manager, so that most of the parameters are not defined directly by me. Those will be the global parameters that are defined across all the lines of business.

There are some integration challenges when it comes to this, and I've spoken to the support team who say they have the REST APIs, but the integration still isn't going as smooth as it could be. Most of the time, when things aren't working out, we need dedicated engineers to be put in for the entire integration. And then it becomes more of a challenge on top of everything. So if the Cloud Manager isn't being fed all the kinds of parameters from the backup strategy around the ITSM and incident tickets, or backup schedules, or anything related to the backup policies, then it takes a while. Ideally, I would want it to be read directly from our in-house applications.

And this is more to do with our kind of product processes; that is, it's not our own choice to decide. The risk management team has mandated this as part of the compliance, that we have to strictly enforce the KPIs, the headroom, and the rest of the global parameters which are defined for the different lines of business. So if my retention period changes from seven years to, let's say, 10 years or 15 years, then those rules have to be strictly enforced.

Ultimately, we would like better support for ITSM. The ITSM tools like ServiceNow or BMC Remedy are already adding multiple new features, so they have to be upgraded over a period of time, and that means NetApp has to provision for that and factor it in. Some of the AI-based capabilities are there now, and those things have to be incorporated somehow.

One last thing is that NetApp could provide better flash storage. Since they're already on block storage and are doing well in that segment, it makes sense that they will have to step up when it comes to flash array storage and so on. I have been evaluating NetApp's flash array storage solutions versus some others like Toshiba's flash array and Fujitsu's storage array, which are quite cost-effective.

I have been using NetApp Cloud Backup for almost three years.

Cloud Backup
    November 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about NetApp, Nasuni, Commvault and others in Cloud Backup. Updated: November 2022.
    655,774 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Regarding scalability, we can just keep on increasing the nodes so scaling is fast and we can keep on scaling up to the required performance. So that's okay in the cloud. If I'm doing it on-premises, then it becomes difficult. With NetApp as a cloud service provider which takes care of all the computing requirements, it's sufficiently scalable.

They have the support teams, so if you have any challenges around integration, upgrades, or troubleshooting on a day-to-day basis, they can help.

We need visibility around the entire product roadmap, so if the versions change, we need to know what dependencies are required and how it will be phased out. I will not stick to just one or two roll-outs. Instead, we're looking at at least 10 to 15. Some may say "As long as I'm getting my work done," and that's the kind of attitude that is not tolerated.

As managers, we are hard-pressed to get all the product roadmaps from vendors. NetApp helps to provide us with the visibility and support for all kinds of roll-outs and upgrades which they may have from time to time, every year or two years, or whatever.

There are sometimes challenges that result in dead-ends when we're sorting out the dependencies. For example, it can be difficult to tell exactly which dependencies are required. But this is something we work out while liaising with NetApp, in addition to getting info on things like end of support timelines, and so on. All these aspects are part of our infrastructure and compliance best practices from a risk management perspective.

When considering costs, NetApp works out better for us than the backup solution from Veeam. Although Veeam has a good footprint in India and the APAC region, NetApp has a bigger global footprint, making it more cost-effective for us to go with NetApp.

I have also evaluated the cloud backup solution by Veeam.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate NetApp Cloud Backup a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
    Service Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Reseller
    Performs well, good support, but ease of use could improve
    • "NetApp Cloud Backup performance is good and they have beneficial technology."
    • "NetApp Cloud Backup could improve by being easier to use. Veeam solution is easier to use."

What is our primary use case?

NetApp Cloud Backup is used to store and backup data.

What is most valuable?

NetApp Cloud Backup performance is good and they have beneficial technology.

What needs improvement?

I have been using NetApp Cloud Backup for approximately eight years.

NetApp Cloud Backup is stable.

The scalability of NetApp Cloud Backup is good.

We have approximately 20 clients using this solution.

The technical support is good.

I have used other solutions previously, such as Veeam.

We have certified engineers, the initial implementation was not difficult.

The time for the implementation depends on the customer's environment and the deployment method, such as cloud or on-premise.

We do the implementation of NetApp Cloud Backup.

NetApp Cloud Backup has a subscription-based model and it is paid annually.

If you do the right sizing when selecting the subscription there should not be any additional cost. This would apply to any backup solutions, such as Veeam or Commvault. If there are any additional costs it's because the initial sizing was not done well.

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend this solution to others.

When choosing a solution you need to find the one that best suits your use cases. The environment plays a big role when it comes to the setup and what you'd like to achieve.

I rate NetApp Cloud Backup a seven out of ten.

Cloud Backup
    November 2022
    655,774 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Joseph Galvan - PeerSpot reviewer
    Co-founder & Chief Architect at Prescriptive Data Solutions
    Reseller
    Stable, flexible and cost-saving
    • "Scalability is very good."
    • "Integration and reporting could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is BCDR, so business continuity and DR, particularly around file shares.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to do things the same way and failover to the Cloud in the event of a disaster or disruption and a little bit of data protection over time.

What needs improvement?

An area for improvement would be to add some kind of integration and reporting within NetApp or allow the customer to automatically see reports in the dashboard.

I've been working with this solution for about three years.

This product's stability is very good.

Scalability is very good.

I would say their tech support is really good.

Initial setup was pretty easy, I would say seven or eight out of ten for easiness.

We've seen savings with this product compared to the cost of a secondary and/or tertiary data center.

The cost of the product could be lower. The licensing fee is based on terabytes, which can add up quickly if you have a large capacity, but it can work well for both small and large customers.

What other advice do I have?

Smaller companies should be able to maintain this product easily with only one admin, but larger enterprises will require teams of up to twenty people. NetApp is our go-to storage platform because of its flexibility, adaptability, and the different types of protocols it provides. I would rate this solution as ten out of ten.

Download our free Cloud Backup Report and find out what your peers are saying about NetApp, Nasuni, Commvault, and more!
    Updated: November 2022